NO TIME TO DIE (2021) - First Reactions vs. Current Reactions

Comments

• slide_99 wrote: »
    Nothing in DAD is an unforgivable as making Bond and Blofeld adoptive brothers. It just screams, "We can't derive any real drama from this premise, therefore we'll give the hero and villain an irrelevant past relationship that doesn't actually affect the plot in any way in order to trick the audience into thinking this movie has emotional resonance."

Bond doesn't ask to be taken to his 'adoptive brother' in Belmarsh....in fact I can't recall the word brother being used at all in NTTD....so where exactly does tricking the audience come into play?
  • matt_umatt_u better known as Mr. Roark
    Meta critic, Rotten maters, imdb, etc. Okay. But just look at general reactions on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and so on (where the vast majority of regular voters and Bond fans are). It’s fair to use the aforementioned ones that I spoke of, but if you want a big picture opinion scale, social media takes in a vastly larger and truer sample. People who have voted on Meta Critic, RT, Imdb, I.e. are more likely serious fans. And of course here the same is true. I don’t like the movie, but I’m glad it is doing well at the box office (internationally). But if you search out Bond Facebook pages, Twitter users, Instagrams, you’ll find that most did not like it. My uncle Watched it and he simply refuses to believe Bond died. And he liked the film.

The amazing legs of this film at the box-office prove that the word of mouth is very good. That’s it.
  • edited November 2021 Posts: 2,896
    donnydraco wrote: »
    See, I don't think most audience members would have been confused at all. Did anyone really think Timothy Dalton's Bond battled Odd Job in the caverns of Fort Knox once upon a time?

EON meant audiences to think that Dalton and Moore's Bond had both been married to Tracy, so I wouldn't agree. Audiences 35+ years ago would simply have been confused if Bond died, whereas audiences today are used to franchises continually rebooting and they pay far more attention to continuity.
    EON could have made the decision to kill off each Bond iteration at the end of his respective run, and the tradition would have eventually been embraced as sacrosanct.

If the next Bond actor is popular enough that probably will become a tradition.
    edited November 2021 Posts: 4,343
    It won’t ever become a tradition.
    matt_u wrote: »

Do you have a crystal ball?
    I doubt it, but who’s to say? I’d certainly be ticked off if it did. At least Bond only got married once so far. Hopefully this is another one time thing. Both films would also lose some memorability too if it repeated.
  • slide_99slide_99 USA
    slide_99 wrote: »
    Nothing in DAD is an unforgivable as making Bond and Blofeld adoptive brothers. It just screams, "We can't derive any real drama from this premise, therefore we'll give the hero and villain an irrelevant past relationship that doesn't actually affect the plot in any way in order to trick the audience into thinking this movie has emotional resonance."

Bond doesn't ask to be taken to his 'adoptive brother' in Belmarsh....in fact I can't recall the word brother being used at all in NTTD....

It doesn't matter if they don't use those specific words. Blofeld flat out says that he killed his father because he preferred Bond over him and wanted him treated as a little brother. It's in the dialogue.
    so where exactly does tricking the audience come into play?
    Giving the hero and villain a common origin is a shallow and comic bookish way of trying to generate drama where there isn't any. They could have just had Blofeld be Blofeld, a supervillain who wants to control global surveillance who has no personal connection to Bond, and had basically the same movie.
    Revelator wrote: »

Do you have a crystal ball?

No. I only use simple logic. Killing off Bond is a big deal and they know it. If they end up repeating it all over again, his death will start to mean nothing. It’s just plain obvious.

Bond doesn't ask to be taken to his 'adoptive brother' in Belmarsh....in fact I can't recall the word brother being used at all in NTTD....so where exactly does tricking the audience come into play?

In fairness, after Blofeld's death, Q does remark on account of the nanobots that "it's a good thing you're not actually related."

In fairness, after Blofeld's death, Q does remark on account of the nanobots that "it's a good thing you're not actually related."

I was so happy that line was in there. Despite the fact it was made extremely clear in SP he was only a FOSTER brother, everyone somehow assumed it was step brother. BIG difference. Don’t even know how that got started.

Blofeld calls Bond his “brother” at the Cuba party. Anyway only Blofeld is obsessed with this notion, Bond never gave a **** even in SP.
  • matt_u wrote: »
    Blofeld calls Bond his “brother” at the Cuba party.

Oooh, I better give that part another watch ~O)
  • NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada

Blofeld calls Bond his “brother” at the Cuba party. Anyway only Blofeld is obsessed with this notion, Bond never gave a **** even in SP.

