NO TIME TO DIE (2021) - Discuss Hans Zimmer's Score

Comments

• NoTimeToLiveNoTimeToLive Jamaica
    I have PMed five users already, the site won't let me PM more. Maybe if someone PMed me their email, but I don't know if that's against the rules. If it is, don't do that.
    bondsum wrote: »
    I think I heard a few references to
    Adele's Skyfall
    No, I didn't hear any musical references taken from Adele's Skyfall, hence why I'm not placing it into a spoiler bar. I think perhaps you're confusing those instrumental cues with the NTTD title song melody that's been woven into the score?

Yeah, I think you're right.
  • SatoriousSatorious Brushing up on a little Danish
    The best since TLD? That's a bold statement indeed.
  • MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”
    delfloria wrote: »
    Condolences to all the fans who enjoyed Newman's style. I was not one of them.

Pity you couldn’t enjoy his scores.
  • foo_yukfoo_yuk Canada
    PM me if you need the score :)
    delfloria wrote: »
    Condolences to all the fans who enjoyed Newman's style. I was not one of them.

Pity you couldn’t enjoy his scores.

Alas, I pitied myself too. Fortunately, I was able to enjoy his non-Bond scores.
    Can somebody send me a link to the entire movie? Why stop with downloading the score.
    I have heard "Final Ascent"! And folks!
    Death and rebirth
    Okay, to elaborate. The piece starts so sorrowful and down. These strings, alone. Piano from the song comes in, it gets even more down. Like an ending, like a death...
    But then. A rise. An ascension
    Slowly. But it begins to rise. The music lightens up. The piano — at first descending and haunting, now starts to go up. A transformation. Something magical is happening. Something that will change everything. It takes time, like everything in life does. Guitars come in — now there's a power. It becomes epic. The strings are sad, the piano is uplifting. The guitar is strong. A percussive roll, strings get bigger. Guitar gets bigger. It all gets bigger. Closer.
    Like we're seeing something.
    And then...it ends.
    Death and rebirth. Mastery of the two worlds, of life and death.

Hans Zimmer and friends did not phone it in.

• ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    edited September 2021 Posts: 4,043
    Satorious wrote: »
    The best since TLD? That's a bold statement indeed.

Quite possibly but I think it is that good. DA for me only consistently bought it with his QOS score, CR is sublime but those Austin Powers horns on the Miami scene are cringeworthy.

I don't hear this score doing anything like that and Zimmer isn't blatantly him here. Shades of DA, TN and of course the master as well.

It depends if people don't like the nostalgic indulgences but Zimmer has bought and at times, fun, thrilling, sinister emotional score, the full package and hearing someone do sinister the best since Barry is just a joy.
  • SatoriousSatorious Brushing up on a little Danish
    Shardlake wrote: »
    hearing someone do sinister the best since Barry is just a joy.
    I won't deny I've been missing the more sinister edge in Bond scores since Dalton left. This sounds very encouraging
  • ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    edited September 2021 Posts: 4,043
    Satorious wrote: »
    Shardlake wrote: »
    hearing someone do sinister the best since Barry is just a joy.
    I won't deny I've been missing the more sinister edge in Bond scores since Dalton left. This sounds very encouraging

I got vibes of Bond Smells A Rat from MR near to the end. It's playful at times but you can tell this film is heading towards something of an emotional wallop if you follow the vibe of the score.

If the music is anything to go by, Craig is going to end the tradition of bowing out on a poor or troublesome entry.
    Final Ascent is astounding is all I'll say, if the film matches the music this film is going end powerfully.
  • StarkStark France
    Amazing score... didn't expect such a soundtrack with only 3 months of work
  • HeinsenbergHeinsenberg France
    If anyone has the link, i'm still interested.
  • DCisaredDCisared Liverpool
    Any guesses on how much more score we'll get in the actual film than on the soundtrack judging by the runtime and soundtrack length?
  • I won't listen until I've seen the film, but reading all your comments here is filling me with so much joy. I needed...a score like that. I needed it to be a winner. I needed Hans to bring exactly what it seems like he's brought.

Can't wait.
  • GatecrasherGatecrasher Classified
    I’d hate to be that guy but…. if someone could forward the link to the score via pm, that’d be delightful.

One of the best aspects of a new Bond film, for me, is listening to the score; hearing that the NTTD music uses interpolations of past - John Barry, David Arnold, and even Thomas Newman - with the usual Zimmer flourishes is making me so overjoyed
  • edited September 2021 Posts: 6,665
    AgentM72 wrote: »
    I won't listen until I've seen the film, but reading all your comments here is filling me with so much joy. I needed...a score like that. I needed it to be a winner. I needed Hans to bring exactly what it seems like he's brought.

Can't wait.

