NO TIME TO DIE - Questions Thread

Comments

• MinionMinion Don't Hassle the Bond
    You can even see Blofeld has two eyes when we briefly see CCTV footage of him in his cell babbling. As @Librarian said, they located and removed it by the time Bond interrogates him.
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    I agree with the explanations. As for the vial, I saw Safin deliberately scratch Bond's face with it.
  • ImpertinentGoonImpertinentGoon Everybody needs a hobby.
    I think sadly, the Safin - Madeleine relationship is one of those things that didn't really pierce the surface level. He says in her office that they are bound be him saving her life or something like that. So there is something there. It's just not very clear. That is also muddled by the tea scene. I think most people are in agreement that it is the plant he earlier showed Mathilde, that supposedly makes you obedient, but while watching it I thought it was the plant from her office and he wanted to kill her. And of course she talks about it blinding people, but that seems just to be her ploy to freak Primo out. So, I had all kinds of mixed signals about Safin's feelings towards and plans for Madeleine.

And @mtm , you are right. If he actually loved her, he would built a weapon specifically to kill her and her child. But then again, he is a bit of a psycho, so normal standards don't really apply.
    Librarian wrote: »
    Maybe it's a silly question but what are the rules of this coin game played by James Bond and Felix in Jamaica?

The game is called Spoof (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spoof_(game)?wprov=sfla1) and basically the aim is to guess how many coins there are in total, while only knowing how many you yourself are holding. Both can take up to three and then the first player says a number and the other player has to say a different number. Then you open the hands and see how many there are in total. You win by guessing correctly, although normally it is played in larger groups and guessing correctly means you can stop playing; last one left has to buy a round.
    Supposedly it's the favourite game of Daniel Craig's father, who used to own two pubs.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited October 2021 Posts: 14,951
    Feyador wrote: »
    I read it as him doing a bit about how both of them are cursed to never be able to touch the one they love again (don't think he says everyone, but due to the virus multiplying through asymptomatic carriers until it finds Madeleine, that is in fact the case, if they want to save her) and they are stuck on this island forever fighting each other whithout being able to ever actually gaining the thing they are fighting over. Basically, he perceives himself to be in some kind of grand Greek or Shakespearean tragedy. Only he doesn't realise his opponent isn't into tragedies and just shoots him in the head.
    Safin says, quite literally, just before his death:

"Now we are both poisoned with heartbreak. Two heroes in a tragedy of our own making. Anyone we touch, we are their curse."

Thematically, it's consistent with the presentation of Silva & Waltz-Blofeld in the previous films as the distorted reflection of Craig-Bond himself - at least I think that's what they were going for ...

So he does say 'anyone'? I thought he did- that's just doubly confusing!! So who does the red virus kill?!
    Minion wrote: »
    You can even see Blofeld has two eyes when we briefly see CCTV footage of him in his cell babbling. As @Librarian said, they located and removed it by the time Bond interrogates him.

Is it actually mentioned? I know we can piece it together but I don't remember them actually saying 'we found a bionic eye in Blofeld's head'.
    I think sadly, the Safin - Madeleine relationship is one of those things that didn't really pierce the surface level. He says in her office that they are bound be him saving her life or something like that. So there is something there. It's just not very clear. That is also muddled by the tea scene. I think most people are in agreement that it is the plant he earlier showed Mathilde, that supposedly makes you obedient, but while watching it I thought it was the plant from her office and he wanted to kill her. And of course she talks about it blinding people, but that seems just to be her ploy to freak Primo out. So, I had all kinds of mixed signals about Safin's feelings towards and plans for Madeleine.

Oh gosh, I thought it was just some plant, I didn't even think it had been established earlier. I did wonder how hot that tea could possibly though: the way he acts when it's thrown in his face (from a not-very big teacup) reminded me of the fights you get in Naked Gun when someone screams when some feathers are thrown in their face or something :D
    And @mtm , you are right. If he actually loved her, he would built a weapon specifically to kill her and her child. But then again, he is a bit of a psycho, so normal standards don't really apply.

Yeah, that is a bit of a cop-out though because clearly he doesn't even mean what he says in that moment. Also it sounds like it doesn't even make sense anyway! :)
    mtm wrote: »
    I read it as him doing a bit about how both of them are cursed to never be able to touch the one they love again (don't think he says everyone, but due to the virus multiplying through asymptomatic carriers until it finds Madeleine, that is in fact the case, if they want to save her) and they are stuck on this island forever fighting each other whithout being able to ever actually gaining the thing they are fighting over. Basically, he perceives himself to be in some kind of grand Greek or Shakespearean tragedy. Only he doesn't realise his opponent isn't into tragedies and just shoots him in the head.

