NO TIME TO DIE - Questions Thread

Comments

• matt_umatt_u better known as Mr. Roark
    edited December 2021 Posts: 4,343
    The nanobot harvesting is so rooted into the concept behind Safin’s base and the production design that is impossible they chanced it along the way during the 18 months hiatus because that would’ve required extensive reshoots.
    I think we will have these discussions about the nanobots coming in because of covid for decades to come, with new generations of fans discovering the film. It just makes too much sense if you look at it from the outside. The threat works like a virus, then there was a huge viral pandemic that killed millions and delayed the film for years and then in the final film the fact that they are nanobots that work like a virus, but not actually a virus, is really hard to follow and does feel grafted on. So I predict people will come up with this again and again, because it just looks so likely on the face of it. Only that it didn't happen as far as we know.
    Zarozzor wrote: »
    What is up with M's demeanor at the end? Did he know that Bond was going to die? Secretly upset about Heracles? The way he looks and acts just seems odd to me.

I haven't seen the film in a while, so I don't have the scene totally in my mind, but I would say it's him realizing/coming to terms with the fact that he completely screwed up.
    He should be very upset about what happened with Heracles. As far as we understand it, the whole situation isn't super far away from igniting an international conflict and he just ordered a missile strike, which is a very significant thing to do (and it's unclear how he is even allowed to do that) and will surely have foreign and security policy repercussions to come. On top of that, there is the whole situation of one of his agents being in peril/being dead (although it's not like him and Bond had a great relationship or anything).
    Honestly, if you look at everything M pulls in this film and all that happens under his watch, you'd think he'd resign the next day and pray they don't put him before whatever court is responsible if someone breaks the Biological Weapons Convention. So if you read it that way, he is in the middle of his entire life and career disintegrating right then and there.

Thanks, that’s actually a great explanation and makes sense.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    M tasks Q with hacking into Blofeld's eye to see what he can find out, which is when we're treated to the shot of Primo meeting with Ash. Is this because it's a video file that Primo sent to Blofeld, or were their eyes somehow connected throughout the film? Otherwise, I don't understand how he has the video clip.
    Yeah the eyes were connected with one another. Primo's eyes continued to stream even if it was took from Blofeld.
  • ImpertinentGoonImpertinentGoon Everybody needs a hobby.
    Primo's and Blofeld's eyes are constantly connected, as far as we know. So Blofeld basically sees on one eye what Primo sees at all times; or really what the eye sees, as Primo pops it out in Cuba for it to be carried around by the three bald guys.
    Which leads me to the question: Did Primo have only one eye when he is talking to Valdo while the nanobots are being prepared? Or are there multiple eyes? He clearly puts the one from the pillow into his eye socket after the bald guy drops dead, but did he not have an eye before that?

Also, it took me a while to realize that this means that Blofeld was able to see everything that happened in Matera first hand. Or at least until Bond punches the eye out. Doesn't mean all that much, but it's an interesting thought.

Also, having your boss see everything you see and apparently be able to talk directly into your head must be pretty annoying. Primo probably didn't have a lot of fun in that club in Jamaica.
    Thanks. I thought Q's computer said something about "accessing received video files" or something, which is what made me think they were connected or it was somehow sent his way.
    At some point during the Cuba chase, the neon letters on the roof are D & N in one scene. I think Saffin was Doctor No.

I also started to think, after seeing the film again, that some portions may have been changed during delay. I'm wondering if the Cuba scene is not a late add-on, explaining why it was the last scene shot with Craig as Bond.
  • MalloryMallory Do mosquitoes have friends?
    Stamper wrote: »
    At some point during the Cuba chase, the neon letters on the roof are D & N in one scene. I think Saffin was Doctor No.

I also started to think, after seeing the film again, that some portions may have been changed during delay. I'm wondering if the Cuba scene is not a late add-on, explaining why it was the last scene shot with Craig as Bond.

I believe the Cuba scenes were shot initially with De Armas only, as per the original schedule, then at the end of production with Craig due to him injuring his foot, and not because it was a late addition.
  • Stamper wrote: »

Once they start bringing back classic villains, then we know EON is in full Marvel mode, (I know they brought back Blofeld, but he always was a recurring character).
  • M_BaljeM_Balje Amsterdam, Netherlands
    edited December 2021 Posts: 4,415
    Seve wrote: »
    Feyador wrote: »
    But it raises another question, how the heck did Blofeld get away with wearing a bionic eye while in his cell? He was being monitored. Surely someone would have noticed a Blofeld that suddenly had two eyes?

