Coronavirus Discussion

Comments

• DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    AntonleaG wrote: »
    Don't worry; you needn't accept a vaccine for Online PDF Editor. Somebody else will happily take yours. I won't argue with you about this anymore because, sadly, you have constructed your own reality in which vaccines are evil.

This is a very confusing post. I wasn't aware that we needed vaccines for online PDF editors. ;-)

All joking aside, yes, too bad some people still think of vaccines as evil.
    matt_u wrote: »
    So now Pfizer works 64% against the Indian variant. Great.

Hm... I was under the impression that a double dose of Pfizer would protect better than that. But I guess the research is still going on.
  • matt_umatt_u better known as Mr. Roark
    Yeah me too, now Israel is reporting this.
  • Last_Rat_StandingLast_Rat_Standing Long Neck Ice Cold Beer Never Broke My Heart
    I got some chills and aches after my second one last month. But hot damn it feels good to not have to wear a mask anymore
    Well, the magnetic effects were troublesome. I found myself sticking to rails and elevators everywhere I went. Also, I can feel the microbots transmitting personal information about me to "the corporations". And I keep buying farmaceuticals I don't need; it's like half of my brain is being controlled by Pfizer. And aliens are coming to abduct me. And there's the Deep State, and stuff, and such, and all that.

But otherwise, I'm doing very fine! ;-)
    Don't buy the fearmongering about the Delta variant, which we hear a lot these days. It isn't much to worry about, for most of us. It's like the flu. It may spread more easily, but so far evidence shows the CFR or case fatality rate of the Delta variant is only 0.1%, compared with double that for the original alpha variant, about 1.9%. And the IFR, infection fatality rate (your chances of getting it) would be less than 0.1%. You can look it up--many web pages quote the 0.1% figure.
    https://nypost.com/2021/07/08/dont-buy-the-hysteria-the-delta-variant-is-actually-less-dangerous/?fbclid=IwAR3vwTIb-QJCg1k71_FzM_wfQM6dZZHko2VXsMyoERDiB3no8rr47veMKig
    19th July - Freedom Day.
  • j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou. I can still hear my old hound dog barkin'.
    DarthDimi wrote: »
    Well, the magnetic effects were troublesome. I found myself sticking to rails and elevators everywhere I went. Also, I can feel the microbots transmitting personal information about me to "the corporations". And I keep buying farmaceuticals I don't need; it's like half of my brain is being controlled by Pfizer. And aliens are coming to abduct me. And there's the Deep State, and stuff, and such, and all that.

But otherwise, I'm doing very fine! ;-)

Well, just wait until Bill Gates activates those microchips. One side effect is known to be the sudden urge to go and buy the entire stock of tin foil at your local discounter.
  • j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou. I can still hear my old hound dog barkin'.
    Léa Seydoux was tested positive for Covid-19 before the Cannes Festival, in spite of allegedly having had a "complete" vaccination. Sorry, this is in German, but check for something in a language you understand: https://www.spiegel.de/kultur/kino/lea-seydoux-vor-geplantem-auftritt-in-cannes-positiv-auf-coronavirus-getestet-a-083fdeb2-558e-4852-9e7b-1de62a722038
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    edited July 2021 Posts: 17,727
    19th July - Freedom Day.

In England anyway, if not quite the rest of the United Kingdom.
  • edited July 2021 Posts: 1,469
    Crazy that California won't let students and teachers go without masks, even though the CDC says students and teachers in every state don't have to wear masks if they're fully vaccinated. One reason for the state's decision, according to California Health and Human Services Agency Secretary Mark Ghaly, is that "students should be able to walk into school without worrying about whether they will feel different or singled out for being vaccinated or unvaccinated". In my view, that is not following the science; it is being overly concerned with feelings. How about letting them all go without masks? It would be the same thing. No one would be singled out. The risk for kids is super low, and the Delta variant is much less deadly than previous variants.
    j_w_pepper wrote: »
    Léa Seydoux was tested positive for Covid-19 before the Cannes Festival, in spite of allegedly having had a "complete" vaccination. Sorry, this is in German, but check for something in a language you understand: https://www.spiegel.de/kultur/kino/lea-seydoux-vor-geplantem-auftritt-in-cannes-positiv-auf-coronavirus-getestet-a-083fdeb2-558e-4852-9e7b-1de62a722038

That's quite regrettable. I simply hope she won't end up too ill.

