NO TIME TO DIE (2021) - Critical Reaction and Box Office Performance

Comments

• VenutiusVenutius Yorkshire
    It's hard for me to understand really why people care about this stuff so much. I understand that the financial success of the Bond films mean more Bond films, but...
    Agreed. As long as NTTD makes enough profit to give the green light to the next Bond film, I'm genuinely not remotely fussed if it beats the BO of whatever else is out there - or doesn't. Stats, schmats, man.
  • Venutius wrote: »
    Agreed. As long as NTTD makes enough profit to give the green light to the next Bond film, I'm genuinely not remotely fussed if it beats the BO of whatever else is out there - or doesn't. Stats, schmats, man.

Pretty much my take. I looked on at weekly receipts and once it got past 700m and the execs said they're happy with it, that puts Bond26 on the table with no budget issues.

jobo wrote: »
    Jan1985 wrote: »
    The thing is: movies like Dune or Eternals really will lose lots of money at the box office, more so than Bond. But we don't see The Times, Deadline and Co. putting out articles about that. Why is that?
    In fact Bond's worldwide box office is way more healthy than that of most of the other big budget movies released thus year.
    But people will remember headlines like "Bond loses money!". Almost no one walks out of "Dune" and thinks "This is a financial disaster", when in reality it is.

Dune has already broken even, and my rewatch last night in IMAX was a packed cinema. Every last seat sold out.

Do you go to the cinema every day? ;)

No, mostly just Tuesdays which are the cheap day here. I saw three films yesterday.
  • brinkeguthriebrinkeguthrie Piz Gloria
    Venutius wrote: »
    It's hard for me to understand really why people care about this stuff so much. I understand that the financial success of the Bond films mean more Bond films, but...

totally agree.
    The thing is: movies like Dune or Eternals really will lose lots of money at the box office, more so than Bond. But we don't see The Times, Deadline and Co. putting out articles about that. Why is that?
    In fact Bond's worldwide box office is way more healthy than that of most of the other big budget movies released thus year.
    But people will remember headlines like "Bond loses money!". Almost no one walks out of "Dune" and thinks "This is a financial disaster", when in reality it is.

Dune has already broken even, and my rewatch last night in IMAX was a packed cinema. Every last seat sold out.

How has Dune broken even?
    Budget: $165 Mio
    Marketing costs: $135 Mio
    Total costs: $300 Mio
    (https://screenrant.com/dune-2021-box-office-hbo-max-streaming-success-sequel/)

Worldwide Box Office: only $366 Mio

The rule is, that a movie has to do at least three times its production budget at the worldwide box office to break even. That would be $500 million. And even then I don't think, they are good, because of the high marketing costs.

Dune is far from breaking even.

How has Dune broken even?
    Budget: $165 Mio
    Marketing costs: $135 Mio
    Total costs: $300 Mio
    (https://screenrant.com/dune-2021-box-office-hbo-max-streaming-success-sequel/)

Worldwide Box Office: only $366 Mio

The rule is, that a movie has to do at least three times its production budget at the worldwide box office to break even. That would be $500 million. And even then I don't think, they are good, because of the high marketing costs.

Dune is far from breaking even.

You're not seriously going to use Screenrant as some kind of Holy Grail of accuracy and facts, are you? :))

I have never heard anyone say the break even for a film is three times its production budget. Twice the production budget? Absolutely. Three times? Where did you get that?
  • MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”
    Point is that if NTTD is a flop then every film this year is a flop.

Unless it’s from China I guess.
    I have never heard anyone say the break even for a film is three times its production budget. Twice the production budget? Absolutely. Three times? Where did you get that?

How can it be only twice the production budget, when in most countries the studio gets less than 50% of the box office?
    And the marketing costs are costs, too.
  • I won't attempt to go into specs with Dune but if the sequel isn't greenlit that will be a big clue. Poor Luke Sandwalker.
    Perhaps Dune didn’t cost anything like $165 million to make.

And perhaps it didn’t cost anywhere near $135 million to market.

Numbers on the Internet are just numbers on the Internet. They are made up, as part of the hype to get people to see a movie.

The Sony email hacks revealed just how made up all this “three times the production budget” nonsense is. There were films mentioned there that should have been flops under the “three times” rule because of the big budgets quoted on the Internet but Sony execs were congratulating themselves on the films’ profitability.

It is all Hollywood hype. Nothing can be believed.

