Marvel Cinematic Universe (2008 - present)

Comments

• talos7talos7 New Orleans
    edited December 2021 Posts: 7,980

Poor man’s screen cap
    xktcNdZ.jpg
  • AstonLotus wrote: »
    Marvel have put stuff in their trailers just to throw people off.See the Infinity War trailer shot which shows a fully hulked out Banner charging into the final battle ( rather than the Hulkbuster suit which he uses in the film )

If Marvel snuck
    three Spider-men
    into a shot in the trailer when they don't intend to feature such in the film, that could possibly be the greatest troll of all time.
    Just back from No Way Home. Can't believe I'm the first here to post a review.

Sadly the movie is a mess. It's tonally all over the place. Everyone is comic relief. Major plot points are dropped without a second thought. The stakes are relatively minor. The action scenes are executed poorly, it's probably the weakest of all the Spidey movies in terms of action.
    And for the most part it never really seems like all the actors are in the same room interacting with one another. I know it was shot during Covid, but the staging of many key scenes is just... off. It's a weird movie.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    TR007 wrote: »

Sadly the movie is a mess. It's tonally all over the place. Everyone is comic relief. Major plot points are dropped without a second thought. The stakes are relatively minor. The action scenes are executed poorly, it's probably the weakest of all the Spidey movies in terms of action.
    And for the most part it never really seems like all the actors are in the same room interacting with one another. I know it was shot during Covid, but the staging of many key scenes is just... off. It's a weird movie.

I will likely wait for VOD, I am more interested in watching Matrix Resurrections.

The trailers for No Way Home did not impress me, looked a bit of a mess.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    Hawkeye episode 5 Good episode, easily the best acting from the Marvel shows so far thanks to
    Florence Pugh's
    appearance. There is a very good scene early into the episode.

Thanks for the spoiler free review.Yeah I was worried that the usual sit com humour that has become prevalent with most MCU films was going to be a problem when in the second trailer they were making fun of Doc Ock.

I will still see it but am in no hurry.

• mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited December 2021 Posts: 14,960
    I'm a couple of episodes behind on Hawkeye but I'm not sure they're pitching Renner's character right- he's slightly bored and detached/above the whole thing, which is totally intended so not a weakness in his performance, but kind of makes everything feel not hugely important if your main character doesn't really care.
  • TR007 wrote: »

I disagree completely with you. The stakes ate minor? Really? The consequences of Peter's identity being revealed brought serious abd major problems that resulted in a highly emotional fatality. Personally I thought it was a fantastic movie. It's not perfect but it's definitely a more enjoyable and better crafted movie than NTTD. The action was fantastic from the set pieces to the brutal one on one fights with Norman. I'm seeing it again several more times before over the next few days. Haven't been in a cinema this packed ever and the audience reactions were like that of End Game. I haven't really been too impressed with the Tom Holland Soidey films but this one, for me, is probably the best live action spidey film made to date. Willem Dafoe was awesome.
  • mtm wrote: »
    I'm a couple of episodes behind on Hawkeye but I'm not sure they're pitching Renner's character right- he's slightly bored and detached/above the whole thing, which is totally intended so not a weakness in his performance, but kind of makes everything feel not hugely important if your main character doesn't really care.

I had no interest on watching this but I heard 2 characters show up which I might now want to check out.
  • I’ve seen No Way Home Twice now. I loved the movie but...
    Peter is a complete idiot. He basically turns into the villain in the second act because he doesn’t want the villains to die, which seems so far removed from the Spider-Man I like. I know he want to always help people, but not at the cost of the universe

This is the first of Tom Holland’s movies that actually felt like he was Spider-Man, and I’m really excited to see what’s next for the character.
    Jimjambond wrote: »

I disagree completely with you. The stakes ate minor? Really? The consequences of Peter's identity being revealed brought serious abd major problems that resulted in a highly emotional fatality. Personally I thought it was a fantastic movie. It's not perfect but it's definitely a more enjoyable and better crafted movie than NTTD. The action was fantastic from the set pieces to the brutal one on one fights with Norman. I'm seeing it again several more times before over the next few days. Haven't been in a cinema this packed ever and the audience reactions were like that of End Game. I haven't really been too impressed with the Tom Holland Soidey films but this one, for me, is probably the best live action spidey film made to date. Willem Dafoe was awesome.

I'm glad you enjoyed it.
  • TR007 wrote: »

I'm glad you enjoyed it.

