Controversial opinions about Bond films

Comments

• MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”
    I dunno, but I like that quirk of his.
    Hey I really like that action. Love the way he flicks the phone onto the car seat in QOS
    I dunno, but I like that quirk of his.

Yeah me too.
    I love when he throws the car keys in CR. Fits his character perfectly.
    It definitely gives him a devil may care attitude to his take on Bond.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited August 2021 Posts: 14,981
    Well, moving on from attempting to explain Tom Mankiewicz's jokes,

Or indeed explaining how you misunderstand them ;)
    I have a dumb pet peeve that may qualify as an unpopular opinion: While Daniel Craig is a tremendous actor and an excellent James Bond, his labored and flamboyant way of tossing things aside always irritates me.

And he does it a lot. Car keys in CR, wallet contents in QOS, and in SP, more wallet contents as well as his Walther. They seem to like having Craig fling his wrists around.

It's just part of his character- he discards stuff.
    Weirder to me is his repeated inability to sit down in boats. Think of his Bond in any boat. Is he standing up?
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    jobo wrote: »
    I love when he throws the car keys in CR. Fits his character perfectly.

Yeah it's one of the all-time top 'Bond moments' for my money.
  • Agent_47Agent_47 Canada
    mtm wrote: »

I have a dumb pet peeve that may qualify as an unpopular opinion: While Daniel Craig is a tremendous actor and an excellent James Bond, his labored and flamboyant way of tossing things aside always irritates me.

And he does it a lot. Car keys in CR, wallet contents in QOS, and in SP, more wallet contents as well as his Walther. They seem to like having Craig fling his wrists around.

Weirder to me is his repeated inability to sit down in boats. Think of his Bond in any boat. Is he standing up?

Doesn't he sit in the boat on his way to see Mathis in Quantum Of Solace?
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Agent_47 wrote: »

I think that is the one and only time! :D
    I guess he probably lay down on the yacht in Skyfall too, but we don't see it :) When we see him on deck in the morning though...
  • ProfJoeButcherProfJoeButcher Bless your heart
    edited August 2021 Posts: 1,691

Maybe I'll get lucky and find a place where Tom confirms it... But I could be wrong, and there's just accidentally a better joke in a more literal reading of the line. Maybe all his jokes ended up that way...? :))

At any rate, he does address the "Named after your father" line, which you felt must have been written before the name Plenty O'Toole:
    "When Lana Wood appears at the crap table and says, “Hi, I’m Plenty.” Bond says, “Why, of course you are.” She says, “Plenty O’Toole.” He [Sean] asked me if he could respond, “‘Named after your father perhaps?’” I [Tom] said, “It’s a great line.” But the very fact that he asked me – I was (only) 27 years old – shows you the kind of way he goes about his work. He’s totally professional. Any other actor would just have tried it right in the take. I was amazed. It’s a good line, and it’s his line."

• mtmmtm United Kingdom
    At any rate, he does address the "Named after your father" line, which you felt must have been written before the name Plenty O'Toole:
    "When Lana Wood appears at the crap table and says, “Hi, I’m Plenty.” Bond says, “Why, of course you are.” She says, “Plenty O’Toole.” He [Sean] asked me if he could respond, “‘Named after your father perhaps?’” I [Tom] said, “It’s a great line.” But the very fact that he asked me – I was (only) 27 years old – shows you the kind of way he goes about his work. He’s totally professional. Any other actor would just have tried it right in the take. I was amazed. It’s a good line, and it’s his line."

Wow, they didn't even have a joke in mind to pay it off? That is oddly ragged for them. No wonder it plays so strangely in the film.
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com

Maybe I'll get lucky and find a place where Tom confirms it... But I could be wrong, and there's just accidentally a better joke in a more literal reading of the line. Maybe all his jokes ended up that way...? :))

Yes, I've read that both Connery and Moore liked to ad lib lines or shoot several different lines until they got the right one. I don't know if that happens on the films now or if everything's more heavily scripted and set in stone but improvisations like that can end up being the best lines in the film!
    Dragonpol wrote: »

Yes, I've read that both Connery and Moore liked to ad lib lines or shoot several different lines until they got the right one. I don't know if that happens on the films now or if everything's more heavily scripted and set in stone but improvisations like that can end up being the best lines in the film!

