Bond 26 Title

Comments

Also keep in mind that lots of Fleming's novel titles don't sound like those of spy novels either. At the time I imagine lots of people were puzzled by titles like Goldfinger or Thunderball or Moonraker.
    Revelator wrote: »
    Also keep in mind that lots of Fleming's novel titles don't sound like those of spy novels either. At the time I imagine lots of people were puzzled by titles like Goldfinger or Thunderball or Moonraker.

Don't even get grandpa started on what went through his mind when he saw the word "Octopussy" on the shelves of his local bookstore! :)) :)) :))
  • JamesCraigJamesCraig Ancient Rome
    No Time To Kill For Your Eyes
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    bondsum wrote: »
    THE KISS OF DEATH as opposed to the kiss of life and Bond's cinematic resuscitation. Of course, it could also be seen as a prophetic indication of what to expect from Bond 26.

That's nice, and of course harks back to Goldfinger's lyrics.
    mtm wrote: »
    bondsum wrote: »
    THE KISS OF DEATH as opposed to the kiss of life and Bond's cinematic resuscitation. Of course, it could also be seen as a prophetic indication of what to expect from Bond 26.

That's nice, and of course harks back to Goldfinger's lyrics.

Such a coldfinger.
  • SeveSeve The island of Lemoy
    Something without "Die" in the title

One of Fleming's best tricks was to twist a proverb, which many other authors have also tried, but it is a knack I don't seem to share (so far)

However someone else might be able to adapt one in such a way that it still has meaning in a James Bond context, but isn't too corny?

A Gun In The Hand
    The Heart Grows Colder
    Louder Than Words
    A Spy Has 9 Lives
    All That Glitters Is Not...
    ... Change It's Spots
    All's Fair In Love And Espionage
    The One Eyed Man
    An Ounce Of Prevention
    The Eye Of The Beholder
    Curiosity Killed The Spy
    The Better Part Of Valour
    ... Breeds Contempt
    Every Spy Has His Death
    Fortune Favours The Brave
  • SirHilaryBrayOBESirHilaryBrayOBE Chez Hilly, Portsmouth
    Never Die Tomorrow or Yesterday
    On Her Majesty's Pension List
    The Bond Awakens
    The Last Double O
    The Rise of Bond
    The Wrath of Bond
    The Search for Bond
    The Bond Home
    The Undiscovered Bond

The Revenge of Broccoli.
  • SeveSeve The island of Lemoy
    "Dr No"

Kingsley Amis' "Colonel Sun" is still unused

How about "Professor Plum"?
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Seve wrote: »
    Something without "Die" in the title

One of Fleming's best tricks was to twist a proverb, which many other authors have also tried, but it is a knack I don't seem to share (so far)

However someone else might be able to adapt one in such a way that it still has meaning in a James Bond context, but isn't too corny?

A Gun In The Hand
    The Heart Grows Colder
    Louder Than Words
    A Spy Has 9 Lives
    All That Glitters Is Not...
    ... Change It's Spots
    All's Fair In Love And Espionage
    The One Eyed Man
    An Ounce Of Prevention
    The Eye Of The Beholder
    Curiosity Killed The Spy
    The Better Part Of Valour
    ... Breeds Contempt
    Every Spy Has His Death
    Fortune Favours The Brave

Yeah I really like a lot of those, much better than most attempts, I think. 'Fortune Favours The Brave' is one I've thought about before too. I like 'The Heart Grows Colder' a lot too.
    'Heart' seems a Bond-ish word that hasn't been used much before: I think 'CROSS YOUR HEART' works in terms of being half of one of those proverbs, without saying the 'die' bit :) ... or even just something like BLEEDING HEART feels fairly Bond to me.
    And Hades Followed Him

It’s biblical sure but there is something Bondian about it when we talk about non Fleming titles
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    VALIANT TO VILE
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    Now would seem like the perfect time to put across my suggestion from 1998:

ONCE AND FOR ALL (Where the villain plans to "kill James Bond once and for all")

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/40669862363_a0391d8cbd_o.jpg
    Whoops, too late!
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    QBranch wrote: »
    Now would seem like the perfect time to put across my suggestion from 1998:

ONCE AND FOR ALL (Where the villain plans to "kill James Bond once and for all")

I remember that; I really like that one.

Reminds me of another which someone else came up with; was it Gobi-1? They did a lovely poster using it:

DOUBLE OR NOTHING

It just sort of works I think.

Some others on a kind of deadly game theme:

MAY THE BEST MAN LIVE

SURVIVOR TAKES ALL

TRUTH, DARE OR DIE

Maybe a bit naff in places, but that's the fun isn't it? :)

• QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    I like that last one. I like the titles with 'Die' in them. Many here hate them for some reason.
    QBranch wrote: »
    I like that last one. I like the titles with 'Die' in them. Many here hate them for some reason.

