Who should/could be a Bond actor?

Comments

• mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Is that an opinion phrased as a fact I smell?
  • MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”
    Turner will destroy the franchise. We can’t let that happen!
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Oh look there's another:
    Dornan isn't a good actor and looks like a scared owl. No thanks.

As you might say:

That's not up for you to decide, old chap.

Funny how this facts/opinion thing only works when other people are posting, isn't it? ;)
    edited February 2022 Posts: 8,000
    Nah, I think he’s learned it from me ;) If you want to strongly push your opinion, you present it in a way that looks like certainty. This is why professional critics avoid using first person phrases. At least, that’s what professional critics used to do before pre-internet.

https://www.indiewire.com/2015/07/the-is-have-it-should-critics-use-the-first-person-130702/amp/
  • JeremyBondonJeremyBondon Seeking out odd jobs with Oddjob @Tangier
    Exactly MP. I'm a convert. Tis what it is.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Nah, I think he’s learned it from me ;) If you want to strongly push your opinion, you present it in a way that looks like certainty.

I think honestly it's a pointless thing for people on forums to go on about. If something is clearly a matter of opinion, then it's an opinion (Does Adrian Turner have two legs? Not a matter of opinion. Does he have movie star charisma? A matter of opinion). If someone can't understand that then they shouldn't be reading.
    mtm wrote: »
    Nah, I think he’s learned it from me ;) If you want to strongly push your opinion, you present it in a way that looks like certainty.

I think honestly it's a pointless thing for people on forums to go on about. If something is clearly a matter of opinion, then it's an opinion (Does Adrian Turner have two legs? Not a matter of opinion. Does he have movie star charisma? A matter of opinion). If someone can't understand that then they shouldn't be reading.

What about Jamison Dornham?
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    Denbigh wrote: »
    To be honest you can say something negative about anyone. Any actor, so if Jamie Dornan looking like a scared owl is considered a reason to not cast him, I'm not convinced. Aidan Turner looks like a rat, doesn't mean he couldn't do it.

A sewer rat, more precisely. Good observation.

Last rat standing.
  • ImpertinentGoonImpertinentGoon Everybody needs a hobby.
    To be honest you can say something negative about anyone. Any actor, so if Jamie Dornan looking like a scared owl is considered a reason to not cast him, I'm not convinced. Aidan Turner looks like a rat, doesn't mean he couldn't do it.

I had no idea there are other people who feel this way!
    I'm actually quite sad about this, because I do think he has a shot at it (it seems like @JeremyBondon is wearing me down with his constant assurances it will be him) and I really don't want to think of Bond like that.

Just to bring this back on track ( :) ), I think there was some talk about Harris Dickinson a while back, when the first pictures of The King's Man came out. I don't really like his styling in that film, but seeing him out of period costume makes me think he could work. His acting in King's Man is fine and he the action pieces he did were good, if limited by the limitations of the character. He is, however one of those guys where you really see how young he still is.
    I bring him up because he was recently nominated for a Rising Star BAFTA alongside Lashana Lynch, Ariana DeBose, Millicent Simmonds and Kodi Smit-McPhee (who could make a seriously weird Bond villain down the line).

harris-dickinson.png
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    I'm kind of surprised he's up for Rising Star as I thought he was well on his way, but yeah, I don't dislike the idea. Good looking fella and a good contrast to Craig, and a top actor too. A touch young, yes, but maybe that would work for them. And bear in mind it'll probably be another three years yet until B26 so he'll be at least 28.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    I quite enjoyed him in The Kings Man, but I do think he looks too young. I'm not opposed to a younger than usual actor for the role, but I think an actor that could still get away with being 18 is a bit too far.
  • sandbagger1sandbagger1 Sussex
    Well I'm going to be the jerk who says he doesn't like his face. Completely subjective (not to mention shallow) , but for me I think he's one of the weirdest looking candidates - I just find his face odd. It's his nose, I think.

