NO TIME TO DIE - Questions Thread

Comments

• NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    I think the idea was her clip was empty, but they certainly could have communicated a bit better there.
    Would it have been cool or lame if Madeline shot at him, nothing happened, and Safin said “you’ve had your six”?
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Magnussen already had a couple of scenes with Jeffrey Wright in Game Night, a surprisingly good action comedy from 2018. Magnussen played some kind of a dimwit, one of the main characters (he had an extremely good scene where he tries to bribe somebody by passing banknotes), while Jeffrey Wright basically has an extended (and uncredited) cameo at the beginning.

I loved that movie, I always forget Wright is in that. I thought Magnussen was hilarious in it. He's also pretty sinister yet funny in The Oath.
  • JazzyBond wrote: »
    I saw NTTD for the second time today and loved it even more!! I went in with looking for things that I missed. The toothbrush, the strand of hair in Madeleine’s office, Walter and Grommit, the Blofeld’s eye and I was happily relieved to catch them all and was really impressed how the possible plot holes that I thought I saw on the first viewing were eliminated on this second viewing. One new minor misstep that came up on the second viewing though was in Norway when Safin showed up in the woods for Madeleine and Mathilde, why didn’t Madeleine just shoot him lol? She had just shot two of his henchmen! Besides that very minor quip this movie really just flows! It never bogs down and even if it does a little it’s to explain the plot and develop the characters even more. I also really like how the action doesn’t over take the film it enhances it. A lot of Bond movies is a little plot to build up the next big, obvious action sequence. The action in NTTD is just a part of the film and flows with it instead of overtake and overshadow the plot. All in all this second viewing just solidifies that. NTTD will be a top 5 Bond movie for me indefinitely!

I wondered the same and looked for it in a repeat viewing. Her clip is empty. You can hear the slide.
  • edited October 2021 Posts: 68
    Then if the clip was indeed empty then that clears that minor quip up for me! Thank you!! So this movie really was a stickler for the details and really is on the verge of being quite perfect, if you pay attention and listen!
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    Felix and Bond; I thought it went:

Bond: ... You're from Milwaukee
    Felix: Am I? I thought I made that up ...
  • FeyadorFeyador Montreal, Canada
    Felix and Bond; I thought it went:

Bond: ... You're from Milwaukee
    Felix: Am I? I thought I made that up ...

I think you're right ...
  • HerrBondHerrBond Berlin
    Minion wrote: »
    The red vial was coded with a strand of Madeleine's hair. Anyone Bond or Safin would come into contact with after that point would spread nanobots from person to person which would kill Madeleine and/or Madilde.

I've heard this many times now but I didnt't notice it in the movie.

where does it say that the nanobots would spread from person to person even if it's not the target's dna? did I miss something?

in the scene with Madeleine and Bond the virus for Blofeld was "fresh" on her hands, wasn't it? that's why they focused on Bond's touch of her wrist.

• 00Heaven00Heaven Home
    HerrBond wrote: »
    The red vial was coded with a strand of Madeleine's hair. Anyone Bond or Safin would come into contact with after that point would spread nanobots from person to person which would kill Madeleine and/or Madilde.

where does it say that the nanobots would spread from person to person even if it's not the target's dna? did I miss something?

in the scene with Madeleine and Bond the virus for Blofeld was "fresh" on her hands, wasn't it? that's why they focused on Bond's touch of her wrist.

You've answered your own question. That's exactly the how and the why (movie magic and logistics aside) it would pass from person to person because it did so from Madeleine to Bond for Blofeld. There's then some exposition after that with Q that goes into more depth.
  • matt_umatt_u better known as Mr. Roark
    edited October 2021 Posts: 4,343
    Nanobots pass from body to body throught skin contact. They explain how it works during the meeting in M's office with Q. That's how Bond gets the nanobots targeted to kill Blofeld: he touches Madeleine. Q even makes a point that if Bond would've been related to Blofeld he would've died.
  • HerrBondHerrBond Berlin
    matt_u wrote: »
    Nanobots pass from body to body throught skin contact. They explain how it works during the meeting in M's office with Q. That's how Bond gets the nanobots targeted to kill Blofeld: he touches Madeleine. Q even makes a point that if Bond would've been related to Blofeld he would've died.

but these are two different things here - yes, Waldo optimized the virus for targeting also relatives, that's clear (that's also the reason why all the relatives die at the funeral).
    00Heaven wrote: »

You've answered your own question. That's exactly the how and the why (movie magic and logistics aside) it would pass from person to person because it did so from Madeleine to Bond for Blofeld. There's then some exposition after that with Q that goes into more depth.

That's exactly my question. I am not sure if Madeleine could have infected Bond with Blofelds nanobots e.g. 2 months later. That's how I interpeted the scene with Bond touching her wrist. She still has the "virus" on her hands, that's why she's infectious for Bond.

Again, nanobots pass from body to body throught skin contact. You touch someone's else skin and the nanobots in his body enter your body too.

