Coronavirus Discussion

Comments

• cooperman2 wrote: »
    I'm afraid the idea of sitting in the cinema watching a movie with a mask on is unbearable to me, which is why I haven't set foot in a cinema since they reopened. Now with no mask mandate in the UK I can think about going back. But I reckon my first visit will not be until Bond in September.

Before no mask mandate in UK you could have sipped on a coke for two hours and not wear one!
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    I'm fortunate in not minding masks at all. I have been double masked for more than a year and will continue for the foreseeable future. I can breathe fine. I found masks that fit me well. I teach, so there is no way I am without my mask on when in the school. I eat lunch by myself in a large storage area behind our stage in the hall, with window and back door open. I don't drink inside the school; I take my drink outside. Our school's design has a large overhang, porch effect on 3 sides. It is easy for me to be consistent. I definitely will be comfortable watching a film in a cinema while double masked. I usually don't eat or drink in a theatre any way.
  • DwayneDwayne New York City
    FYI (for those in the New York City area),

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/07/30/theater/broadway-audiences-vaccine-requirement.html
    https://gothamist.com/arts-entertainment/broadway-shows-vaccination-requirement

Producers of Broadway shows are adjusting their reopening plans to now require that all audience members—as well as anyone working at the theaters—must be vaccinated. This decision comes as city and state governments, as well as the federal government, will require that employees be vaccinated (or be tested for COVID weekly), and more businesses formalize their own vaccine mandates.

Patrons will also be required to wear masks inside the theater, except when eating or drinking in certain sections.

Children under age 12 who are not yet eligible for vaccines as well as "people with a medical condition or closely held religious belief that prevents vaccination" may present proof of a negative COVID-19 PCR test taken within 72 hours of the performance, the Broadway League added.

Ticket holders for shows through October 31st, 2021 will soon be notified by the theater owners; the group may review and potentially relax policies "if the science dictates."

It will be interesting if movie theaters begin to take this approach - despite the logistical issues that it would cause. Several weeks ago, I attended my first movie since the start of the pandemic in March 2021 and masks were optional, and I was not asked if I was vaccinated (I am, BTW). The only concession to COVID-19 being that we were asked by the staff to spread out as much as possible. Of course, there is a big difference in “risk” between a mid-week screening of a Bogart classic (“In a Lonely Place”), and the premiere weekend of a tentpole movie like NTTD.
  • matt_umatt_u better known as Mr. Roark
    This approach is what Italy already established. You can’t enter a movie theater if you’re not vaccinated (unless you’ve been tested negative within the previous 48 hours). They check the tickets, they check the certificate. Simple.
  • j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou. I can still hear my old hound dog barkin'.
    matt_u wrote: »
    This approach is what Italy already established. You can’t enter a movie theater if you’re not vaccinated (unless you’ve been tested negative within the previous 48 hours). They check the tickets, they check the certificate. Simple.

I guess the same applies to Germany...not that I know myself, really. I haven't had any desire to take part in any kind of "mass" gathering for the last 20 months or so. But I understand that today, people trying to take part in such events will have to be either vaccinated, recovered from Covid-19, or been tested negative the same day. And prove it somehow.

I've never ever been tested for Covid-19 myself at all. Neither PCR, nor any of those quick tests, by the way. But then I'm keeping away from events where I might need that anyway. I'll just rely on my J & J vax for the rest.
  • cooperman2 wrote: »
    Clapton had said that he will not play any venue that insists on people showing vaccine passports. Bravo.

Both Clapton and Morrison have well documented histories of jerkishness. I enjoy their music...but neither of them has shown himself to be worthy of our admiration in their personal lives.
  • Oh, and BTW -- mask mandates are starting to be re-instituted. I don't make up the news, I just report it. Any guesses as to when NTTD will be delayed again?
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    edited August 2021 Posts: 23,334
    I have not been a regular Cinema attender for years long before the pandemic, though after much thought I do intend to go to see NTTD at the cinema as its a tradition I want to continue (I have watched every Bond film at the cinema since 1983's OP).

