NO TIME TO DIE (2021) - First Reactions NO SPOILERS please

Comments

dragonsky wrote: »
    Denbigh wrote: »
    I should also like to add just quickly, EON please bring back Cary Fukunaga. I don't know if he'd want to, but if they can get him, they should. To just imagine what he could do a with a clean slate...

The real question is....after the way SP was received....why didn't they try a clean slate approach with this one?

edit: Meaning a story that is not related to SP at all, not a new Bond actor

I think the problem is that you can't really just have Bond instantly back in the fold like the previous four films hadn't happened, not after what those four films are. It's just not very compelling. He had to be brought back somehow, and the way the movie addresses both his hiatus and return is one of the best things about it. For me, I think of how DAF just ignored OHMSS which most if not all the users here agree was a really bad call. Granted, this isn't the exact same situation and the ending of SPECTRE obviously doesn't have those kinds of stakes, but I think it would've been the same mistake on a smaller level to go clean slate here.
  • FatherValentineFatherValentine England
    I should also like to add just quickly, EON please bring back Cary Fukunaga. I don't know if he'd want to, but if they can get him, they should. To just imagine what he could do a with a clean slate...

The real question is....after the way SP was received....why didn't they try a clean slate approach with this one?

I think the problem is that you can't really just have Bond instantly back in the fold like the previous four films hadn't happened, not after what those four films are. It's just not very compelling. He had to be brought back somehow, and the way the movie addresses both his hiatus and return is one of the best things about it. For me, I think of how DAF just ignored OHMSS which most if not all the users here agree was a really bad call. Granted, this isn't the exact same situation and the ending of SPECTRE obviously doesn't have those kinds of stakes, but I think it would've been the same mistake on a smaller level to go clean slate here.

But at the end of SP there is no explicit mention he is retiring. They just mention he has 'left'. That could be annual leave/holiday time. They could have ignored the ending from SP in NTTD and 99% of the audience would not have remembered what had happened. I would guess that many, if not most, audiences watching NTTD will be asking who the hell Madeline is, especially after such a long absence.
  • MalloryMallory Do mosquitoes have friends?
    I’m just back from seeing it in IMAX.

I am really trying to hold off on forming any concrete judgement until I have seen it a few times, as there is a lot in the film!

My initial gut feeling is that I liked it, didn't love it.

But I now have a clearer idea of where I would like the next Bond, and the series, to go.
  • edited September 2021 Posts: 38
    gonna post something in spoiler section instead, dont want to trigger people lol
    Just back from seeing it.
    Reaction?
    Am bitterly disappointed!
    Will elaborate more. But not now!
    Wow. This film is getting thrashed on here. I just bought my ticket, too.
    gonna post something in spoiler section instead, dont want to trigger people lol

Unless I missed something, we never got your post in that thread and I'd be interested in knowing what you thought (unless you're still typing it out that is).
  • gonna post something in spoiler section instead, dont want to trigger people lol

Unless I missed something, we never got your post in that thread and I'd be interested in knowing what you thought (unless you're still typing it out that is).

Yeah gimme a sec, I'm pretty certain there were no spoilers in my video but my friend persuaded me to take it down so I'm going to re-upload it with a spoiler warning just to be on the safe side.
  • The video is on the spoiler reaction bit now!
    I've seen it. I didn't like it.

Starts of brilliantly and then goes south in the most abysmal ways possible.

Sure, fair point.

When SP was over and my thoughts were complete about the movie... I really hoped they'd either completely ignore it or wrap everything up in a realitvely long PTS where SP will end........title sequence... heey would you look at that, few months have passed since the PTS and now we have our new movie

:D :D

Univex wrote: »
    I've seen it. I didn't like it.

Starts of brilliantly and then goes south in the most abysmal ways possible.