Is that really so complicated?
  • 00Heaven00Heaven Home

but these are two different things here - yes, Waldo optimized the virus for targeting also relatives, that's clear (that's also the reason why all the relatives die at the funeral).

That's exactly my question. I am not sure if Madeleine could have infected Bond with Blofelds nanobots e.g. 2 months later. That's how I interpeted the scene with Bond touching her wrist. She still has the "virus" on her hands, that's why she's infectious for Bond.

I think I get what you mean here... Are you asking if the nanobots would expire after a certain time?

Q explains that they're eternal and "they're not just for Christmas." The idea being that both Madeleine and Bond are both permanently infected with the nanobots that target Blofeld's DNA since they have them in their blood. They don't expire. Once they're in you, they're there and would pass from person to person.

The implication of that means the whole human race at some point get the Blofeld nanobots. That means if Blofeld had any other relatives that we don't know about then at some point someone would inadvertently kill them.

There's a lot of holes. Try not to worry your head on them too much :).
    I don't see any hole...
  • 00Heaven00Heaven Home
    I don't see any hole...

I do - perhaps not in the immediate movie though you could extend it there certainly. But more in the sense of implications for the future of the human race depending on how "accurate" those nanobots are. That bit wasn't too well thought out.

Again, with all stories... Suspension of disbelief.
    edited October 2021 Posts: 7,526
    I agree with @matt_u here. For all intents and purposes, the nanobots don't expire; Q tells Bond as much at the end of the film with one word... "eternal". The nanobots travel freely from person to person at the "slightest touch" (from the film as well I believe), and live there forever and do nothing... until they find the person with the coded DNA, and kill that person.

If Bond were to survive NTTD and live in exile, he might get sick, a doctor touches him, flies to Norway, touches a flight attendant, who touches a tourist, who touches a hotel employee, who touches a restaurant employee, who serves Madeleine at their restaurant, etc etc etc.

Once Madeleine sprayed herself with the perfume, the "Oberhauser/Blofeld-DNA-coded-nanobots" were with her for life.
    In the end it all depends how the nanobots are targeted. For example, M's Heracles program had nanobots completely harmless for everyone except the specific target.

EDIT: Exactly @NickTwentyTwo
  • 00Heaven00Heaven Home
    edited October 2021 Posts: 574
    *Sigh*

Yes, I know they're eternal. I literally said that to answer @HerrBond 's question. My pointing out that I saw holes was in reference to the whole plot of the nanobots as a device. That was literally because of the science of it e.g. the way DNA works and what they were positing and that's why you (or perhaps I in this case) have to suspend disbelief.
    edited October 2021 Posts: 7,526
    *Sigh*

Yes, I know they're eternal. I literally said that to answer @HerrBond 's question. My pointing out that I saw holes was in reference to the whole plot of the nanobots as a device. That was literally because of the science of it e.g. the way DNA works and what they were positing and that's why you (or perhaps I in this case) have to suspend disbelief.

Maybe I don't know enough about science to be bothered by this. :)) Ignorance is bliss!

The internal logic of the film was perfectly adequate, I thought.
  • 00Heaven00Heaven Home
    *Sigh*

Maybe I don't know enough about science to be bothered by this. :)) Ignorance is bliss!

The internal logic of the film was perfectly adequate, I thought.

I think that's what I'm getting at :). Thank you :D.
    Is it possible Bond caught on to these future implications of the nanobots, which is why he felt so compelled to blow the island up even though he was still on it? "There will be nothing left to save" and all that?
  • 00Heaven00Heaven Home
    edited October 2021 Posts: 574
    Is it possible Bond caught on to these future implications of the nanobots, which is why he felt so compelled to blow the island up even though he was still on it? "There will be nothing left to save" and all that?

No. I don't think so. Not with how it was presented in the film. In other words, take it at face value. IIRC at where that happens in the film his concern was the boats closing in and getting away with Heracles. I think he genuinely believed he might get out before the missiles reached him (until it all goes south for him, obviously)

My thought over Heracles was more along the lines of that we all share common DNA with each other... Something ridiculous like 99.9% with the remaining 0.01% defining us as unique (which is still an unfathomable amount of possibilities of course)...

But if they are programming nanobots to attach to DNA of people who are designated, specific targets, then why is it also latching onto their families and killing them too? It's a have your cake and eat it too scenario as they are shown sequencing the entire strand of one person's DNA (Valdo with Bond's toothbrush, etc). But you then have scenes that show close relatives dropping like flies at funerals where they will definitely share common traits with the designated target but would still have enough unique traits to be different... E.g. Mathilde is both Bond and Madeleine's child. On the surface level we're told that Mathilde has Bond's eyes, not Madeleine's... so if that vial is coded based on Madeleine alone... What about her father's genes that Mathilde also inherited? Surely that means she is no longer threatened by the nanobots because it would include enough diversity in her gene pool via Bond.

