Marvel Cinematic Universe (2008 - present)

Comments

• 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    @MakeshiftPython, I am more inclined to believe the links. The pictures are very consistent across the footage we've seen, and it would be hard to fake something that well, even these days. What I don't understand is why Sony aren't just leaning into that, and teasing the return of Tobey and Andrew. I think it would get more butts in seats right off the bat, as opposed to hiding it. Because it's going to come out regardless, as the movie doesn't hit every region the same day. Word of mouth with this movie will be insane, from the first screening of it.

I don't think Tobey and Andrew won't be in it, I just think it will be a matter of how long they're in it. If they aren't in it at all, then my brain will be broken in half and I'll question everything I've ever known, as it feels so certain and inevitable that they are. I just want it to come out so that poor Andrew Garfield can stop getting asked questions about it. I feel so bad for him, trying to promote his other work in peace but all they want is the same answer he has had to give everyone.
    Stuff like “they don’t mention uncle Ben!!” is more of a gripe than a criticism.

No, it's definitely a criticism. Uncle Ben and the lessons he taught Peter are the entire cornerstone of his character, the thing that motivates him to do what he does. You can't have Spider-Man without "with great power comes great responsibility." As I said, I didn't need to see Uncle Ben get shot for the thousandth time-but still wouldn't have minded it-but at the very least he could be mentioned in full detail. All we get is Peter or May stepping around saying his name, and Watts thinks putting his initials on a suitcase that Peter loses but doesn't seem to care about losing (even though he should value the last item he had of Ben) is enough. But it isn't.

Part of why people have such a disconnect with this version of Peter is because we don't have enough of an idea of where he comes from and what makes him tick. His intro in Civil War was strong, as we saw that he was down on his luck but just trying to do his best. He paraphrases the great power/great responsibility line, but the film leaves it up for Ben to be mentioned in full later. But Watts and the writers never invoke Uncle Ben, like they're actively trying to avoid it. By the time Homecoming rolls around Tony has effectively become the Uncle Ben to this Peter, which I just find ridiculous. Tony came a long way, but he was massively imperfect even near the end and he wasn't the right mentor figure for Peter.

Regardless of all that, though, it wouldn't have killed them to have Peter say, "My uncle Ben once told me..." or "When I was in trouble, my uncle Ben always said..." I don't need a twenty minute flashback sequence, I'd just like to hear Peter talk about the man that raised him to be the good kid he is. I'd have removed any sequence Peter had with Iron Man in any part of Homecoming for just one scene with the balls to mention Ben, since it seems to demand courage to invoke him anymore.

It's just part of the disconnect I have, and why the Raimi movies feel so special in that regard. Even when Ben is dead, he plays a vital role in each movie, being the source Peter has to keep going. He is the constant in Peter's life, the guy whose teachings he can always turn to. But in the MCU, he's just another guy.

I agree Tony Stark wasn’t the right mentor/father figure for Peter.Ben would never have given a teenage boy access to a suit equipped with instant kill webs and satellite laser weapon capable of mass destruction!
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    @AstonLotus, that's part of where the MCU Spider-Man shows its biggest wrinkles. I got over Tony doing everything for Peter in Homecoming with the super suit, but EDITH in FFH killed me. So ridiculous, especially the acronym, as even Tony isn't egotistical enough to proclaim, "Even dead, I'm the hero."
  • ImpertinentGoonImpertinentGoon Everybody needs a hobby.
    AstonLotus wrote: »
    Dr Strange 2 is undergoing “ significant “ reshoots according to various sources.I wonder what made Disney/Kevin Feige make that decision? Sam Raimi did hint before it would have more of a horror vibe than previous MCU movies.Did they have second thoughts and force him to go more family friendly?

Don't know if this has been brought up, but from what I heard, the original plan was for Dr. Strange 2 to be released before No Way Home. Due to the pandemic and whatnot, Marvel had to postpone the film, but Sony didn't play ball and more or less stuck with their release of NWH with a few alterations, which seems to have had a major impact on the other film, so they have to re-do a lot for that to make the storylines work.