I am particularly cynical about alleged “marketing costs.” Thirty years ago, when a film company had to purchase every single TV advert slot to show a trailer, and other advertising was in the grip of a few newspaper companies, I might have agreed that costs would have run into millions.

But these days a trailer goes up on YouTube and it gets millions of views in the first day. Essentially free. And people talk about it on forums. That’s free too. And the tv spots and print adverts are cheap these days too, because the tv and newspaper companies have all had to lower their advertising rates, because the internet is competing with them. Marketing movies probably costs a tenth of what it used to do.
  • matt_umatt_u better known as Mr. Roark
    Regarding Variety and their nonsense I just want to point out that in 2015 they did an article about SP titled: Spectre box office needs to reach $650M to break even.

Didn’t know NTTD costed $250M more to make, lol…
  • ProfJoeButcherProfJoeButcher Bless your heart
    matt_u wrote: »
    Regarding Variety and their nonsense I just want to point out that in 2015 they did an article about SP titled: Spectre box office needs to reach $650M to break even.

Didn’t know NTTD costed $250M more to make, lol…

This stuff is hilarious.

The thing with this $928 million break-even crap is that you don't actually have to know all that much about budget details or promotion deals to see through it. The fact is, they keep making these movies, and steadily increasing their budgets, and if the MI6 pseudo-analysis had any basis in reality, most of these movies would have lost money or barely broken even. And there is just no way that's true.

Either Barbara, Michael, and the many other people involved in financing these movies are completely inept, or the folks making up this clickbait are.
    I won't attempt to go into specs with Dune but if the sequel isn't greenlit that will be a big clue. Poor Luke Sandwalker.

They announced Part Two, like, a month ago 😂
    Most of big budget movies don't break even during their theatrical runs.
    But they break even and make a profit at a later time with home releases, TV rights etc.

So yes, with VOD and Blu-Ray etc, NTTD will make a profit.
    But maybe not during its theatrical run alone.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    edited November 2021 Posts: 23,449
    Lots of stressed people here. I'm just happy NTTD is in good financial health.🙂

"BUT THE ARTICLE IS AMATEURISH-"😡😡

- I'm just happy NTTD is in good financial health.🙂
    Most of big budget movies don't break even during their theatrical runs.
    But they break even and make a profit at a later time with home releases, TV rights etc.

So yes, with VOD and Blu-Ray etc, NTTD will make a profit.
    But maybe not during its theatrical run alone.

Box-office is not always the most profitable part of a film, that's for sure. There are sponsorship, DVD, VOD, merchandising, marketing tie ins, TV and a whole range of things that make a film profitable after its theatrical run.

It all depends on how the project is constructed. Just think about the insane amount of money deducted from product placement and partnerships for a film like NTTD. We're talking about something in the $100M range...
  • ProfJoeButcherProfJoeButcher Bless your heart
    DarthDimi wrote: »

No stress here! I'm glad the movie's doing well!

I'm just fascinated by how a single, anonymous, terribly-reasoned article can be picked up by so many "news" outlets and quoted as an authority all over the place. I don't think I've ever before been able to witness the entire chain of dissemination of nonsense.
    As of yesterday, NTTD's cume in Australia stands at $16.23M. I was expecting more to be honest. At this rate I don't think it's gonna even hit $30M.

I'm just fascinated by how a single, anonymous, terribly-reasoned article can be picked up by so many "news" outlets and quoted as an authority all over the place. I don't think I've ever before been able to witness the entire chain of dissemination of nonsense.

That's how media works these days. Luckily, in this case it only has to do with something relatively insignificant.
    jobo wrote: »

That's how media works these days. Luckily, in this case it only has to do with something relatively insignificant.

It's not insignificant, if the result is,
    that people have on their minds, that Bond flopped while Shang-Chi and Dune were hits, when in reality it is the opposite.

It has to do with image-PR.
    With the world wide gross of NTTD, people should have on their minds, that Bond is THE hit of the year. That's what the media should transport with their articles.
    With the world wide gross of NTTD, people should have on their minds, that Bond is THE hit of the year. That's what the media should transport with their articles.