Which then poses the question... Does this mean that there's a "fault" in how accurate Heracles is and does that then mean there would be implications for the future. Is Heracles 99.999% accurate or is it 100% accurate? I feel like it wasn't intended to kill family members yet it did.

Also lets not go into genetic mutations (blue eyes being one of them) and other mutations that can occur over the years. I'm guessing on the collection date of that DNA they may no longer be viable?

Someone far, far, far smarter than me and may layman's term brain may be able to explain it or alternatively I missed where they explain that in greater detail in the movie. I hope this explains the gist of what I'm thinking well enough though :).
  • MinionMinion Don't Hassle the Bond
    I believe the implication was Valdo modified the nanobots to expand beyond just one specific target… but admittedly it’s a plot point they don’t dwell on for longer than they have to.
  • 00Heaven00Heaven Home
    Maybe! But then I think that makes everything even worse :). What's he operating off, an educated guess? A needle and a haystack comes to mind.
  • FeyadorFeyador Montreal, Canada
    edited October 2021 Posts: 735
    I believe the implication was Valdo modified the nanobots to expand beyond just one specific target… but admittedly it’s a plot point they don’t dwell on for longer than they have to.
    Yes, there's Valdo's ill-advised comment to Nomi. What was it, something about wiping out the entire West African diaspora? So certainly the implications of Heracles go far beyond targeting individuals (and even their families). Hence Bond's apocalyptic comment, "If we don't do this ...." which explains the urgency of calling in the airstrike and, indeed, why his life was of much less importance than doing so.

I get why Safin would be motivated by revenge against SPECTRE, but beyond that in relation to Heracles I'm not so sure ... since it could so easily get out of hand. Is there some Nazi-like racist ideology behind it all. Or something even more apocalyptic from which Safin would be protected on his island base? And just who is on those boats racing to the island to pick up the consignment of Heracles. Are they representatives of Safin? Perhaps a third-party country?

And how did Safin become so powerful anyway?
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom

Well, he and Nomi saw their plans for targeting entire countries' worth of people: "he'll kill millions" she says (just like Stacey Sutton! :) ).
    So yeah, I think he was well aware that millions of people would die, and once the cork was out of the bottle and this tech was on the black market that there's no way of putting it back in again, and it would quite possibly lead to the end of the human race. So the urgency is there and he's well aware of it.
  • edited October 2021 Posts: 68
    Also, remember Moneypenny said earlier that there has been multiple breaches at DNA facilities recently across the globe (or something like that). My take on the nanobots is this, they are what their name implies a microscopic robot that has someone’s DNA assigned to it. Each one carries a virus or poison (it’s payload) that will be dispersed to the intended target. If you think too much into it, it will give your brain a cramp, but my slight problem with it is how effective will the virus be after it has been passed around person to person multiple times until it reaches its destination?
    Safin doesn’t really care about the world. He sells the weapon, he doesn’t have a specific target after achieving his revenge. He just wants to live in his own private island with Swann while humanity falls into oblivion.
    Just like God gives life but then it’s up to the individuals to decide what to do with it, Safin gives the tool to reshape or even destroy the world but it’s up to others to decide how.

That’s fascinating and quite scary.
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    I understood all the main points about the nanobots and poison, and I think it was simply important for Bond to have more than the usual challenges to overcome.
    We expect him to overcome being shot or even, perhaps, missiles landing. Because of the whole history of Bond films prior to NTTD. So in this film we have him fatally shot, bleeding out, and he will NOT get help in time for that. They definitely go the extra step with those shots.

In addition, there is the poison which they took pains to explain was not only eternal but people are not safe if their DNA is related at all because instead passes through everybody else safely, continually passed on. Therefore Bond could not risk touching anybody, even doctors who worked on him (I know some fans still believe medical help could get to him on time, but I don't) ... because then it could be passed on and on through thousands of people safely - and then finally one of those carriers touches Madeleine or Mathilde innocently and they die. He literally could not leave the island and keep Madeleine or his daughter safe.

Bond ends with a truly noble, heroic ending that is fitting for this particular Bond. That matters to me. It is not an ending that would work with any other prior Bond, and there is no need for it to happen again. They chose the right actor's story arc to tell this one. And it is well done (overall, I am relieved at how very well executed this story is). And I love the very final scene; beautiful and appropriate.
    The point is that Bond doesn’t even try to escape. That’s the thing. It’s not important if he would’ve been able to survive after Safin shot him, even if we saw him survive even more incredible situations, like the PTS in SF. The point is that after he gets poisoned, surviving and leaving the island is not even an option for him. Death has always been his curse.
  • HildebrandRarityHildebrandRarity Centre international d'assistance aux personnes déplacées, Paris, France
    Feyador wrote: »
    And how did Safin become so powerful anyway?

He set up a bold coup against SPECTRE, killing all the high-ranking executives, and causing all the low-ranking members (like Primo) to rally to his authority. He recovered the facility his family was in charge of before Blofeld and White had them all killed, and he's applying Valdo's invention to the plant-based poisons developed in the facility.