Again, not that any of this detracts from my love & enjoyment of the film ....

That's what those in the biz refer to as a "plot hole"

Every Bond movie has a few

I hope Eon already plan and if not stil consider it,
    Blofeld in NTTD is a copy. For example: Refer back to Spectre the Blofeld behind glass when Bond shot on him is a copy, mabey same copy. Then only real Blofeld was the guy at meeting and mabey remean till after explosion of lair. Diamonds Are Forever trowback where Blofeld have two copy's. In Bond 26 or mabey later Blofeld played by new actor.
    I also think there is possible option refer in Bond 26 to NTTD Safin as Blofeld refer in FRWL to Dr No.
    I have strong believe Bond 26 will be OHMSS, DAF (First spoiler) and refer to Dr No (Spoiler 2).

Personaly i hoped NTTD end with escaped Blofeld with burnd unknown new face and using Safin mask as protection he found in the water. When i see trailer i first thaught there will be water comes to a secret door (the wall with 3 mask on it) and Bond will swim a in that water with fire around him (Who turn out Bond escape from Airplane). The movie have more Goldeneye reference i hoped on. With all bulding up with Nomi, how amazing it have been if she go back inside (with or without Bond), Bond waiting on her and she not comingback. Refer a bit then to AVTAK May Day (Directer have been fan of AVTAK).
  • VenutiusVenutius Yorkshire
    edited December 2021 Posts: 2,895
    Although the missile strike's going to destroy all the evidence, so he's off the hook for any actual charges - M's far too deeply embedded in the Establishment to face legal consequences if there's a way to sidestep them. Mallory may face 'retirement planning' and have to go, but it'll be quietly and neither Britain nor MI6 will be up in The Hague. The British State would see the death of one agent as a price worth paying for that outcome. Given Bond's sense of duty, he might even agree with them.
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    Well, the cost of changing it from viruses to nanobots would have been substantial...it's at least a whole new sound mix and at most reprinting thousands of prints...
  • ImpertinentGoonImpertinentGoon Everybody needs a hobby.
    Mallory wrote: »
    Stamper wrote: »

I believe the Cuba scenes were shot initially with De Armas only, as per the original schedule, then at the end of production with Craig due to him injuring his foot, and not because it was a late addition.

Fukunaga said in the official podcast that they shot the two parts of that sequence 6 months apart. They couldn’t push or extend de Armas‘ availability and Craig had screwed up his ankle at the time she was there. So he only did the non-stunt parts then, she did all her fight stuff with a double and then they picked up Craig’s side of things at the very end of the schedule, which is why it is the very last thing Craig shot.
  • VenutiusVenutius Yorkshire
    edited December 2021 Posts: 2,895
    Seeing as it was the final bit that Craig filmed, I do wish they'd kept the full shot of him going down the alley and turning the corner until he's out of sight. What's another three seconds in a film this long?
    Venutius wrote: »
    Seeing as it was the final bit that Craig filmed, I do wish they'd kept the full shot of him going down the alley and turning the corner until he's out of sight. What's another three seconds in a film this long?

I feel the same way, especially after seeing how emotional it was on set after the moment he turns the corner.
  • RyanRyan Canada
    Indeed. In the finished film it's a "blink and you miss it."
    When Bond and Madeleine first arrive in Matera, they drive out of frame, then we get a shot of the city before they drive back into frame at the bottom. Did they actually travel that distance in such a short period of time or is it just an odd cut so they managed to appear once more before cutting to the next shot? It seems implausible to me, and it's a minor thing regardless, but it's stood out to me with every viewing and I'm curious.
    In real life that’s a 2.30h drive.

It felt quite seamless to me. Not like in QoS where Bond drove his destroyed AM from Lake Garda to Siena… that’s a good 4.30h drive. Probably it felt weird to me because I was born very close to that road by the lake so I know that place extremely well.
  • FeyadorFeyador Montreal, Canada
    edited December 2021 Posts: 718
    Don't they drive into a tunnel [faked for the movie] and come out in Matera?
    Feyador wrote: »
    Don't they drive into a tunnel [faked for the movie] and come out in Matera?

