NO TIME TO DIE (2021) - Critical Reaction and Box Office Performance

Comments

• edited October 2021 Posts: 7,500
    HUGE! Biggest Bond opening of Craig's era. The Japanese, in general, love Bond. I posted early some things. I will find them again. They asked for audience's views in a survey and this group so far has really loved the film, more than any other Craig film. It is doing great box office now.

That´s great to hear!

I think that although some of the die hard aficionadoes on this thread will pretend otherwise, the bold moves in NTTD will appeal to the more casual viewer. The film carries a real emotional punch and shows Bond can be so much more than just a collection of tropes associated with the franchise.
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    I do think the general audiences will find it to be a great movie because they come with no heavy baggage; no preconceived notions (maybe just some iconic images or seen a few older films, if that). NTTD is so beautifully filmed, exciting, great sound and editing, with memorable set pieces. Folks who don't know Fleming, don't know much about Bond, could still really like this movie a lot. And now they are hearing it is controversial, so they will be curious.
  • I do think the general audiences will find it to be a great movie because they come with no heavy baggage; no preconceived notions (maybe just some iconic images or seen a few older films, if that). NTTD is so beautifully filmed, exciting, great sound and editing, with memorable set pieces. Folks who don't know Fleming, don't know much about Bond, could still really like this movie a lot. And now they are hearing it is controversial, so they will be curious.

It is very much a Spectre sequel though. Other than CR, SF was the most stand alone Craig Bond film.
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    For me, it fit all of Craig's entire story arc. All of it. Which I appreciate. And I like all the nods in it.
    So...what does the studio want with this movie?

It's literally impossible for the movie to make a profit cause of the pandemic and I know they know it.

The results of the box office won't ruin the entire franchise... right? We won't get more Amazon involvement after the box office loss?

Also as far as box office results go... hmm...

My original thoughts few years ago were....850m world wide probably. I did not think the movie would get 1b, and I expected it not to be a great movie, especially it coming off from SP and it being a direct sequel...kinda.

So on one hand.... the box office is slooooowly coming back.... and Bond is a massive name

Sooooo.... idk really :/

Shang-Chi has 387m WW so far...

Free Guy made 323m WW so far

Venom opened to 90m

But also....it's pandemic...

So if we are objective... surely Bond is bigger than Shang-Chi?

So surely 500m WW would be the bottom number right?

But what would be the ceiling?

I'd say....

600m worldwide?

That somehow sounds like a lot now that I am typing it since there will be some competition as time goes on..

500+m

Between 500 and 750 is the broad prediction from me.

I think it will be around 600m which might be considered a success seeing that QoS in non-pandemic did not make that much.
  • edited October 2021 Posts: 309
    dragonsky wrote: »
    So...what does the studio want with this movie?

It's literally impossible for the movie to make a profit cause of the pandemic and I know they know it.

The results of the box office won't ruin the entire franchise... right? We won't get more Amazon involvement after the box office loss?

Also as far as box office results go... hmm...

My original thoughts few years ago were....850m world wide probably. I did not think the movie would get 1b, and I expected it not to be a great movie, especially it coming off from SP and it being a direct sequel...kinda.

So on one hand.... the box office is slooooowly coming back.... and Bond is a massive name

Sooooo.... idk really :/

Shang-Chi has 387m WW so far...

Free Guy made 323m WW so far

Venom opened to 90m

But also....it's pandemic...

So if we are objective... surely Bond is bigger than Shang-Chi?

So surely 500m WW would be the bottom number right?

But what would be the ceiling?

I'd say....

600m worldwide?

That somehow sounds like a lot now that I am typing it since there will be some competition as time goes on..

500+m

Between 500 and 750 is the broad prediction from me.

I think it will be around 600m which might be considered a success seeing that QoS in non-pandemic did not make that much.

If NTTD drops like a film pre-pandemic then it may very well come close, match or beat Spectre’s gross. Best case scenario is that NTTD continues to match or beat Skyfall’s run. Yes, there are some theater closures around the world and some people are still wary of going to theaters but we may truly be post-pandemic as far as theater attendance is concerned. Some have NTTD tracking to a $100M opening weekend in the US. If that happens (or comes close), then $200M+ is guaranteed in the US.

