NTTD Main Titles & Gunbarrel - Designed by Daniel Kleinman (SPOILERS)

Comments

• mtmmtm United Kingdom
    QBranch wrote: »
    Like at the end of GE's title sequence.

Exactly: I think I remember Kleinman saying he did that to basically explain to audience members actually what the gunbarrel image represents - it's not terribly clear and lots of people think it's a camera iris etc.
  • The gunbarrel was a mixed bag for me. Thought the design (I just want them to redo the Brosnan one with modern CGI) and Craig’s pose were far weaker than Spectre, but once a member on here pointed out the reason for the lack of blood, I liked that detail. Clever way of doing it.

The titles I wasn’t really impressed by. Some cool bits of imagery (the DNA guns, the crumbling Britannia statue), and I really really didn’t like the DN dots at the start. The OHMSS nods, okay. Not a huge fan but it makes sense in the context of the film and how they built to that subversion. But I didn’t get the point of that DN nod at all.

I like Kleinman’s work, I think I prefer him to Binder on the whole, but I’d like to see someone new completely reinvent the titles next time. Don’t worry about making it overtly “Bondanian”. Just surprise me, do something different with them (live action, shot like a cool music video maybe? I dunno).
    Love the MGM lion. And I really like the gunbarrel a lot. It foreshadows the ending, which I did not fully get till later.

I love the title sequence....but hate the new MGM Lion!
    It looks like a relative of Ed Sheeran! 🦁
  • NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    Made some phone wallpapers, thought I'd share them here:
    245986187_211649687726683_5332194021702468894_n.jpg?_nc_cat=107&ccb=1-5&_nc_sid=0debeb&_nc_ohc=JjM3V_q7u6UAX-KgAuf&_nc_ht=scontent.fyvr3-1.fna&oh=317444fd0fd753441bed0bf886e60b98&oe=618F1029

243100776_211649714393347_6241602098909743483_n.jpg?_nc_cat=101&ccb=1-5&_nc_sid=0debeb&_nc_ohc=Nk5jzh-RntkAX8jmZ7H&tn=vy67SFiw7dodVEnQ&_nc_ht=scontent.fyvr3-1.fna&oh=52408a0c9306a938914bb9ec5e8a117d&oe=618EF4F5

The second one is just flipped to portrait and 16:9, and both have a little colour touch-up as well. Hope you like!
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    I didn't mind the gunbarrel - I accepted that we weren't getting one simple, traditional gunbarrel for the era a couple of installments back - and I thought the title sequence wasn't too shabby (though only seen it the once). I liked it better at first glance than I did the title sequences for SF and SP but I really think this aspect of the films needs some new blood, something fresh for the next era. I think I've seen enough of Kleinman's work at this point.

Oddly enough, my favorite title sequence of the era wasn't even Kleinman's, though his most original take for me throughout Craig's films was CR. The last three have just felt way too similar to me.
    Yeah, I can see the TS for NTTD coming across as a less-good Skyfall TS. But there were moments of this one that I really loved (just not as a whole I guess).
  • MinionMinion Don't Hassle the Bond
    edited October 2021 Posts: 1,165
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    I didn't mind the gunbarrel - I accepted that we weren't getting one simple, traditional gunbarrel for the era a couple of installments back - and I thought the title sequence wasn't too shabby (though only seen it the once). I liked it better at first glance than I did the title sequences for SF and SP but I really think this aspect of the films needs some new blood, something fresh for the next era. I think I've seen enough of Kleinman's work at this point.

Oddly enough, my favorite title sequence of the era wasn't even Kleinman's, though his most original take for me throughout Craig's films was CR. The last three have just felt way too similar to me.
    MK12's title sequence for QoS is incredibly underrated.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Minion wrote: »

M2's title sequence for QoS is incredibly underrated.

I found it a little obvious and average to be honest; I find Kleinman's ideas way more original.
    QoS is also the only one of Craig's to feature dancing nudey girls, and we probably have moved beyond that now.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator

It absolutely is.
  • edited October 2021 Posts: 1,314
    Designer here… Mk12 did some awesome motion graphics around 2005 era. I was initially disappointed with their qos one.

I loved the new gun barrel and the way it reflects what’s down it. And the zoom in is good too. Also thought kleinmans sequence was great though probably his most overtly Maurice binder inspired one. I prefer the flat design colours rather than the more modern looking cgi 3d safin masks part. Very thunderball/OHMSS
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    I guess the colours hark back to his GoldenEye titles with their (was it?) Dr Strange-inspired vivid looks.
  • edited October 2021 Posts: 669
    Even though I absolutely love Kleinman, until recently my favorite title sequence of the DC era was QoS. I also found it incredibly underrated, and all the motion and movement with the sand was (IMO) super cool. However, I must say that I LOVED the opening titles of NTTD. For a movie that channels both DN and OHMSS, I thought it was great how he channeled both of those in his sequence. I loved the colors, the DNA guns, the Britannia statues, everything. I can't wait to watch it again.

