NO TIME TO DIE (2021) - First Reactions SPOILERS ALLOWED

1208209211213214249

Comments

  • NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    Posts: 5,593
    @MakeshiftPython wrote that, not @Benny
  • mattjoesmattjoes Doctor Nose
    Posts: 4,898
    Wasn't Princess Vesper a character in Spaceballs? ;)
  • MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython Alpha Quadrant
    Posts: 5,520
    @ColonelAdamski is quoting me.

    And TMWTGG is god awful.
  • I'm getting it all wrong tonight!

    So sorry for the miss-quote and miss-spelling. Please don't gang up on me.
  • MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython Alpha Quadrant
    edited November 2021 Posts: 5,520
    Get ‘em, boys!
  • BennyBenny Classified Administrator, Moderator
    Posts: 12,199
    No one is going to gang up on you @ColonelAdamski , I was quoted incorrectly and merely wondered how. As to the miss spelling, it's not a big thing. Again I was merely correcting the spelling. Please don't take offense, when posting on an internet forum such instances are generally going to occur.
  • matt_umatt_u better known as Mr. Roark
    edited November 2021 Posts: 4,087
    The thing I love about Swann is that she really opens up only when she understands she’s going to lose Bond forever. Moments before his death.
    She experienced such traumatic experiences trough her childhood, went into hiding from everyone to escape her father and his silly life, learning to trust no one, being accused of betrayal even if totally innocent by the man she thought loved her and then raised their daughter all alone.
    She even tells it to Bond, that since they don’t trust anyone they were fools for trying.
    I understand some people feels there’s a lack of chemistry between them but their final scene is just heartbreaking and proves that from an emotional standpoint before that fatal ending they were just two persons defined by tragedy and cursed by death fearing to open up and fully embrace their feelings.
  • A complete badass... when he comes out from behind the door and fires the rifle one-handed up the stairs, during the longshot...

    This reminds me, I have to recount Paloma's kills, she pegged quite a few Spectre agents

  • matt_umatt_u better known as Mr. Roark
    Posts: 4,087
    A complete badass... when he comes out from behind the door and fires the rifle one-handed up the stairs, during the longshot...

    This reminds me, I have to recount Paloma's kills, she pegged quite a few Spectre agents

    10/12.
  • matt_u wrote: »
    The thing I love about Swann is that she really opens up only when she understands she’s going to lose Bond forever. Moments before his death.
    She experienced such traumatic experiences trough her childhood, went into hiding from everyone to escape her father and his silly life, learning to trust no one, being accused of betrayal even if totally innocent by the man she thought loved her and then raised their daughter all alone.
    She even tells it to Bond, that since they don’t trust anyone they were fools for trying.
    I understand some people feels there’s a lack of chemistry between them but their final scene is just heartbreaking and proves that from an emotional standpoint before that fatal ending they were just two persons defined by tragedy and cursed by death fearing to open up and fully embrace their feelings.

    There’s such a look of relief on his face when she says she loves him at the last minute. He knew, but he needed to hear it again.

    Such an opposite experience from her being the first to say it so quickly in Spectre.
  • donnydracodonnydraco America
    Posts: 15
    matt_u wrote: »
    Bond is really on fire throughout the final act. He kills a whooping total of 28 baddies, including Safin, without counting the ones he kills using the bombs in the lab.

    It took me right out of the movie. I hated Rambo-Bond in Tomorrow Never Dies, and I hate him now.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    Posts: 17,051
    donnydraco wrote: »
    matt_u wrote: »
    Bond is really on fire throughout the final act. He kills a whooping total of 28 baddies, including Safin, without counting the ones he kills using the bombs in the lab.

    It took me right out of the movie. I hated Rambo-Bond in Tomorrow Never Dies, and I hate him now.

    You've never fought scores of guys with only a machine gun before, have you?
    Thought not.
    :))
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Far, far, far, far, far, far, far away.
    Posts: 42,565
    Benny wrote: »
    No one is going to gang up on you @ColonelAdamski , I was quoted incorrectly and merely wondered how.

