NO TIME TO DIE (2021) - Critical Reaction and Box Office Performance

Comments

• edited November 2021 Posts: 3,164
    Is the Universal logo expected to survive into home media? Watching the US version, you would never know they had any involvement. Quite a contrast to how prominent Sony was with the first four Craig films.

Because they aren't involved in the US at all! Sony was responsible the US release of the previous ones.

Yeah, the international versions should have it for sure. If anything I am worried the US version without the Universal logo won't survive to physical media as Uni is involved with the US Blu/DVD release specifically.
  • matt_umatt_u better known as Mr. Roark
    The intro with the Universal logo is very cool imo.
  • MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”
    antovolk wrote: »
    Is the Universal logo expected to survive into home media? Watching the US version, you would never know they had any involvement. Quite a contrast to how prominent Sony was with the first four Craig films.

Because they aren't involved in the US at all! Sony was responsible the US release of the previous ones.

Yeah, the international versions should have it for sure. If anything I am worried the US version without the Universal logo won't survive to physical media as Uni is involved with the US Blu/DVD release specifically.

That's interesting, I guess that was part of the deal to partner up.

IIRC, WB is currently the new physical media distributor for MGM after Fox's deal expired. I suppose they could handle the first 24 films, until Universal's video rights expire much like Sony's did over CR.
    antovolk wrote: »

That's interesting, I guess that was part of the deal to partner up.

IIRC, WB is currently the new physical media distributor for MGM after Fox's deal expired. I suppose they could handle the first 24 films, until Universal's video rights expire much like Sony's did over CR.

Yeah, MGM/UAR retained the US rights to the film, and global digital, while international theatrical and global physical home ent went to Uni.
  • Bond is bigger
    I keep asking my husband....is the VOD up yet? Is it up yet? And he's like, bitch please....lol

Eh?
    Yes, it will be on the foreign home-video versions.
  • FYI, Amazon Prime is offering early access RIGHT NOW.

NqAmlsu.jpg

Yes! This is great news!
    @NickTwentyTwo Thursday is a day off for us Canadians guess it is time to watch NTTD from home. :-h
  • NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    Can't wait! Unfortunately I'll be working on Thursday due to the nature of my work, so I'll probably try to get in a viewing tonight!
  • peterpeter Toronto
    To the fellow Canucks: watched on Apple tv this morning; will be watching later with two out of my three kids... And before it disappears in 48 hours, I'll get in at least one more viewing... I sighed with relief as the music started and the gun barrel rolled out.... Pure heaven...
    It just gets better and better... (Now I can flood tears in the comfort of my own home).
  • TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports
    I am home, watching NTTD right now. This feels odd.
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    edited November 2021 Posts: 12,459
    Well, yes. It is made for the big screen for ultimate enjoyment.
    But I'll get the DVD asap, of course. Saw it 3 times at the cinema. Absolutely fantastic, and I know that experience cannot be replicated at home (my cinema's screen was 2 stories high with incredible sound). Really very happy for all could not see NTTD in the theater - they can at least enjoy it now, before the DVD (which feels like it will take forever) becomes available).
  • RyanRyan Canada
    48 hour window means my weekend is set. Watch it once on Saturday and one on Sunday. Cheaper than seeing it twice more at the cinema and I can enjoy it on my home setup!
  • Kind of funny but I'm excited to watch with subtitles, I had a hard time hearing Safin's lines in particular.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Kind of funny but I'm excited to watch with subtitles, I had a hard time hearing Safin's lines in particular.

Honestly, that's one of the aspects I'm most excited for here, so I can properly, clearly hear all the dialogue in the film. I can't wait.
  • FeyadorFeyador Montreal, Canada
    edited November 2021 Posts: 735
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    Kind of funny but I'm excited to watch with subtitles, I had a hard time hearing Safin's lines in particular.

Honestly, that's one of the aspects I'm most excited for here, so I can properly, clearly hear all the dialogue in the film. I can't wait.

