What Directors Should Helm A Bond Film?

Comments

• Nolan and Villeneuve have a pitch for the Bond reboot? I thought they were working on other projects right now?
    Personally I hope neither will work on the next Bond movie. It would be way too similar to the latest movies.
    Edgar Wright is an interesting option, though. He could bring some humor back and take the series in a fresh direction. However, I think they will continue with the same direction as before, sadly.
  • MSL49MSL49 Finland
    Campbell for new bond.
  • DoctorKaufmannDoctorKaufmann Can shoot you from Stuttgart and still make it look like suicide.
    edited October 2021 Posts: 1,261
    Danny Boyle
    Denis Villeneuve
    Martin Campbell
    Cary Joji Fukunaga
    Christopher Nolan
    Thomas Alfredsson
    Fede Alvarez
    Alfonso Cuaron
    Alejandro González Iñárritu
    Edgar Wright
    Rian Johnson
    Of the above list, I really would love to see Alfonso Cuaron take the helm! Think he would be a very creative choice!
  • Junglist_1985Junglist_1985 Los Angeles
    edited October 2021 Posts: 1,006
    Villeneuve will be busy with Dune 2 and possibly 3 for the next several years. I think he should direct the third film for the next Bond (2027-2028) since we all know an actor’s 3rd is when they shake things up and go big.

So my hopes are:
    Campbell for Bond 26
    Boyle or A Cuaron for Bond 27
    Villeneuve or Fukunaga for Bond 28

Honestly though we know Cary has an idea for introducing a new Bond already, so if they bring him back right away for Bond 26 I’d be beyond thrilled.
  • DoctorKaufmannDoctorKaufmann Can shoot you from Stuttgart and still make it look like suicide.
    Villeneuve will be busy with Dune 2 and possibly 3 for the next several years. I think he should direct the third film for the next Bond (2027-2028) since we all know an actor’s 3rd is when they shake things up and go big.

So my hopes are:
    Campbell for Bond 26
    Boyle or A Cuaron for Bond 27
    Villeneuve or Fukunaga for Bond 28

Honestly though we know Cary has an idea for introducing a new Bond already, so if they bring him back right away for Bond 26 I’d be beyond thrilled.

If Fukunaga really is interested in introducing the new Bond and has already some ideas, which EON would support, I'd also be thrilled to see how he can bring on Bond #7. Apart from that, I fully agree with Junglist_1985.
  • slide_99slide_99 USA
    Nolan, Wright, or Campbell. Someone who understands pacing and style. Please no more arthouse directors and Oscar-chasers. These are not prestige films.
    Never had Edgar Wright pegged as a good fit for Bond. Love Shaun of the Dead and Hot Fuzz but found Baby Driver massively overrated. However, based on recent comments made by Wright it seems he would be in favour of lightening Bond up a bit and God knows I'm all for that. I think we've had enough darkness and introspection for a while.
  • SzonanaSzonana Mexico
    cwl007 wrote: »
    Taika Waititi directing along with an actor playing Bond with a slightly lighter touch would be a nice change of tone. Still have a 'serious' film but with that more comedic edge that waititi is skilled at.

That is a brilliant idea!!! I think we're due a change of tone.

Definitely yes to Taika Waititi he would be great or James Gunn

• SzonanaSzonana Mexico
    renno61 wrote: »
    Tomas Alfredson,David Leitch,Antoine Fuqua,Peter Jackson,James Mangold,Jon Watts,
    Patrick Hughes to name a few

Jon Watts sounds interesting but I’m not so sure people would love his take on Bond no way home and Homecoming had some pretty mixed reviews. I personally enjoyed them but hardcore spiderMan fans are not that happy with him.

