What Directors Should Helm A Bond Film?

Comments

• MSL49MSL49 Finland
    Ridley Scott.
  • MalloryMallory Do mosquitoes have friends?
    MSL49 wrote: »
    Ridley Scott.

I was thinking that the other day, Ridley would certainly craft an excellent film. He doesn't have a great eye for scripts though, so whoever writes it will have to be on the ball, but he would direct the hell out of it.
  • MSL49 wrote: »
    Ridley Scott.
    He would have been a great choice back in the late 80s, early 90s. It's quite easy to imagine him directing Wilson & Ruggiero's Bond 17 treatment.
    Ridley Scott.
    He would have been a great choice back in the late 80s, early 90s. It's quite easy to imagine him directing Wilson & Ruggiero's Bond 17 treatment.

Yup, I have a feeling he is too old now.
  • AceHoleAceHole Belgium, via Britain
    edited November 2021 Posts: 1,727
    Wolfgang Petersen (Das Boot, In the Line Of Fire, Outbreak, Airforce One...)

Is he still making movies...?
  • matt_umatt_u better known as Mr. Roark
    edited November 2021 Posts: 4,343
    I'd say Edgar Wright.

Smart, talented, knows how to wright... and a Bond fan.
  • sandbagger1sandbagger1 Sussex
    matt_u wrote: »
    I'd say Edgar Wright.

As we saw with him exiting Ant-Man, though, he's very much his own man. That might not work for Eon.
    I'd say Edgar Wright.

As we saw with him exiting Ant-Man, though, he's very much his own man. That might not work for Eon.

Maybe, yes, but I’d say that Marvel in general is even less open to let director speak with their own voice since everything must stick to their bigger plan.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    edited November 2021 Posts: 7,889
    Delete
  • MalloryMallory Do mosquitoes have friends?
    edited November 2021 Posts: 2,035
    I'd say Edgar Wright.

Maybe, yes, but I’d say that Marvel in general is even less open to let director speak with their own voice since everything must stick to their bigger plan.

Yeah, I would say Bond directors have a little more wiggle room than a Marvel production. And we still dont know for sure what caused the Boyle rift. They could have been 99% on the same page and that last 1% (NTTD’s eventual ending and probably the most crucial part) caused the split.
    Mallory wrote: »
    I'd say Edgar Wright.

Yeah, I would say Bond directors have a little more wiggle room than a Marvel production. And we still dont know for sure what caused the Boyle rift. They could have been 99% on the same page and that last 1% (NTTD’s eventual ending and probably the most crucial part) caused the split.

Yes Boyle not wanting to go the EoN route for the ending…
  • MSL49MSL49 Finland
    Boyle can return for the next movie.
    Not! Cosmatos wasn't a director, all his big budget films were ghost directed by either Stallone or Kurt Russell.

I think Christophe Gans has a chance. He is stylish, and he directed both Monica Bellucci and Lea Seydoux in past films.
    Denis Villeneuve. If this god doesn’t direct Bond one day it will be a massive missed opportunity.
    edited November 2021 Posts: 1,727
    Denis Villeneuve. If this god doesn’t direct Bond one day it will be a massive missed opportunity.

I'm sure many, incuding myself, would love to see Villeneuve helming a Bondfilm.

But as I said earlier, Villeneuve has made such a name for himself in his beloved 'highvalue-sci-fi' genre and is quite the auteur director, he would probably demand even more creative license than Sam Mendes did.

Also EoN may be weary of Villeneuve's insouciance of commercial production, 'Blade Runner 2049', though a brilliant film, might put Babs off...
    Villeneuve is amazing but he feels like an odd choice to launch a new era. His style may be too distinctive, perhaps.
  • MSL49MSL49 Finland
    Blade runner 2049 was good movie.
    Blade runner 2049 was good movie.

Wholeheartedly agree. I'd go as far as to say that it was a quietly forgotten masterpiece.
    But studio exces will have taken note that Villeneuve is perhaps not their ideal man to direct a popular franchise hat requires big box office takings, ergo mass appeal..
    Dune is a much more commercial film. They ought to look at that instead.
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    Villeneuve, CJF and Edgar Wright would be my top picks. I'd like to see how CJF works with a debut Bond, I really liked what he did with NTTD. He's a good director.
    I'm not sold on Nolan, as I've said before it's a Bond film, not a Nolan film featuring James Bond. As for Christopher McQuarrie, I feel his time directing MI movies would rule him out. Not only by EON, but by McQuarrie as well.
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    This clip has probably been posted already, but I've been away so incase it hasn't, here we can see that Nolan knows his onions. He knows the history with Thunderball and McClory, and he says Dalton came closet to Flemings Bond. This man needs to direct Bond 26 honestly...

• This clip has probably been posted already, but I've been away so incase it hasn't, here we can see that Nolan knows his onions. He knows the history with Thunderball and McClory, and he says Dalton came closet to Flemings Bond. This man needs to direct Bond 26 honestly...

I was a big proponent of Nolan for the job a few years ago, because he is very good at making blockbusters that feel epic in scale, but I’ve gone right off him since to be honest. I thought after Dunkirk that he was back on the upswing, but Tenet was a mess full of all his usual flaws (tons of exposition, complicated for the sake of it, sterile, clinical, endlessly po-faced). And can you think of one memorable female character from any of his films? That doesn’t bode well for any of his potential Bond girls.

Mendes bought colour back to the series, Fugunaka has just managed to match that colour with the virility of early Craig. Nolan would just feel like a step down imo. I would’ve been over the moon if they’d got him in the late 2000s/early 2010s, but now I think we might have dodged a bullet.
  • If people would like to see a new direction, perhaps with a little bit more humour, I really can't see either Fukunaga, Nolan or Villeneuve as directors, at least for the next movie. The tone and style would be way too similar to the latest movies.
    Edgar Wright on the other hand, could bring some needed change, even though I'm not even a huge fan of his movies.
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    I love that he knows his Bond, but I still feel it would be a Christopher Nolan movie.
    We'd lose the uniqueness of Bond if Nolan directed. Bond has never attracted or used A list directors.
  • MSL49MSL49 Finland
    Wright could be good.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    Benny wrote: »
    I love that he knows his Bond, but I still feel it would be a Christopher Nolan movie.
    We'd lose the uniqueness of Bond if Nolan directed. Bond has never attracted or used A list directors.

This is the problem I have with a lot of the high falutin names like your Nolan's, Fukanaga's and Villeneuve's.

Now Gareth Evans would be a brilliant choice. Anyone who has seen The Raid, will now how much of a game changer that film was. It took me longer than it should have, to watch The Raid, because I kept rewinding to see certain sequences again. The Raid 2... eh, not so much.
    Benny wrote: »

Agreed. Nolan is almost a brand.
  • TheQueensPeaceTheQueensPeace That's Classified
    NO TO NOLAN / WRIGHT / CORY part 2.
    Yes to:
    Martin Campbell
    John Madden
    Roger Michell
    Mike Newell
    Matthew Vaughn
    Mimi Leder
    Kathryn Bigelow
    Paul Greengrass