Yep in the film Matera is supposed to be super close to the coast.
  • Creasy47 wrote: »
    When Bond and Madeleine first arrive in Matera, they drive out of frame, then we get a shot of the city before they drive back into frame at the bottom. Did they actually travel that distance in such a short period of time or is it just an odd cut so they managed to appear once more before cutting to the next shot? It seems implausible to me, and it's a minor thing regardless, but it's stood out to me with every viewing and I'm curious.

It's another one of those "continuous edits" like Bond getting into the V8. Another Matera example is we see Bond crossing the bridge in the distance as he heads to Vesper's grave, and as the camera pans to the cemetery, we see Bond already there. In the case of the DB5, it's probably two cars used for one shot, and a Bond stand-in on the bridge for the cemetery sequence.
    TheBondFan wrote: »
    Creasy47 wrote: »

It's another one of those "continuous edits" like Bond getting into the V8. Another Matera example is we see Bond crossing the bridge in the distance as he heads to Vesper's grave, and as the camera pans to the cemetery, we see Bond already there. In the case of the DB5, it's probably two cars used for one shot, and a Bond stand-in on the bridge for the cemetery sequence.

Excellent, thanks. I figured that was the case, just didn't look right to me.
  • SeveSeve The island of Lemoy
    edited December 2021 Posts: 357
    matt_u wrote: »
    Geez... again with this nonsense.

They based Safin's nanobots on some speculative science about how you can make nanobots with acid and bacteria. That's why there's a giant pool with Safin's minions working. That is basically a massive acid bath the nanobots are built in, the one Nomi calls "the farm". So that bacteria farm provides the raw material for Safin's deadly toxins, that are cultivated using the island's nutrient-rich volcanic waters. Then, in the "factory", those biochemical nanobots raised inside the pool are encoded and loaded in the vials.

It's not a virus. Never been a virus. But it works like a virus. You infect the people and the people become the weapon.

Plus, this nanobots idea dates back to TWINE. Purvis & Wade considered using nanobots for that film.

All of this is stated in the Making of and Taschen books.

Again a "Making of" can easily be fabricated after the fact

As far as I know you can't grow or "build" anything in a corrosive acid bath, which is what appears to be portrayed on screen, judging by the effect when someone falls into it.

The word "acid" relates to much more than sulphuric acid and the like, but to those who don't know any better, like movie script writers, acids must always be highly corrosive.

In scientific terms it just means "a molecule which can donate a proton or accept an electron pair in reactions."

In any case nanobots would not require any elaborate bacteria or toxins to kill you, they could much more easily release a simple everyday bubble of oxygen to clot a blood vessel or just cut you up from the inside.

More about nanaobots...
    https://nanowerk.com/what-are-nanobots.php
    Again, those books were done and finished before the delay, so that’s just pointless speculation. The Taschen book still has the original 2020 release date for NTTD do they even didn’t bothered to update it.
    Can we kindly stop fueling this nonsense?

Ah, and as far as I know, a lot of things featured in James Bond movies can’t be done in real life. XD
  • SeveSeve The island of Lemoy
    matt_u wrote: »
    Again, those books were done and finished before the delay, so that’s just pointless speculation. The Taschen book still has the original 2020 release date for NTTD do they even didn’t bothered to update it.
    Can we kindly stop fueling this nonsense?

Ah, and as far as I know, a lot of things featured in James Bond movies can’t be done in real life. XD

Mmmm, but Craig-Bond was meant to be more "gritty" and "realistic" wasn't he?
    Well every new movie has been less realistic than the previous one. NTTD even features that silly bionic eye stuff.
  • NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    The bionic eye stuff was cool. People here will complain about absolutely everything.
    The bionic eye stuff was cool. People here will complain about absolutely everything.

I was merely showing proofs that NTTD is not a realistic and grounded film like CR or QoS were. Is that allowed?
  • NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    Opinions aren't proofs.

CR and QoS both had things that were not realistic.

You're allowed to say whatever you want. And anyone is allowed to respond how they want to your opinions. I have no idea how "is this allowed" even entered the conversation.
    Okay so you are telling me that CR and QoS are less grounded and less realistic than NTTD?

A bionic eye through which Blofeld is able not only to see but to speak and communicate as well being “not realistic” is a fact not an opinion. Is that an opinion stating that the Earth is not flat..?
    I have no idea why you felt I was complaining about anything tho.