On the other hand, I've yet to see him in anything. Maybe his performance will win me over.
  • ImpertinentGoonImpertinentGoon Everybody needs a hobby.
    I was suprised to see that he was 25. Would have put him closer to 30 and thought he would be 31/32 by the time B26 got rolling. As is, he probably is only a candidate if they go heavy on the origin aspect. Probably the first candidate I've seen on here where the idea that he could be in the role too long is in play. Starting at 28, he could do it for 25 years. That's a long, long time.
  • 00Heaven00Heaven Home
    Well I'm going to be the jerk who says he doesn't like his face. Completely subjective (not to mention shallow) , but for me I think he's one of the weirdest looking candidates - I just find his face odd. It's his nose, I think.

On the other hand, I've yet to see him in anything. Maybe his performance will win me over.

I'm with you on that one.

The Man With the Invisible Clothespin on His Nose
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    edited February 2022 Posts: 5,834
    I'm gonna throw Sean Teale's name back into the ring. He's not high on my list, and he probably needs to do a few more projects, but honestly I can see it.

https://www.imdb.com/name/nm4148614/?ref_=nmls_hd
  • sandbagger1sandbagger1 Sussex
    I'm gonna throw Sean Teale's name back into the ring. He's not high on my list, and he probably needs to do a few more projects, but honestly I can see it.

https://www.imdb.com/name/nm4148614/?ref_=nmls_hd

I really want to see Incorporated. Teale is very likeable in interviews, but his character was bland in The Gifted, and as Nick in Skins he was the dumb jock. He needs a good role to put him in the Bond frame, imo.
  • 007InAction007InAction Australia
    In a September 2021 interview with Attitude ahead of the “No Time to Die” theatrical release, Whishaw pitched making James Bond an openly gay man in the franchise’s future. Daniel Craig’s tenure as 007 is now over following “No Time to Die,” and the search for the next Bond will begin sometime this year. Whishaw made his debut as Q in “Skyfall,” then reprised the role in “Spectre” and “No Time to Die.” Whishaw did not reveal if he’ll be back as Q in any future non-Craig Bond movies.

“God, can you imagine? I mean, it would be quite an extraordinary thing,” Whishaw said about a gay Bond. “Of course I would like to see that. I really believe that we should be working towards a world where anyone can play anything and it would be really thrilling if it didn’t matter about someone’s sexuality to take on a role like this. I think that would be real progress.”

https://variety.com/2022/film/news/ben-whishaw-james-bond-gay-character-unsatisfied-1235167497/

Cannot see that happening.........
    The only change I can see working for Bond’s sexual orientation is if they make him bisexual in the future.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    In a September 2021 interview with Attitude ahead of the “No Time to Die” theatrical release, Whishaw pitched making James Bond an openly gay man in the franchise’s future. Daniel Craig’s tenure as 007 is now over following “No Time to Die,” and the search for the next Bond will begin sometime this year. Whishaw made his debut as Q in “Skyfall,” then reprised the role in “Spectre” and “No Time to Die.” Whishaw did not reveal if he’ll be back as Q in any future non-Craig Bond movies.

“God, can you imagine? I mean, it would be quite an extraordinary thing,” Whishaw said about a gay Bond. “Of course I would like to see that. I really believe that we should be working towards a world where anyone can play anything and it would be really thrilling if it didn’t matter about someone’s sexuality to take on a role like this. I think that would be real progress.”

https://variety.com/2022/film/news/ben-whishaw-james-bond-gay-character-unsatisfied-1235167497/

Cannot see that happening.........

They’ve misquoted the interview: it says that he was asked whether an out gay actor could take on the role, not that the character would change sexuality. His quote is fairly clearly referring to the actor, not the role.

Just realised I must have seen him on stage with Tim Dalton back in the 2000s: I didn’t register that it was Whishaw.
    The only change I can see working for Bond’s sexual orientation is if they make him bisexual in the future.