Yep, Blofeld is the only one who cares. He's a very effective villain that way, he made everyone very upset with his foster brother nonsense!
    Meta critic, Rotten maters, imdb, etc. Okay. But just look at general reactions on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and so on (where the vast majority of regular voters and Bond fans are). It’s fair to use the aforementioned ones that I spoke of, but if you want a big picture opinion scale, social media takes in a vastly larger and truer sample. People who have voted on Meta Critic, RT, Imdb, I.e. are more likely serious fans. And of course here the same is true. I don’t like the movie, but I’m glad it is doing well at the box office (internationally). But if you search out Bond Facebook pages, Twitter users, Instagrams, you’ll find that most did not like it. My uncle Watched it and he simply refuses to believe Bond died. And he liked the film.

Can you prove that?
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    I think it’s absolutely hilarious that @slide_99 is virtually ignoring every other metric of audience voting but then points out the one with a minuscule user amount and is like “THERE! CALLED IT! THIS MOVIE IS A BUST!!”

And he hasn’t even seen the goddamn film.

=))

People keep noting this bit of information yet keep getting outraged about it and reply to every post he makes, instead of ignoring him. That's why he keeps doing it. He's winning.

I’m not outraged, I’m entertained!

Can I prove it? Lol. Yeah, I proved it by taking the time, about 3 to 4 hours and poured over various sites, etc. @MakeshiftPython, you seem to think that people have a fever or something if they don’t like NTTD. Just look through the sources I mentioned and check it out for yourself. There are a lot of Bond fans that don’t like NTTD. And there’s plenty of reasons not to like it.

Bond doesn't ask to be taken to his 'adoptive brother' in Belmarsh....in fact I can't recall the word brother being used at all in NTTD....

It doesn't matter if they don't use those specific words. Blofeld flat out says that he killed his father because he preferred Bond over him and wanted him treated as a little brother. It's in the dialogue.
    so where exactly does tricking the audience come into play?
    Giving the hero and villain a common origin is a shallow and comic bookish way of trying to generate drama where there isn't any. They could have just had Blofeld be Blofeld, a supervillain who wants to control global surveillance who has no personal connection to Bond, and had basically the same movie.

And it would have been much better.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    FoxRox wrote: »

I was so happy that line was in there. Despite the fact it was made extremely clear in SP he was only a FOSTER brother, everyone somehow assumed it was step brother. BIG difference. Don’t even know how that got started.

It doesn't make that particular subplot any less daft for my money, though.
  • peterpeter Toronto

Can you prove that?
    I think it’s absolutely hilarious that @slide_99 is virtually ignoring every other metric of audience voting but then points out the one with a minuscule user amount and is like “THERE! CALLED IT! THIS MOVIE IS A BUST!!”

=))

People keep noting this bit of information yet keep getting outraged about it and reply to every post he makes, instead of ignoring him. That's why he keeps doing it. He's winning.

Can I prove it? Lol. Yeah, I proved it by taking the time, about 3 to 4 hours and poured over various sites, etc. @MakeshiftPython, you seem to think that people have a fever or something if they don’t like NTTD. Just look through the sources I mentioned and check it out for yourself. There are a lot of Bond fans that don’t like NTTD. And there’s plenty of reasons not to like it.

@sworddevil1 … the only criticism that counts in the film industry is $ and cents…. NTTD is making this bank because of return/repeat viewers (and with Bond, audiences do skew older, aka those not rushing back to cinemas); this film is a hit. Period…. Sorry it doesn’t fit into your narrative

Oh I think the entire "Brofeld" thing is unbelievably stupid, I just think NTTD did about as good a job as it could have in shoving it aside while still not going the Diamonds Are Forever route of pretending the previous film doesn't exist.

That’s not my point. I didn’t like it either like everyone else, but to me it still would have been even worse and I just wish more people paid attention.
    No. I only use simple logic. Killing off Bond is a big deal and they know it. If they end up repeating it all over again, his death will start to mean nothing. It’s just plain obvious.

Bond resigning from the service was also once a big deal, along with him genuinely falling in love. Anyway, if each Bond actor exists in a separate continuity, why would the death of one render the other's meaningless?
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland

Oh I think the entire "Brofeld" thing is unbelievably stupid, I just think NTTD did about as good a job as it could have in shoving it aside while still not going the Diamonds Are Forever route of pretending the previous film doesn't exist.

I agree. It's a shame they pigeon holed themselves in that way, but they handled it quite well all things considered.

That’s not my point. I didn’t like it either like everyone else, but to me it still would have been even worse and I just wish more people paid attention.

