NO TIME TO DIE (2021) - First Reactions vs. Current Reactions

Comments

• MinionMinion Don't Hassle the Bond
    slide_99 wrote: »
    Nothing in DAD is an unforgivable as making Bond and Blofeld adoptive brothers. It just screams, "We can't derive any real drama from this premise, therefore we'll give the hero and villain an irrelevant past relationship that doesn't actually affect the plot in any way in order to trick the audience into thinking this movie has emotional resonance."

Bond doesn't ask to be taken to his 'adoptive brother' in Belmarsh....in fact I can't recall the word brother being used at all in NTTD....so where exactly does tricking the audience come into play?
    @slide_99 wouldn’t know since they still haven’t seen the movie they insist on criticizing. I wish I had that much free time to waste.
  • It's a bit like watching a tennis match in here. The film is the best received Bond since SF at the very least. Mostly positive reactions and reviews that I've seen and heard from IRL.
  • slide_99slide_99 USA
    I liked the movie, sword devil and slide (if he ever watches it) obviously don’t, and nothing will ever convince them it’s “good”, nothing will convince the fans that it’s “bad”. Hopefully there is more interesting discussion to be had.

I haven't said NTTD is a bad movie. From a technical standpoint it's probably at least competent. But I dislike the creative decisions behind the movie and that's why I currently have no plans to watch it.
    Why do you even bother posting then? Your commentary is less than useless.
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    Plenty to love or even just like a lot about NTTD.
    Box office during a pandemic shows that a LOT of the general public, worldwide, have enjoyed this movie. It has proven to have legs. That's just clear.

It will remain rather controversial. But mostly among longtime or die-hard Bond fans. As far as the world is concerned, it's a hit. The Bond series is golden still. And the next Bond will be different. So for those who cannot stand NTTD, for whatever reasons, cheer up and focus on the next one and go entertain yourself with the previous films.

It's a popular Bond movie, has done great box office (again, during a pandemic which timing makes me suspect Spectre), and critical acclaim has NOT tanked on it either. I think it is safe to say as this point that we can consider NTTD a successful Bond film, whether you enjoy it or not.
  • Well said @4EverBonded !! =D>
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    edited November 2021 Posts: 12,459
    It's just that people don't do themselves (or others) any favors sometimes.
    Continual carping or heavy negativity starts to seem like bitterness. Is that fun for them? Or the other members?

And really, in this thread, NOBODY should be commenting on NTTD if they have not seen it. (See the thread's title is a hint.)
  • NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    I liked the movie, sword devil and slide (if he ever watches it) obviously don’t, and nothing will ever convince them it’s “good”, nothing will convince the fans that it’s “bad”. Hopefully there is more interesting discussion to be had.

I haven't said NTTD is a bad movie. From a technical standpoint it's probably at least competent. But I dislike the creative decisions behind the movie and that's why I currently have no plans to watch it.

I don’t care, man
  • Minion wrote: »
    @slide_99 wouldn’t know since they still haven’t seen the movie they insist on criticizing. I wish I had that much free time to waste.

lol, thanks for telling me.

Birdleson wrote: »
    Stamper wrote: »
    If someone gets offended by Bond dying, then they never got Fleming in the first place, didn't they?

Let's not start that business; Who is a true fan? Who understands Fleming?

Never ends well, and it inherently causes resentment and bad blood. It comes of as pretentious and doesn't take any of the subtleties into consideration.

I am offended by Bond dying and I would like to have a conversation with anyone explaining to me how I do not understand Fleming, which has been a large part of my life for over 55 years.
    Well said.

Making it with Moneypenny on the desk is bad, I agree, but the moments Brozza is shooting people invading the MI6 HQ is one of the best action scenes of the film. That's the badass cold killer Bond we wanted to see, and they made it a VR joke.
  • matt_umatt_u better known as Mr. Roark
    edited November 2021 Posts: 4,343
    Revelator wrote: »
    matt_u wrote: »
    No. I only use simple logic. Killing off Bond is a big deal and they know it. If they end up repeating it all over again, his death will start to mean nothing. It’s just plain obvious.

Bond resigning from the service was also once a big deal, along with him genuinely falling in love. Anyway, if each Bond actor exists in a separate continuity, why would the death of one render the other's meaningless?

Those two plot points are not as huge as the hero dying. Making Bond’s death a tradition would lead to inherently lose the emotional punch and the meaning behind it. NTTD will be remembered as the one where Bond dies for a very long time.
  • DraxCucumberSandwichDraxCucumberSandwich United Kingdom
    echo wrote: »

With a better script, TWINE would and should have been Brosnan's crowning achievement as Bond. It's his third, and in an alternate universe, it is his best.

