NO TIME TO DIE (2021) - Critical Reaction and Box Office Performance

Comments

• MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”
    I think MOONRAKER is the only entry in the series to actually be the #1 film of the year.

Maybe we should bring back the double taking pigeon.

Spider-Menace, watch out! ;)
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    So MR is the only Bond film we can be proud of? I love that!

"Well... here's to us."
  • matt_umatt_u better known as Mr. Roark
    All the people saying B25 did stellar returns for a pandemic film, that we couldn't have hoped for better need to explain how spider-man just absolutely trounced its numbers in the first weekend lol. The narrative that no film could do pre-pandemic numbers is falling apart before our eyes, no way home is set to be at least as successful as the first two entries, if not more.

If it wasn’t for the pandemic Spidey would’ve topped Infinity War globally so yes, even NWH is being damaged by COVID.
    The point is Spider-Man’s audiences are way younger than Bond and that demographic is the one that is keeping theaters alive, without mentioning that Spidey was always going to be way bigger.
    People trying to use Spidey’s insane numbers as a way to downsize NTTD’s great run are just pathetic.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    I think MOONRAKER is the only entry in the series to actually be the #1 film of the year.

Maybe we should bring back the double taking pigeon.

Spider-Menace, watch out! ;)

Well deserved if you ask me. Considering it's my #2 Bond movie. No joke. :)
  • MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”
    Murdock wrote: »

Well, it certainly stinks like a #2. ;)

I kid I kid, I love that bat**** film, double taking pigeon and everything about it.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    edited December 2021 Posts: 16,328
    Murdock wrote: »

Well, it certainly stinks like a #2. ;)

I kid I kid, I love that bat**** film, double taking pigeon and everything about it.

Same. It just gets better and better every time I watch it. :D
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    edited December 2021 Posts: 7,969
    DarthDimi wrote: »
    All the people saying B25 did stellar returns for a pandemic film, that we couldn't have hoped for better need to explain how spider-man just absolutely trounced its numbers in the first weekend lol. The narrative that no film could do pre-pandemic numbers is falling apart before our eyes, no way home is set to be at least as successful as the first two entries, if not more.

"B25" has a name.

The Bond films cannot--can never hope to reach the same levels as Spidey. But NTTD did better than Black Widow, Shang-Chi and Eternals, three films that carry the Marvel Avengers brand, one of which features a lead character from the big Infinity saga.

Spider-Man beating any Bond film was to be expected, in pre-Covid times as well as in Covic times. Returns can be stellar even if they aren't the highest of the year. Even Skyfall made less than The Avengers. So, bad film? We shouldn't be happy for SF now? First place or loser, something like that?

I'm not saying bond has to "beat spider-man" though. The point is that no way home didn't fall off compared to the two previous entries in the Tom Holland spidey series, in fact it could well best them. Spider-man has seen an upwards trajectory, even inspite of the new omicron variant, and it kinda blows a hole in the "B25 didn't do as well because of the pandemic" theory that seems to be so popular.

"B25" has a name.

The Bond films cannot--can never hope to reach the same levels as Spidey. But NTTD did better than Black Widow, Shang-Chi and Eternals, three films that carry the Marvel Avengers brand, one of which features a lead character from the big Infinity saga.

Spider-Man beating any Bond film was to be expected, in pre-Covid times as well as in Covic times. Returns can be stellar even if they aren't the highest of the year. Even Skyfall made less than The Avengers. So, bad film? We shouldn't be happy for SF now? First place or loser, something like that?

I'm not saying bond has to "beat spider-man" though. The point is that no way home didn't fall off compared to the two previous entries in the Tom Holland spidey series, in fact it could well best them. Spider-man has seen an upwards trajectory, even inspite of the new omicron variant, and it kinda blows a hole in the "B25 didn't do as well because of the pandemic" theory that seems to be so popular.

Please read @matt_u 's post. He sums it up well.
    matt_u wrote: »

If it wasn’t for the pandemic Spidey would’ve topped Infinity War globally so yes, even NWH is being damaged by COVID.

That's more of an assumption on your part than anything.

But even if that was the case, it still proves my point. Spidey is going UP compared to previous entries, whereas bond is declining. If the pandemic really was having that kind of impact then NWHs numbers should be lower than that of FFH and Homecoming, but they aren't. The demand to see spidey in cinemas INCREASED during the pandemic compared with before. We can't say the same about Bond.

But even if that was the case, it still proves my point. Spidey is going UP compared to previous entries, whereas bond is declining. If the pandemic really was having that kind of impact then NWHs numbers should be lower than that of FFH and Homecoming, but they aren't. The demand to see spidey in cinemas INCREASED during the pandemic compared with before. We can't say the same about Bond.

Can't you accept that Spider-Man is the one exception in this entire story? Three Marvel films did less than a Marvel film usually does. A Spielberg film fell flat right after its start. Dune missed its target, and so on. Bond isn't the exception, NWH is.

Can't you accept that Spider-Man is the one exception in this entire story? Three Marvel films did less than a Marvel film usually does. A Spielberg film fell flat right after its start. Dune missed its target, and so on. Bond isn't the exception, NWH is.

