Last TV Show You Watched?

Comments

I'm currently watching Squid Game and I'm loving every minute of it. The plot is simple: Hundreds of cash-strapped contestants accept an invitation to compete in children's games for a tempting prize, but the stakes are deadly. If you loved Kinji Fukasaku's Battle Royale (2000) then you'll love this 9 episode thriller. I also enjoyed Alice in Borderland series based on the manga of the same name by Haro Aso. If you're tired of the same humdrum occidental culture drivel pervading our screens, then you really need to give this a try. Both shows get the Bondsum Golden Seal of Approval.

Lee-Jung-Jae-and-Park-Hae-Soo-Squid-Game-1200x666.jpg
    bondsum wrote: »
    I'm currently watching Squid Game and I'm loving every minute of it. The plot is simple: Hundreds of cash-strapped contestants accept an invitation to compete in children's games for a tempting prize, but the stakes are deadly. If you loved Kinji Fukasaku's Battle Royale (2000) then you'll love this 9 episode thriller. I also enjoyed Alice in Borderland series based on the manga of the same name by Haro Aso. If you're tired of the same humdrum occidental culture drivel pervading our screens, then you really need to give this a try. Both shows get the Bondsum Golden Seal of Approval.

Both great shows, AIBL and SG; loved them both, more so the latter. Gave me real Bond vibes with that island and army and the cop infiltrating it. Great production values, both of them.
    Univex wrote: »
    Both great shows, AIBL and SG; loved them both, more so the latter. Gave me real Bond vibes with that island and army and the cop infiltrating it. Great production values, both of them.
    I've just got 2 episodes of SG to go. As you pointed out, both have great production values, and yes there's definitely a Bond vibe with the island hideaway and villians in SG. Boy oh boy, I thought the VIPS episode was extremely tense.

For the record, I also loved the Kingdom prequel full-length movie earlier this year. Another great South Korean production.
  • edited September 2021 Posts: 6,665
    I've just got 2 episodes of SG to go. As you pointed out, both have great production values, and yes there's definitely a Bond vibe with the island hideaway and villians in SG. Boy oh boy, I thought the VIPS episode was extremely tense.

For the record, I also loved the Kingdom prequel full-length movie earlier this year. Another great South Korean production.

I loved it too. The Korean tv machine is running very well, I'd say. Some of their productions scream originality, whereas Hollywood and occidental tv is drenched in reboots and rehashes, and sequels. Even in the sci-fi and special effects departments, they're quite advanced. And some of their actors are bonafide superstars. Hyun Bin is the new front man for Omega, for example.
    I loved it too. The Korean tv machine is running very well, I'd say. Some of their productions scream originality, whereas Hollywood and occidental tv is drenched in reboots and rehashes, and sequels. Even in the sci-fi and special effects departments, they're quite advanced. And some of their actors are bonafide superstars. Hyun Bin is the new front man for Omega, for example.
    Totally agree @Univex. I've got another one for you if you're interested? I'm currently watching another South Korean gem called Stranger from Hell (Free on Viu). It’s a 10-part twisted, dread-inducing psychological thriller that revolves around a young man who receives a lucrative job offer and moves to Seoul. With money tight, he winds up staying in a cheap residential block. The only problem is, it’s shared by some pretty creepy and unnerving characters. Best way to describe this series is it’s like a Korean homage to The League of Gents set in a run-down apartment block instead of a remote English village. It’s extremely dark in tone, but also very compelling.

My next show to watch, @bondsum! Definitely. Sounds very interesting and original. Many thanks, my friend. Also, didn't know Viu, so there's another win right there ;) Thanks
    My next show to watch, @bondsum! Definitely. Sounds very interesting and original. Many thanks, my friend. Also, didn't know Viu, so there's another win right there ;) Thanks
    Excellent. I'm about halfway through the series and it's great. The trailer really doesn't do it justice. You're in for a treat.
    Being James Bond.

Very interesting and enjoyable insight from Babs, Michael, and Daniel. Never knew Daniel basically filmed Spectre with a broken leg for most of the shoot?!!!! ^:)^
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    RogueAgent wrote: »
    Being James Bond.

Very interesting and enjoyable insight from Babs, Michael, and Daniel. Never knew Daniel basically filmed Spectre with a broken leg for most of the shoot?!!!! ^:)^

I watched it yesterday and likewise I did not know the full extent of his injury, no wonder he was so miserable after filming.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    The-Simpsons.jpg
    Catching up on some newer episodes.
  • edited October 2021 Posts: 526
    Fear The Walking Dead (on AMC), this is their, 6th season. Been watching it ever since it debuted. Good show that really picked up during the 4th season (did a reboot of sorts). You can start watching the show from season 4 if you want to (although it’s better to watch it all).

Getting ready for the 4th season of Yellowstone on the Paramount Network. Really good drama (minus the country western music which is played sometimes). Kevin Costner’s best work imo.
  • edited October 2021 Posts: 526
    DarthDimi wrote: »
    Star Trek: The original series season one

I love these old ST episodes. Amazing stuff. Their plots are often simple and sometimes resemble each other but they're still great fun to watch. I grew up watching The Next Generation so I'm glad I can at least visit the old series on DVD now. Moving on to season two now.