Yep, it’s such a frustrating near miss. Good ideas undermined by wanting to stick to formula (thus Christmas Jones ruining the Elektra arc). Tired action scenes that sound fun and imaginative in conception and are well staged but are let down by and flat direction . An interesting location, The Caucuses, that turns out to simply be too shabby and not anywhere near glamorous or glossy enough to suit the Bond universe. A cool idea for a villian unable to feel pain or pleasure who actually turns out to be the henchman, played by great actor, but who is simply not utilised in the film in any interesting or striking manner. I vastly prefer TWINE to TND but it should have been so much better
  • AceHoleAceHole Belgium, via Britain
    FoxRox wrote: »
    Nothing in DAD is an unforgivable as making Bond and Blofeld adoptive brothers. It just screams, "We can't derive any real drama from this premise, therefore we'll give the hero and villain an irrelevant past relationship that doesn't actually affect the plot in any way in order to trick the audience into thinking this movie has emotional resonance."

Bond doesn't ask to be taken to his 'adoptive brother' in Belmarsh....in fact I can't recall the word brother being used at all in NTTD....so where exactly does tricking the audience come into play?

In fairness, after Blofeld's death, Q does remark on account of the nanobots that "it's a good thing you're not actually related."

I was so happy that line was in there. Despite the fact it was made extremely clear in SP he was only a FOSTER brother, everyone somehow assumed it was step brother. BIG difference. Don’t even know how that got started.

It doesn't make that particular subplot any less daft for my money, though.

+1 indeed :))
  • peterpeter Toronto
    peter wrote: »
    Meta critic, Rotten maters, imdb, etc. Okay. But just look at general reactions on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and so on (where the vast majority of regular voters and Bond fans are). It’s fair to use the aforementioned ones that I spoke of, but if you want a big picture opinion scale, social media takes in a vastly larger and truer sample. People who have voted on Meta Critic, RT, Imdb, I.e. are more likely serious fans. And of course here the same is true. I don’t like the movie, but I’m glad it is doing well at the box office (internationally). But if you search out Bond Facebook pages, Twitter users, Instagrams, you’ll find that most did not like it. My uncle Watched it and he simply refuses to believe Bond died. And he liked the film.

Can you prove that?
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    I think it’s absolutely hilarious that @slide_99 is virtually ignoring every other metric of audience voting but then points out the one with a minuscule user amount and is like “THERE! CALLED IT! THIS MOVIE IS A BUST!!”

And he hasn’t even seen the goddamn film.

=))

People keep noting this bit of information yet keep getting outraged about it and reply to every post he makes, instead of ignoring him. That's why he keeps doing it. He's winning.

I’m not outraged, I’m entertained!

Can I prove it? Lol. Yeah, I proved it by taking the time, about 3 to 4 hours and poured over various sites, etc. @MakeshiftPython, you seem to think that people have a fever or something if they don’t like NTTD. Just look through the sources I mentioned and check it out for yourself. There are a lot of Bond fans that don’t like NTTD. And there’s plenty of reasons not to like it.

@sworddevil1 … the only criticism that counts in the film industry is $ and cents…. NTTD is making this bank because of return/repeat viewers (and with Bond, audiences do skew older, aka those not rushing back to cinemas); this film is a hit. Period…. Sorry it doesn’t fit into your narrative
    Have to disagree. Money does not determine if a movie is good/bad. I won’t get into the cost of NTTD, that’s been played out on another thread. If box office indicated a movie’s prestige, then F9 would be a great film. I assure you, its not.

@sworddevil1 I didnt say that money determines if a film is good or bad... I said that the only thing that counts in the film industry is dollars and cents, because that will tell the money people whether their product is a hit with the general audience; it also determines if it's worthy of a follow up film, in most cases.
    Taking a look at the numbers for NTTD, during a pandemic no less, and it's clear that the film is a huge hit with audiences. You don't make this amount of money without people returning for a second or third viewing.
    Sorry if this doesn't fit your narrative.
    Some here seem to be confusing not liking NTTD as a Bondfilm with being outraged at Bond's demise - they are two separate things.

I'm personally only mildly disappointed by the actual ending, it doesn't really bug me or make the film bad, as such.

It's the lack of entertaining action set pieces (apart from Matera) - which I DO expect from a Bondfilm -, the clumsy writing in the middle (Q's house, Belmarsh...) and the tired narrative of Bond being past it etc. that makes me feel lukewarm towards NTTD.

All this talk of the fatherhood/007 death aspect seems to be deflecting from the real weaknesses of it, as a Bondfilm.
  • Last_Rat_StandingLast_Rat_Standing Long Neck Ice Cold Beer Never Broke My Heart
    AceHole wrote: »
    Some here seem to be confusing not liking NTTD as a Bondfilm with being outraged at Bond's demise - they are two separate things.

I'm personally only mildly disappointed by the actual ending, it doesn't really bug me or make the film bad, as such.

It's the lack of entertaining action set pieces (apart from Matera) - which I DO expect from a Bondfilm -, the clumsy writing in the middle (Q's house, Belmarsh...) and the tired narrative of Bond being past it etc. that makes me feel lukewarm towards NTTD.

All this talk of the fatherhood/007 death aspect seems to be deflecting from the real weaknesses of it, as a Bondfilm.

Exactly. I've come to really like the movie but was upset at the ending. But it doesn't ruin everything great (with the exception of parts of the third act) for me.
  • matt_u wrote: »
    Revelator wrote: »
    matt_u wrote: »
    No. I only use simple logic. Killing off Bond is a big deal and they know it. If they end up repeating it all over again, his death will start to mean nothing. It’s just plain obvious.

