NO TIME TO DIE (2021) - Critical Reaction and Box Office Performance

Comments

• DwayneDwayne New York City
    @Mallory is on point.

Looking at the numbers on BoxOfficeMojo.com, the decline in receipts from SF to SP was pretty consistent across the board (I looked at the UK, France, Germany, Australia and China in my little quick and dirty analysis over the weekend). The only outlier that really jumped out at me was China – which saw an increase from 59.3M to 83.5M.

What is interesting about the “domestic” figures is that while the opening box office (SF to SP) declined by only 20.4 percent (88.4M to 70.4M), the final numbers were off by about 34.3 percent (304.4M to 200.1M). That would seem to indicate that SP’s “legs” were fairly moderate to weak. In fact (and I have no way to confirm this), there was a joke going around that MGM delayed pulling SP from the theaters until it hit the 200M mark. And then the minute that it did, the film reels were literally ripped out of the projectionist’s hands.

Without sounding like a broken record (see my prior posts), when you remove SF from your thinking, the domestic box office for NTTD doesn’t appear to be that bad. Especially considering COVID-19 restrictions, and a very muted (IMO) buzz surrounding NTTD in the US. Disappointing to us fans – yes – but still in line with CR and QoS.
  • I keep asking my husband....is the VOD up yet? Is it up yet? And he's like, bitch please....lol
    matt_u wrote: »
    NTTD passed $50M today in China. NTTD is planned to pass $60M before 11/14 with a likely final gross closer to $65M.

Very nice. Imagine what could have been achieved in a normal year with a normal marketing campaign.

We're far from the days when $500M for NTTD was unimaginable. Now we're within spitting distance from being the biggest film of the year (so far) and, possibly, ending closer to $800M WW than $700M. Wild. NTTD would have hit one billion in 2019 or a non-COVID 2020.
  • I keep asking my husband....is the VOD up yet? Is it up yet? And he's like, bitch please....lol

It's coming to USA/Canada sooner than I had thought: https://www.mi6-hq.com/news/no-time-to-die-to-hit-vod-next-week-in-the-usa-211106
  • It should hit 700m after next weekend but I'm not thinking it can add another $100m after that....all the major markets are in by that time and with many in decline. Should still pass F9 to gain that crown.
  • matt_umatt_u better known as Mr. Roark
    Burgess wrote: »
    NTTD passed $50M today in China. NTTD is planned to pass $60M before 11/14 with a likely final gross closer to $65M.

Very nice. Imagine what could have been achieved in a normal year with a normal marketing campaign.

We're far from the days when $500M for NTTD was unimaginable. Now we're within spitting distance from being the biggest film of the year (so far) and, possibly, ending closer to $800M WW than $700M. Wild. NTTD would have hit one billion in 2019 or a non-COVID 2020.

Yes, without mentioning that all the recent unpredictable COVID closures in China “robbed” Bond of $15 million, at least. Without the pandemic in China NTTD would’ve easily hit the $100 million mark.
    People are really liking the film. NTTD’s legs are extremely impressive. It would’ve easily bested SP without the pandemic getting scary close to SF’s total imo.
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    So the streaming/VOD/whatever that is happening on Tuesday in U.S., and wherever else - most of those profits go to EON? I think I read that; is that correct? I sure hope so. They deserve it.
  • edited November 2021 Posts: 214
    When does it start on Tuesday? 12am Eastern time?
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    When does it start on Tuesday? 12am Eastern time?

Google says 3 am E.T. but that’s a generic response, so it may not be accurate.
  • edited November 2021 Posts: 309
    It should hit 700m after next weekend but I'm not thinking it can add another $100m after that....all the major markets are in by that time and with many in decline. Should still pass F9 to gain that crown.

It’ll hit or even make over $700M this weekend with the Australian opening.

Another $40M between US/CAN/CHINA
    $30-$50M from Australia
    $10M between Malaysia and the Philippines
    $20M from other markets

$730M-$780M possible.

• NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    I keep asking my husband....is the VOD up yet? Is it up yet? And he's like, bitch please....lol

It's coming to USA/Canada sooner than I had thought: https://www.mi6-hq.com/news/no-time-to-die-to-hit-vod-next-week-in-the-usa-211106

I don't think Canada is getting it. The linked article only mentions Canada at the end, and none of the other content suggests it's coming here at the same time.
  • MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”
    Most streamers typically drop new content at 12am PT. which would be 3am for ET.

I don't think Canada is getting it. The linked article only mentions Canada at the end, and none of the other content suggests it's coming here at the same time.