"Now we are both poisoned with heartbreak. Two heroes in a tragedy of our own making. Anyone we touch, we are their curse."

Thematically, it's consistent with the presentation of Silva & Waltz-Blofeld in the previous films as the distorted reflection of Craig-Bond himself - at least I think that's what they were going for ...

So he does say 'anyone'? I thought he did- that's just doubly confusing!! So who does the red virus kill?!

Maybe it's because of the asymptotic carrier thing?
    Anyone (meaning actually anyone) we touch, we are their (Madeleine and Mathilde's!) curse.
    It's not great writing.

Also, I've said it before, but I would have preferred it if Bond was infected with a strand of the virus that kills absolutely anyone he touches. He is finally the ultimate weapon, but of course he cannot go on like that, so he chooses death.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Also, I've said it before, but I would have preferred it if Bond was infected with a strand of the virus that kills absolutely anyone he touches. He is finally the ultimate weapon, but of course he cannot go on like that, so he chooses death.

Yeah it just makes it clearer. I like the poetry that he would kill only the Swanns because it reinforces that they are his entire world, but they fumbled the delivery. To be honest there are too many toxins that kill just these people, or they kill everyone but these people, which makes the rules around it confusing to follow.
    Yes, we as fans can work it all out, but it's a popcorn movie- you need to hand this stuff to the audience and make sure you play inside the rules. But the rules on the toxin literally reverse from one use to the next.
  • MalloryMallory Do mosquitoes have friends?
    Has anyone had any luck identifying...
    Mathilde’s Doudou?
    No, but it would make a good piece of merchandising. ;)
  • HildebrandRarityHildebrandRarity Centre international d'assistance aux personnes déplacées, Paris, France
    Mallory wrote: »
    Mathilde’s Doudou?

It was
    Licorne-Couverture (Unicorn Blanket) by Dior, as Mathilde has inherited her father's taste for luxury.
  • mtm wrote: »

Yeah it just makes it clearer. I like the poetry that he would kill only the Swanns because it reinforces that they are his entire world, but they fumbled the delivery. To be honest there are too many toxins that kill just these people, or they kill everyone but these people, which makes the rules around it confusing to follow.
    Yes, we as fans can work it all out, but it's a popcorn movie- you need to hand this stuff to the audience and make sure you play inside the rules. But the rules on the toxin literally reverse from one use to the next.

This is all just further evidence that I wish they had gone with some sort of plant based toxin that’s super spreadable/lethal instead of magic targeted nanomachines. Would have made more sense and gotten rid of the whole M helped develop an absurdly powerful super weapon while still more or less keeping the rest of the plot the same.
  • mattjoesmattjoes Kicking: Impossible
    edited October 2021 Posts: 6,724

He does say anyone, but I think the phrase is not meant to be taken literally. It's like Greene saying "everything (Bond) touches seems to wither and die".

Is it actually mentioned? I know we can piece it together but I don't remember them actually saying 'we found a bionic eye in Blofeld's head'.
    They never say that (I think), but at the second scene in M's office, M orders Q to "hack into Blofeld's bionic eye".
    edited October 2021 Posts: 1,165

The red vial was coded with a strand of Madeleine's hair. Anyone Bond or Safin would come into contact with after that point would spread nanobots from person to person which would kill Madeleine and/or Madilde.

Yes, they mention it after Nomi is tasked with giving a full body-cavity search. :D

Oh gosh, I thought it was just some plant, I didn't even think it had been established earlier. I did wonder how hot that tea could possibly though: the way he acts when it's thrown in his face (from a not-very big teacup) reminded me of the fights you get in Naked Gun when someone screams when some feathers are thrown in their face or something :D
    There's no reason to believe the blinding was a bluff; stealing someone's sight would be a way to make them docile and obedient. Luckily for Primo, one of his eyes is fake.

Yeah, that is a bit of a cop-out though because clearly he doesn't even mean what he says in that moment. Also it sounds like it doesn't even make sense anyway! :)
    Think of it less in terms of love, but more of control. Safin is like an abusive husband who torments his wife but also won't let her leave him. He's obsessed with Madeleine as the woman "he gave life to" by saving her, but don't mistake that with genuine love. Safin is all about control.
  • MalloryMallory Do mosquitoes have friends?
    Mathilde’s Doudou?

It was
    Licorne-Couverture (Unicorn Blanket) by Dior, as Mathilde has inherited her father's taste for luxury.

Is that the stuffed toy she has?
  • HildebrandRarityHildebrandRarity Centre international d'assistance aux personnes déplacées, Paris, France
    Mathilde’s Doudou?

