NO TIME TO DIE (2021) - Critical Reaction and Box Office Performance

Comments

• matt_umatt_u better known as Mr. Roark
    edited November 2021 Posts: 4,343
    Regarding the domestic box-office, from Variety:
    MGM and UAR’s “No Time to Die” looks to take third. Daniel Craig’s final outing as James Bond is continuing to put up impressive holds since its opening in early October. The film is projected to draw $5.78 million, a mere 25% drop from its previous weekend.
  • Junglist_1985Junglist_1985 Los Angeles
    Just checking a few screenings here around Los Angeles tonight… they are mostly packed theaters!
  • edited November 2021 Posts: 2,015
    Venutius wrote: »
    British people had a long wait if they wanted to re-watch Dr. No - UK tv didn't show any Bond films at all until 1975!

In France, the first Bond movie shown on public TV was in 1987. And to tell you how popular Roger was, it was TSWLM !

So in the late 70s early 80s young kids like me could actually see Bond movies only by asking their parents to rent VHS at the video club !
    Thank god that’s over.
    In France, you could also often see old Bond films at the arthouse cinemas.

They had Bond weeks where they would show 4 Bond films every other day at different times, so a film was show 3 times before being replaced by some other old films reprise.

This is how I saw DAF the first time, in a small empty theater, and countless other Bond films. I had a blast because in 35mm, the film is a trip. I think I went back the three times.

Only now do I realise how lucky I was, because they were basically private screening of old 35mm copies. You need a lot of money now to see one (they only show DCPs).

It was a time where you could see a Bond film in 35mm for about 1,50 buck. Crazy.
    Venutius wrote: »
    British people had a long wait if they wanted to re-watch Dr. No - UK tv didn't show any Bond films at all until 1975!

In France, the first Bond movie shown on public TV was in 1987. And to tell you how popular Roger was, it was TSWLM !

So in the late 70s early 80s young kids like me could actually see Bond movies only by asking their parents to rent VHS at the video club !

That just prompted me to check when the Bond films were first shown on TV. Goldfinger in the UK was 1976. And I remember watching it then with my Dad. So I saw my first ever Bond film when I was 4 years old! Wow! The love affair started way back then.
  • Thank god that’s over.

What's over?
    NTTD is projected to become Denmark’s highest grossing film ever, topping Avatar. That’s cool.
  • zebrafishzebrafish <°)))< in Octopussy's garden in the shade
    Germany: Still going strong in my home town. 18 shows for the rest of the week, compared to 14 for the Eternals in their first week, I think. Dune is only 1 show. NTTD has got looong legs!
    Based on my local cinemas most showings are least at 75% sold today
  • goldenswissroyalegoldenswissroyale Switzerland
    edited November 2021 Posts: 4,388
    Matt007 wrote: »
    Based on my local cinemas most showings are least at 75% sold today

Where are you from? That's good news.
    And Denmark and Germany have a very good taste! I hope it will still attract people here in Switzerland, too.
  • edited November 2021 Posts: 1,314
    ^ London
    NTTD’s estimated global total now stands at $667.5 million!

That means that globally Bond dropped just a 23% compared to the previous week!

$55 million to go in order to best F9.
  • RyanRyan Canada
    M watching the box office crawling close to Fast 9:
    "Come on, Bond."
  • manovermanover uk
    That's fantastic news...let's hope it can get to 750 million worldwide...which I think is realistic now.
    Keep in mind that it still hasn't opened in Australia and the pre-sales and hype are at a level unheard of in that country before. I think it can rely on an easy $50m there, $750m worldwide seems like it'll have to happen at this point.
    At this point NTTD will best F9 even without Australia. If it really makes $50 million there its final total will be in the $775 million range.

In the UK NTTD is now the 5th highest grossing film ever. It needs only £3.6 million to best Avatar and £4.9 to best SP.
  • Outside of Dahn Andah, is there anywhere else NTTD needs to open?
    Malaysia and Philippines that will bring maybe $10 million.
  • MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”
    Damn, this movie’s got legs.
  • Junglist_1985Junglist_1985 Los Angeles
    Is $800 million in the cards including VOD?
  • NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    Sorry I'm late to this party, and maybe it's already been mentioned, but it looks like NTTD will be available to rent on Amazon Prime Video in the US starting this Tuesday, November 9th:

Absolutely.
  • I'm hoping, honestly hoping that NTTD goes guns on VOD....if only to silence the naysayers who are lambasting the movie's performance in the US and claiming it's because the movie sucks.

It's done well, to very well everywhere else given all the givens

Mendelson now predicts that Bond will end up its domestic run in-between the $160/168 million range.

$800M may be in play without VOD. NTTD certainly has a chance to come close.

Burgess wrote: »

I don't think we will ever get data for VOD/Streaming/Blu-Ray-Grosses.

Or are there figures what Sprectre made on VOD, Blu-Ray and Co?
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    My local cinema is now down to 1-2 screenings per day.
  • MalloryMallory Do mosquitoes have friends?
    edited November 2021 Posts: 2,055
    Jan1985 wrote: »
    Burgess wrote: »

I don't think we will ever get data for VOD/Streaming/Blu-Ray-Grosses.

Or are there figures what Sprectre made on VOD, Blu-Ray and Co?

I dont know where these numbers come from, but looks like $30m US for the dvd and blu ray, whilst the sales were tracked.

https://www.the-numbers.com/movie/Spectre#tab=video-sales