NO TIME TO DIE (2021) - Critical Reaction and Box Office Performance

Comments

• edited October 2021 Posts: 3,564
    Marvel is releasing several movies per year, plus various TV offerings via the Disney+ channel. AND they have The Mouse's mighty publicity machine behind them. It's no surprise any Marvel film outperforms Bond at the box office -- even a 3rd rate character like Venom. The erratic release schedule is just one thing that will have to be corrected if James Bond Will Return again and again going past 2025...
    Minion wrote: »
    Anyone calling this a downer ending is too hung up on Bond’s death. We all die eventually, and he died happy knowing he both had a family and a legacy and they were safe. Madeleine telling the story of Bond to Matilde as Louis Armstrong began to play left me and my friends with a big, wide grin on all of our faces. Quite frankly, to most people this ending won’t be any different than Logan or Endgame
    Bingo:)
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Ryan wrote: »
    When I saw it just last weekend, there was an older couple behind me that were just loving it. When "James Bond will Return" appeared at the end, they gasped and began clapping. Warmed the cockles of my heart.
    That's a great reaction.

I've actually yet to see the line in person because at both my screenings the cleaning crew turned the lights on completely and started cleaning about mid-way through the credits. Makes it a tad awkward to sit there as the only person left!

That happened here as well.
    I consider it a double downer of an ending. Not only does Bond die, but it was depressing (for me, at least) to see filmmakers so out of ideas that they had to go back to 1969 to use a love theme rather than coming up with something original.
  • DrinmanDrinman New York
    edited October 2021 Posts: 40
    It seems the common theme here is that subversion, long gaps between films and lack of Bond in other forms of media (games, TV, streaming, etc…) seem to be the culprit behind US diminished interest.

On the subversion topic, I find it interesting that CR is considered to be a modern classic and other than Bond being early in his career and being betrayed by Vesper it was a fairly straightforward Bond film in the DN/FRWL vein. He had humanity and depth but you still wanted to be him. It seems like once you stop wanting to be Bond (an aspirational fantasy male figure) everything else starts to unravel.
  • MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”
    Now that MGM will have Amazon’s backing, there won’t be much of an excuse to delay a Bond film because of money troubles or looking for a co-production partner like Sony and Universal. EON has all the money at their disposal, so the ball is in their court over how long it takes to get things going for Bond 26.
  • edited October 2021 Posts: 725
    The next Bond needs to bed Zendaya. That’s the only solution to box office woes.

And no, I’m not saying that because that’s what I wanna see. Trust me. 😁
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    What about making 2 Bond films..one for the American market and one for the rest of the world? 😉

You mean we can actually have a Bond film with blood and nudity without the risk of our local movie theatre being set on fire? ;-)
    Yeah. After losing the American market, they will actively try to lose other markets too. Makes sense, darthdimi.
  • RyanRyan Canada
    Escalus5 wrote: »
    If EON/MGM wanted massive box office in the U.S., they should have rebooted six years ago with a different actor, cut the budgets a bit, and gotten these things out on a regular schedule.

I wouldn't be surprised if that was indeed the plan until Daniel Craig decided to return.
  • MinionMinion Don't Hassle the Bond
    edited October 2021 Posts: 1,165
    Ryan wrote: »
    When I saw it just last weekend, there was an older couple behind me that were just loving it. When "James Bond will Return" appeared at the end, they gasped and began clapping. Warmed the cockles of my heart.
    That's a great reaction.

I've actually yet to see the line in person because at both my screenings the cleaning crew turned the lights on completely and started cleaning about mid-way through the credits. Makes it a tad awkward to sit there as the only person left!
    That's a shame! No respect in this business anymore. No respect!

The best part about that little moment which I left out was the older woman then telling her husband (?), " See, you're always so impatient! You've got to stay until the end of the credits!"
  • matt_umatt_u better known as Mr. Roark
    Yeah. After losing the American market, they will actively try to lose other markets too. Makes sense, darthdimi.

