NO TIME TO DIE (2021) - Critical Reaction and Box Office Performance

Comments

CraterGuns wrote: »
    The film's user rating at IMDb is dropping like a rock... due to a flood of 1-star ratings by so-called "anti-woke" trolls who haven't even seen the movie.

CPC (Conservative Political Correctness) in action.

Or it could be reviews made by fans like myself who are genuinely pissed off with what EON have done? If I had posted a review on there I may well be inclined to give it 1/10, and this isn't down to PC correctness or anything like that.

Its down to being very depressed about what they've done to the franchise.

Never have I wanted a film to tank as badly as I want NTTD to do now, not just at the box office but with all the critic reviews and the user reviews too. If I see the RT rating of NTTD be at 20% or less, I will be a happy man. If the film tanks at the BO I'll be a happy man. If there is a severe backlash afterwards, I'll be a happy man.

EON went one step too far with this film. I never thought it would be possible that I would hate a film more than DAD, but EON have surpassed themselves. They have released a film that I know I will never be able to bring myself to watch it ever again. The sad thing is, it has made feel this way about the entire Craig era.

Thank you EON. Well done for screwing up my love of Bond. I really hope Babs and co. quit now. If we never get another Bond film again, then at least I won't be disappointed anymore.

If you had it to do over, and know what you do now, would you have watched it? I already know what happens, etc. Could you watch the Craig Bonds the way you used to (if you hadn’t seen it, but had later found out about what happens in the movie). Thanks

Don't get too excited about those $100m domestic weekend projections. More accurate reporting is say $70-80m which sounds more proportionate. Also, if I'm being honest $70-80m even seems a little too high to me. Again, I would love nothing more than to be proved wrong.

Also @jetsetwilly those are some strong words. May I ask, was it the ending of the film that you disliked? Personally, I thought it was a terrific ending for Craig and was actually very true to Fleming. The ending is basically Fleming's YOLT done properly. Arguably that was my favourite book of Fleming's (along with CR) as it was the most subversive and thoughtful. I'm even intrigued to go back and read the book again before I re-watch NTTD.

You_Only_Live_Twice-Ian_Fleming.jpg

This is definitely NOT the end of YOLT done properly. If it was, then we would have seen Bond confronting Shatterhand/Blofeld, strangling and killing him `Die Blofeld die!'. We would have seen Bond escaping via a weather balloon, only to get shot and end up being nursed back to health at a fishing village, suffering amnesia. `Sparrows Tears' chapter this isn't.

We then would have witnessed Bond tragically not knowing who he is anymore, setting sail to Russia because he believes he has a connection there.

Now that would have been the end of YOLT done properly, and would have been far better than what we got instead.
    CraterGuns wrote: »
    The film's user rating at IMDb is dropping like a rock... due to a flood of 1-star ratings by so-called "anti-woke" trolls who haven't even seen the movie.

CPC (Conservative Political Correctness) in action.

Or it could be reviews made by fans like myself who are genuinely pissed off with what EON have done? If I had posted a review on there I may well be inclined to give it 1/10, and this isn't down to PC correctness or anything like that.

Its down to being very depressed about what they've done to the franchise.

Never have I wanted a film to tank as badly as I want NTTD to do now, not just at the box office but with all the critic reviews and the user reviews too. If I see the RT rating of NTTD be at 20% or less, I will be a happy man. If the film tanks at the BO I'll be a happy man. If there is a severe backlash afterwards, I'll be a happy man.

EON went one step too far with this film. I never thought it would be possible that I would hate a film more than DAD, but EON have surpassed themselves. They have released a film that I know I will never be able to bring myself to watch it ever again. The sad thing is, it has made feel this way about the entire Craig era.

Thank you EON. Well done for screwing up my love of Bond. I really hope Babs and co. quit now. If we never get another Bond film again, then at least I won't be disappointed anymore.

If you had it to do over, and know what you do now, would you have watched it? I already know what happens, etc. Could you watch the Craig Bonds the way you used to (if you hadn’t seen it, but had later found out about what happens in the movie). Thanks

I heard rumours that Bond would be killed off before going in to the cinema, but I honestly thought it would be done in an ambiguous way. Did he really die or didn't he. I also thought we would finally be seeing the Sparrows Tears chapter from the YOLT novel, as we were now getting the poison garden, which I've always been desperate to see.

So yes, I would still have watched it in the hope that this is what I would be seeing. The end of YOLT finally adapted properly.
    Thanks. Appreciate your perspective and take. I’m going to read the Bond novels again. The Fleming ones, that is. Was around 25 when I binge read them. I think I will head for the theatre on Friday here in the states. 1:10 showing. People will get to see a grown man cry, from what I’ve read.
  • 00Heaven00Heaven Home
    Is this perhaps the wrong thread for some of all this?
  • edited October 2021 Posts: 2,400
    Thanks so much on behalf of anyone who hasn't seen the film yet who you deliberately went out of your way to ruin it for on the exact same day that North American early previews begin.
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    Comment removed by @Jimjambond
    This is NOT a spoiler thread
  • ImpertinentGoonImpertinentGoon Everybody needs a hobby.
    Benny wrote: »

You may have to move towards putting NO SPOILERS or SPOILERS ALLOWED in every single thread title. On the other hand, I am sure even that wouldn't suffice.