MCU fans yes, Spidey fans have some big problems with Jon Watts. Anyway it’s funny how many MCU directors we have been suggesting.
    I was not the one who it suggested to begin with, but I am gonna champion it from now on: I would love to see Bong Joon Ho direct a Bond film! I think that would be something truly unique, fast paced, funny and interesting. And it would be an opportunity to shoot in South Korea which I think would be an excellent location for Bond.
  • edited November 2021 Posts: 12,506
    Dennis Villeneuve :-bd
  • MSL49MSL49 Finland
    Danny Boyle.
  • MalloryMallory Do mosquitoes have friends?
    cooperman2 wrote: »
    Never had Edgar Wright pegged as a good fit for Bond. Love Shaun of the Dead and Hot Fuzz but found Baby Driver massively overrated. However, based on recent comments made by Wright it seems he would be in favour of lightening Bond up a bit and God knows I'm all for that. I think we've had enough darkness and introspection for a while.

Having just seen Last Night in Soho, I am convinced Wright could do it. Those who would be uneasy given his usual hyper editing style, this is not the case in LNIS.
    Nolan and Hardy. Package deal for a Bond trilogy.
  • I wonder if Yann Demange is still on Eon's radar. As a reminder, Demange was considered as a potential director for B25; he was apparently at one point a favorite. Based on his first movie, '71, he could be a great choice, even though his second film received mixed reviews.

• MSL49MSL49 Finland
    Eon has long memory.
    I will again champion my list of Directors who developed good thrillers like

Luc Besson

Pierre Morel

Olivier Megaton

Steven Spielberg

Chris Mcquarrie

Jonathan Hensleigh

And of course Martin Campbell

I get one of the above with Hardy and a Fleming title I will be so happy
  • AceHoleAceHole Belgium, via Britain
    Villeneuve has made such a name for himself in his beloved high-sci-fi genre and is quite the auteur director, not sure he'd be interested anymore...

Rian Johnson (smart action is his forte) or Peter Weir (Master and Commander) might be good options
  • DavidWebbDavidWebb Somewhere
    Get Wes Anderson on the next Bond film!! Hahahahaha...
  • MSL49MSL49 Finland
    Renny Harlin.
  • AceHoleAceHole Belgium, via Britain
    MSL49 wrote: »
    Renny Harlin.

:))
    AceHole wrote: »
    MSL49 wrote: »
    Renny Harlin.

:))

You laugh but he nearly directed Goldeneye

Timothy Dalton wanted George Pan Cosmatos for his third Bond movie, Cubby favoured John Landis (!) and Ted Kotcheff.
    Matthew Vaughan would also be a candidate.
    Chloé Zhao might also be a possible candidate, but apparently ETERNALS seems to get rather negative feedback.

Spielberg might have been a candidate back in the 1970's, but not now. Or Marrin McDonagh, IN BRUGES and THREE BILLBOARDS OUTSIDE EBBING, MISSOURI are graet movies, and he is also a great playwright (The Leenane Trilogy, The Arran Island trilogy, Pillowman...)
  • Gareth Evans
  • MSL49MSL49 Finland
    James Cameron.
    Timothy Dalton wanted George Pan Cosmatos for his third Bond movie, Cubby favoured John Landis (!) and Ted Kotcheff.
    Matthew Vaughan would also be a candidate.

I think Vaughan was considered one time (for QOS!)
    I knew about Ted Kotcheff forDaltons 3rd,would have been a good choice!
    Landis would have been an awful choice! Though I like some if his work, he's not a right fit for Bond!
  • SatoriousSatorious Brushing up on a little Danish
    Didn't Landis also have some hand in The Spy Who Loved Me script? I think it's fair to say he was past his peak by the mid-nineties.

I believe they approached Matthew Vaughn earlier than QOS, I remember reading some interview after Layer Cake came out where he confirms the producers spoke to both him and Daniel Craig and he noted 'they were definitely more into Daniel than they were me'.
  • Timothy Dalton wanted George Pan Cosmatos for his third Bond movie, Cubby favoured John Landis (!) and Ted Kotcheff.
    Never knew about Dalton wanting George Cosmatos for B17. He could have been a great director for the two Dalton movies, leading to an aesthetic renewal much needed after the Moore era in order to modernize the series to the audience, in particular US audience. Still, would his style have been enough fresh to bring the series into the 90s?