Coronavirus Discussion

Comments

• SuperintendentSuperintendent A separate pool. For sharks, no less.
    edited September 2021 Posts: 870
    echo wrote: »

From your links:

"While the companies are protected from liability, the CRS notes, “individuals who die or suffer serious injuries directly caused by the administration of covered countermeasures may be eligible to receive compensation through the Countermeasures Injury Compensation Program,”

"In other words, a person cannot sue a manufacturer for an injury caused by a vaccine or other product listed as a countermeasure, but they can seek compensation from CICP filing a claim."

The initial post was about liability protection for vaccine manufacturers, not about filing a claim for compensation to CCIP, so it's not fake news. It shouldn't be too difficult to make a distinction between the two.

Edit: Just for the record, I am pro vaccine, but saying something is false when it's actually true, doesn't help the cause.
  • 007InAction007InAction Australia
    edited September 2021 Posts: 2,342
    More anti-lockdown violent protests here in Melbourne

This country is run by idiots............... :-O
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    More anti-lockdown violent protests here in Melbourne

This country is run by idiots............... :-O

It certainly is,and not all demonstrations need to end in violence. Example here.
    https://brandnewtube.com/watch/irish-lawyer-speaks-out-in-defence-of-human-rights-in-copenhagen-denmark_IERjMcmqKNsquB4.html
    Construction workers protest continues in Melbourne

Over 200 days in lockdown in Melbourne i've read that it's the most ever in the world............
  • matt_umatt_u better known as Mr. Roark

Over 200 days in lockdown in Melbourne i've read that it's the most ever in the world............

It all depends on how hard the lockdown is.

For example, when COVID emerged in Italy for the first time and we went into total lockdown, the first country to do that in the western world, it was absolutely forbidden to get out from home, except for buying food or medicines or go to the hospital. Everything was shut down. Everything, except supermarkets and pharmacies. Even construction sites. Everything. It was surreal. I live in the city center of Milan and the only things audible outside were the birds. Surreal. It lasted that hard for almost months. Obviously in Australia is not that hard, because with such a lockdown new cases would’ve been close to 0 in 60/90 days.
    matt_u wrote: »

It all depends on how hard the lockdown is.

For example, when COVID emerged in Italy for the first time and we went into total lockdown, the first country to do that in the western world, it was absolutely forbidden to get out from home, except for buying food or medicines or go to the hospital. Everything was shut down. Everything, except supermarkets and pharmacies. Even construction sites. Everything. It was surreal. I live in the city center of Milan and the only things audible outside were the birds. Surreal. It lasted that hard for almost months. Obviously in Australia is not that hard, because with such a lockdown new cases would’ve been close to 0 in 60/90 days.

In melbourne it's a hard lockdown like you had. This is the 6th lockdown i think.
    Travel limit of 5km and most things are closed .
    People break the curfew with parties and protests etc and the cases go up again....... 8-}
    The problem with Australia is they are aiming for zero covid. If you accept that covid 19 is now an endemic disease zero covid is unachievable, unless you are going to keep people locked up forever. Many countries are now accepting that we will have to live with a certain level of covid. Is Australia going to keep their borders shut forever, because as some as you open your borders covid will be there.
    cooperman2 wrote: »
    The problem with Australia is they are aiming for zero covid. If you accept that covid 19 is now an endemic disease zero covid is unachievable, unless you are going to keep people locked up forever. Many countries are now accepting that we will have to live with a certain level of covid. Is Australia going to keep their borders shut forever, because as some as you open your borders covid will be there.

You're right.

But the Ignorant running the country have only decided 1-2 months ago to ramp up vaccinations to end lockdown in 2 states here. 8-}

I remember at the start of the pandemic they were telling people here that masks don't make a difference........... :-B

Police respond with force to a third day of protests in Melbourne
    Australia did it right at the start but it’s not appropriate now. Hammering the virus early saved lives till the vaccines came along. Now it’s a case of jabbing our way out of it.

Interesting that case rates in uk have not rocketed thus far even though we’re back to fully open. Mind you we have 90% vaccine take up over 16.

Matt007 wrote: »
    Australia did it right at the start but it’s not appropriate now. Hammering the virus early saved lives till the vaccines came along. Now it’s a case of jabbing our way out of it.

Interesting that case rates in uk have not rocketed thus far even though we’re back to fully open. Mind you we have 90% vaccine take up over 16.

