NO TIME TO DIE (2021) - Critical Reaction and Box Office Performance

Comments

• 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    Thrilled to read all the stats in that Deadline article! So happy for this film to be doing so great. I really hope it continues. It's a beautiful, excellent Bond film.
    Creasy47 wrote: »

That's real solid business NTTD is doing, with the int'l projection for this weekend going from $90m to $114m and challenging Skyfall's opening numbers in so many markets. Still a stretch to imagine NTTD reaching $1 billion in the end, but if North America brings about $200m and $100m from China, NTTD will be on track to safely outgross CR and QOS and maybe even approach Spectre's $880m.

Keep in mind as well that these numbers are sans China and a handful of smaller but still significant markets (e.g. Australia).
  • StarkStark France
    82% on RT after 157 reviews. Pretty solid.
    I am really happy if it stays at 80%. American critics going to be a bit divided but some are loving it.
  • w2bondw2bond is indeed a very rare breed
    When was the last time that Bond went by an alias? CR made a gag by having Bond drop it entirely because he knew Le Chiffre would see through it. Can’t recall prior to that. St. John Smythe?

Does Mickey Mouse count?
    Or James Bond (banker)?
  • MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”
    w2bond wrote: »
    When was the last time that Bond went by an alias? CR made a gag by having Bond drop it entirely because he knew Le Chiffre would see through it. Can’t recall prior to that. St. John Smythe?

Does Mickey Mouse count?
    Or James Bond (banker)?

Ha! That reminds me, in spite of the film not being among the greats, all the humor landed with the audience I watched it with, and that Mickey Mouse “alias” got a reaction.
    w2bond wrote: »

Does Mickey Mouse count?
    Or James Bond (banker)?

Ha! That reminds me, in spite of the film not being among the greats, all the humor landed with the audience I watched it with, and that Mickey Mouse “alias” got a reaction.

Yeah I feel the level of humour is similar to Skyfall. The couch gag got a reaction too. And 'stay!'

John Sinjin Smythe , I think. A View to A Kill.
  • brinkeguthriebrinkeguthrie Piz Gloria
    I am waiting to see it once it hits streaming. I've heard 45 days from release date, or Nov 22 in the USA..I've also seen Dec 21 for the DVD. Is that close to accurate?
    Rainy wrote: »
    That's great! I live in Japan - just home now, after seeing NTTD for the 2nd time (LOVE it!) and I'm really happy to know that audiences in Japan were polled and are so positive about this fine film. Thanks a lot for sharing this.
    I suggest don't wait for streaming unless you need to for safety/health reasons (coronavirus). Seeing this particular film on the big screen is stunning. It is a gorgeous Bond film, made with superb craftmanship.
    I am waiting to see it once it hits streaming. I've heard 45 days from release date, or Nov 22 in the USA..I've also seen Dec 21 for the DVD. Is that close to accurate?
    Yes, that’s what I read.
  • brinkeguthriebrinkeguthrie Piz Gloria
    I suggest don't wait for streaming unless you need to for safety/health reasons (coronavirus). Seeing this particular film on the big screen is stunning. It is a gorgeous Bond film, made with superb craftmanship.

I believe that it is; I also don't trust the environment where I'm jam packed with people who I don't know, and if they've taken all necessary measures. Not worth the risk to me.

Then that is understandable, for sure.
    My cinema experience seemed very safe, for which I am thankful.
  • edited October 2021 Posts: 4,599
    delete
    It's still crazy to me that they've done $100m without China and then to say nothing of the absolute barnstorm this film will be next weekend in North America. Maybe this can be a second billion dollar movie for the franchise after all.
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    Before covid, I predicted this film would make 1.007bn. I'm gonna stick with that. At the least, it should beat SP figures.
    So provided the US market follows a similar trajectory, can we say we're headed towards the more optimistic side of the predicted figures?

This is great news. They released it at a good time during bad times
  • 00Ralf00Ralf Germany
    edited October 2021 Posts: 149
    Edit: Sorry, wrong thread.
  • The film's user rating at IMDb is dropping like a rock... due to a flood of 1-star ratings by so-called "anti-woke" trolls who haven't even seen the movie.

CPC (Conservative Political Correctness) in action.
  • MalloryMallory Do mosquitoes have friends?
    CraterGuns wrote: »
    The film's user rating at IMDb is dropping like a rock... due to a flood of 1-star ratings by so-called "anti-woke" trolls who haven't even seen the movie.

CPC (Conservative Political Correctness) in action.

Has gone from 8.0 with around 2,000 votes to 7.7 with 26,000. Doesnt look out of the ordinary.
    edited October 2021 Posts: 2,055

Estimated £25.69m opening in UK ($34.8m), instantly making it the highest grossing film after a four day opening (Thurs to Sun)

Skyfall did £20.1m in 2012, across a 3 day opening (Fri to Mon), so I’d say broadly on par.
    @Rainy I know its not your tweet but that is misleading, Spectre launched on a Monday here so had 7 day box office, where as NTTD had four, and the others had three days.
  • RainyRainy Skyfall
    Mallory wrote: »
    @Rainy I know its not your tweet but that is misleading, Spectre launched on a Monday here so had 7 day box office, where as NTTD had four, and the others had three days.
    Yeah true, didn't Spectre release on a Monday or something?
  • ContrabandContraband Sweden

Estimated £25.69m opening in UK ($34.8m), instantly making it the highest grossing film after a four day opening (Thurs to Sun)

Skyfall did £20.1m in 2012, across a 3 day opening (Fri to Mon), so I’d say broadly on par.

https://variety.com/2021/film/news/no-time-to-die-box-office-international-record-1235079723/
  • ProfJoeButcherProfJoeButcher Bless your heart
    Contraband wrote: »

https://variety.com/2021/film/news/no-time-to-die-box-office-international-record-1235079723/

Wow! They've already made 25% of the final gross predicted by the box office wizards at MI6 HQ! :))