Well, I'm keeping my eyes peeled for it on Apple TV and Amazon Prime just in case. ;)
    I keep asking my husband....is the VOD up yet? Is it up yet? And he's like, bitch please....lol

Well, I'm keeping my eyes peeled for it on Apple TV and Amazon Prime just in case. ;)

Same here! I've got a VPN as well, but Prime Video checks for more than that to see if you're in the states I think.
  • MinionMinion Don't Hassle the Bond

Same here! I've got a VPN as well, but Prime Video checks for more than that to see if you're in the states I think.

I long for the golden days before companies caught on to geoblocking.
    Minion wrote: »

I long for the golden days before companies caught on to geoblocking.

Yeah… seems like you need to buy it with a U.S. credit card (was going to try to get around that with a gift card), but then you need to watch it from an account with a U.S. mailing address… too complicated at that point to try and fake it.
    FYI, Amazon Prime is offering early access RIGHT NOW.

NqAmlsu.jpg
  • Yep :)
  • brinkeguthriebrinkeguthrie Piz Gloria
    Live on Apple, waiting til tomorrow night. Haven’t seen NTTD yet.
    Live on Amazon Prime in Canada! Pleasant surprise.
  • FeyadorFeyador Montreal, Canada
    Live on Amazon Prime in Canada! Pleasant surprise.

Wait, are you sure?

I don't see it ... not in Quebec, anyway.
    Hmmm… checked on Amazon Prime and Apple TV+ and it’s available for rent now for $24.99 CAD, maybe a later time for Quebec?
  • FeyadorFeyador Montreal, Canada
    edited November 2021 Posts: 735
    Hmmm… checked on Amazon Prime and Apple TV+ and it’s available for rent now for $24.99 CAD, maybe a later time for Quebec?
    Oh, I see it now ... thanks
    edited November 2021 Posts: 4,343
    Burgess wrote: »
    It should hit 700m after next weekend but I'm not thinking it can add another $100m after that....all the major markets are in by that time and with many in decline. Should still pass F9 to gain that crown.

It’ll hit or even make over $700M this weekend with the Australian opening.

Another $40M between US/CAN/CHINA
    $30-$50M from Australia
    $10M between Malaysia and the Philippines
    $20M from other markets

$730M-$780M possible.

The most likely scenario is that NTTD will finish its run at $730 million without Australia.

Unfortunately NTTD just made its way to torrent sites.

What a surprise.

I still don't get it why the put it online in the US after just one months, when the movie is still making money each week at the theatres.
    In 4K UHD...

It looks like that's Universal policy and strategy in the US. It was confirmed like in May or June that they closed a deal to put out on streaming services their films after 17 days if they open less than $50M and 30 days if they open more than $50M. NTTD opended with $55 million so that was scary close...
  • MalloryMallory Do mosquitoes have friends?
    edited November 2021 Posts: 2,056
    NTTD has now topped Avengers: Endgame, now stands at £89.9m after a £2m weekend, in the UK.

https://www.screendaily.com/news/eternals-swoops-to-uk-ireland-box-office-top-spot-as-holdovers-dominate-top-five/5165001.article
    edited November 2021 Posts: 4,343
    Hopefully it will top Avatar next Monday.
  • edited November 2021 Posts: 3,164
    In 4K UHD...

It looks like that's Universal policy and strategy in the US. It was confirmed like in May or June that they closed a deal to put out on streaming services their films after 17 days if they open less than $50M and 30 days if they open more than $50M. NTTD opended with $55 million so that was scary close...

quick reminder that the US PVOD decision is specifically MGM's (which have also been doing early PVOD for their bigger releases this year like Wrath of Man or Respect).

Universal and their PVOD windowing policies have nothing to do with today's US release. They are however responsible for the Canadian release, though they've mostly been following MGM/UAR's lead (which hold the global digital rights to the film anyway).
    Jan1985 wrote: »

What a surprise.

I still don't get it why the put it online in the US after just one months, when the movie is still making money each week at the theatres.

Because they've made something like 80%+ of the money they were going to make from US theaters anyway - that's the whole argument behind this model. Instead of just watching the film slowly make money theatrically - more and more of which is going to the cinemas as the run goes on - MGM/UAR have an opportunity to make extra revenue through early PVOD, most of which goes directly to them. This whole idea with early-release PVOD has been up for discussion for years prior to COVID - the pandemic gave the distributors leverage over cinemas to make that happen.
    Is the Universal logo expected to survive into home media? Watching the US version, you would never know they had any involvement. Quite a contrast to how prominent Sony was with the first four Craig films.