You're right about getting vaxxed and getting back to some "normal"
    The morons here running the country are useless............... :-O

Former premier accuses Victorian government of 'appalling' management of pandemic
    I don t know this Scottish historian, but I agree with several of his points.
    I don t know this Scottish historian, but I agree with several of his points.

I usually like this guy but while I agree with some of his observations he lets his poetic rhetoric gloss over his contradictions.

You can’t travel anywhere On Earth without “papers”. You can’t enter a pub or buy alcohol without “papers”. You can’t drive a car without “papers”.

It’s all very well lyrically describing how this has all been a waste of time if you have come out the other side. But if everyone had just mixed and clogged up the healthcare system then more people Will die of every disease for want of hospital space.

There are no good solutions. Just least bad ones
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    A virus doesn't care. It just seeks to replicate.
    Melbourne, still in lockdown...... :-O

Melbourne is set to become the unenviable world record holder for most days spent in hard lockdown.

Currently, Melbourne is set to remain in lockdown until the end of October, meaning the Victorian capital will break the world record.

The Argentinian city of Buenos Aires is the current world record holder with a whopping 234 days under hard lockdown.

Melbourne is set to reach 70 per cent first dose vaccinations on September 23 which will mark the city’s 235th day in lockdown
    edited October 2021 Posts: 2,342
    Andrews and his ministers ‘should be facing justice’ over charges against Vic health department

Hard to tell' if Daniel Andrews is 'serious about living with COVID'
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    We have had vaccine passports, rules for years. It's fine with me, add this vaccine to that list.
    We have had vaccine passports, rules for years. It's fine with me, add this vaccine to that list.

What type of vaccine passports have you had ?

Cops pounce at Melbourne protest as anti-vaccination chanters block traffic
    Police have pounced at an anti-lockdown and anti-vaccination rally as traffic was blocked by angry protesters in Melbourne.

https://www.news.com.au/national/victoria/news/antilockdown-protesters-preparing-to-march-on-melbourne-cbd/news-story/01436f4d18f87b54f9e3a34ccc0dc688
    I mean you cannot travel to certain countries and spend time there unless you are vaccinated for some diseases. I think that is true for African countries. I don't travel these days, but I will be in six months. Also true schools and colleges have required vaccines before, and I hope that continues also. As well as the military.
    Merck pill could cut COVID risk in half but won't be a 'miracle' cure for coronavirus, scientists say
    14de97392d54bf6cd7090b2d7e292387?impolicy=wcms_crop_resize&cropH=1286&cropW=2286&xPos=0&yPos=143&width=862&height=485
    https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-10-02/merck-pill-not-a-miracle-cure-for-covid-says-baylor-s-hotez/100509346
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    I mean you cannot travel to certain countries and spend time there unless you are vaccinated for some diseases. I think that is true for African countries. I don't travel these days, but I will be in six months. Also true schools and colleges have required vaccines before, and I hope that continues also. As well as the military.

Indeed, @4EverBonded. When my wife travelled to South Africa, she had to get a few vaccines in her system. I believe the same holds true for certain South American and Asian countries.
    Merck pill could cut COVID risk in half but won't be a 'miracle' cure for coronavirus, scientists say
    14de97392d54bf6cd7090b2d7e292387?impolicy=wcms_crop_resize&cropH=1286&cropW=2286&xPos=0&yPos=143&width=862&height=485
    https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-10-02/merck-pill-not-a-miracle-cure-for-covid-says-baylor-s-hotez/100509346

I'm happy with this development. Some institutes and companies closer to where I live have been working on similar pills as well. Evidently, anti-vaxxers won't be willing to swallow these either, since, well, "it's all going too fast" and such. ;-)
    edited October 2021 Posts: 2,342
    DarthDimi wrote: »

Indeed, @4EverBonded. When my wife travelled to South Africa, she had to get a few vaccines in her system. I believe the same holds true for certain South American and Asian countries.

I'm happy with this development. Some institutes and companies closer to where I live have been working on similar pills as well. Evidently, anti-vaxxers won't be willing to swallow these either, since, well, "it's all going too fast" and such. ;-)

It's a game changer.

For all of us who live in Melbourne.
    From tomorrow, Melbourne will surpass Buenos Aires, having spent a collective total of 246 days indoors, to become the world's most locked city.