@DarthDimi You are in for a treat! I’ve been a Trek fan since I can remember. Watched reruns when I was about 5 (my mother tells me). Truly one of the most influential and popular tv shows of all-time. The casting is sublime. Season 1 is the best, imo, and then it goes on (don’t won’t you spoil anything). Do you have a favorite episode so far? A very addicting show. I can watch it over and over again. Enjoy! I watch it in the states on H &I Network (has each classic Trek series) at least some almost every day.
  • Watching the best show on TV right now, HBO's Succession. What a masterful show with incredible writing and brilliant performances. I highly recommend it.
    CURB YOUR ENTHUSIASM
    636352945391518969-AP-TV-Curb-Your-Enthusiasm-Debut.jpg?width=1660&height=938&fit=crop&format=pjpg&auto=webp
    Watched the first episode of season 11, and it s a very promising start. Lots of smiles and giggles from me.
    D
    RogueAgent wrote: »
    Being James Bond.

Very interesting and enjoyable insight from Babs, Michael, and Daniel. Never knew Daniel basically filmed Spectre with a broken leg for most of the shoot?!!!! ^:)^ [/quote

Daniel Craig is the man! Wow.
  • PrinceKamalKhanPrinceKamalKhan Monsoon Palace, Udaipur
    Bingewatching many episodes of Get Smart on the Decades channel's weekend binge marathon.
    Yellowstone was amazing tonight. Season 4 premiere was off the charts good. Then they showed a 2nd episode. Best American show on first-run tv right now.
    Rewatched a few Seinfeld episodes. George is pretty funny.
    Dexter premiere was...fine, I guess? Kinda dull, but compared to the small screen sewage that was its "final" season, it's at least watchable. I still contend that what was now formerly the series finale is the worst individual episode of television I've ever seen.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    edited November 2021 Posts: 28,694
    luther-film-t.jpg

Well, long story short, been rewatching BBC's Luther this year because I finally had the drive to watch the latest episodes that came out way back at the start of 2019. Always meant to watch them, but it just never felt like the right time. Don't know why I got the itch to see Idris Elba in what I think is his defining role, but I'm glad I did because it turns out a movie continuing the story left off by the latest run of episodes is filming as we speak for a future Netflix release. Funny timing, all considered.

My history with Luther is actually quite deep. It was the first show that made me fall in love with the British style of television with more focused storytelling over filler content in between bigger arcs like it can be in America, and I remember watching the original first series way back in what must have been 2009 or 2010 as a much younger lad. I was absolutely riveted by Elba and his role as Luther, who is still one of my favorite characters I've ever encountered. Many years and not as many series later, I have kept up with the show and waited with increased anxiety for a continuation of a story that I was always glued to.

Over the years Luther has definitely had its ups and downs, most notably because the show just kept losing so much of what made it special, particularly its characters that made the drama have stakes since you cared about who was in danger. Of course as a show goes on you're going to lose people, through writing decisions or because an actor wants out, but I think the show has reached its point in series 5 where I truly don't know where else they could take it without a multitude of sharks being jumped. So much has changed, and so many stories have been told to completion. The show has inarguably shown its age here and there, though never reaching what I would call unforgivable lows.

The strength has always been in Elba's talents, and the titular character's allure and riveting presence, and that is still very much there in the show no matter how long it goes on. After all, I watch because Luther the man is captivating, and it's compelling to see him fight his way through the scenarios the universe throws at him, even though his bad luck is almost too cartoonish and hard to swallow at this point. The cases throughout the years have been great too, don't get me wrong, but that has never been the selling point, just as it never was with Sherlock. Character and character development is what sells and engages people long term, with the mysteries being secondary. The show simply can't survive on the crimes or "villains" alone, which have gotten overly nasty in what seems to be an attempt to up the ante for shock value more than anything, so just having Luther solving cases with no greater plot revolving around his character just wouldn't land right for me. What would be the point, if nothing is developing his character toward some end goal?

The biggest draw after all this time is what his character's journey is, beyond his day job and the shock and horror cases, and the big problem is that just about every angle I can think of has been explored with him at this point in the show's decade long run. There truly is nowhere left to go that wouldn't feel cheap, lazy or unfitting, and I wish we'd just reach a destination once and for all. I think it would be far wiser to use the upcoming film to finally tie off any loose ends that are left in this tale and just let the story conclude properly to honor the work Elba and his cast and crew have done over the years before its formula grows too stale. Nothing lasts forever, nor should it.
    Just finished watching the most unique and bizarre show I’ve ever seen: Squid Game. It’s on Netflix. It is a South Korean tv show. At first, it seems like a dramedy, but that changes really fast as the show progresses during episode 1. It’s a shocker, and surprisingly deep show. Has anyone else watched it?