It was

Is that the stuffed toy she has?
    Yes, the French generic term for the favorite stuffed toy of a child is a "doudou". Young children tend to have one favorite toy they really relate to and gives them reassurance. Like Linus' security blanket in Peanuts.

But Mathilde's one was probably some prop knitted together by a seamstress. Most doudous are handcrafted and unique.
  • FeyadorFeyador Montreal, Canada
    edited October 2021 Posts: 735
    Yes, it's a sick but brilliantly nefarious kind of revenge upon both Madeleine & Bond: because anyone with whom Bond comes into physical contact might accidentally but fatally pass the poisoning on to Madeleine/Mathilde. Two degrees of separation, that sort of thing (if I understand correctly) ... I also think it must make Bond’s acceptance of imminent death that much easier.

And, yes, I do indeed think we are meant to give some metaphorical weight to the line, "Anyone we touch, we are their curse." Exactly as with Greene in QOS, as pointed out above. A reference to Bond's past ... the dead women ... but also allies, etc.

But does Swann think so, too, however much she might love him? Does this explain, at least in part, her assertion regarding Mathilde, "She's not yours," in the house in Norway? That raising a child away from Craig-Bond might be safer for both mother & child?
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    mattjoes wrote: »

He does say anyone, but I think the phrase is not meant to be taken literally. It's like Greene saying "everything (Bond) touches seems to wither and die".

Eh, I dunno, at least Greene's words are clearly all metaphorical: with Safin's it's just the 'anyone' part? It's just poorly thought-out. It would even have more impact if he mentioned the Swanns.
    mattjoes wrote: »

They never say that (I think), but at the second scene in M's office, M orders Q to "hack into Blofeld's bionic eye".

Which is possibly the most James-Bond-film line ever delivered :D

The red vial was coded with a strand of Madeleine's hair. Anyone Bond or Safin would come into contact with after that point would spread nanobots from person to person which would kill Madeleine and/or Madilde.

So not 'anyone'. The line doesn't work.

Think of it less in terms of love, but more of control. Safin is like an abusive husband who torments his wife but also won't let her leave him. He's obsessed with Madeleine as the woman "he gave life to" by saving her, but don't mistake that with genuine love. Safin is all about control.

Yes, but the point is he acts like he and James are the same in that they can't leave the island to protect Madeline, but an abusive husband doesn't protect the wife at the cost of his own life. What he says in that moment doesn't make sense.
  • JamesBondKenyaJamesBondKenya Danny Boyle laughs to himself
    has anyone timed the pre-credits sequence?
    "Anyone we touch, we [Bond & Safin] are their [Madeleine & Mathilde] curse."

Ambiguously, I admit, "their" may literally refer to both Madeleine & Mathilde, as Safin in the act of infecting Bond is also clearly shown to have infected himself with the contents of the broken vial.

And then there is the separate metaphorical meaning noted above ...
  • edited October 2021 Posts: 490

Ambiguously, I admit, "their" refers to both Madeleine & Mathilde, as Safin in the act of infecting Bond is also clearly shown to have infected himself with the contents of the broken vial.

Yeah I was so caught up in the film I didn't even realize this until today. Safin's grandiose and delusional mind probably told him that he'd find Madeline and they'd be together but then when he was pinned down by Bond he just went for it and doomed himself also knowing he didn't stand a chance against Bond.

Normally I'd say it weakens the villain if they are so easily dispatched by Bond but in this case it really elevated Safin's insanity. He had to rely on his wits and this final ace in the hole he had because in person he was just an "angry little man"
    Yes, but the point is he acts like he and James are the same in that they can't leave the island to protect Madeline, but an abusive husband doesn't protect the wife at the cost of his own life. What he says in that moment doesn't make sense.
    It's entirely likely at that point he's just digging the knife further into Bond. Safin knows he's been beaten, and he's lashing out the only way he can: verbally. That's not to say on some twisted level he doesn't want to be with Maddy, it's just not "love" in the way you or I would see relationships. Safin believes he deserves Maddy's affections and the only way he can achieve that is through force.

It's not all that different from Blofeld flirting with Tracy in OHMSS.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom

Ambiguously, I admit, "their" may literally refer to both Madeleine & Mathilde, as Safin in the act of infecting Bond is also clearly shown to have infected himself with the contents of the broken vial.

That just is a badly written line if that's the intended meaning! :)
    It's entirely likely at that point he's just digging the knife further into Bond. Safin knows he's been beaten, and he's lashing out the only way he can: verbally. That's not to say on some twisted level he doesn't want to be with Maddy, it's just not "love" in the way you or I would see relationships. Safin believes he deserves Maddy's affections and the only way he can achieve that is through force.