Yes exactly, you've proven my point. If Bond were the barnstorming success like has been claimed then it WOULD be the exception.
    You don’t have any point.

Yes exactly, you've proven my point. If Bond were the barnstorming success like has been claimed then it WOULD be the exception.

No one is saying that NTTD is crazy successful beyond measure, only that it has done very well all things considered. It more than passed its test without being the campus' Einstein.
    No one saw NTTD topping F9 worldwide before release. No one saw NTTD topping SP in the UK and other EU countries. No one saw NTTD being leggier than SP during a pandemic with PVOD available after just a month. Those are facts. NTTD exceeded expectations given the extreme circumstances, its older demographic and a 18 months delay.
    Also, 770 million is a pretty good result for a Bond film. Ever since SF's fluke success, some people seem to think that Bond is in that billion + zone. It isn't. We should stop setting our expectations that high. The series still has legs; it has loyal fans and it always brings in good money. But it isn't Star Wars or Marvel. The golden years were left behind over four decades ago.
  • Red_SnowRed_Snow Australia

The box office figures for Spider-Man are likely going up because everyone is trying to see it now, before cinemas are closed due to new lockdowns.
  • TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports
    edited December 2021 Posts: 4,548

Marvel is, for lack of a better word, a marvel. We're talking comic book fans who even dress up for conventions. Comparing Bond to Marvel (or Star Wars) is not a fair comparison.

Star Wars trounced The Spy Who Loved Me the BO, too. It doesn't mean TSWLM flopped. Not at all.

edited December 2021 Posts: 4,343
    Also, 770 million is a pretty good result for a Bond film. Ever since SF's fluke success, some people seem to think that Bond is in that billion + zone. It isn't. We should stop setting our expectations that high. The series still has legs; it has loyal fans and it always brings in good money. But it isn't Star Wars or Marvel. The golden years were left behind over four decades ago.

NTTD would’ve hit at least $925M if the pandemic never occurred. In the US it was projected to fall in between SP and SF (so $250M according to Forbes January estimates) and in China alone it would’ve grossed something like $40M more.

NTTD would’ve hit at least $925M if the pandemic never occurred. In the US it was projected to fall in between SP and SF (so $250M according to Forbes January estimates) and in China alone it would’ve grossed something like $40M more.

Maybe. We'll never know. But I'm perfectly satisfied with the BO results as they are. ;-)
    We‘ll never know how more it would’ve grossed but the fact that it would’ve topped SP is pretty much a given.
  • manovermanover uk
    Overall NTTD did very well in boxoffice and critical reaction...what else do people want..
    Marvel is marvel...spiderman has done well as expected..but also bonds boxoffice has also done very well...as expected..
    Marvel movies are always the top boxoffice takers...but remember that bond has beaten 3 other Marvel movies this year in terms of boxoffice...and is going to be the 2nd biggest movie this year...
  • MinionMinion Don't Hassle the Bond
    bUt gUise, a Spootermeng marble moopie make most monies Dan it dat make it a COMPLETE flop!!,
    Weird how some people think that because a film isn't a smash hit, that means it must be a flop.

B25 isn't a mega hit by any means, it about made its money back, and probably does well on VOD.

Just not the homerun that the narratives try to convince you of.
    NTTD is a mega hit only in the UK - where it pulled off one of the most sensational performances of the last 10 years at least - and a couple of other countries in the EU.
    Globally, given the circumstances, it performed better than SP, that benefited a lot from being a direct sequel to SF while NTTD had to face a 18 months delay… just saying…

So any attempt to downsize what the film was able to do is just inappropriate.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    Weird how some people think that because a film isn't a smash hit, that means it must be a flop.

B25 isn't a mega hit by any means, it about made its money back, and probably does well on VOD.

LTK has been suffering with that since 1989.
  • edited December 2021 Posts: 725
    English language internet is too American-centric. By all accounts, B -75 did bigly at the earthly box office. But because its performance was mediocre in the US, it’s not getting the credit it deserves in the trades. I’ve seen many headlines claiming No Way Home is the first real post-pandemic blockbuster. It’s like NTTD never existed.

Yes, and B25 is in the same boat. Not a mega hit and not a mega flop. We don't need to try and push it into either category with "well, given the circumstances..." it can just exist in the middle.

Yes, and B25 is in the same boat. Not a mega hit and not a mega flop. We don't need to try and push it into either category with "well, given the circumstances..."

Yeah let’s just pretend NTTD’s run wasn’t damaged by a global pandemic and a 22 months gap between the first full trailer and the actual release.

It’s quite hard to not feed the trolls tho.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    Yes @matt_u … he’s trying to get a rise. Best to ignore.

People like that are seemingly frustrated and they want others to feel the same.
  • peter wrote: »
    Yes @matt_u … he’s trying to get a rise. Best to ignore.

People like that are seemingly frustrated and they want others to feel the same.

Haters need to hate...wish they'd just go watch their Brozza bollocks and leave the Craig film alone.