Controversial opinions about Bond films

Comments

• DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    edited August 2021 Posts: 23,562
    A matter of taste, of course. I absolutely love Bassey's voice. She brings a lot of power and I love how she can really hammer in words and make them sound important. She doesn't just sing "diamondsareforever" but hits every word in a different way:

DIE-monds . Are . FOR-EVER!

When she blows those pipes wide open on MR too, "Wheeere aaare you?", I can feel the energy build up inside me.

That's also one of the reasons I have a particular fondness for Lulu's TMWTGG. Lulu just gives it her all. Some say she's shouting her way through the song, I'd say she's just taking off like a rocket and won't stop building vocal momentum until the songs has reached its pinal note.
    DarthDimi wrote: »
    A matter of taste, of course. I absolutely love Bassey's voice. She brings a lot of power and I love how she can really hammer in words and make them sound important. She doesn't just sing "diamondsareforever" but hits every word in a different way:

When she blows those pipes wide open on MR too, "Wheeere aaare you?", I can feel the energy build up inside me.

That's also one of the reasons I have a particular fondness for Lulu's TMWTGG. Lulu just gives it her all. Some say she's shouting her way through the song, I'd say she's just taking off like a rocket and won't stop building vocal momentum until the songs has reached its pinal note.

I think that with different lyrics, TMWTGG would be remembered as a very decent title song. Unfortunately they let a group of kindergarten kids on a sugar high write it...
    jobo wrote: »

I think that with different lyrics, TMWTGG would be remembered as a very decent title song. Unfortunately they let a group of kindergarten kids on a sugar high write it...

That made me laugh, @jobo. But you are absolutely right! I guess since DAD, I stopped caring about lyrics. It's a road that can easily lead to darkness in the Bond realm. ;-)
  • w2bondw2bond is indeed a very rare breed
    I don't care about lyrics at all, and just roll with it. I think GF, TB, TMWTGG, MR, DAF, are all very *Bondian* songs. But Bondian songs are rarely favourites of the average person (see: LALD, AVTAK)
  • Last_Rat_StandingLast_Rat_Standing Long Neck Ice Cold Beer Never Broke My Heart
    All the Moonraker mentions made me think that MR is now my 3rd favorite film only behind GE and CR. My kids wanted to watch a Bond film with me the other night and I chose MR because they're fans of Star wars and thought it was appropriate from a violence standpoint. They loved it and I've always loved the film myself. But there's something about it that was always so fun and breezy about it, regardless of how it deviates from the source material. The effects, music, cinetography, it all just goes well for me.
  • All the Moonraker mentions made me think that MR is now my 3rd favorite film only behind GE and CR. My kids wanted to watch a Bond film with me the other night and I chose MR because they're fans of Star wars and thought it was appropriate from a violence standpoint. They loved it and I've always loved the film myself. But there's something about it that was always so fun and breezy about it, regardless of how it deviates from the source material. The effects, music, cinetography, it all just goes well for me.

Apart from the low plausibility factor (which is a problem in my opinion) MR is brilliant! From a technical standpoint, the set design, cinematography, special effects and of course Barry's score are great. Hugo Drax is a great villain too and Moore is in his prime.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    I think the action scenes in Spy Who Loved Me have a bit of tension and danger about them, which (PTS excluded) Moonraker's set pieces mostly lack, so I rank it just slightly below TSWLM because the excitement factor is marginally lower; but otherwise it's just pure fun and so easy to love, so I'd never knock Moonraker- it's wonderful.
  • mtm wrote: »
    I think the action scenes in Spy Who Loved Me have a bit of tension and danger about them, which (PTS excluded) Moonraker's set pieces mostly lack, so I rank it just slightly below TSWLM because the excitement factor is marginally lower; but otherwise it's just pure fun and so easy to love, so I'd never knock Moonraker- it's wonderful.

I have it 1 place below Spy at the moment
  • edited August 2021 Posts: 7,500
    mtm wrote: »

I think it's an issue with both films. It's all spectacle but no suspense. The tanker climax in Spy drags and so does the slightly ridiculous lazer action in MR. And it's very hard to take Jaws seriously when he is a clumsy buffoon. From a globetrotter standpoint I prefer MR. Venice, Rio, Iguazo falls, the Amazonas. They are superb locations and it's fun watching and knowing I've been to all those places. Drax is also the better villain, so MR takes it for me.

