NO TIME TO DIE - Questions Thread

Comments

• ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    8lgky.gif
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    After Blofeld dies, we go back to Q-Branch and see that the Valhalla is no longer in the wind tunnel! Where did the Valhalla go? Perhaps 009 came to pick it up?

Replacing it in the wind tunnel is Q's 'stealthy bird' glider sub.
  • NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    QBranch wrote: »
    After Blofeld dies, we go back to Q-Branch and see that the Valhalla is no longer in the wind tunnel! Where did the Valhalla go? Perhaps 009 came to pick it up?

Interesting catch! I'd like to think it went to 009 after the Tiber debacle.
  • matt_umatt_u better known as Mr. Roark

The Valhalla was supposed to be taken and driven by Nomi at that point to hunt Ash, but then halfway through filming they decided to give her the Superleggera instead. So yeah, perhaps 009 is the one that took it! :)
    Ah yeah, I remember reading that here.
  • VenutiusVenutius Yorkshire
    matt_u wrote: »
    yeah, perhaps 009 is the one that took it! :)

Yes - after what happened last time, 009 went straight down there and took the Valhalla as soon as he heard that Bond was back! ;)
  • marcmarc Universal Exports
    Or maybe 009 thought this was a 007 thing and took it before Nomi returned from Cuba.
    Venutius wrote: »
    yeah, perhaps 009 is the one that took it! :)

Yes - after what happened last time, 009 went straight down there and took the Valhalla as soon as he heard that Bond was back! ;)

Makes you wonder what the MI6 Slack would be like.
    “Bond is in the office, anything you guys have pending with Q, pick it up IMMEDIATELY!”
  • marcmarc Universal Exports
    ... and hide your cats ...
  • BondAficionadoBondAficionado Former IMDBer
    edited January 2022 Posts: 1,884
    Thanks for answering my earlier questions. Too many replies to respond to.

I really need to watch the film again to see who's speaking to Primo during their raid on the lab. I could have sworn it was Safin but that's not possible since it seems like Primo only hears from him after Blofeld's death later on.

I can't include an image because this site is still in 1992, but I was right about it being Safin talking to Primo when he enters the lab. Well, according to the film's subtitles.

Although now I don't understand who Primo or the rest of the 'SPECTRE' team are working for. They can't possibly be working for Safin at this early stage can they? The whole idea is that they're doing this for Blofeld in order to kill Bond correct?
    The voice talking to Primo during the lab scene doesn't sound like Safin or Blofeld. On each viewing it struck me as someone else from SPECTRE overseeing this operation. Blofeld's unseen manager in the field.
    edited January 2022 Posts: 7,526
    The voice talking to Primo during the lab scene doesn't sound like Safin or Blofeld. On each viewing it struck me as someone else from SPECTRE overseeing this operation. Blofeld's unseen manager in the field.

Someone talks to Primo? What are the lines? Isn't that just voiceover of Safin talking to Valdo?
    edited January 2022 Posts: 13,892

Someone talks to Primo? What are the lines? Isn't that just voiceover of Safin talking to Valdo?

Primo says: "We're in."

Foreign voice: "Proceed."

Guy sounds Russian.
    I've just watched the lab kidnapping scene twice now and can't identify when Primo says "we're in" or anyone says "proceed".

What visually is happening in this moment?

EDIT: Ah, I just got it. I didn't start the scene early enough. Yeah, the "proceed" guy just sounds like someone with a Russian or similar accent. Not Blofeld, and certainly not Safin, as that would be detrimental to the entire story of NTTD.
    I've just watched the lab kidnapping scene twice now and can't identify when Primo says "we're in" or anyone says "proceed".

EDIT: Ah, I just got it. I didn't start the scene early enough. Yeah, the "proceed" guy just sounds like someone with a Russian or similar accent. Not Blofeld, and certainly not Safin, as that would be detrimental to the entire story of NTTD.

But the subtitles on my digital copy show it as "[Safin on radio] Proceed."

This occurs prior to Safin calling Obruchev at his desk. And it does kinda sound like Rami Malek's accent.

Also I could've sworn it said the same at my cinema when I first watched it because that's why I was initially confused about Primo's allegiance having read that.
    Maybe Safin was hijacked the Spectre operation and went undercover as a Spectre commander to get Heracles. It would explain how he knew they were coming to tell Obruchev. My subtitles don’t say it’s Safin and to me it sounds nothing like him, but who knows. I was wrong for a long time about “It’ll be the death of *him*” so I’m not to be trusted. :))
    The guy saying Proceed is definitely not Safin for a lot of reasons. First, it doesn't make any sense. Second, the voice is not Malek's voice. Even in the italian dubbed version the voice is not Safin's voice. Then, the subtitles in the Amazon version of the film doesn't refer to Safin nor the international subtitles on my Blu-Ray as far as I know, I just checked. Perhaps it is just an error in the English subtitles. Errors happen all the time. In NTTD there are even a couple of errors in the subtitles when people speak in italian.
    The guy saying Proceed is definitely not Safin for a lot of reasons. First, it doesn't make any sense. Second, the voice is not Malek's voice. Even in the italian dubbed version the voice is not Safin's voice. Then, the subtitles in the Amazon version of the film doesn't refer to Safin nor the international subtitles on my Blu-Ray as far as I know, I just checked. Perhaps it is just an error in the English subtitles. Errors happen all the time. In NTTD there are even a couple of errors in the subtitles when people speak in italian.