For sure. The "Well, I certainly wouldn't have killed you before [I had sex with you]" line could have been a Roger ad lib. Mankiewicz was apparently never happy with how Rosie's death worked out.

Pretty sure QoS had some form of ad libbing going on at times...!

Wow, they didn't even have a joke in mind to pay it off? That is oddly ragged for them. No wonder it plays so strangely in the film.

Well, I don't see how it plays strangely, but I definitely don't think it's a great line. I'm sure Tom had some other line there or something. There wouldn't have been no reaction at all.

Indeed. Makes you wonder how the conversation was originaly planned to go...? If it was a man it would still be a bad name, but it would at least have made sense then. Giving a woman that name is just bizarre and one would assume there would be some kind of pay off...?
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Dragonpol wrote: »

I'm sure they still adjust lines while they're working the scenes out, yeah.
    And I bet you that there were no way as many of Roger's lines on the script pages which began with the word "Well..." than there were that ended up on screen! :)
    edited August 2021 Posts: 8,025
    I think after she says her name, Bond would have just said “really?” in a sort of flat and sarcastic tone. Like how he responded to Helga when she said “Mr Asato believes in a healthy chest”.

If it were Moore he would have likely raised an eyebrow.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    I think it needed a bit more otherwise she just sounds like a female impersonator.

Actually on second thoughts that might not be right: Sean’s line makes it seem that her name refers to what she or her dad has, but without that line perhaps it would be more that’s what she likes (I.e plenty of cock). That’s what Pussy’s name implies about her, after all. Sean’s line may well spoil it.
    I think after she says her name, Bond would have just said “really?” in a sort of flat and sarcastic tone. Like how he responded to Helga when she said “Mr Asato believes in a healthy chest”.

If it were Moore he would have likely raised an eyebrow.

I think this would have been the way to go, yeah. The joke, whether or not it's perceived or liked, is the name. An expression from Bond as his and the audiences expectations are subverted would be pretty good.

It just occurred to me: I wonder if this joke on Pussy Galore's name dates back to when Goldfinger's brother was meant to be the villain...? 🤔
    I think it needed a bit more otherwise she just sounds like a female impersonator.

Actually on second thoughts that might not be right: Sean’s line makes it seem that her name refers to what she or her dad has, but without that line perhaps it would be more that’s what she likes (I.e plenty of cock). That’s what Pussy’s name implies about her, after all. Sean’s line may well spoil it.

- "Hello, I'm Plenty!"
    - "Well, of course you are..."
    - "Plenty O'Toole!"
    - "Yes, that's what you want, isn't it?"

As horrid as it is, I wouldn't put it past Mankiewicz... :))
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill

I guess he probably lay down on the yacht in Skyfall too, but we don't see it :) When we see him on deck in the morning though...

He sits down in CR as well.
    Actually on second thoughts that might not be right: Sean’s line makes it seem that her name refers to what she or her dad has, but without that line perhaps it would be more that’s what she likes (I.e plenty of cock). That’s what Pussy’s name implies about her, after all.

That's an interesting idea, but Pussy's name isn't meant to imply that. Remember, the original screenplay had the lines as such:

"I'm Pussy Galore."
    "I know you are, but what's your name?"

• mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Actually on second thoughts that might not be right: Sean’s line makes it seem that her name refers to what she or her dad has, but without that line perhaps it would be more that’s what she likes (I.e plenty of cock). That’s what Pussy’s name implies about her, after all.

That's an interesting idea, but Pussy's name isn't meant to imply that. Remember, the original screenplay had the lines as such:

"I'm Pussy Galore."

Ian Fleming came up with the name.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom

He sits down in CR as well.

With the resignation? True, and he will again in NTTD.

"I'm Pussy Galore."