    This happens all the time. It is due to the difficulty of editing a chain of quotes. If you delete a character too many, or little, it gets bungled.
  • TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports
    Posts: 4,368
    Murdock wrote: »
    TripAces wrote: »
    Murdock wrote: »
    I finally saw it. Wow that was the worst Bond movie I've ever seen hands down. Even after reading the spoilers I'm annoyed. I honestly don't know what to say at this point. Way to piss on the legacy I guess. Bravo. I regret watching it now. I don't know what to say so I'll just leave it at that.

    Well, it wouldn't be the first time a film has "pissed" on the legacy. Maybe go back and re-watch Moonraker.

    Moonraker is the second best Bond film ever made. Pure majestic entertainment. No Time To Die is a funeral.

    I would never criticize another Bond fan's preferences. It's all Bond. But one has to admit: Moonraker moved (to a galaxy) far, far away from the typical Bond film. That's not a criticism. just an objective observation.
  • edited November 2021 Posts: 214
    TripAces wrote: »
    I would never criticize another Bond fan's preferences. It's all Bond. But one has to admit: Moonraker moved (to a galaxy) far, far away from the typical Bond film. That's not a criticism. just an objective observation.

    It goes from some of the daftest moments (a double-taking parrot, Jaws in love, Jaws trying to fly like a bird, the British Airways billboard etc) to one of the most gruesome moments of Rog's tenure, at least to me....Corinne Dufour being hunted and mauled to death by dogs. I still can't believe they slipped that chilling moment in there after all the levity.

    And don't get me wrong, I still prefer MR to anything with Brozza.
  • goldenswissroyalegoldenswissroyale Switzerland
    Posts: 3,107
    Corinne's death is one of the best scenes of the series, imo. The over the top humour in MR is way harder to handle for me than any serious moment in NTTD.
  • matt_umatt_u better known as Mr. Roark
    Posts: 4,087
    You only live twice;
    Once when you're born,
    And once when you look death in the face.


    m8jmEPs.jpeg
  • MalloryMallory Do mosquitoes have friends?
    Posts: 1,556
    (comes into thread after 3.3k comments)... So, what have I missed? :D

    Saw it for the ninth time last night. I really have a true appreciation for the opening in Norway. I think it is brilliantly done, the direction, music, acting, tension... all top notch. I do like it when Bond films go off on a completely different tangent.

    Also, I didn't notice this before, when Young Madeleine shoots Safin, she is the one who splinters his Noh mask, direct head shot. If you don't pay attention to it, you'll miss it.
  • matt_umatt_u better known as Mr. Roark
    Posts: 4,087
    Mallory wrote: »
    Also, I didn't notice this before, when Young Madeleine shoots Safin, she is the one who splinters his Noh mask, direct head shot. If you don't pay attention to it, you'll miss it.

  • AceHoleAceHole Belgium, via Britain
    Posts: 1,726
    DarthDimi wrote: »
    DarthDimi wrote: »

    "Make this place a haven for negative spam," you say. Is that why you are doing that very thing by getting even with "moderator Dimi" now in this thread? Have I hurt your feelings? Is this how you cope? Poor @MrsAuralSects.

    Please don't abuse your position by posting this type of nonsense and then waving your Moderator thimble when you're responded to.

    I'm abusing my position how again? Have I banned you? No. Have I issued warnings? No. But since you kept referring to me as "moderator Dimi", I felt compelled to answer in bold. It was the least I could do. And now, if you don't mind, I'm going to watch NTTD a fifth time, this time via VOD. I like that film, you see. I'm sure you can sympathise.

    'Moderator Dimi' #-o ...an unfortunate 1st name if ever there was one, I do hope you gave your parents hell for that...
  • TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports
    Posts: 4,368
    Corinne's death is one of the best scenes of the series, imo. The over the top humour in MR is way harder to handle for me than any serious moment in NTTD.

    I agree. MR took things too far for me, and that is why it ranks last. But as you note, Corinne's death is a terrific gripping scene (capped by Barry's fantastic score). I also like the moment when Jaws is in costume during Carnival and walks down the alley toward Manuela. It is a creepy scene (perhaps the creepiest in the series).