Edit: Oh, and the score is also massively in Moonraker's favor! Hamlich's score is frankly horrible, meanwhile MR is one of Barry's best.
  • ProfJoeButcherProfJoeButcher Bless your heart

They're sketchy, but I like them more than Goldfinger's lyrics because they at least accurately describe the character they're meant to be describing. Goldfinger's song doesn't sound like it's actually about Auric Goldfinger....
    I doubt this will count as a "controversial opinion", but: OHMSS great film with a snore of a theme song. Fine for use as a theme during action scenes in the film, but for the film's theme song ? Zzzzz, even though bombastic. Not saying there was any way to get lyrics together which would have referenced the title, but could have referenced the story, ie, the story of Tracy and Bond -- minus the ending.
    Since62 wrote: »
    I doubt this will count as a "controversial opinion", but: OHMSS great film with a snore of a theme song. Fine for use as a theme during action scenes in the film, but for the film's theme song ? Zzzzz, even though bombastic. Not saying there was any way to get lyrics together which would have referenced the title, but could have referenced the story, ie, the story of Tracy and Bond -- minus the ending.

I cannot agree with that. Especially with how the hands of the clock fall perfectly in sync with the music while the camera zooms out... I absolutely love that. I think the lack of vocals is furthermore a cool hint at something "new", a soft reboot perhaps, winking at the instrumental opener of DN. I honestly love OHMSS as the Theme "song" of the movie.
    I get all that, and also that the scenes from prior films were shown to help the audience feel this still is Bond, despite the change in actor...regardless, I found the song worked better as an action theme during the film, and the "highlights" during the credits to be more distracting and pointing out the change than helping. By the way -- I didn't care for the previous-films highlights during the credits of the new one, which was done in the GF opening credits, either,
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    That is a controversial one! :) I’m not sure I agree, but I can see where you’re coming from. I think arguably the instrumental title sequences maybe have a bit less impact- you just feel a bit more involved when someone is saying/singing words! :)
    Great observation, though instrumentals can serve quite well as themes -- as with DN, for one. But let's consider John Barry, and a romantic theme -- which would have worked for OHMSS -- Out of Africa. Consider the instrumental versions of the title theme in the soundtracks for TB, DAF.
    Ah I love the OHMSS instrumental. I expect that “on her Majesty’s secret service” was simply too difficult to make into a lyric? Stumped if I can think of anything which accurately rhymes with “service” anyway. “Furnace” is close I suppose. Difficult to write a song though…

Personally I really really like the TMWTGG theme too.

Not a single one of the modern songs works for me. Hate to say it but I haven’t heard a theme that’s clicked with me since MR.
    Since62 wrote: »
    I'd consider the OHMSS theme as a contender for my favorite theme and my favorite combination of Binder titles and Barry theme. That's what they came up with We Have All the Time in the World to have a romantic theme, but never would I want that as a title.

Because of having the cross-promotional marketing appeal of having a hot artist doing the title song so it can reach a broader audience, there's no chance we'll ever get another instrumental. They were 3-for-3 with the classics they did come up with, though.

They're sketchy, but I like them more than Goldfinger's lyrics because they at least accurately describe the character they're meant to be describing. Goldfinger's song doesn't sound like it's actually about Auric Goldfinger....
    The music for the GF title song is great but I agree the lyrics are kind of lazy. They make Goldfinger sound like Ted Bundy more than a man obsessed with gold. Also not a fan of Bassey's shouting at the end although I don't mind it in DAF.

What could've been really different and energetic is if they'd used the GF instrumental from the album as the title song. That's a really underrated song. I also like the energy of TMWTGG, always have.

Big difference here is GF is a beloved classic and the song was a hit, while TMWTGG is considered one of the less-loved films and the song wasn't a hit.

MR's theme lyrics are also a mess. Who is she singing about in the song, Bond? Why is the Moonraker referred to as a person? Two of those lyrics about dream of gold and his dream will come true someday sound like they're actually describing Goldfinger. Besides, MR is one of the least romantic films of the series. These lyrics could've been more appropriate for TSWLM.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    edited August 2021 Posts: 17,691
    The Man With The Golden Gun is the best Moore Bond because:
    Christopher Lee
    John Barry
    The quirky stuff
    Rog looked GREAT
    Goodnight rocked that bikini
    Killer song (intro/outro)

Plus the other films had some egregious mis-steps...
    In LALD Mr. Big pops like the balloon that doubled for him. What a cheesy let down...
    TSWLM had the character of JAWS in it. So badly comic-book-y....
    MR had, well, more nonsense messing it up than just JAWS....
    FYEO would actually be my favourite except for the stupid fake underwater bubbles in close ups, & the terrible disco score. *Can we remaster & fix this one, please??? It was almost perfect!!!*
    OP was a great & entertaining Bond except for the endless jokey BS & the somewhat cheap-looking In Like Flint style commando raid at the end. I could overlook the Tarzan yell...
    AVTAK is just where Rog looked a bit done with it all.