Yes, definitely ... the subtitle function will help clear-up some badly heard dialogue!
    Maybe a stupid question, I know an individual rental only lasts 48hrs or what have you, but will it now be available to rent indefinitely? Does anyone know if they're going to take it off these streaming services at some point?
    Maybe a stupid question, I know an individual rental only lasts 48hrs or what have you, but will it now be available to rent indefinitely? Does anyone know if they're going to take it off these streaming services at some point?

There's been no alert or heads up about that happening; it's fair to assume at this point, the VOD version will be here to stay for good. So yes, you should be able to rent it again, if you so choose.
    But I'll get the DVD asap, of course. Saw it 3 times at the cinema. Absolutely fantastic, and I know that experience cannot be replicated at home (my cinema's screen was 2 stories high with incredible sound). Really very happy for all could not see NTTD in the theater - they can at least enjoy it now, before the DVD (which feels like it will take forever) becomes available).

Are you english native speakers?

Because I'm not. I just learned it in school, and had no problem to understand anything by Safin or other characters.
    Jan1985 wrote: »

Are you english native speakers?

Because I'm not. I just learned it in school, and had no problem to understand anything by Safin or other characters.

I am. For me, it was clearly a theater issue - the score heavily overpowered the dialogue, as did the sound effects, to the point that I couldn't make out much of what was being said throughout. My second viewing was at the same cinema but a half-sized theater, so it was a LOT easier for me to make out dialogue, for whatever reason, but not 100 percent.
  • I'm a 'bit' hard of hearing, so I prefer subtitles at home. Plus our household is bilingual so it's always been easier to have subtitles on!

I guess I shouldn't have cranked the speakers so much when I was a kid. :))
    I've always preferred subtitles and will use them whenever they're available. I even thought about trying them out in-theater during my second viewing but had no idea how they worked (something to do with mirrors and back projection or whatever) and didn't want to over-complicate my second trip.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    From the look of a screengrab on Twitter it's not in IMAX format which I find frustrating to be honest: why won't they release these films in IMAX ratio? It fits TV screens better!
    CANADIANS: You can also rent it from Cineplex for the same price and get scene points while you're at it
    I love how the final US trailer is exact copy of the Mad Max Fury Road legacy trailer. They have the same slogans, the same beats.
  • MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”
    mtm wrote: »
    From the look of a screengrab on Twitter it's not in IMAX format which I find frustrating to be honest: why won't they release these films in IMAX ratio? It fits TV screens better!

I felt that way about SKYFALL.

Ultimately, I think these are the directors’ preferred aspect ratio, and the IMAX ratio is really just considered a bonus for those screenings to take advantage of the large screens.

There’s only been a few releases with the shifting aspect ratio, mostly by Nolan. Personally, I prefer having a fixed aspect ratio. SKYFALL was at least 1:90 from start to finish.

I just got back from ETERNALS and boy does the ratio shift A LOT in that film. I’m glad Fukunaga shot the entire PTS in IMAX rather than have it constantly shifting ARs throughout!
  • RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.
    Stamper wrote: »
    I love how the final US trailer is exact copy of the Mad Max Fury Road legacy trailer. They have the same slogans, the same beats.

Right on, @Stamper.

hero_thousand_faces.jpg?w=223&h=338

• brinkeguthriebrinkeguthrie Piz Gloria
    edited November 2021 Posts: 1,400
    SPOILERS: Just finished it: wow. Comments: Gorgeous production values: IMO the best looking of all of the series. Liked the Dr No intro. Safin was pretty boring and one-note. Q was great. M was grumpy. Moneypenny underused. Not enough Paloma, she lit up the screen. Cute kid. Snappy dialogue. RIP Felix. Wish they’d just ended it with him driving off into the the sunset, tho. Definitely rank it as the best Craig entry, and in my top five of the entire series. Now let’s see how he’ll return.
    NTTD is still the best-selling movie of the year, with 3 613 924 seats sold in France.
  • matt_umatt_u better known as Mr. Roark
    edited November 2021 Posts: 4,343
    In Italy too, even tho Eternals is gonna surpass it.

Worth mentioning that Bond's first two weeks in Italy were damaged from theaters working with a 50% capacity.