As of today, NTTD’s floor may be $700M. I think this does $900M WW but we’ll see.
  • It better beat Hi Mom! as the top global film of 2021.
    It better beat Hi Mom! as the top global film of 2021.

Spider-Man: No Way Home will almost surely be the year's top film, right?
    The Hollywood list for this year:

Top 5:

1. Fast 9 - 716m WW

2. Godzilla vs Kong - 467m WW

3. Shang-Chi 387m WW (so far)

4. Black Widow - 379m WW

5. Free Guy - 323m WW (so fa)

Just a bit to put things in context 700m would be MASSIVE if they manage that. You gotta realize we are in unprecedented times so numbers would be heavily heavily impacted.

Also, there's a serious competition for NTTD, here are all the big releases:

1 week before NTTD: Venom

1 week after NTTD: Halloween Kills

2 weeks after NTTD: Dune, Ron's Gone Wrong

3 weeks after NTTD: Antlers, Last Night in Soho

4 weeks after NTTD: Eternals

So objectively, this movie will have to heavily depend on the non-USA numbers.

Here are the numbers of the top 3 Hollywood movies so far:

Fast 9:

$173,003,090 US
    $543,586,000 non-US

Godzilla vs Kong:

$100,563,133 US
    $367,300,000 non-US

Shang-Chi: (ongoing)

$206,181,396 US
    $181,273,513 non-US

And for reference here are the USA numbers for the last 2 Craig Bond movies:

SkyFall: $304,360,277

SPECTRE: $200,074,609

And here are the opening weekend numbers:

Skyfall: $88,364,714
    SPECTRE: $70,403,148

NTTD realistically, considering everything would be:

US: 150-175m
    non-US: 400-550m

Let's see if i'm right or wrong
  • MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”
    It better beat Hi Mom! as the top global film of 2021.

Spider-Man: No Way Home will almost surely be the year's top film, right?

If it features previous Spider-Men, it’s gonna be craaaazzzzyyy.

Also helps that because it’s a Sony release it’ll be theaters only. No streaming platform will have it.
    Has Bond ever been the highest grossing film worldwide...ever? For a year.
    I don’t think so. Looking up 1964 and 1965, they were Marry Poppins and The Sound of Music. Bond couldn’t even top Julie Andrews. So if NTTD is the highest grossing film of the year, that’s a big first for Bond.
  • matt_umatt_u better known as Mr. Roark
    Spider-Man will smash the boxoffice and it’s gonna be the highest grossing film of 2021. Hopefully NTTD will beat F9!
  • Just a thought but seeing as Quantum hs been retconned in effect by Spectre why hasn't QOS been re-branded as Spectre of Solace? 😃

Because Quantum is still a different thing.
    According to Purvis and Wade, Quantum was the South American branch of SPECTRE, which Greene was head of.

That works for me.
    SP makes it clear that Quantum is part of the larger SPECTRE organization. It works even without P&W further explanation.
  • Apologies to all..just being flippant
  • edited October 2021 Posts: 2,400
    According to Purvis and Wade, Quantum was the South American branch of SPECTRE, which Greene was head of.

That works for me.

I can like BARELY squeak that by, if they're the South American branch then why are they holding meetings at operas in Austria? I've had a much easier time believing that Quantum are merely a more public "front" for SPECTRE, a conglomerate of SPECTRE's so-called "legitimate" corporate fronts.

On an entirely unrelated note, one of my favourite things about the Bond mythos is how the 00 section and SPECTRE both operate behind fronts (Universal Exports vs. the various offices we see SPECTRE in). I know that the Craig era films largely got away from the physical office embodiment of that, but he still had UE business cards. The Brosnan films were all but entirely absent of it, he just went to Vauxhall Cross in each movie.
    I believe that Moonraker was the highest grossing film of 1979 WW.
    I was going to buy a ticket for my second viewing tonight. I am currently in a city with two huge cinemas showing NTTD in several different halls. Turns out everything was sold out. Not a single seat available. I have never experienced this before on the fourth day since the premiere of a new Bond film.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    jobo wrote: »
    I was going to buy a ticket for my second viewing tonight. I am currently in a city with two huge cinemas showing NTTD in several different halls. Turns out everything was sold out. Not a single seat available. I have never experienced this before on the fourth day since the premiere of a new Bond film.