Re: the TMWTGG stuff-
    Slide whistle. A sound effect. It can easily be muted.
    Getting rough with Andrea/lack of tears over her death. An unfortunate hold over from the Connery era. Not a nonsensical narrative deal breaker for me, though. Bond isn't supposed to be a swell guy....
    The Kung Fu craze was briefly exploited here. Yeah, and so what?
    The fact that the Solex Agitator didn't change the world as we know it. So sue me.

That's MY controversial opinion. ;)

chrisisall wrote: »
    Christopher Lee
    John Barry
    The quirky stuff
    Rog looked GREAT

In LALD Mr. Big pops like the balloon that doubled for him. What a cheesy let down...
    FYEO would actually be my favourite except for the stupid fake underwater bubbles in close ups, & the terrible disco score. *Can we remaster & fix this one, please??? It was almost perfect!!!*
    OP was a great & entertaining Bond except for the endless jokey BS & the somewhat cheap-looking In Like Flint style commando raid at the end. I could overlook the Tarzan yell...

Getting rough with Andrea/lack of tears over her death. An unfortunate hold over from the Connery era. Not a nonsensical narrative deal breaker for me, though. Bond isn't supposed to be a swell guy....
    The fact that the Solex Agitator didn't change the world as we know it. So sue me.

"It's all a matter of perspective"

I could do the same for my favourite Moore entry Octopussy. It is the best entry because:
    - Mad Russian general excellently overplayed by BerKOFF!
    - Slimy charismatic villain, and a great villain ensemble
    - Fantastic Barry score
    - Solid, tense action
    - Moore plays it deadly serious for the most part ("Double sixes. Fancy that.")
    - The auction scene

LALD - flat cinematography and questionable inclusion of Pepper
    TMWTGG - Tonally doesn't know what it is - the Solex, the world's greatest hitman, kungfu??
    TSWLM - Bad B-grade horror movie score
    MR - Jaws
    FYEO - Bad B-grade disco 80's score
    AVTAK - A tired effort from all involved.

Not having a go at anyone, I find the variety in opinions fascinating and how one's tastes overlook flaws in favourites and magnify them in others. Or maybe supposed flaws aren't flaws in one's eye. I don't find any part of Octopussy offensive.

This is the only part I didn't like. It didn't pull it off well. But you could say the same for a lot of the bandwagon jumping the series does.

• chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    w2bond wrote: »
    Christopher Lee
    John Barry
    The quirky stuff
    Rog looked GREAT

"It's all a matter of perspective"

I could do the same for my favourite Moore entry Octopussy. It is the best entry because:
    - Mad Russian general excellently overplayed by BerKOFF!
    - Slimy charismatic villain, and a great villain ensemble
    - Fantastic Barry score
    - Solid, tense action
    - Moore plays it deadly serious for the most part ("Double sixes. Fancy that.")
    - The auction scene

LALD - flat cinematography and questionable inclusion of Pepper
    TMWTGG - Tonally doesn't know what it is - the Solex, the world's greatest hitman, kungfu??
    TSWLM - Bad B-grade horror movie score
    MR - Jaws
    FYEO - Bad B-grade disco 80's score
    AVTAK - A tired effort from all involved.

Not having a go at anyone, I find the variety in opinions fascinating and how one's tastes overlook flaws in favourites and magnify them in others. Or maybe supposed flaws aren't flaws in one's eye. I don't find any part of Octopussy offensive.

This is the only part I didn't like. It didn't pull it off well. But you could say the same for a lot of the bandwagon jumping the series does.

Excellent post sir, and a grand example of why we have different takes on the same series of films we basically love so much! The 'clown scene' in OP is one of the best in any Bond movie ever IMHO.
    Excellent post sir, and a grand example of why we have different takes on the same series of films we basically love so much! The 'clown scene' in OP is one of the best in any Bond movie ever IMHO.

I always say the clown costume is an excellent disguide for, you know, a circus...