Momentarily, it seems quite clear that those who suffer from the recent increase in COVID infections are almost entirely unvaccinated people. So far, the vaccines seem to be holding up quite well.
    Right now, in France, the anti-vaxxers and anti-pass have started demonstrating (their right, not disputing that) and becoming violent (not their right). Two vaccination centers have been vandalized over the week-end, one by grafitti comparing vaccination with anti-semitic laws of the occupation, and one by arson.

https://www.jeanmarcmorandini.com/article-467885-coronavirus-un-nouveau-centre-de-vaccination-attaque-cette-fois-au-pays-basque-le-centre-d-urrugne-a-en-partie-brule-suite-a-un-incendie-qui-serait-volontaire.html

https://www.jeanmarcmorandini.com/article-467822-coronavirus-les-images-du-centre-de-vaccination-vandalise-a-lans-en-vercors-en-isere-avec-des-inscriptions-associant-vaccins-et-mort-regardez.html

headdesk.gif
    edited July 2021 Posts: 23,447
    Gerard wrote: »
    Right now, in France, the anti-vaxxers and anti-pass have started demonstrating (their right, not disputing that) and becoming violent (not their right). Two vaccination centers have been vandalized over the week-end, one by grafitti comparing vaccination with anti-semitic laws of the occupation, and one by arson.

That is truly horrible, especially since we're seeing everywhere, as predicted, that it's mainly unvaccinated people who still end up in hospitals, who suffer, who die. One wonders why antivaxxers, though constantly proven wrong, continue to fight their ludicrous fight, a fight they just cannot win. Let them forward each other stupid emails and links to dubious websites, but why try to deprive others of their jabs? Why set fire to a vaccination centre? That just doesn't make any sense! Aren't they always nagging about "freedom" and "choice" and "conspiracies" and all that? Well, what does setting fire to a vaccination centre amount to if not stepping on the freedom of smart people who want to get vaccinated and perpetuating the notion that these anti-vaxxers are the ones conspiring against our society with such acts of blatant terrorism?

This is wrong, pointless and above all just senseless violence coming from a sad minority of misguided people who take their truths from former playmates, dumb Hollywood stars, facebook and twitter rather than from doctors and virologists who actually went to school and know what the bleep they're talking about. I can't wait to get my second jab and even a third one if that should be necessary. Science, once again, prevails, while anti-vaxxers can join flat-earthers, moon-landing deniers and "alternative medicine" types in their foolish and unsubstantiated beliefs. I just hope they keep safe, because the delta variant is spreading like mad. They are basically walking into an enemy's line of fire, while "believing" that wearing a bulletproof vest will cause them more harm than the bullets being fired at them. It's just sad.
  • 007InAction007InAction Australia
    edited July 2021 Posts: 2,341

https://www.jeanmarcmorandini.com/article-467885-coronavirus-un-nouveau-centre-de-vaccination-attaque-cette-fois-au-pays-basque-le-centre-d-urrugne-a-en-partie-brule-suite-a-un-incendie-qui-serait-volontaire.html

https://www.jeanmarcmorandini.com/article-467822-coronavirus-les-images-du-centre-de-vaccination-vandalise-a-lans-en-vercors-en-isere-avec-des-inscriptions-associant-vaccins-et-mort-regardez.html

headdesk.gif

Crazy Protests in Australia too........... :-O :-O :-O

headdesk.gif

Crazy Protests in Australia too........... :-O :-O :-O

I seriously fear for the world at this point... X_X
    edited July 2021 Posts: 23,447
    @jobo, no need. Some ill-advised inertia from the 'masses' is always to be expected, sadly. But look on the bright side: an overwhelming majority of people is doing the right thing. That's just rarely the group of people we see on the news.

What caught my eye yesterday is the sad passing of one Stephen Harmon, a young man from California who had mocked Covid, rejected safety rules, and refused vaccines. He's dead now. Covid got him. The poor man had thought it wiser to put his faith in the Bible than in science.
  • edited July 2021 Posts: 5,772
    Got my second shot today. No ill effect (at least, none that I notice) apart from a slight pain in the left deltoid, like the first time. What bothers me, though, is that I have to wait a week to be able to go to places where the pass is mandatory, and that includes theaters. And I wanted to see Gunpowder Milkshake (or, as we call it in France, Bloody Milkshake. Yes, that's the french title, don't ask me). Let's hope it will still be playing sunday, or the week after that.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill

Morrison and Clapton don t care for the new fascism.

Morrison and Clapton don t care for the new fascism.

Clapton and Morrison may be great artists, but in this regard they are complete idiots. And so are their supporters. It isn't gonna stop me listening to their music, but it keeps me questioning their wisdom.
    'Fascism' has been given an odd meaning suddenly. Strange how the road to "freedom", so precious to certain people, is now practically being hampered by those same people. Yet the rest of us are fascists, apparently.
  • edited July 2021 Posts: 1,469
    I side with Clapton and Morrison.