Just checked the next two screenings here for fun. The first was practically full, and the second not too far from, in the biggest theatre on a Tuesday.
  • 007bondUK007bondUK England
    Regardless of if people like NTTD or not one thing they did get right was riding out the pandemic and waiting until it could return on the big screen in cinemas.

It's Bond so many people, not just fans, will want to see it at least once. What really gives it the box office mojo is repeat viewings. Personally, for the first time since Goldeneye, I will not being seeing it again on the big screen.

Anyway, because it is Bond and more and more people are feeling more confident in going to enclosed places after the pandemic it will help it do well as people return on mass to the cinema.

The only thing I would add is when you see headlines like 'No Time to Die scores James Bond's biggest UK opening box office weekend' it's worth reading the full article.

NTTD made £25.9m between Friday and Sunday. It beat Skyfall's first weekend takings of £20.2m.

However....

Universal said No Time to Die opened in 772 cinemas in the UK and Ireland on Thursday.

When Skyfall made its big screen debut nine years ago, it opened in 587 cinemas. That difference of 187 cinemas is going to make that difference.

Can't take into account ticket prices but a very, very rough calculation of takings per unit would suggest Skyfall is still more successful when you compare takings to the amount of cinemas that it opened in.

But as we all know Skyfall went on to be a huge box office hit, especially in the UK as there was a nationwide "feel good" vibe because of the London Olympics but also repeat viewings. I think I saw it five times at the cinema.

That works for me.

I can like BARELY squeak that by, if they're the South American branch then why are they holding meetings at operas in Austria?

They really wanted to see Tosca. ;)

That works for me.

I can like BARELY squeak that by, if they're the South American branch then why are they holding meetings at operas in Austria?

Haha. Shows they have good tastes, then ;)
  • jobo wrote: »

That works for me.

Haha. Shows they have good tastes, then ;)

Yeah but Tosca's "not for everyone"
    Burgess wrote: »
    I believe that Moonraker was the highest grossing film of 1979 WW.
    Thanks!
  • According to Purvis and Wade, Quantum was the South American branch of SPECTRE, which Greene was head of.

That works for me.

My take:
    Quantum was a "front" organization -- with most of its members not even knowing about the existence of Spectre (which really controlled it).

It included members of the political and business elite, who might not be too keen to be involved with a criminal organization conducting narcotics and sex-trafficking trade on a global scale.

Topple governments to gain political or financial advantage? Sure. Get teenage girls hooked on dope and sell them as sex slaves? No, I don't want to be associated with that...
    CraterGuns wrote: »
    The film's user rating at IMDb is dropping like a rock... due to a flood of 1-star ratings by so-called "anti-woke" trolls who haven't even seen the movie.

CPC (Conservative Political Correctness) in action.

Or it could be reviews made by fans like myself who are genuinely pissed off with what EON have done? If I had posted a review on there I may well be inclined to give it 1/10, and this isn't down to PC correctness or anything like that.

Its down to being very depressed about what they've done to the franchise.

Never have I wanted a film to tank as badly as I want NTTD to do now, not just at the box office but with all the critic reviews and the user reviews too. If I see the RT rating of NTTD be at 20% or less, I will be a happy man. If the film tanks at the BO I'll be a happy man. If there is a severe backlash afterwards, I'll be a happy man.

EON went one step too far with this film. I never thought it would be possible that I would hate a film more than DAD, but EON have surpassed themselves. They have released a film that I know I will never be able to bring myself to watch it ever again. The sad thing is, it has made feel this way about the entire Craig era.

Thank you EON. Well done for screwing up my love of Bond. I really hope Babs and co. quit now. If we never get another Bond film again, then at least I won't be disappointed anymore.

• edited October 2021 Posts: 4,400

Don't get too excited about those $100m domestic weekend projections. More accurate reporting is say $70-80m which sounds more proportionate. Also, if I'm being honest $70-80m even seems a little too high to me. Again, I would love nothing more than to be proved wrong.

Also @jetsetwilly those are some strong words. May I ask, was it the ending of the film that you disliked? Personally, I thought it was a terrific ending for Craig and was actually very true to Fleming. The ending is basically Fleming's YOLT done properly. Arguably that was my favourite book of Fleming's (along with CR) as it was the most subversive and thoughtful. I'm even intrigued to go back and read the book again before I re-watch NTTD.

You_Only_Live_Twice-Ian_Fleming.jpg