No, that's fair enough @FoxRox. There's been a lot of arguments since 2015 that amount to semantics, and all can be stemmed back to the terrible writing. Step-brother or foster brother, it's all the same to me.
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    I know some aren’t fans of her performance but Sophie Marceau and her character Elektra are far and away the highlights of TWINE for me. Christmas Jones appearing on the scene completely undermines the Bond / Elektra arc.

Is Bond killing Elektra the coldest kill in the franchise? He straight up executes her. There is Dent in DN that comes to mind. Louque in FYEO often gets highlighted (and I suppose going forward Ash in NTTD) but I think it’s memorable partly because it’s so unMoore like

With a better script, TWINE would and should have been Brosnan's crowning achievement as Bond. It's his third, and in an alternate universe, it is his best.
  • edited November 2021 Posts: 214
    Blofeld calls Bond his “brother” at the Cuba party.

Yep, I heard it....just before the killer-cooties come raining down....

• edited November 2021 Posts: 526
    peter wrote: »

Can you prove that?

=))

@sworddevil1 … the only criticism that counts in the film industry is $ and cents…. NTTD is making this bank because of return/repeat viewers (and with Bond, audiences do skew older, aka those not rushing back to cinemas); this film is a hit. Period…. Sorry it doesn’t fit into your narrative
    Have to disagree. Money does not determine if a movie is good/bad. I won’t get into the cost of NTTD, that’s been played out on another thread. If box office indicated a movie’s prestige, then F9 would be a great film. I assure you, its not.
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start

Can you prove that?

=))

Have to disagree. Money does not determine if a movie is good/bad. I won’t get into the cost of NTTD, that’s been played out on another thread. If box office indicated a movie’s prestige, then F9 would be a great film. I assure you, its not.

For the most part, opinion decides if a movie is good or bad, and a way of determining opinion is how much money something makes.

Also, F9 is not a good comparison. People know going in that a Fast & Furious movie will be ridiculous and stupid, which is why they go and see them.

NTTD is doing far better than your Twitter/Facebook crowd would have you believe. I know that from asking actual people who saw it at the theater at the same time I did.
    edited November 2021 Posts: 7,526
    It's all anecdotal. Nothing "decides" if a movie is good or bad.

Some people will like it, some people will not.
  • edited November 2021 Posts: 526

Can you prove that?

=))

For the most part, opinion decides if a movie is good or bad, and a way of determining opinion is how much money something makes.

Also, F9 is not a good comparison. People know going in that a Fast & Furious movie will be ridiculous and stupid, which is why they go and see them.

NTTD is doing far better than your Twitter/Facebook crowd would have you believe. I know that from asking actual people who saw it at the theater at the same time I did.

Agree that F9 is ridiculous and stupid. Will NTTD win any awards? We’ll see, but I doubt it. In reality, there’s no way to prove if any movie is good, great, a classic, or it is just plain ****. However, truly great films endure, and gain momentum and respect over time. Academy Award nominations, Golden Globes, etc. sure do help the legitimacy of a film. Will NTTD get 7 or 8 Academy Award noms? I highly doubt it. Will it get 1 or 2? Shaky odds. Did it make $? That is even subjective right now as well; this movie cost a ton of $. Ever since Disney got...”peeved” over The Last Jedi, it has put rules and restrictions on audience member ratings. Who really knows what is or isn’t accurate today on these aggregators and site polls? I can read people’s comments, and most that I’ve read are negative toward NTTD. Not all, but most. I’d say at least 65%. I’m not going to tally it up, so it’s my estimation. The Last Jedi made a lot of $...ask Star Wars fans about it. You’ll get a strong reaction either way. And mostly negative I’d bet. Audience scores on RT used to be a good measure of fan love/hate for a movie. Until the powers that be didn’t like the results.
    I liked the movie, sword devil and slide (if he ever watches it) obviously don’t, and nothing will ever convince them it’s “good”, nothing will convince the fans that it’s “bad”. Hopefully there is more interesting discussion to be had.
  • Haters gonna hate....lol

I haven't watched a single Brozza Bond movie from start to finish since 2005...and would rather use the DAD disc from my blu-ray set as a coaster or frisbee than actually watch it, because it is that pathetic.

So if some of these lot want to harp and moan and groan about NTTD....whatever floats their bloody boat....lol
  • BirdlesonBirdleson Moderator
    It's all anecdotal. Nothing "decides" if a movie is good or bad.

Some people will like it, some people will not.

You’d think that would be enough to end most of the sillier debates right there.