Ditto. I just find that knowing the music beforehand influences negatively the enjoyment of the film, as our unconscious knows the build up already and won't be surprised by things. So, let's stay strong, my friend. It's all almost here, finally ;) Hearing these guys reviews just makes me so happy :)
    I’d hate to be that guy but…. if someone could forward the link to the score via pm, that’d be delightful.

One of the best aspects of a new Bond film, for me, is listening to the score; hearing that the NTTD music uses interpolations of past - John Barry, David Arnold, and even Thomas Newman - with the usual Zimmer flourishes is making me so overjoyed

PM me.
  • Univex wrote: »
    I won't listen until I've seen the film, but reading all your comments here is filling me with so much joy. I needed...a score like that. I needed it to be a winner. I needed Hans to bring exactly what it seems like he's brought.

Can't wait.

Ditto. I just find that knowing the music beforehand influences negatively the enjoyment of the film, as our unconscious knows the build up already and won't be surprised by things. So, let's stay strong, my friend. It's all almost here, finally ;) Hearing these guys reviews just makes me so happy :)

Absolutely. It's hard to hold out (especially since it's official release is well before the film's release date here in North America), but I don't want my first viewing of this film to be swayed or influenced at all by anticipation of the music.

We don't know what the future holds. And if things change massively and this is the last "classic" Bond film we get -- at least, the way we've known them -- I want to preserve that experience to enjoy it one last time.
    Univex wrote: »

Can't wait.

Absolutely. It's hard to hold out (especially since it's official release is well before the film's release date here in North America), but I don't want my first viewing of this film to be swayed or influenced at all by anticipation of the music.

We don't know what the future holds. And if things change massively and this is the last "classic" Bond film we get -- at least, the way we've known them -- I want to preserve that experience to enjoy it one last time.

Well said. My feelings exactly!
    DCisared wrote: »
    Any guesses on how much more score we'll get in the actual film than on the soundtrack judging by the runtime and soundtrack length?

Soundtrack is 70 minutes long, the movie is 163 minutes long.
  • phantomvicesphantomvices Mother Base
    So where do people think the title song will fit in chronologically? After Square Escape?

Yes. Same ending note i believe.
    Listening to the soundtrack again. I'm pretty sure I heard some notes from
    Skyfall (the "this is the end" part)
    at the end of Track 08. I don't know whether it's a coincidence or not, but they're the same notes for sure! I like it!
  • Loving the positive impressions. I was quite worried this would be a more generic Hans Zimmer score, but it sounds like he really delivered!
  • Been hovering around these forums but never posted. Just wanted to say how delightful it is to read all the positive reactions.
  • matt_umatt_u better known as Mr. Roark
    edited September 2021 Posts: 4,343
    Cuba Chase is crazy dynamite. Home is breathtaking. Final Ascent is a masterpiece. Those are my three favorite tracks. Then it’s so sweet to have those two Barry’s OHMSS reprises and it’s great to hear Billie’s track (with even some new vocalisms) being reprised so much throughout the score (4 tracks).
    The overall score is excellent, they really did it. Definitely my favorite of the Craig era. We’re in for something special with this film, something that will probably stand as the most emotional, tense and unique Bond film ever.
  • edited September 2021 Posts: 822
    Another broken record here, but if anyone could DM me the link, I'd really appreciate it.

Edit: received the link from some kind members, thanks!
    Loving the positive impressions. I was quite worried this would be a more generic Hans Zimmer score, but it sounds like he really delivered!

Yep, I'm among those who were a bit worried about Zimmer as I was afraid we'd get a generic score with lots of generic string progressions but I must say he did make a wonderful job. Also, no "bwaaams" anywhere in the score and that's great as I can't stand them.
  • DCisaredDCisared Liverpool
    matt_u wrote: »
    Cuba Chase is crazy dynamite. Home is breathtaking. Final Ascent is a masterpiece. Those are my three favorite tracks. Then it’s so sweet to have those two Barry’s OHMSS reprises and it’s great to hear Billie’s track (with even some new vocalisms) being reprised so much throughout the score (4 tracks).
    The overall score is excellent, they really did it. Definitely my favorite of the Craig era. We’re in for something special with this film, something that will probably stand as the most emotional, tense and unique Bond film ever.

Absolutely! Also 'i'll be right back' is where I feel Cary asked Hans to go FULL Zimmer! Lovely stuff.
  • StarkStark France
    DCisared wrote: »

Soundtrack is 70 minutes long, the movie is 163 minutes long.

The soundtracks always forgets themes (sometimes the best) so it will be longer, and we know that songs from other artists are going to be used (like "Dans la ville endormie" of Dalida).
  • edited September 2021 Posts: 532
    I’m going to be a beggar and ask if any kind members would dm me a link as well, I can’t wait until the movie comes out to give it a listen!

Edit: score received!