Without Venom's competition NTTD would've matched SP's opening. Without COVID it would've gross even more.
    The franchise needs a shake after almost 10 years of "old man Bond", but trying too hard to appeal young US audiences would be the end of the franchise.
    9IW wrote: »
    -36% of the US audience was over 45. The old folks did their part to support the film. The younger crowd made their statement with Venom on both weekends. I have 2 children, 3 godchildren and 6 niece/nephews, all in their 20’s. Not one went to see it. Bond does not resonate with these kids.

-67% of the US audience was male. That seems a little high for action in general and Bond particularly. FWIW, my 21 year old daughter thinks Craig is an “old guy” and my wife ranks him 4th among Bond actors on the sexy scale.

This has to be an American thing.
    Here in Europe I see groups of girls at the screenings I went to, and lots of young people in general.
    In Germany NTTD will have made (after less than 3 weeks) more at the box office than F&F9, Black Widow and Shang-Chi combined after several months.
    Totally different world compared to the US box office.
  • I'm going out of my way to avoid watching Venom now. Too old for me.
    I'm going out of my way to avoid watching Venom now. Too old for me.

Just looking at the poster of Venom tells me it's not something I want to see. It is a tad sad films like that apparently is what the cool kids like these days...
  • sandbagger1sandbagger1 Sussex
    I'll bet Tom Hardy is having a bit of a laugh that his franchise is bigger than Bond in the US. I always saw it as a kind of second-rate character franchise, not in the same league as Bond or Indy, but those box-office numbers are nothing to sneer at.
    Wasn't Craig paid over 20 million for NTTD? Next actor will probably get 1/10 of that for his first film. Employ Cubby's motto: put it all to the screen, not to the pocket of your leading man!

Hey EON! I'll play Bond for 20 quid!
    Now that MGM will have Amazon’s backing, there won’t be much of an excuse to delay a Bond film because of money troubles or looking for a co-production partner like Sony and Universal. EON has all the money at their disposal, so the ball is in their court over how long it takes to get things going for Bond 26.

I miss the days when Crédit Lyonnais owned MGM and was cracking the whip to get a Bond film out every other year. Amazon should take a cue from those folks.
    Bond hasn’t been aimed at kids since Brosnans day, arguably Rogers. To the betterment of the series imo
  • SeveSeve The island of Lemoy
    bondywondy wrote: »
    Anyone calling this a downer ending is too hung up on Bond’s death. We all die eventually, and he died happy knowing he both had a family and a legacy and they were safe. Madeleine telling the story of Bond to Matilde as Louis Armstrong began to play left me and my friends with a big, wide grin on all of our faces. Quite frankly, to most people this ending won’t be any different than Logan or Endgame

I don't get why people are comparing Bond's death to Logan or Tony Stark. They didn't die and then pop up again in the next film. Bond will do that so imho it's a flawed comparison. It's also worth mentioning Batman/Bruce Wayne did not die in The Dark Knight Rises so the Batman franchise has never had to resurrect Bruce Wayne.

What we're seeing with Bond 25 and 26 is unprecedented in film history. The death of the hero and then the statement confirming the hero will return. That has never being done before so there is no comparable example. The only example I can think of is The Death Of Superman comic storyline published in the 1990s.

Lol, you think Logan and Tony Stark are never going to pop up in another movie?

Marvel are going to have to reboot them one day

They can try rebooting "Iron Man" with a different character occupying the suit, but I don't think it will stick in the long run

As for Logan, there can only ever be one Wolverine and sooner of later he too "will return"
    edited October 2021 Posts: 1,165
    How many people watched Batman V Superman and thought, "I thought Batman retired?"

How many people watched Man of Steel and thought, "Didn't Zod already die?"

How many people watched The Amazing Spider-Man and thought, "What happened to Mary Jane?"