I didn’t mind the two Brosnan ones but Craig’s annoys me as I have been banging the drum since 2018 for The Garden of Death and we got that plot point but not that title it was like Craig kicked me in the sack
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    I'm not sure about 'garden' but perhaps there's something in flowers, flower names etc?
    I never actually hated Gardner's 'Never Send Flowers' as a title.
  • HildebrandRarityHildebrandRarity Centre international d'assistance aux personnes déplacées, Paris, France
    edited October 2021 Posts: 467
    The Q Branch Informercial, hosted by James Bond

An hour long special in which James Bond is forced to pimp standard stuff like alarm systems, smartphones, knives, gold-plated watches or strollers all glorified with a "Universal Exports – Q Branch" logo. Most of the time, Bond is teamed with Q, who plays the expert and answers his questions. M, who needs the funds for MI6, does the voice-overs explaining the audience how to order, and Moneypenny is the smiling hostess who doesn't say a word. Some of the iconic dialog from the films is also clumsily reenacted with lame puns ('Do you expect me to die?' 'No, James Bond, I expect you to order this Q Branch tactical jacket at 555-438-9234'). And during pre-taped segments, muzak arrangements on synth of John Barry's classical themes play in the background.

Bond's discomfort grows over the course of the program, with clear signs of PTSD, and he asks repeatedly if Q Branch alarm systems will prevent some Silvas from invading your childhood place and killing your boss or if the Q Branch security camera is effective against Blofelds who try to kidnap your partner. Eventually, when he has to sell a "Universal Exports by Q Branch" cocktail set of glasses and shakers, he turns into a weeping mess by mentioning it can serve Vesper Martinis.
    mtm wrote: »
    I'm not sure about 'garden' but perhaps there's something in flowers, flower names etc?
    I never actually hated Gardner's 'Never Send Flowers' as a title.

The Flower Who Poisoned Me
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    I did quite like the title Peter Morgan had for his own script for Bond 23, which went on to become Skyfall, and that was Once Upon A Spy.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    I was never entirely sure about that because I'm not sure what it means- how can it be upon a person? :)
    And it's not even a pun!
  • Denbigh wrote: »
    I did quite like the title Peter Morgan had for his own script for Bond 23, which went on to become Skyfall, and that was Once Upon A Spy.
    Definitely! It's quite beautiful, very poetic, very Flemingesque!

In addition to the title that, I think, could very well be suitable for a new actor's first movie, Morgan's concepts could also be very well used down to line. Probably not for a first movie, but definitively for a second, third ou fourth installment. Not the death of M of course, but the general idea of seeing her (or him) threatened by the son of a former lover could still be very different from Skyfall. Supposing M stays a man, he could have had in the past an affair with the wife of a foreign diplomat or head of an intelligence service, whose son aspires to use this compromising information to gain access to something (secret data, experimental weapon or whatsoever).
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    Hell is Here
    Always loved Once Upon a Spy,
    now more than ever
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited October 2021 Posts: 14,861
    Denbigh wrote: »
    Definitely! It's quite beautiful, very poetic, very Flemingesque!

In addition to the title that, I think, could very well be suitable for a new actor's first movie, Morgan's concepts could also be very well used down to line. Probably not for a first movie, but definitively for a second, third ou fourth installment. Not the death of M of course, but the general idea of seeing her (or him) threatened by the son of a former lover could still be very different from Skyfall. Supposing M stays a man, he could have had in the past an affair with the wife of a foreign diplomat or head of an intelligence service, whose son aspires to use this compromising information to gain access to something (secret data, experimental weapon or whatsoever).

Yes I liked the sound of that treatment, it sounded like there were some fun ideas in it. And of course M having a personal issue could even link in slightly to the Moonraker novel situation, where M also comes to Bond for a favour.

All of the hacking stuff was added much later of course, so maybe they could come back to some of those ideas at some point and it not to feel like Skyfall.
    echo wrote: »
    Hell is Here

Yeah it would be bolder than most Bond titles but I could see it working in its starkness.

I quite like A HOPE IN HELL for a while.
    It depends if it’s Fleming inspired it should be a Fleming title if it’s generic spy stuff then ok

I really love the idea of a terrorist organization using various antiquities selling them on the black market ala Live and Let die to be a plot of bond 26

For that you could in theory use The Undertakers wind making that the e name of a rare Rembrandt or something of that nature
  • M16_CartM16_Cart Craig fanboy?
    Mallory wrote: »
    The Heracles Experiment could’ve worked instead of NTTD

Too many syllables, and the average layfolk may not know how to pronounce Heracles.

I'm sure MGM has figured out that titles that are catchy and easy to market to the average person sell. Granted, No Time to Die is super generic.

edited October 2021 Posts: 538
    Risico007 wrote: »
    Risico
    The Hildebrand Rarity
    The Property of a Lady

Risico is viable.

Property of a Lady and Hildebrand Rarity are good for literature, but they're not what you'd name a big-screen action movie.
    Skyfall is the most perfect name imaginable. It's short, simple, catchy, yet unique. It's exactly what the movie is about.

It's only 7 letters yet it's a word that almost nobody has used before. It's the perfect kind of hashtag for social media and algorithms. It's a word you can google and have only Bond-related content show up.

I think the next Bond film should find a title like this.
  • MinionMinion Don't Hassle the Bond
    Playing with one @Seve recommended:

Fortune Favours the Grave
  • M16_Cart wrote: »
    It's only 7 letters yet it's a word that almost nobody has used before. It's the perfect kind of hashtag for social media and algorithms. It's a word you can google and have only Bond-related content show up.

I think the next Bond film should find a title like this.
    While I don't think B26 should go in this direction, there is plenty of possibilities if such road was followed. The first idea that comes to my mind is CHECKMATE.