Well of course, but if Ian meant that implication, Richard Maibaum and co obviously did not. But I'm beginning to see why you find Plenty's name so flummoxing! :))

I'm reminded of a passage in the Bible where Jesus, discussing whether or not it's okay to eat "unclean foods" says, "It's not what goes into your body that makes you unclean, but what comes out of it." Now, this is obviously--aside from whatever the intended lesson about "sin" is--a poop joke. But it's rarely noticed to be one, or discussed as one. A particular flavor of devout believer, I suppose, prefers to think Jesus would not make a poop joke, and so things that should be obvious somehow are not.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom

"I'm Pussy Galore."

Well of course, but if Ian meant that implication, Richard Maibaum and co obviously did not.

They didn't come up with the joke though, they were trying to find other jokes to bolt on top of it. Eon want us to associate the name 'James Bond' with glamour and excitement, Fleming wanted it to be the dullest name in the world; however neither version is incorrect - you don't have to argue with everything.
    Ian Fleming came up with the name Pussy Galore for the name of his lesbian pilot. Argue with that all you want, you'll be wrong.
    But I'm beginning to see why you find Plenty's name so flummoxing! :))

I'm sorry you're confused.

I'm reminded of a passage in the Bible where Jesus, discussing whether or not it's okay to eat "unclean foods" says, "It's not what goes into your body that makes you unclean, but what comes out of it." Now, this is obviously--aside from whatever the intended lesson about "sin" is--a poop joke. But it's rarely noticed to be one, or discussed as one. A particular flavor of devout believer, I suppose, prefers to think Jesus would not make a poop joke, and so things that should be obvious somehow are not.

I'm sure some people think there are no blow job gags in FRWL or that Roger's last Moneypenny's office scene doesn't have a couple of the most schoolboy filthiest gags in the series smuggled in, but it's perfectly fine to enjoy them without spotting those.

They didn't come up with the joke though, they were trying to find other jokes to bolt on top of it. Eon want us to associate the name 'James Bond' with glamour and excitement, Fleming wanted it to be the dullest name in the world; however neither version is incorrect - you don't have to argue with everything.
    Ian Fleming came up with the name Pussy Galore for the name of his lesbian pilot. Argue with that all you want, you'll be wrong.

Well, yeah, that implication is there in Fleming. I'm not arguing with that. And indeed, the films repurpose all kinds of things from the books, and your example of Bond's name is a good one. But in both the original screenplay and the film, the name Pussy Galore clearly indicates what she represents to Bond. "I'm Pussy Galore" is really enough to make that clear, and certainly the original response of "I know you are but what's your name?" even more so.

• mtmmtm United Kingdom
    I don't even know what you're arguing with, it's relentless. Nowhere did I even mention the films when I said what Pussy's name suggests, but you had to argue with 'Pussy's name isn't meant to imply that'. Her name comes from the books; but you're always looking for some angle to create an argument, some way to interpret things so that you can disagree, it's exhausting.

Fleming's main intention is suggested heavily from her orientation, that's what I was comparing Plenty's name with, and it even makes Plenty's name work better as a gag. I'm sure he also had a double intention of just plain giving her a flirty name for people to enjoy (and Bond to see as a challenge)- it works on two levels. But I'm sure you'd even argue with the assertion that 'everyone is right'.

I don't even know what you're arguing with, it's relentless.

Sorry! O:-) With your apparent uncertainty about why Plenty O'Toole has her name (was it reverse engineered from the following line? No. Does it mean she likes lots of penis? Would it better suit a female impersonator?) I thought we were talking about the films. The name and scene make perfect sense to me as a sendup of Pussy Galore's name, with that being pretty much the whole joke.

Well, yeah, that implication is there in Fleming. I'm not arguing with that. And indeed, the films repurpose all kinds of things from the books, and your example of Bond's name is a good one. But in both the original screenplay and the film, the name Pussy Galore clearly indicates what she represents to Bond. "I'm Pussy Galore" is really enough to make that clear, and certainly the original response of "I know you are but what's your name?" even more so.

It's like when people complain about vulgarity in modern music, forgetting that Mozart composed a song titled "Lick my ass" (K231 if anyone wants to hear).