Just curious if it's a bottom of your rankings dislike, or is it on a whole 'nother level of dislike.
    Meaning, is it dislikable enough to not even bother purchasing on 4K/Blu-ray and possibly never revisiting again?
  • Jordo007Jordo007 Merseyside
    The Matera sequence was incredible. Craig was peak Fleming Bond
    The less said about the third act the better
    Don't worry about the runtime that flew by
    Yes, Matera, Jamaica and Cuba were brilliant. But the rest of the film obliterated that instantly.
    Yes, Matera, Jamaica and Cuba were brilliant. But the rest of the film obliterated that instantly.

This is what I keep hearing from quite a few fans.
  • edited October 2021 Posts: 503
    The only Bond movies worse than No Time To Die, for me, are A View to a Kill and Diamonds Are Forever.

Shame, as the first ~45 minutes or so are absolutely excellent. The rest of the movie is a slog that I think every Bond fan will to some degree dislike.
    Stuff from Bond movies I don't want to revisit:

-Bond parasurfing a tsunami;
    -Bond driving an invisible car;
    -Bond being a
    dad
    ;
    -Bond being
    dead
    Wow. This is sounding like one of the very worst films in the series.
    I'm getting worried.
  • MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”
    To be fair, Fleming Bond was already set up as having a child with Kissy, although by TMWTGG he was still completely unaware.
    Birdleson wrote: »
    Great post.

Mine? I wouldn't call it great literature on the level of Dickens or Hemmingway.
  • edited October 2021 Posts: 6,677
    ToTheRight wrote: »
    Wow. This is sounding like one of the very worst films in the series.
    I'm getting worried.

Well, it sure is one of the biggest disappointments. Up until cuba I was thinking: what?! Why aren't people loving this film? It's fantastic!!! And then the rest happened and those odd 40 initial minutes were obliterated.
    To be fair, Fleming Bond was already set up as having a child with Kissy, although by TMWTGG he was still completely unaware.

This makes me wonder if a faithful adaption of YOLT substituting Kissy for Madeleine was ever truly considered. We pondered the SHATTERHAND idea for ages on here.
    that might have been a better way to go.

This makes me wonder if a faithful adaption of YOLT substituting Kissy for Madeleine was ever truly considered. We pondered the SHATTERHAND idea for ages on here.

It sure would've been way better than what we got.

Damn. I'm really hoping I enjoy it some some level. I love the 54'CR and NSNA, so hopefully I like this.

Damn. I'm really hoping I enjoy it some some level. I love the 54'CR and NSNA, so hopefully I like this.

I had the same mind set going in. I'd rationalise the world to like it. But a
    dead dad Bond
    isn't my scene.
  • If one things for sure it's that this film is polarizing, even to us hard core fans. Love it or hate it.. Maybe it'll be the new QoS? But I love QoS.. :-?
  • Jordo007Jordo007 Merseyside
    Like @Univex said, first 40 minutes up until Bond returns to London were fantastic in my book

The tone from Cuba onwards wrong footed me somewhat, one moment we're in camp Sir Roger territory, next we're going darker than LTK
    Some odd choices made
  • MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”
    It’s not a true swan song for a Bond actor unless it’s polarizing. On that note, NTTD is carrying that touch passed from DAF, AVTAK, LTK and DAD. All four of those were polarizing for their times.
    If one things for sure it's that this film is polarizing, even to us hard core fans. Love it or hate it.. Maybe it'll be the new QoS? But I love QoS.. :-?

Yeah. I am worried it will become the only Bond film I outright dislike. If that's the case it could prevent me from going to a new movie for a very long time.
    So many modern adaptations of classic characters have gone wrong, IMHO.
    Jordo007 wrote: »
    Like @Univex said, first 40 minutes up until Bond returns to London were fantastic in my book

The tone from Cuba onwards wrong footed me somewhat, one moment we're in camp Sir Roger territory, next we're going darker than LTK
    Some odd choices made

Yeah, that scene with the
    car crushing Ash
    for Leiter, just didn't have the same weight has Bond immolating Sanchez. And that's just because at least Dalton was coherent on his approach throughout the entire film. It didn't even rely on Bond and Felix bromance, like NTTD did (that part was really well done, to the point I'd rather see a Bond film all about that).