Yep, agreed.
  • JWPepperJWPepper You sit on it, but you can't take it with you.

This occurs prior to Safin calling Obruchev at his desk. And it does kinda sound like Rami Malek's accent.

Also I could've sworn it said the same at my cinema when I first watched it because that's why I was initially confused about Primo's allegiance having read that.

I'm pretty sure it's Rami Malek.
    Is this the next Dolly's braces :D
    JWPepper wrote: »

I'm pretty sure it's Rami Malek.

He’s not lol.
    Is this the next Dolly's braces :D

I didn't even know these lines existed until this thread. :))
  • LeonardPineLeonardPine The Bar on the Beach
    Although Bond looked very smart in his jumper and combat trousers, I was wondering why he wasn't wearing a Kevlar vest in the island assault. He must of known there would be a firefight of sorts...🤔

I'm pretty sure Nomi was wearing one...
    edited January 2022 Posts: 2,923
    Just checked and, yes, the UK subtitles do say '[Safin] proceed'. It doesn't sound like Malek's voice to me, so it could be an error - because Malek's voice is very recognisable when he calls Borat, er, I mean Valdo a minute later.
    If it is Safin, he must be talking directly to Primo rather than to all of the Spectre agents on the mission; if it's not him, Primo must've had some way of signalling to Safin that they'd accessed the MI6 lab or how would Safin have known to call Obruchev? Either way, it would have to mean that Primo was a double agent all along, wouldn't it? Which would explain why he was the only Spectre agent who survived Cuba - because Valdo knew he was working for Safin, so he hadn't included his DNA in the Heracles vial.
    Thing is, when Ash meets Primo to recruit him for Safin, he says 'Sorry for your loss' - presumably in reference to Blofeld's death/the end of Spectre. Which would mean that Primo wasn't a double agent and only joined Safin after Spectre were dead. In that case, however, why didn't the Heracles vial kill Primo along with all the other Spectre agents in Cuba?
    Gah, I've got a headache now! All this from one stray attribution in the subtitles...
    Just checked and, yes, the UK subtitles do say '[Safin] proceed'. It doesn't sound like Malek's voice to me, so it could be an error - because Malek's voice is very recognisable when he calls Borat, er, I mean Valdo a minute later.
    If it is Safin, he must be talking directly to Primo rather than to all of the Spectre agents on the mission; if it's not him, Primo must've had some way of signalling to Safin that they'd accessed the MI6 lab or how would Safin have known to call Obruchev? Either way, it would have to mean that Primo was a double agent all along, wouldn't it? Which would explain why he was the only Spectre agent who survived Cuba - because Valdo knew he was working for Safin, so he hadn't included his DNA in the Heracles vial.
    Thing is, when Ash meets Primo to recruit him for Safin, he says 'Sorry for your loss' - presumably in reference to Blofeld's death/the end of Spectre. Which would mean that Primo wasn't a double agent and only joined Safin after Spectre were dead. In that case, however, why didn't the Heracles vial kill Primo along with all the other Spectre agents in Cuba?
    Gah, I've got a headache now! All this from one stray attribution in the subtitles...

The subtitles guy was probably confused because there are two people on phone calls with two different people in this scene.

My take: Primo was never a double agent. The subtitle is a mistake, OR, Safin hijacked the mission from Spectre and was communicating with Primo (highly unlikely, and pointless; Safin knew Spectre wanted Heracles and he was going to take it from them anyways, so Safin wouldn't have instructed Primo any differently than an actual Spectre mission commander). Heracles in Cuba didn't kill Primo because he wasn't a high ranking member; I think in the scene there are other Spectre henchmen-types that don't die? (or possibly, Safin didn't include Primo's DNA in the data dump because he foresaw him being useful in the future, who knows).
    Not Safin’s voice guys let’s just move on. It is an error featured only on the English sub of the Blu Ray.
    Move on to what? Seems like it was worth a discussion to me.
    Ah, so Cuba targeted the Spectre bigwigs and ignored the grunts - got it (at last...).
  • MalloryMallory Do mosquitoes have friends?
    Ah, so Cuba targeted the Spectre bigwigs and ignored the grunts - got it (at last...).

I am not sure if the new spectre continuity has “numbered agents”, but if it does, I suspect it would be them only.
  • ImpertinentGoonImpertinentGoon Everybody needs a hobby.
    I mean, they are not going to put every hired gun into their super secret, super important DNA database that they have of their main agents, for reasons. Do you have any idea what kind of workload and bureaucracy that would mean for SPECTRE HR?

Those guys are mostly temps from the Henchmen Hotline anyway and getting the paperwork squared in time for each event is a nightmare as is. Getting a DNA swab from everyone and then having Gladys, who actually really prefers the old card-based system anyway, to input all of that into the database in time for No 1's birthday party is just calling for you to be shortstaffed on the night.

That is actually the real induction ceremony. Forget getting the octopus ring in a candle-lit hall in some European capital. When they call you to spit in a cup in a dank office building in an industrial park outside of Paris is when you now you're in..