Exactly.
    Media are more inclined to comment on the negative rather than the positive. A Bond film that does well? Boring. A Bond film that sucks and fails and depresses people... oh, and Fukunaga calling Bond a rapist, now THAT'S news! Media select, filter and isolate, and none of us is entirely immune to that. That's why many assume the world is in a worse state now than it's ever been, when it's quite the opposite. That is also why bombs are being reported within hours after a film's release. In the case of M:I3, if memory serves, even before the film was released. We all buy the negative so much more than the positive.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    When it comes to NTTD's box office performance, I couldn't be happier. As it has been said, in this climate any movie you release is going to take a hit. That's the COVID gamble studios have to play, unfortunately. The more you hold onto a movie, the more money you lose, so there comes a point where you just have to take the risks and let it out. EON played it very safe, and also stuck to their guns to give Bond the best chance at a good performance they could, and here we are days after it was proclaimed the most successful pandemic era movie, which is beyond phenomenal. Obviously its budget is much bigger than most movies that will release in this time frame, which will impact its ultimate profits, but the fact that the movie has had the impact it has had cannot be diminished.

I don't think there should be any fears from anyone about the franchise's future or any worry about more films being greenlit. NTTD proved that no amount of delays and worldwide chaos can stop Bond from cleaning up like he always has, specifically under this particular 007. Daniel Craig made people cry who only watch these movies casually, showing the reverb this character still has for people. If NTTD's success in the face of everything in its way doesn't prove Bond is alive and well, nothing will.
    edited November 2021 Posts: 4,343
    Obviously this brainless clickbait story about “the highest grossing film of the pandemic that won’t break even” is a good story. Silly, but catching.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Matt007 wrote: »
    Matt007 wrote: »
    Again though. Unless people here work for Eon or are friends with Barbara, why so worked up? An article on a fan site written by amateurs was taken as gospel

I think some people seem to they’re personal custodians of bonds legacy, rather than merely paying customers. Or take it personally that NTTD has some hearsay article written about it. Again. Who gives a shit. Not me. I’m just a fan. I’m more bothered that they killed James Bond

Do you think it's strange that people in the NTTD box office thread are discussing an article about the financial prospects of NTTD? One written by the website hosting this very forum?

Odd

Sorry I think my point went over your head.

Odd.

I think it’s odd that people who are unconnected or unaffected with the financial outcome of the film are asking for an apology from mi6.

An apology won t do. They need to take the knee!
  • Jan1985 wrote: »
    The thing is: movies like Dune or Eternals really will lose lots of money at the box office, more so than Bond. But we don't see The Times, Deadline and Co. putting out articles about that. Why is that? ... Almost no one walks out of "Dune" and thinks "This is a financial disaster", when in reality it is.
    In fact, as of now DUNE has made only about $20 million more (in the USA) than the notorious 2012 flop JOHN CARTER.

• ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    R.cbfe242caced9b208ac388cdc539ff73?rik=b9c3iFCfQEcTbg&riu=http%3a%2f%2fwww.gameteep.net%2fwp-content%2fuploads%2f2012%2f03%2fThe-Simpsons-Tapped-Out-Comic-Book-Guy.png&ehk=TJBzvw6ltdiyUpwssRLGTw6Df9b4rfx9yLl8b7avCH4%3d&risl=&pid=ImgRaw&r=0
    "Worst movie ever! I am only going to watch it thirteen more times."
    R.cbfe242caced9b208ac388cdc539ff73?rik=b9c3iFCfQEcTbg&riu=http%3a%2f%2fwww.gameteep.net%2fwp-content%2fuploads%2f2012%2f03%2fThe-Simpsons-Tapped-Out-Comic-Book-Guy.png&ehk=TJBzvw6ltdiyUpwssRLGTw6Df9b4rfx9yLl8b7avCH4%3d&risl=&pid=ImgRaw&r=0
    "Worst movie ever! I am only going to watch it thirteen more times."

This made me laugh! 😁😁
  • edited November 2021 Posts: 214
    NTTD loses almost half its US theaters this weekend....same thing happened with Spectre after about 7 weeks release...
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    CraterGuns wrote: »
    The thing is: movies like Dune or Eternals really will lose lots of money at the box office, more so than Bond. But we don't see The Times, Deadline and Co. putting out articles about that. Why is that? ... Almost no one walks out of "Dune" and thinks "This is a financial disaster", when in reality it is.
    In fact, as of now DUNE has made only about $20 million more (in the USA) than the notorious 2012 flop JOHN CARTER.

That seems to be what will end up possibly holding Denis Villeneuve back. He's a Nolan type who can't make money, it seems. Blade Runner was a big shock of a failure, and him coming out with a movie in this climate didn't help his chances of Dune profiting. Feel bad for the guy, because his talent is unquestionable.