Sorry, overlooked this. Glad you are enjoying it. I’d like to know your thoughts on the finale when you have seen it.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Been watching the latest season of Yellowstone, which has turned into one of my favorite shows of modern times. Not enough good westerns out there, for my taste. It's been a treat to get this show to replace Longmire, another phenomenal effort. The writing this season is up there with some of the best in the show, because the characters and their different interactions have had three seasons to brew thus far and it's thrilling to see collisions or intersections.

Anyone who has seen the show will understand what I mean when I say that Rip Wheeler is my spirit animal. I'd watch the show for him alone, such an impressive performance from Cole Hauser. He's turned into one of my all time favorite characters from any medium, a real treat to watch. And for anyone that only knows of Kelly Reilly as Watson's sweet wife in the Sherlock Holmes movies should watch her become unrecognizable as the most terrifying adult woman I've ever seen in television. What a force her character Beth is to be reckoned with!

Highly recommend the show for anyone that loves westerns with an edge, and well written characters with compelling relationships.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Been watching the latest season of Yellowstone, which has turned into one of my favorite shows of modern times. Not enough good westerns out there, for my taste. It's been a treat to get this show to replace Longmire, another phenomenal effort. The writing this season is up there with some of the best in the show, because the characters and their different interactions have had three seasons to brew thus far and it's thrilling to see collisions or intersections.

Anyone who has seen the show will understand what I mean when I say that Rip Wheeler is my spirit animal. I'd watch the show for him alone, such an impressive performance from Cole Hauser. He's turned into one of my all time favorite characters from any medium, a real treat to watch. And for anyone that only knows of Kelly Reilly as Watson's sweet wife in the Sherlock Holmes movies should watch her become unrecognizable as the most terrifying adult woman I've ever seen in television. What a force her character Beth is to be reckoned with!

Highly recommend the show for anyone that loves westerns with an edge, and well written characters with compelling relationships.

Great review for a great series. I’ve only had the chance to see the S4 premiere so far - can’t seem to watch it otherwise with any of the apps I have, and I don’t have cable - but I’m hoping to catch up soon.

Speaking of that, I’m loving Sheridan’s new Mayor of Kingstown as well. Nice to see him and Renner reunite after the criminally underrated Wind River.
    @Creasy47, Taylor Sheridan is phenomenal. I've made a point to see anything he was creatively involved with, and only have a handful of movies I need to see on the list. Definitely looking forward to the numerous shows he's been brewing in this universe of his. Such a talent. I won't say much more, but his presence in season 4 is felt more than ever before, and the results are great. You'll know what I mean when you watch the next few episodes.

I'm most pumped for the Yellowstone spinoff 1883 that's coming, to get a true red western with what looks to be a great cast. The fact that Sam Elliott saddled back up to be in it says a lot to me. When I saw the latest trailer for that show and not only saw Tim McGraw of all people acting his arse off, but also saw Sam Freaking Elliott as a cowboy again, I thought I was watching something fan made. So incredibly excited to see what that show brings.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    @Creasy47, Taylor Sheridan is phenomenal. I've made a point to see anything he was creatively involved with, and only have a handful of movies I need to see on the list. Definitely looking forward to the numerous shows he's been brewing in this universe of his. Such a talent. I won't say much more, but his presence in season 4 is felt more than ever before, and the results are great. You'll know what I mean when you watch the next few episodes.

I'm most pumped for the Yellowstone spinoff 1883 that's coming, to get a true red western with what looks to be a great cast. The fact that Sam Elliott saddled back up to be in it says a lot to me. When I saw the latest trailer for that show and not only saw Tim McGraw of all people acting his arse off, but also saw Sam Freaking Elliott as a cowboy again, I thought I was watching something fan made. So incredibly excited to see what that show brings.

He's so fantastic. The only thing of his I wasn't crazy about was his new film with Angelina Jolie, Those Who Wish Me Dead. I enjoyed seeing the usual host of actors and it was shot well but didn't grab me like his other film and TV works did.

I'm looking forward to 1888.
    I have all three ST Discovery seasons on bluray, bought them secondhand for around 25 euro's together, will watch them since those basterds took season 4 down days before it was supposed to air on Netflix.
    I guess the next series will do very well being downloaded illegally since it cannot be seen legally anytime soon in my neck of the woods.
    Pardon the Expression!
  • DwayneDwayne New York City
    “Somewhere in Dreamland” (1936/produced by Max Fleisher, directed by Dave Fleischer)

I have a great affinity for old-time cartoons, and on Monday evening (December 13th) one the US cable channels ran a great two-hour Christmas Special of holiday themed cartoons from the 1930s to 1950s.

This was one of the best. Equally funny and tragic, I can’t stop thinking about it. The cartoon, set during the contemporary Great Depression (1930s), follows two impoverished children who dream about a land full of candy and ice cream.

Maybe it’s my advancing age, but I found myself teary eye at the conclusion. Special thanks to the folks at METV for putting this special together.

p20996048_b_h10_aa.jpg?w=1280&h=720

• Just finished rewatching season 3 of Succession. Brilliant brilliant show. It's easily the best show on TV.