Unbelievable...... :-O
    Portugal has no lockdown at all now and have almost everybody vaccinated. Yay for them!
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    In my part of the country, a staggering 94% of all teachers and almost the same percentage of 12+ students have been vaccinated. (Low vaccination numbers in our capital bring the national averages down.) And indeed, we can see the positive outcome already. Hardly any COVID infection was reported in any of the schools in our area last month, none even in my school (with over 1500 students and close to 200 teachers.) A rise in infections had nevertheless been feared, what with everyone coming back from travelling abroad and whatnot, but no problems so far. Masks are no longer mandatory in our schools; only social distancing and good hand hygiene are strongly recommended.

What is still feared is a rise in cases of flu and colds, especially with our masks off and people snuggling together again, a social warmth very much missed for such a long time. Either way, it's been a tough 18 months for everyone, and we cannot foresee what the future will hold, but right now I'm pretty proud of my fellow Flemish. Despite a few staunch anti-vaxxers insisting on dropping confused and ill-informed comments on the Internet, most of Flanders behaved quite disciplined and took its jabs when offered during the past year-and-a-half. COVID-related ICU cases are slowly in decline now and society is slowly reopening. For me, seeing NTTD in theatres tomorrow will be the first big step in a long phase of movie-going abstinence. ('Bombshell' was my last cinematic experience until now, and that was early 2020.)
    AstraZeneca launches new drug to prevent COVID symptoms

Pfizer launched a study of the drug in 2,660 patients last week. Its treatment is designed as a pill that is taken over five days at the first sign of infection or awareness of exposure to the virus, acting to block the activity of the enzyme the virus uses to replicate.

AstraZeneca’s vice-president of biopharmaceuticals R&D, Mene Pangalos, said products like AstraZeneca’s treatment will hopefully act as an additional option to protect against the virus, along with vaccines.

https://247newsaroundtheworld.com/news/astrazeneca-launches-new-drug-to-prevent-covid-symptoms/
    Authorised workers in Victoria have been given a reprieve after the Andrews government backflipped on plans to enforce a COVID vaccination mandate.

All Commonwealth employees as well as people who work in connection with court proceedings will be exempt with a government spokesperson saying the relaxation is an attempt to avoid “jurisdictional limitations”.

The change will apply to judges, lawyers, security guards and police officers. 8-}
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    The trouble with so many in Australia is that 'lock down' isn't what it's supposed to be.
    Until this issue is corrected it's likely to continue with pointless lock downs, and more people becoming infected. Luckily, the Covid vaccination roll out is on the up. But as has been mentioned. A 90% jab rate is far fetched and implausible.
    It doesn't help that nearly all the premiers are in opposing views of a road forward, and many if not all are using a political standpoint in dealing with the situation.
    I know our over praised premier, Mr. McGowan is starting to lose some of his popularity with his stance on hard border closures. Though he does appear to be more relaxed in putting us into lock down like he did, whenever someone all but sneezed!
    Western Australia are kidding themselves if they think they're going to keep the Delta variant out forever. The truth is would seem is that our health care would collapse under the pressure. Even though with have billions in the bank, and this current government have had three years to fix the problem.
    Hopefully we can eventually get to a point where it becomes clear to the powers that be, that opening up borders, when a large contingent of the community has been vaccinated is the way to go.
    When that will be, I don't know.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    Just had my 3rd Vaccine dose today (Booster) which are now available in the UK for Frontline Workers, just look on NHS/Booster website to see locally where you can book an appointment.
    For anyone contemplating giving their kids the shots, consider what one of the inventors of this new technique has to say about it while still available.

Banned from Twitter
    https://reclaimthenet.org/twitter-bans-mrna-vaccine-critic-dr-robert-malone/
    Third dose scheduled for next week. Wish me luck.

BTW, some singers here in France are incensed that concerts are subjected to rules as to the number of people who can attend, while political meetings are not. One of them even decided that he will declare his candidacy for the presidential elections of next year, and has posted the dates of his meetings, which are exactly the dates of his concerts. Meanwhile, in Paris, as of tomorrow, wearing masks outside (instead of just inside) will become mandatory once again. No lockdown in sight, though.

And I know I already posted that, but it's always interesting to know what our pets think about the situation. And so funny :

This man was the inventor of PCR testing, so it is worthwhile to hear what he had to say.