Obviously he's digging the knife: he knows he's dead, basically. But his lines aren't clear to the audience, it's muddily written stuff. All he needs to say to Bond is "if you touch them you will be their curse". Him adding himself into the equation doesn't convince at all because we know he wouldn't care.
    Do you actually think it's flawlessly written?
    I think we're just going round and round in circles on this one. Obviously I think Safin is a compelling villain, while you believe he's poorly fleshed-out. Since you're asking my opinion, I have no qualms with that exchange at the end. It's clear to me that Safin views himself as the tragic hero of an epic of his own design. He's not the villain of his story; he's the victim who has been robbed of his treasures by the bad man with a gun. They hit on that point repeatedly when they interviewed Rami prior to release; Safin has a twisted sense of morality and acts according to his own definition of altruism.

But hey, what's great is we can all have different opinions about these things. I'd be curious to hear if Safin rises in your estimation when you see the movie again.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    I think we're just going round and round in circles on this one. Obviously I think Safin is a compelling villain, while you believe he's poorly fleshed-out.

I'm literally just saying that line is poorly phrased to be confusing to the audience.
    I personally didn't find it confusing, so I can't really address that. >_>

It's not all that different from Blofeld flirting with Tracy in OHMSS.

I hadn't picked up on that, but, yes, that makes sense ... and yet another connection with the film.
    I think we're just going round and round in circles on this one. Obviously I think Safin is a compelling villain, while you believe he's poorly fleshed-out.

I'm literally just saying that line is poorly phrased to be confusing to the audience.

Or maybe the sound was muddy. It took a few viewings, and different formats, for me to be clear on exactly what Safin said.

So, initially confusing? Yes ... but to me the double meaning now comes through loud & "clear," as it were, whether intended (almost certainly) or not by the writers.
  • matt_umatt_u better known as Mr. Roark
    edited October 2021 Posts: 4,343
    Anyone we touch, we are their curse.

It makes perfect sense since they both carry a death sentence for the Swann’s. Even if they don’t see them ever again the nanobots will eventually spread like a virus if they keep living their life touching other people.

I watched it again yesterday and Safin clearly smashes the vial on Bond’s face. Maybe there are some tiny continuity errors with Bond’s scars on his face.

Another thing I noticed is that Vesper (1983-2006) is buried alongside her mother’s family. I don’t remember the exact names but the tomb above Vesper has the name of her mother + “Lynd’s widow” written on it. So NTTD establishes that Vesper’s mom and grandparents were from Matera so she’s half Italian and she’s not buried in Matera randomly.
    matt_u wrote: »
    Anyone we touch, we are their curse.

It makes perfect sense since they both carry a death sentence for the Swann’s. Even if they don’t see them ever again the nanobots will eventually spread like a virus if they keep living their life touching other people.

I watched it again yesterday and Safin clearly smashes the vial on Bond’s face. Maybe there are some tiny continuity errors with Bond’s scars on his face.

Another thing I noticed is that Vesper (1983-2006) is buried alongside her mother’s family. I don’t remember the exact names but the tomb above Vesper has the name of her mother + “Lynd’s widow” written on it. So NTTD establishes that Vesper’s mom and grandparents were from Matera so she’s half Italian and she’s not buried in Matera randomly.

I saw that on my second watch aswell. I can't remember the name of the Italian part of the family, though. Does anyone recall? Could be another Easter Egg. The names on the tombs in SP where crew members, right?
    A possible answer to a question I posed before:
    How does Blofeld know that Bond will be at the meeting?

He doesn't. He thinks he has Heracles. The original plan was to infect everyone at the party with the Heracles targeted at Bond and then let the virus work it's way towards him. That's why they spray it on everyone even though only one man is the target. Primo shadows Bond in Jamaica and probably in Cuba, too, first to get his DNA and then to make sure Blofeld can see him die once the virus reaches him. Only Bond decided to come to the party himself. So Blofeld did a bit of an impromptu speech only for everything to blow up in his face.
  • matt_umatt_u better known as Mr. Roark
    A possible answer to a question I posed before:
    How does Blofeld know that Bond will be at the meeting?

During the scene on the ship with Felix and Ash, Bond asks to Waldo how did Blofeld knew he would've been at the party, and Waldo looks at Ash, hinting that was him who leaked the info.
  • mattjoesmattjoes Kicking: Impossible
    Blofeld says to Bond that Madeleine's secret will be his end, if I remember correctly. Is he talking about her past history with Safin? If so, when and how did Blofeld find out about Safin's reappearance?