You can of course extrapolate from that what you will for NWH, given that the good Doctor is apparently responsible for the inciting incident of that films plot, but was originally supposed to be in a totally different spot in his own story.
    @ImpertinentGoon, so DS2 was actually originally intended to be a set-up for NWH, then? If so, that's crazy. I feel bad for all involved, having to course correct around that creative change.
  • MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”
    That actually sounds accurate about Sony. Disney wanted Sony to push FAR FROM HOME back because it was coming out so soon after ENDGAME and Sony basically extended the middle finger. I think that’s part of why they temporarily stopped working together between films. It’s always been a contentious relationship because Sony holds more creative control over their films and Disney has to work around that.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    First episode of Hawkeye Kate Bishop eye rolling from the start, not sure I will bother with the other episodes.
  • First episode of Hawkeye Kate Bishop eye rolling from the start, not sure I will bother with the other episodes.
    It excels whenever Kate Bishop is on screen, not so much with Hawkeye. Hailee Steinfeld is fantastic! I found it entertaining, but it probably would have been better as a Disney + exclusive movie rather than a 6 Hour show. Thus far I like it a lot more than Falcon and the Winter Soldier and Loki.

• First episode of Hawkeye Kate Bishop eye rolling from the start, not sure I will bother with the other episodes.

I saw the first trailer and wasn't all that impressed. To be honest, outside of No way home and Dr Strange 2, I couldn't care less about the MCU anymore. This is is a big deal for me to admit as I'm a huge comic need and have been a champion for the MCU from the start. Outside the aforementioned MCU movies, the only other comic book movies I'm interested in are Morbius and The Batman.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    Been generally disappointed with the Marvel Disney shows so far, Loki and FATWS had potential though fell flat in the end for me, so going into Hawkeye with low expectations.

I see the second episode is available to watch already I will watch it before work. The actress playing Kate Bishop looks familiar, Bumble Bee? I gave up on that film after 20 minutes.

The first episode of Hawkeye seems a bit on the nose it was obvious immediately how things were going to play out with certain secondary characters.
    Been generally disappointed with the Marvel Disney shows so far, Loki and FATWS had potential though fell flat in the end for me, so going into Hawkeye with low expectations.

I see the second episode is available to watch already I will watch it before work. The actress playing Kate Bishop looks familiar, Bumble Bee? I gave up on that film after 20 minutes..

You haven’t even seen TRUE GRIT? She’s great in that! Check it out.

I see the second episode is available to watch already I will watch it before work. The actress playing Kate Bishop looks familiar, Bumble Bee? I gave up on that film after 20 minutes..

You haven’t even seen TRUE GRIT? She’s great in that! Check it out.

I have seen the John Wayne film, not the Jeff Bridges film.
  • NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    edited November 2021 Posts: 7,526
    The Jeff Bridges one is really great.

Obadiah Stane and Kate Bishop vs. Thanos
    First episode of Hawkeye Kate Bishop eye rolling from the start, not sure I will bother with the other episodes.

Yeah the trailer made it look like Hawkeye is getting sidelined in what is supposed to be his own show.Iv heard some you tubers refer to this as the “ Bait and switch “.The Witcher was advertised as being about The Witcher,but its apparently about this lady called Yennifer who gets most of the screen time.Loki is advertised about Loki but its really about female Loki.

I have a feeling Dr. strange 2 will be really about Scarlet Witch.

Yeah the trailer made it look like Hawkeye is getting sidelined in what is supposed to be his own show.Iv heard some you tubers refer to this as the “ Bait and switch “.The Witcher was advertised as being about The Witcher,but its apparently about this lady called Yennifer who gets most of the screen time.Loki is advertised about Loki but its really about female Loki.

I have a feeling Dr. strange 2 will be really about Scarlet Witch.

You must have hated MAD MAX: FURY ROAD.
    edited November 2021 Posts: 23,395
    Hawkeye Kate Bishop Episode 2 is a bit all over the place tonally which makes it difficult to take anything seriously, a large part of the episode was wasted on a really bad scene, with only 4 episodes left I tend to agree this should have just been a TV movie.

Kate Bishop is certainly the main character, the actress is likable.
    edited November 2021 Posts: 28,694

I personally prefer the newer version. Much closer to the book, which is a wonderful, breezy read.