As of this moment, after admittedly only seeing NTTD once, my ranking of the DC era title sequences is:

NTTD
    QoS
    CR
    SF
    SP
    I'm not usually huge on fan-made gunbarrels, but this person's work is really great I think:

Sorry if it's been posted before.

It absolutely is.

My favourite from the Craig era.
    I'm not usually huge on fan-made gunbarrels, but this person's work is really great I think:

Sorry if it's been posted before.

Love it.
  • edited October 2021 Posts: 6,682
    I liked the gunbarrel of this film. Craig performs it well, and his facial expression also appears to be fairly intense, even a little menacing, which I like (I'll study it more closely when the film is released in home video). I also like how the camera travels through the gunbarrel to get to that opening shot (great choice to have the camera pointing downwards).

What did you think of the gunbarrel music? It's mostly the same as Spectre's, but I think they improved it by adding the guitar. That said, I do hope they go for something a little different and fresher next time.

Edit: Also, do we know for sure that that the gunshot is heard before Bond fires his gun, as it's been said?
  • MalloryMallory Do mosquitoes have friends?
    I love the almost kaleidoscopic transition at the very end of the titles into the London skyscraper skyline. Its a great piece of design. And the “dna gunshots” is also very cool. The rest is a bit meh though.
    Best credits since CR. I love the colors, no more dark and broody stuff. Great visuals, especially in the context of the film.

Agreed, a really pleasant surprise after the oppressive darkness of SF and SP. I don’t mind QoS’s title sequence, which puts it in the middle of the pack, so NTTD is an easy 2nd place after CR.
  • This is probably my second favourite title sequence of the era after CR. I loved the Britannia imagery, the pistol helix, statue of Bond, and the bit near the end with the giant rising sun and scuba diving silhouettes. That being said, some of the underwater stuff early on in the sequence felt a little too derivative of Skyfall for me.
  • M_BaljeM_Balje Amsterdam, Netherlands
    Watched it yesterday. MGM logo was the new version.
    There two reasens i whant Universal and one of them was Universal logo will change in the dots. It did and i like logo was in black & white. Ice thing works for me too, as well choose there make jump to Italy.

Full with a lot of adreline of action just ride in to the maintitles.
    Longer then the Spectre one, looks very much on SF. A lot to see and for now a bit mixed about choose that there make to show past chacters again. This also count for blood/dna moment, blame this lack of story, atleast it is better then missing card in Skyfall. Dr No trow back when it starts great.
    Strange not to have the blood on the gun barrel, but got it because of how the movie starts. The titles are always so much fun!
  • Jordo007Jordo007 Merseyside
    It's weird that Daniel never really nailed a traditional gunbarrell sequence to me, minor nitpicking I guess. The lack of blood makes sense for the story but it was missed

I wasn't a fan of the title sequence if I'm honest, the dark green colour felt very out of place to me for some reason. The sequence felt a bit cheap and smaller in scope than previous ones. It was as if someone was trying to replicate a title sequence instead of actually making one if that makes sense

I did like the hourglass imagery (after seeing it on first viewing I was nervous of Bond's fate), the Britannia statue felt like a good choice too. The sight of the DB5 sinking beneath the clocks of time and then it's lights dimming broke my heart (daft as that sounds 😅)
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    It's funny: I was only recently saying that it's kind of weird that no title sequence has featured a car properly considering how big a part of the Bond thing they are - I thought it was odd how Binder appeared to have the Aston Martin from Living Daylights in his studio to shoot the titles for that one ('the headlights fade away') and yet didn't put a bare lady on the bonnet or something as you'd imagine he would do. And then this one comes along and there's the DB5!
    I thought that was rather fun actually: showing Bond dumping the car after it got ruined in this one. I like it when the titles have a bit of the narrative, filling in the story between the PTS and the first scene proper. Like DAD or CR or bits of SF.
  • Jordo007Jordo007 Merseyside
    It was a really good idea, I heartbroken when I saw it because it was symbolic of the character and the series. Like you say mate it filled in narrative points too
    It's funny because I think he nailed the gunbarrel, at the end of the film when he shoot that offscreen guy with the pose. That moment in fact is one of the highlights of the climax. It's just mind blowingly awesome.
  • matt_umatt_u better known as Mr. Roark
    Pretty solid gun barrel.

MAYqd2d.jpeg
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    matt_u wrote: »
    Pretty solid gun barrel.

MAYqd2d.jpeg
    Agreed, I really love this design.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    I wasn't sure on it during the first viewing but I've come round to it, subsequently. It's good.
    It is great. Love the reflection but I do miss the classic patterns.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited November 2021 Posts: 14,861
    I don't miss the classic photo, really- this one does everything it has to. Look at that nice chromatic aberration at the edges too :)
    Pretty perfect pose too.