It's unfortunate that you didn't and I'm sure many will feel the same way you do. @2Wint2Kidd makes a valid point with his spoiler tagged comment and I suspect Peter's actions may rub people the wrong way. Still, an enjoyable movie and I agree this film had Holland feeling more like traditional/classic Peter/Spidey.
    When I say the stakes were low, I just mean that the villains really weren't a threat apart from Norman. Electro, Lizard, Sandman and Ock all seem quite content to be in this new universe and get along pretty well with Holland. Electro has a line about wanting to stick around because he's more powerful, but he isn't wrecking havoc or trying to take over the world. It's bizarre in that sense. Even with Norman, he kills May and then doesn't have a plan or purpose in this universe other than to fight Spidey at the end. I thought it was a mess in that sense, but I'm glad it works for others.
  • MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”
    For those that hate the “Iron Man Jr” aspect of Holland, you’ll be very pleased.
  • The last spidey costume we see Peter in is
    giphy.gif
  • NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    So shiny!
    It ought it be. College years gonna be wild
  • Last_Rat_StandingLast_Rat_Standing Long Neck Ice Cold Beer Never Broke My Heart
    Saw it today with my kids. Easily the best since the second Tobey one.

I literally was smiling for 20 minutes after
    Tobey and Andrew's Spidermans came through the portals
  • matt_umatt_u better known as Mr. Roark
    $587M opening weekend globally. Third best opening weekend ever in the US only behind the last two Avengers. Marvel plays a league on its own.
    matt_u wrote: »
    $587M opening weekend globally. Third best opening weekend ever in the US only behind the last two Avengers. Marvel plays a league on its own.

100%. Say what you will about those films, they’re doing a hell of a job with them.
  • matt_u wrote: »

That's damn remarkable. Any guesses on how long it'll take to hit a $Billion?
  • Last_Rat_StandingLast_Rat_Standing Long Neck Ice Cold Beer Never Broke My Heart

That's damn remarkable. Any guesses on how long it'll take to hit a $Billion?

It'll be at a billion by years end if not by the end of next weekend.
  • matt_umatt_u better known as Mr. Roark
    It’s massive but not that unexpected given the characters involved and the crazy hype surrounding the trailers. People were starving for a big Marvel event kind of film and they showed up. In the US alone it will likely cross $700M.
  • I do wonder when the next ‘big’ Marvel event film will be. From the upcoming films it doesn’t seem like there’s any, but that’s not to be confused with any of them not being successful, because I’m sure they will be. I would probably say the next Spider-Man or Avengers movie will probably be that, but that seems like a few years away anyway.
    I think DOCTOR STRANGE 2 has a shot. The multi-verse is currently the running story with Phase 4. Fans are gonna be paying extra attention to it, especially if it means the introduction of mutants or the Fantastic 4.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    I think DOCTOR STRANGE 2 has a shot. The multi-verse is currently the running story with Phase 4. Fans are gonna be paying extra attention to it, especially if it means the introduction of mutants or the Fantastic 4.

The new FF is to be set in the 60s, but who knows? Everything is possible in these films.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    I saw No Way Home last night and thought it was a bizarre but wonderful experience. The film has its flaws but it left me with a massive smile on my face throughout. It's a real crowd pleaser.
    edited December 2021 Posts: 7,526
    Plot question for those who have seen it (NWH):
    I don't fully understand Parker's plan in this film; the villains come into Holland's universe, it's discovered that they came through moments before their deaths and so Parker doesn't want to send them right back, he first wants to "cure" them which evidently means take their powers away, and then send them back... but won't they just then die in their own universes but without their powers? I guess I missed how "curing" them was going to help them if they were just going to be sent back anyways.

Also, it was sort of interesting how there could have been these theme of the "good guys" deciding who gets powers and who doesn't get powers... especially when there was a rift between the supposed good guys (Parker and Strange)... could have been an interesting theme to look into.

DM me if you don't want to start a big spoiler chain!

EDIT: Also maybe I'm the only one, but every time I see NWH I can't help but think "Neil Watrick Harris"...
    It’s massive but not that unexpected given the characters involved and the crazy hype surrounding the trailers. People were starving for a big Marvel event kind of film and they showed up. In the US alone it will likely cross $700M.

There were three other Marvel films released this year that got nowhere close to what Spidey made in ONE weekend.If anything it shows how phase 4 of the MCU has been a big disappointment.The irony is that Sony,not Disney will be reaping most of the benefits of NWH’s success.

• Plot question for those who have seen it (NWH):
    I don't fully understand Parker's plan in this film; the villains come into Holland's universe, it's discovered that they came through moments before their deaths and so Parker doesn't want to send them right back, he first wants to "cure" them which evidently means take their powers away, and then send them back... but won't they just then die in their own universes but without their powers? I guess I missed how "curing" them was going to help them if they were just going to be sent back anyways.

Also, it was sort of interesting how there could have been these theme of the "good guys" deciding who gets powers and who doesn't get powers... especially when there was a rift between the supposed good guys (Parker and Strange)... could have been an interesting theme to look into.

EDIT: Also maybe I'm the only one, but every time I see NWH I can't help but think "Neil Watrick Harris"...
    Plot question for those who have seen it (NWH):

I think the idea is that by not having any powers it changes their fate. The only one who’s fate probably won’t change is Doc Ock as he turns good again to stop his machine destroying the whole city, so I can’t see much changing in his universe. But Norman Osborn will still survive as he’s been cured as won’t have to live as the Green Goblin for the rest of his life. That is my understanding of it. But if you ask me that isn’t worth risking the whole universe for, which is what Peter does.