I see the second episode is available to watch already I will watch it before work. The actress playing Kate Bishop looks familiar, Bumble Bee? I gave up on that film after 20 minutes.

The first episode of Hawkeye seems a bit on the nose it was obvious immediately how things were going to play out with certain secondary characters.

Haven't had much interest in anything on the MCU show front. The internet tells me what happens in every episode of them, so I guess I don't need to watch. ;-)

I was kind of hoping that Hawkeye would actually get time to shine in his own show, but I guess that isn't how it's going? The source material that inspired the show is a bit hit and miss for me, too. That Hawkeye is very different from the MCU one, so I'm interested to see how that translates if the writing apes the comics at all.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    So what are the chances of there being a wink towards the SpiderMan confusion meme in No Way Home?

C-658VsXoAo3ovC.jpg
    mtm wrote: »
    So what are the chances of there being a wink towards the SpiderMan confusion meme in No Way Home?

C-658VsXoAo3ovC.jpg

Considering it has to be referenced in everything Spider-Man related these days, probably pretty high. ;-)

I personally prefer the newer version. Much closer to the book, which is a wonderful, breezy read.

Haven't had much interest in anything on the MCU show front. The internet tells me what happens in every episode of them, so I guess I don't need to watch. ;-)

I was kind of hoping that Hawkeye would actually get time to shine in his own show, but I guess that isn't how it's going? The source material that inspired the show is a bit hit and miss for me, too. That Hawkeye is very different from the MCU one, so I'm interested to see how that translates if the writing apes the comics at all.

As soon as I finished watching Hawkeye I went on YouTube and there was a barrage of channels reviewing it and literally walking through the episode, its certainly a money saver going online in some instances for plot details etc.

After thinking about the second episode after watching it the highlight is definitely the two leads, there chemistry has won me over so I will keep watching. With four episodes to go there maybe more Hawkeye centered episodes.

Also the show being set at Christmas may draw viewers in.
  • NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    edited November 2021 Posts: 7,526
    mtm wrote: »

C-658VsXoAo3ovC.jpg

Considering it has to be referenced in everything Spider-Man related these days, probably pretty high. ;-)

The recent Lego Daily Bugle set included this meme:
    maxresdefault.jpg
    Which gives me confidence they'll keep using memes in official products / films. ;)
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    The confused meme? How do you mean?
    One thing that came to mind this morning about The Eternals (under spoilers, of course) :
    Remember, during the last post credits scene, Dane Whitman opens a big wooden box, an inside, he finds a big black sword. Then, we hear a voice warning him about that sword. According to many sources on the net, that voice is Mahershala Ali's, who will play Blade, the vampire hunter, in future MCU movies. So, we have an ebony Blade giving a warning about another Ebony Blade. Guess it's true what they say : it takes one to know one.
    Nice only just noticed that Disney+ have a number of Marvel films in IMAX enhanced aspect ratio including Infinity war and Endgame, looks like I will be re watching them over the weekend.
    I hope Amazon does something similar with SF and NTTD.
    I hope Amazon does something similar with SF and NTTD.

Amazon need to up there game I have been dissapointed with a number of Digital purchases from them in the UK.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    I hope Elizabeth Debicki returns as Ayesha in Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3 :)
    Nice only just noticed that Disney+ have a number of Marvel films in IMAX enhanced aspect ratio including Infinity war and Endgame, looks like I will be re watching them over the weekend.

Pretty dick move on Disney’s part to not make that available on physical editions of the film.As is their refusal to make shows such as The Mandalorian available to buy on disc.Every Star Wars fan would want that but no,they have to push Disney+ at all costs.That’s beginning to backfire on them though considering Disney stock dropped after Disney+ day recently.

If the Mandalorian ever makes it on physical media, it’ll probably be when the show is finished so they can sell a hefty box set of the complete series.

Pretty dick move on Disney’s part to not make that available on physical editions of the film.As is their refusal to make shows such as The Mandalorian available to buy on disc.Every Star Wars fan would want that but no,they have to push Disney+ at all costs.That’s beginning to backfire on them though considering Disney stock dropped after Disney+ day recently.

I stopped buying MCU movies on physical media after Civil War I have got lazy and bought digital since then well I bought Infinity War and Endgame on 4K digital, a lot of the more recent films have been poor.