The perfect make up etc is a valid criticism but most detractors overlook the tension in the scene, and the fact Moore plays it deadly serious
  • edited August 2021 Posts: 207
    Christopher Lee
    John Barry
    The quirky stuff
    Rog looked GREAT

I think The Man with the Golden Gun is a little underrated.

I have it my #3 Roger Moore movie. I love the way he plays Bond in this one. There are a couple of parts I think could have been changed or cut, but those scenes in Beirut and Macau are amazing and give off that spy feeling.
  • FatherValentineFatherValentine England
    All the Moonraker mentions made me think that MR is now my 3rd favorite film only behind GE and CR. My kids wanted to watch a Bond film with me the other night and I chose MR because they're fans of Star wars and thought it was appropriate from a violence standpoint. They loved it and I've always loved the film myself. But there's something about it that was always so fun and breezy about it, regardless of how it deviates from the source material. The effects, music, cinetography, it all just goes well for me.

Apart from the low plausibility factor (which is a problem in my opinion) MR is brilliant! From a technical standpoint, the set design, cinematography, special effects and of course Barry's score are great. Hugo Drax is a great villain too and Moore is in his prime.

Fully agree with both of these comments.
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    Zarozzor wrote: »
    Christopher Lee
    John Barry
    The quirkyhttps://www.mi6community.com/profile/echo stuff
    Rog looked GREAT

I have it my #3 Roger Moore movie. I love the way he plays Bond in this one. There are a couple of parts I think could have been changed or cut, but those scenes in Beirut and Macau are amazing and give off that spy feeling.

"Beirut" feels like a car park in Leeds!
  • MaxCasinoMaxCasino United States
    The Man with the Golden Gun does have some overlooked valves to the film, namely it’s realistic plot that could still work today.
  • I’ve always enjoyed Man With the Golden Gun despite its flaws. There are so many iconic moments throughout the film, and I really get a kick out of the dark, comic-book weirdness out of the Scaramanga’s whole deal, his fun house, and and Nic Nac. The locations are stunning too. Bond needs to go back to East/Southeast Asia soon (I feel Skyfall doesn’t really count considering most of that portion of the film is on Pinewood sets).
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited August 2021 Posts: 14,987
    echo wrote: »
    Christopher Lee
    John Barry
    Rog looked GREAT

Yeah that's a bit that feels like it's from an episode of The Saint: just saying you're in Beirut doesn't make me believe you! :D
    MaxCasino wrote: »
    The Man with the Golden Gun does have some overlooked valves to the film, namely it’s realistic plot that could still work today.

I still feel like the plot doesn't really hold up: Scaramanga is an assassin so Bond should be stopping him from assassinating someone. Also Bond and MI6's attitude seems to be that if a guy is bad enough they can just steal what they like from them, which is admittedly probably quite realistic, but not terribly heroic :)
    Christopher Lee
    John Barry
    Rog looked GREAT

Yeah that's a bit that feels like it's from an episode of The Saint: just saying you're in Beirut doesn't make me believe you! :D

I still feel like the plot doesn't really hold up: Scaramanga is an assassin so Bond should be stopping him from assassinating someone. Also Bond and MI6's attitude seems to be that if a guy is bad enough they can just steal what they like from them, which is admittedly probably quite realistic, but not terribly heroic :)

Exactly. That is what the plot should have been...an assassination, or series of assassinations.

The Solex subplot seems merely to be designed so Scaramanga can say the line about truly being the man with the golden gun.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited August 2021 Posts: 14,987
    Christopher Lee
    John Barry
    Rog looked GREAT

Exactly. That is what the plot should have been...an assassination, or series of assassinations.

The Solex subplot seems merely to be designed so Scaramanga can say the line about truly being the man with the golden gun.

Which might have been okay if he'd planned to use that gun, to blow up the moon or shoot down the space shuttle or something (I know there weren't shuttles then, but you know), but it's a pointless gun with no purpose and nothing to shoot at, and it turns out he wants to get out of the assassination business anyway and get into franchised power plants, which is a bit dull. He's not trying to destroy the world, he's a businessman looking to exploit a perfectly legal project which he has legitimately invested in (admittedly he murdered his business partner which makes him quite a git, but it's not really any of Bond's business). As evil plans go, it's not quite evil enough.
    LOL. Great summary.

In a way, it's like QoS--the plan just doesn't feel big or villainous enough. And QoS had the same problem with the double meaning of the title, and it doesn't quite work there, either.