Marvel Cinematic Universe (2008 - present)

Comments

When was LALD censored?

@MakeshiftPython, I believe he was just making a future prediction, given the trajectory of the world. At least I hope. Of course, they've already censored the novel, so the movie getting the same treatment probably isn't far off the horizon. There's people who'd hate LALD just for daring to have black people as villains.

I’m surprised it hasn’t happened already to be honest.The likes of WB and HBO Max took down films like Gone And The Wind and Blazing Saddles temporarily from their services during all the BLM craziness last year.

• MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”
    edited December 2021 Posts: 8,025
    Unless I missed the parts where it features all the villains speaking in exaggerated southern accents while eating chicken and watermelons, as well as not featuring allies like Strutter and Quarrel Jr, I don’t see a lot reasons for LALD to be banned like how Disney bans SONG OF THE SOUTH.

Besides, it features the ridiculing of white American Southern law enforcement, which isn’t surprising considering it’s written by a Mankiewicz, a family known to be very left leaning.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Unless I missed the parts where it features all the villains speaking in exaggerated southern accents while eating chicken and watermelons, as well as not featuring allies like Strutter and Quarrel Jr, I don’t see a lot reasons for LALD to be banned like how Disney bans SONG OF THE SOUTH.

Besides, it features the ridiculing of white American Southern law enforcement, which isn’t surprising considering it’s written by a Mankiewicz, a family known to be very left leaning.

@MakeshiftPython, the problem these days is that you don't actually have to be controversial to be controversial. I've been around people that genuinely talked like cartoons, their opinions were so far out there and blinded by illogical thought processes.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    As if a legitimate reason would be needed to ban LALD. How quaint. Just enough people need to wake up one day, decide to become offended about something, and zero in on LALD.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    @MajorDSmythe, exactly. People love judging things of the past by looking through a modern lens in an act of self-righteousness, ignoring any and all context which that piece of art was made around.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited December 2021 Posts: 14,947

I would say that there is a bit of a 'them and us' flavour to LALD: it does paint a picture of a world where all black people are somehow in on this evil scheme. The grannies and children at a funeral, all of the customers in an entire nationwide chain of bars, the cab drivers in NYC - all of them in on this big evil scheme run by a guy from a tiny island who believes in voodoo. There is an underlying message, unintentional I'm sure, that black people aren't to be trusted. I can't think of another Bond film where the baddies are 'among us' to this extent.
    Yes, Strutter is a good guy, but he disappears after one scene.

It's not enough to ban it, of course not: it hasn't been banned, so let's not pretend that it has been. But I would say there is a racist element to it which wouldn't fly in a new film today.

Bear in mind I think Black Panther has a slightly patronising feel too: I like to imagine a movie made in Africa for an African audience about a small rural mid-western State in the middle of nowhere in America which has a big invisible shield surrounding it: and behind this shield it's actually not full of backward redneck hicks going to watch monster truck shows and shooting tin cans, but is actually a gleaming futuristic metropolis. A sort of fantasy land where white people aren't, despite appearances, stupid :D
    Wouldn’t you think that Africans are laughing at us if they made that movie? :)
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    @MajorDSmythe, exactly. People love judging things of the past by looking through a modern lens in an act of self-righteousness, ignoring any and all context which that piece of art was made around.

Well the context is: the world was a bit more racist then. If you don't look back at the past and point out where things went wrong then you're doomed to never learn from anything.
    So far LALD hasn’t even been banned, and yet some are already acting as if it was.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Indeed, I get tired of people reacting against incidents in the 'culture war' which haven't even happened. It hasn't been banned, it won't be, but it is a little dodgy. That's all.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    Wait, LALD hasn’t been banned? Damn, I was enjoying owning a book that had been banned.
  • mattjoesmattjoes Kicking: Impossible
    If a user named @LALD ever joins this forum, this conversation is going to read a little awkward.
    mtm wrote: »
    Indeed, I get tired of people reacting against incidents in the 'culture war' which haven't even happened. It hasn't been banned, it won't be, but it is a little dodgy. That's all.

but-not-yet-djimon-hounsou.gif

• mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Yes, that's exactly the sort of thing I'm talking about. Hasn't happened but he's still acting like it has. Weird.
    Aston is just a salty troll that contributes nothing worthwhile. Ignore him.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Indeed.

Anyway, I just caught up on the first episode of Hawkeye. I thought it started quite well but fell apart into a quite badly-made fight scene (with really dreadful sound effects: it was noticeably bad). I'll keep going but it didn't exactly grab me.
    I still haven’t watched any of it.
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    Wait, LALD hasn’t been banned? Damn, I was enjoying owning a book that had been banned.

Well the original LALD novel was banned in Ireland in 1954 so that's a start. ;)
    Dragonpol wrote: »

Well the original LALD novel was banned in Ireland in 1954 so that's a start. ;)

CANCEL CULTURE RUN AMOK!!!

;)
    Dragonpol wrote: »

CANCEL CULTURE RUN AMOK!!!

;)

Indeed!

I wrote an article back in 2007 on the banning of the Bond novels that has a portion on the banning of LALD in Ireland. Banning of famous novels is nothing new in the Republic of Ireland and the Censorship of Publications Board was very active at that time.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Was that just because it was a bit violent and sexy?
    edited December 2021 Posts: 17,801
    Was that just because it was a bit violent and sexy?

I think it must have been for those general reasons, yes, although the Board's reasoning wasn't mentioned in the sources I've seen. I think the reasons for banning a book were contained in the legislation that set up the Board. I've since discovered from an academic article that used notes from the Board that it also banned CR and MR as well. You can read more about it in my article here:

https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com/2012/08/james-bond-novels-that-were-edited.html?m=1
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    Looks like the Kate Bishop show ( guest starring Hawkeye ) is flopping for Disney+.Viewership is down 40% from the likes of Loki and Falcon and Winter Soldier.

The trailers made it look like a Hawkeye show,dealing with his violent past,maybe his origin.However,from the very first scene in the first episode,it’s all about Kate Bishop ( Even the opening credits shows her origin.I guess a Hawkeye show about Hawkeye was too much to ask for.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Kate Bishop is Hawkeye.
    Kate Bishop is Hawkeye.

Nope.Being a Hawkeye fan and her being able to beat up hardened killers with no training or years of combat experience does not make her Hawkeye despite the shows woke agenda.

It would be like calling a regular woman Thor just because the writers have her get Thor’s Hammer.Thor is Thor because that’s his name given to him by his parents.I don’t see Marvel doing something THAT stupid though.

Oh wait...

• NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    I swear to God if I have to read the words "woke agenda" one more time, I'm going to move to an off the grid cabin in the woods and cut of all ties to society.
    I swear to God if I have to read the words "woke agenda" one more time, I'm going to move to an off the grid cabin in the woods and cut of all ties to society.

At least we can take solace in the fact that the agenda has won with the box office of NTTD. ;)
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    AstonLotus wrote: »
    Kate Bishop is Hawkeye.

Nope.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hawkeye_(Kate_Bishop)

Hawkeye_Vol_5_1.jpg

Deal with it. It's like complaining that Tim Drake isn't Robin etc.
    We’d be better off without the likes of dickless YouTubers like Midnight’s Edge, Doomcock, and Nerdrotic.

I feel sorry for the poor souls that actually buys their fake reporting, which had already been proven to be made up BS on 4chan.