To get back on topic a bit: Do we expect a new slate of reviews from the US this week or did they all publish after the press screenings last week? I think I saw the NYTimes already published one. Will they do another one for the actual release of the film or is this mostly it?
  • edited October 2021 Posts: 656
    Hopefully that idiot has been banned. He/she is obviously not a real Bond fan. My apologies on behalf of the UK or wherever in Europe the idiot is from.
  • MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”
    Benny wrote: »

You may have to move towards putting NO SPOILERS or SPOILERS ALLOWED in every single thread title. On the other hand, I am sure even that wouldn't suffice.

To get back on topic a bit: Do we expect a new slate of reviews from the US this week or did they all publish after the press screenings last week? I think I saw the NYTimes already published one. Will they do another one for the actual release of the film or is this mostly it?

There might have been a few that held back their reviews in time for the US release for Friday’s publication, but it looks like most have already posted them. So it won’t be another SPECTRE situation where we get glowing UK reviews followed by very lukewarm US reviews.
  • edited October 2021 Posts: 328
    I didn't deliberately set out to spoil things. I apologise. I got confused with the threads.
  • edited October 2021 Posts: 328
    Why would I be banned? It was a mistake and please save your insults, it's absolutely unnecessary.
  • Super early figures look good for NTTD in France ("Mourir Peut Attendre" in French). There's no easy comparison with other figures in these times so I won't comment further.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    No Time To Die Presales Outpacing Venom: Let There Be Carnage On Fandango, Bound To Be Best For Bond:

https://deadline.com/2021/10/no-time-to-die-fandango-presales-record-1234850717/
    Sure looks like those who want to see the film tank will be in for a disappointment...
    I've removed all quoted posts so that the spoiler tag was removed, in case you're wondering why some comments were altered.
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    @NicNac @DarthDimi and all mods: We DEFINITELY need the title of this thread to say it INCLUDES SPOILERS.
    This thread has some comments that do not belong here.
    NTTD opens within hours in the U.S., plus all people anywhere who have NOT seen the movie and come here hoping to enjoy some Bond info but not be spoiled ... this thread has now been ruined for that.

Just add spoilers ARE here; not just possible, but are here! Please.

I like reading about box office, but this thread has much more in it.
    I've added a 'POSSIBLE SPOILERS' tag. It seems no one is in agreement on which direction this thread should go so in the meantime, it might be best to use spoiler tags if spoiler discussion is absolutely necessary. Thanks.
    edited October 2021 Posts: 12,459
    Thanks, @Creasy47 ! Yes, people posting here: Please use spoiler tags here but mostly keep to the theme of the thread and do NOT put any spoilers here anyway!! Please and thanks. B-)
  • Red_SnowRed_Snow Australia
    Bond breaks box office and audience figure records
    https://dcm.co.uk/news/bond-breaks-box-office-and-audience-figure-records
    They sort of bury the lede in a few of those headlines, as it seems this is shaping up to lead to Fandango's strongest sales for a Bond film. That's incredible.
    For anyone looking for a last minute reassurance that you're about to see a smashing piece of Bond media today/across the weekend, take another look at my review from after the premiere which has NO plot details:

https://filmspeak.net/movie-reviews/2021/9/29/no-time-to-die-review
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    For anyone looking for a last minute reassurance that you're about to see a smashing piece of Bond media today/across the weekend, take another look at my review from after the premiere which has NO plot details:

I read that review earlier. Great work!

It is an excellently written review, I saw it posted earlier. I’ve allowed my excitement to go back up - just about six hours away for me until showtime.
  • FoxRox wrote: »

It is an excellently written review, I saw it posted earlier. I’ve allowed my excitement to go back up - just about six hours away for me until showtime.

Enjoy. You won't be dissapointed. I'm going for my second viewing on Sunday.
    So glad you posted your brilliant review here, @StirredNotShaken . It is the perfect gift to everybody who has not yet seen the film. No spoilers. Just the beauty of it and encouraging all to go in fresh as they can, with open mind and heart.
    OK everybody, PLEASE take a look at the tons of information in this thread on twitter. You really need to click into it to see the additional box office/production info, on all Bond films. It is very interesting - I'd love your thoughts on all of this.

NOTE: I just glanced at this, and there MAY BE SPOILERS in it; I do not know! Perhaps best if you have not seen NTTD to wait and check this thread out AFTER you have seen this movie. If you read thru it all and find zero spoilers, please do say so in reply here.

But everybody else, please do dive in ... there is so much here on costs and profits and how things are spent/spread out, etc. in Bond films. Do not be put off by Skyfall being predominant in the photo, the first page of the twitter thread. Please go into it! Thanks. B-) I would like your thoughts as I do not know if this is all true or not ... is it all pretty much accurate?
  • matt_umatt_u better known as Mr. Roark
    edited October 2021 Posts: 4,343
    Deadline reports that NTTD is expected to gross $150 million at the global boxoffice this weekend. Those are conservative figures.

I believe that by the end of the weekend NTTD’s overall gross will hit the $300 million mark.

You wrote that? I read it earlier thinking it was by far the best review of the film I had seen. Both accurate and elegantly written. Take a bow, my friend!
  • MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”
    matt_u wrote: »
    Deadline reports that NTTD is expected to gross $150 million at the global boxoffice this weekend. Those are conservative figures.

I believe that by the end of the weekend NTTD’s overall gross will hit the $300 million mark.

That would be crazy.

I really want to see Bond exceed expectations, so here’s hoping that Bond proves its persistence.