We're going in circles here. Literally no one thinks NTTD is going to be the last James Bond movie ever made, unless they literally skipped out on every major blockbuster of the past 30 years. Reboots are part of modern film culture, for better or worse. It already happened with Bond, and it'll happen again.
  • QQ7 wrote: »
    https://www.boxofficemojo.com/year/world/?ref_=bo_nb_hm_tab

Just compare domestic and foreign numbers for Venom and NTTD.
    It's clear that one movie appeals to USA and other to foreign audience and vice versa.

Only 23% of Venom's earnings are foreign.

It will not surprise me if the US box office 2021 ends with the top four titles being Marvel films (Black Widow, Shang-Chi, Venom, and Spider-Man), which really demonstrates just how massively popular Marvel is in the US. I don't think Bond has a chance of cracking that top four.

You're forgetting The Eternals. They'll kick Venom's ugly butt. You heard it here first.
  • Matt007 wrote: »
    Bond hasn’t been aimed at kids since Brosnans day, arguably Rogers. To the betterment of the series imo

Exactly
  • 9IW9IW
    edited October 2021 Posts: 59
    Jan1985 wrote: »
    -36% of the US audience was over 45. The old folks did their part to support the film. The younger crowd made their statement with Venom on both weekends. I have 2 children, 3 godchildren and 6 niece/nephews, all in their 20’s. Not one went to see it. Bond does not resonate with these kids.

-67% of the US audience was male. That seems a little high for action in general and Bond particularly. FWIW, my 21 year old daughter thinks Craig is an “old guy” and my wife ranks him 4th among Bond actors on the sexy scale.

This has to be an American thing.
    Here in Europe I see groups of girls at the screenings I went to, and lots of young people in general.
    In Germany NTTD will have made (after less than 3 weeks) more at the box office than F&F9, Black Widow and Shang-Chi combined after several months.
    Totally different world compared to the US box office.

The numbers suggest it is definitely an American thing with this installment. We will see this weekend if they all have seen Venom and opt for Bond over Halloween. A quick poll of the young people in my circle indicated that they all went to and /or watched American football all weekend.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Bond rises above estimates for its first domestic Monday at $6.94 million:

https://deadline.com/2021/10/no-time-to-die-monday-box-office-domestic-1234854716/
  • manovermanover uk
    Some good news here regards US boxoffice
  • 9IW9IW
    Creasy47 wrote: »

https://deadline.com/2021/10/no-time-to-die-monday-box-office-domestic-1234854716/

Really good sign. A chance at being really close to $100 million by the end of the weekend.
  • slide_99slide_99 USA
    edited October 2021 Posts: 648
    How many people watched Batman V Superman and thought, "I thought Batman retired?"

How many people watched Man of Steel and thought, "Didn't Zod already die?"

How many people watched The Amazing Spider-Man and thought, "What happened to Mary Jane?"

We're going in circles here. Literally no one thinks NTTD is going to be the last James Bond movie ever made, unless they literally skipped out on every major blockbuster of the past 30 years. Reboots are part of modern film culture, for better or worse. It already happened with Bond, and it'll happen again.

The last thing Bond should be doing is copying the likes of DC and Marvel. Alternate timeline antics are a sign of creative bankruptcy. "Well we messed that up, time for a reboot. Just ignore everything we did previously." That opens up a whole slew of problems that didn't exist before during the days of the loose continuity from Connery all the way to Brosnan. How do fans stay invested in a series with constant reboots, with a bunch of self-contained timelines that ignore one another?

This kind of stuff wasn't a problem until very recently in the Bond series. If there's no continuity between Craig's Bond and the others, and if Eon was always planning on bringing Bond back for #26 anyway, it means NTTD's ending is ultimately meaningless, and was only done for GOT-style shock effect. You could argue that the lack of continuity makes the NTTD's ending okay (I believe it doesn't), but the question is, why even do it?
    Creasy47 wrote: »

Really good sign. A chance at being really close to $100 million by the end of the weekend.
    I could a name a few users who will be salty over this news. ;)
  • RyanRyan Canada
    I might go again this coming weekend, so at the very least I will be making a small contribution to that total! You're welcome, EON. ;)