  • Jordo007Jordo007 Merseyside
    edited November 2021 Posts: 1,095
    matt_u wrote: »
    Mallory wrote: »
    Also, I didn't notice this before, when Young Madeleine shoots Safin, she is the one who splinters his Noh mask, direct head shot. If you don't pay attention to it, you'll miss it.


    I have to admit I missed it but it makes sense given that the mask is broken later on

    That's why I was expecting Safin to be revealed as Dr No, because the bullet holes in his coat are on the left side where his heart would be.
    I still don't know how Safin survived that, was it explained and I missed it?
  • matt_umatt_u better known as Mr. Roark
    Posts: 4,087
    Jordo007 wrote: »
    matt_u wrote: »
    Mallory wrote: »
    Also, I didn't notice this before, when Young Madeleine shoots Safin, she is the one who splinters his Noh mask, direct head shot. If you don't pay attention to it, you'll miss it.


    I have to admit I missed it but it makes sense given that the mask is broken later on

    That's why I was expecting Safin to be revealed as Dr No, because the bullet holes in his coat are on the left side where his heart would be.
    I still don't know how Safin survived that, was it explained and I missed it?

    When Swann is carrying him through the ice we can see him bleeding only from the right side of his body, close to his right arm. He definitely wore a bulletproof vest under the coat. He was shot close to the heart but the didn’t bleed from that part of his body, for example.
  • Jordo007Jordo007 Merseyside
    Posts: 1,095
    @matt_u good spot mate. I've seen it four times now and there's still so much to unpack
  • MalloryMallory Do mosquitoes have friends?
    Posts: 1,556
    matt_u wrote: »
    Jordo007 wrote: »
    matt_u wrote: »
    Mallory wrote: »
    Also, I didn't notice this before, when Young Madeleine shoots Safin, she is the one who splinters his Noh mask, direct head shot. If you don't pay attention to it, you'll miss it.


    I have to admit I missed it but it makes sense given that the mask is broken later on

    That's why I was expecting Safin to be revealed as Dr No, because the bullet holes in his coat are on the left side where his heart would be.
    I still don't know how Safin survived that, was it explained and I missed it?

    When Swann is carrying him through the ice we can see him bleeding only from the right side of his body, close to his right arm. He definitely wore a bulletproof vest under the coat. He was shot close to the heart but the didn’t bleed from that part of his body, for example.

    Given he was moving slowly and breathing heavily, with a large coat on, I always assumed he was wearing at least a bullet proof vest. He turned up to the house expecting a fight.
  • matt_umatt_u better known as Mr. Roark
    Posts: 4,087
    Jordo007 wrote: »
    @matt_u good spot mate. I've seen it four times now and there's still so much to unpack

    Yeah I know. I’ve seen it 7 times and only at my fourth I realized the flowers they put in Swann’s tea are the very same flowers that Safin describes as “the one that makes you do what you’re told”. Only on my seventh I noticed that the buyer’s boats are visible turning around very close to the island’s harbor the moment the missile strikes, for example haha.
  • VenutiusVenutius Yorkshire
    Posts: 600
    Jordo007 wrote: »
    That's why I was expecting Safin to be revealed as Dr No, because the bullet holes in his coat are on the left side where his heart would be.

    I wouldn't be at all surprised if Safin had been Dr. No in an earlier draft. This is another one of the many throwbacks.
  • Posts: 355
    He was Julius brother. Out for revenge.
  • MinionMinion Don't Hassle the Bond
    Posts: 1,165
    Did they ever actually mention the "Julius" part of Dr. No's name in Dr. No? That would have been a cute connection had his name been Julius Safin instead of Lucifer Satan.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Far, far, far, far, far, far, far away.
    Posts: 42,565
    Minion wrote: »
    Did they ever actually mention the "Julius" part of Dr. No's name in Dr. No? That would have been a cute connection had his name been Julius Safin instead of Lucifer Satan.

    In several countries, the film was called The Satanic Doctor No.
Sign In or Register to comment.