He's a double-0. He wouldn't let something like that get in the way of a successful accomplishment of a mission. Even as a straight man - or one who's preference is straight - he's already risked STDs countless times, not to mention drug addiction (read the books; I'm not referring to torture), alcoholism, lung cancer (and smelly clothes, hair, car interior, flat interior, and bad breath) and the cancer-originating smoking habit and the resulting urge for a smoke including at time when it would be extremely distracting. He's figured from the start that he's going to die on the job so he won't deny himself various pleasures, but those can lead to problems that make him perform poorly. Being in a position to engage in same-sex relationship or activities pales in comparison with some of these !
    I forgot to add: Despite his preference to opt always for the Best - in food, drink, clothing, etc. - he's driven some rather humble vehicles along the way. Ugh !
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited February 2022 Posts: 14,861
    Since62 wrote: »
    I forgot to add: Despite his preference to opt always for the Best - in food, drink, clothing, etc. - he's driven some rather humble vehicles along the way. Ugh !

Yes, I think he'd definitely kick himself way more about driving a 2CV than if he'd just had sex with some guy :))
    Just finished watching season 2 of The Witcher. Anybody knows about Bart Edwards? Has he been mentioned here? British, 33, seems handsome enough. No idea how skilled he is, how tall he is and not sure about his voice, but otherwise any thoughts?
  • 00Heaven00Heaven Home
    Ludovico wrote: »
    Just finished watching season 2 of The Witcher. Anybody knows about Bart Edwards? Has he been mentioned here? British, 33, seems handsome enough. No idea how skilled he is, how tall he is and not sure about his voice, but otherwise any thoughts?

He looks bloody lovely... But can he act?
  • If we're talking about 20s-something actors, I've been interested in Leo Suter ever since seeing him in the show Beecham House a couple years ago. He doesn't have a huge resume yet, but he is playing one of the main characters in the new Vikings series about to drop in a few weeks on Netflix (Vikings: Valhalla). He's currently 28, from London, 6'2. I think he's fairly masculine for his age, though he'd obviously still need a few more years to age into it. And I get that the beard and everything make him look tougher in these shots, but still...

vikings-valhalla-photo-leo-suter-1397407-large.jpeg

intro-1632604041.jpg

72089b31382064df9d86402e14ee45afc662448a.jpg

I originally saw him in Beecham House, and even though he wasn't the main character (played by Tom Bateman, who is also becoming a candidate himself), and the show being mediocre, and him only being in his mid-20s, he still instantly made me think of Bond. His character was arrogant and a killer, but also very charming and a great lady's man.

Leo-Suter-plays-Daniel-Beecham-d2a8be3.jpg

And like I said earlier, I don't think he comes across as too boyish on the screen, and he has kind of a lower pitched voice which I like. He also played in Sanditon along with Theo James. A lot of the female fans of the show actually wanted the main lady to end up with Suter's character instead of Theo James' character. Anyways, maybe this role on this Vikings show will help move along his career.

wylde_leo_1_web.jpg

More pictures from this photo shoot: https://abookof.us/nextchapters/leo-suter

• edited February 2022 Posts: 175

I've never heard of him until now, and I've never seen his name mentioned. Based on pictures and videos I just watched he seems like he could be a good candidate though. Nice new suggestion. I've already added him to my IMDB list of possible candidates. It doesn't show his height anywhere, but based on pictures he doesn't look too overly short at the very least. In pictures he stands taller than women in high heels, which is more than can be said about supposed candidate Jack O'Connell.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Good suggestions!
    00Heaven wrote: »

He looks bloody lovely... But can he act?

Haven't seen him enough to judge. Just in his few scenes on The Witcher and let's be honest, while I enjoy the show, it's not exactly demanding. But if they're looking for avlesser known British actor, at least he fits that part of the bill. And I think he's got the right look.
  • Jordo007Jordo007 Merseyside
    Great shout @HarmonyRockets . I think he's been suggested before, his name rings a distant bell. Definitely worth a screentest