Bond resigning from the service was also once a big deal, along with him genuinely falling in love. Anyway, if each Bond actor exists in a separate continuity, why would the death of one render the other's meaningless?

Those two plot points are not as huge as the hero dying. Making Bond’s death a tradition would lead to inherently lose the emotional punch and the meaning behind it. NTTD will be remembered as the one where Bond dies for a very long time.

Yeah I don’t think we’re going to be comparing death scenes for another few decades or so.

What I do think we might be doing though, if each actor is given his own clear cut continuity from now on, is comparing endings. Maybe one Bond will retire, maybe one will resign himself to life as a spy ala MR, maybe one will end up imprisoned. That kind of thing. And I find that exciting personally. I’d always wondered how each Bond’s story would end, and while I grew up with the old, loose ongoing continuity way of doing things, I think I like this new approach better. Just makes things more exciting imo, a bit more unpredictable. They could even manage a surprise ending if they wanted. We all knew Craig was leaving this time, so some of us saw his death coming, but what if they gave the next guy a similarly definitive ending, but kept it a secret? Tons of new storytelling possibilities.
    I think we're going to have at least two actors in a row either playing a loose continuity (no direct sequels, but you might have, say, an ally in film #1 return in film #4, use a minor SPECTRE character in film #2 and then do a Blofeld film for film #6, etc.) or a set of standalone adventures a la the first 20 films. For me personally, I'd prefer the former (I deeply wish they had done that for the first 40 years), but I don't mind the latter either; but I do think another tenure with a defined, hard start and finish isn't going to happen for a while.
  • Mrzstardust789Mrzstardust789 England
    edited November 2021 Posts: 4
    Has anyone noticed a lovely symmetry between NTTD and CR with the villains? The actor who was the scientist who invented Heracles played Mads Mikkelsens brother in a Danish film called Men and Chickens.
    edited November 2021 Posts: 1,727
    Has anyone noticed a lovely symmetry between NTTD and CR with the villains? The actor who was the scientist who invented Heracles played Mads Mikkelsens brother in a Danish film called Men and Chickens.

Well spotted! Both Danish actors. Dencik was excellent in Top of the lake (NZ series) by the way... VERY different character than in NTTD.

He was also in 'Follow The Money' (Danish series), which I also enjoyed v much
  • AceHole wrote: »

Well spotted! Both Danish actors. Dencik was excellent in Top of the lake (NZ series) by the way... VERY different character than in NTTD.

Agreed - excellent actor. He was also in Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy and played Gorbachev in HBO's Chernobyl series.

Agreed - excellent actor. He was also in Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy and played Gorbachev in HBO's Chernobyl series.

For such a relatively small population (5,5mil?) the Danes sure as hell produce a lot of fine internationally coveted actors... Mikkelson, Jesper Christensen, Viggo Mortensen, Connie Nielsen, Dencik, Coster-Waldau, Brigitte Nielsen...

ok, last one was a joke :>
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator

For such a relatively small population (5,5mil?) the Danes sure as hell produce a lot of fine internationally coveted actors... Mikkelson, Jesper Christensen, Viggo Mortensen, Connie Nielsen, Dencik, Coster-Waldau, Brigitte Nielsen...

Hey now, I always liked her in Beverly Hills Cop 2 (not that that's a shining example of thespian-level acting or anything).

But you're right, they've certainly produced a lot of talent from over there. I'm a fan of all of them. Mikkelsen's brother, Lars, is great too. There's also Thure Lindhardt, who was excellent alongside Mads in Flame & Citron (Jesper's in that one, too).
  • AceHole wrote: »

Not to mention Mads' brother Lars and fellow Bond alumnus Ulrich Thomsen. The list of well-known Danish directors is also impressive: Lars Von Trier, Thomas Vinterberg, Susanne Bier, Nicolas Winding Refn, Bille August. Some of them would be a good fit to direct Bond.
  • edited November 2021 Posts: 372
    The way it's going these days, it also possible that this is the last Bond we will ever see produced directly by Barbara and Michael, and that is why they ended it on such a high note.

They aren't in their 40's anymore, and the Bond are huge to produce. I think the possibility exist that they take an exec producer credit from now on and watch the brand crumble from afar just like it happened with the SW franchise which was killed and pulverised into dust with the sequel trilogy.

The studio and them might go where no Bond has gone before, and dust off the Young Bond script MGW made in 1985 (prior to TLD), and let a bland actor of the day like Timothée Chalamet sink the franchise counting Bond youth days.

That is one avenue.

The other is they keep close to their chest their property, and make a series of film that build upon what was explored in the Craig era (ie actual sequel, going in the direction Fleming was going with MWTGG).

I think the studio will push for Timothée Chalamet, despite that he can't carry a movie.
    Timothée Chalamet is no Kyle MacLachlan, that's for sure.
  • NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    Was he not good in Dune? I haven't seen it yet.
    How should I put it... I often forgot Paul was even there. Even Zendaya had more presence and she's only in the movie for 20-seconds.
  • matt_umatt_u better known as Mr. Roark
    They won't ever cast people like Chalamet or Holland.