By the way, here in the U.S., the CDC has pushed most of us to wear masks. But today Breitbart and the New York Post find, using the CDC's own numbers, if you're vaccinated and get a breakthrough infection, the average chance of dying is 0.00071%. Chance of being hospitalized is 0.0037%. Yet the Teachers union president Randi Weingarten says they're only going to "try" to open schools. Congressman Dan Crenshaw tweets, "Do not comply with lockdowns". I agree with him. However, if a person somewhere chooses to live in a state of perpetual and irrational fear, of course I have to concede that that is their choice.
    Thrasos wrote: »

By the way, here in the U.S., the CDC has pushed most of us to wear masks. But today Breitbart and the New York Post find, using the CDC's own numbers, if you're vaccinated and get a breakthrough infection, the average chance of dying is 0.00071%. Chance of being hospitalized is 0.0037%. Yet the Teachers union president Randi Weingarten says they're only going to "try" to open schools. Congressman Dan Crenshaw tweets, "Do not comply with lockdowns". I agree with him. However, if a person somewhere chooses to live in a state of perpetual and irrational fear, of course I have to concede that that is their choice.

I must agree with you here, @Thrasos. Most people in our countries will, by the end of the Summer, have been given ample opportunity to get a vaccine in their system. The vaccines are also working very well. At some point, we shall have to accept a < 100 % success rate and move on.

I don't really care about wearing a mask all that much--there are additional benefits to that as well, such as protecting us from the flu, as demonstrated half a year ago, and not having to smell other people's foul breath--but at least we can have schools open again, avoid heavy lockdowns, ... that is, until an as yet unknown new threat should arrive.

I bet this will all be difficult enough for some people, psychologically speaking that is. Yes, we have more or less been living in fear for nearly 18 months, with news updates punching hard every single day. Sanitary rules have become the new standard. And while, as an introvert, I can't say that social distancing was necessarily always a bad thing, most people have found themselves artificially insulated. To suddenly return to "normal" will take some time, I suppose.
    Clapton had said that he will not play any venue that insists on people showing vaccine passports. Bravo.
  • echoecho 007 in New York

Not exactly credible news sources.
  • Last_Rat_StandingLast_Rat_Standing Long Neck Ice Cold Beer Never Broke My Heart
    If they make a mask mandate again, at least I'll be able to crop dust grocery aisles without feeling bad.
  • edited August 2021 Posts: 1,469
    echo wrote: »

Well some would disagree. I read from those websites on a regular basis, among many others. The thing is, anyone with internet access can go to the CDC's own website as those sites did and use the CDC's own numbers on breakthrough cases.
    https://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/covid-19/health-departments/breakthrough-cases.html
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    edited August 2021 Posts: 12,459
    I'm back. So I've had 2 Pfizer shots; no side effects from either. I'll be getting an antibody blood test mid August and will let you all know if my body actually did kick in and make antibodies like it should. I'm very glad to be at this point. Pfizer is the one I have read about the most, and I'm quite relieved to be fully vaccinated with it today.

I don't believe any of the conspiracy theories I have read. Vaccines are lifesavers - polio, small pox, you name it. Somebody mentioned encephalitis - I am due for a booster for Japanese encephilitis and plan to get it soon. You don't want that disease, or lyme disease. I'll also get a booster tetanus shot before leaving Japan ... which will be next April.

Delta variant - yes, us fully vaccinated can still get sick from it, but we are (for the VAST, overwhelming majority of us) protected against death and other worse outcomes if we do get infected. Unvaccinated are risking their lives, long lingering Covid with complications we are just beginning to learn about, nd also will be spreading the virus far more than those who are vaccinated. I have no patience any more for anyone who is vaccine hesitant. The trials were done, the technology was already in place (without chips, thank you), and now - with real world data streaming in - there is no excuse, not able to reasonably argue that the top 3 vaccines are not safe.

So yeah, I am watching NTTD in a cinema in October and I could not be more thrilled about that! Fully double masked, not eating or drinking, in a luxury lounge chair theatre with space between the audience members. It will be heavenly! So glad EON held out for a theatre release and not throwing this together with HBO or Disney. Give me cinema only at first please and thank you. B-)
    So yeah, I am watching NTTD in a cinema in October and I could not be more thrilled about that! Fully double masked, not eating or drinking, in a luxury lounge chair theatre with space between the audience members. It will be heavenly! So glad EON held out for a theatre release and not throwing this together with HBO or Disney. Give me cinema only at first please and thank you. B-)

This. All of this. Yes! Absolutely agree with you, @4EverBonded!
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    echo wrote: »

Well some would disagree. I read from those websites on a regular basis, among many others. The thing is, anyone with internet access can go to the CDC's own website as those sites did and use the CDC's own numbers on breakthrough cases.
    https://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/covid-19/health-departments/breakthrough-cases.html

Well, I'm sure Mr. Murdoch agrees with you.

Here's a credible source:

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-health-coronavirus-murdoch/murdoch-receives-covid-19-vaccine-as-fox-news-host-casts-suspicion-on-campaign-idUSKBN28S2J7
    I'm afraid the idea of sitting in the cinema watching a movie with a mask on is unbearable to me, which is why I haven't set foot in a cinema since they reopened. Now with no mask mandate in the UK I can think about going back. But I reckon my first visit will not be until Bond in September.