I had my vaccinations in January and April respectively, I still get tested 3 times a week minimum (PCR and LFT). Both test's are ready available to me and if and when I feel I need to take a test for a large event I will test myself before and after.

Where I live mask's is a personal choice in most shops etc, I have chosen to continue to wear mask's for many reasons and will likely wear a mask at the cinema to watch NTTD.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    I have not been a regular Cinema attender for years long before the pandemic, though after much thought I do intend to go to see NTTD at the cinema as its a tradition I want to continue (I have watched every Bond film at the cinema since 1983's OP).

I had my vaccinations in January and April respectively, I still get tested 3 times a week minimum (PCR and LFT). Both test's are ready available to me and if and when I feel I need to take a test for a large event I will test myself before and after.

Where I live mask's is a personal choice in most shops etc, I have chosen to continue to wear mask's for many reasons and will likely wear a mask at the cinema to watch NTTD.

I appreciate that, @Fire_and_Ice_Returns! I honestly think that even if COVID were more or less "gone" (whatever that means in the near future), we can effectively reduce cases of the flu during its high season by applying a few simple sanitary rules, including and above all, wearing masks, at least in office spaces, on public transportation etcetera.
  • j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou. I can still hear my old hound dog barkin'.
    edited August 2021 Posts: 8,689
    DarthDimi wrote: »

I appreciate that, @Fire_and_Ice_Returns! I honestly think that even if COVID were more or less "gone" (whatever that means in the near future), we can effectively reduce cases of the flu during its high season by applying a few simple sanitary rules, including and above all, wearing masks, at least in office spaces, on public transportation etcetera.

It already happened. Recorded, diagnostically confirmed flu cases in Germany, as per end of April::

2019/2020 season: about 186,000, fatal casualties: 476
    2020/2021 season: 519, casualties:: thirteen
    j_w_pepper wrote: »

It already happened. Recorded, diagnostically confirmed flu cases in Germany, as per end of April::

2019/2020 season: about 186,000, fatal casualties: 476
    2020/2021 season: 519, casualties:: thirteen

Those are impressive numbers indeed. And I myself have felt the effect at school. Usually, students and teachers alike "fall" in great numbers during the flu season, but this year almost no cases of the flu were recorded.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Found this on YouTube yesterday. Funny how history repeats itself, no ?

And here's a mortician view on the crisis :

Yes, I like her. Her channel is always educational.
    Those two videos were awesome! And I am glad she pointed finger at the problematic leadership too.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    COVID-19 death: 'It's ripped our family apart'
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Site launched by Australian doctors.
    https://www.covidmedicalnetwork.com/default.aspx
  • 007InAction007InAction Australia
    edited August 2021 Posts: 2,353
    Site launched by Australian doctors.
    https://www.covidmedicalnetwork.com/default.aspx

Site launched by Australian doctors, 12 months plus late ?

The fools who run this country and those involved in the rollout of the vaccines have been sitting on their hands hence the low vaccs rate and therefore lockdowns now. >:P :-O
    edited August 2021 Posts: 23,544
    nr5pq5ztglv9.jpg
    ;-)
    nr5pq5ztglv9.jpg
    ;-)

With that reference you must be American ? :)>-
    I used to like fast food, but now i take my time with food... ;))
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    nr5pq5ztglv9.jpg
    ;-)

They still have warnings not to drink the contents on bottles of bleach too. Says a lot about the mentality of some people out there.
  • Last_Rat_StandingLast_Rat_Standing Long Neck Ice Cold Beer Never Broke My Heart
    Like the lady who tried to sue McDonald's years ago because she spilled "hot" coffee on herself. Hence that they had to put "caution, contents may be hot" on their cups
    Top health officials in the Biden administration are coalescing around an agreement that most Americans should get Covid booster shots eight months after becoming fully vaccinated, two sources familiar with the discussions tell CNN.
    https://edition.cnn.com/2021/08/16/politics/covid-19-booster-shots-biden-administration/index.html

Global health advocates are pushing back on the Biden administration's anticipated plans to start offering Americans a booster dose of coronavirus vaccine, arguing it will only deepen global inequalities.
    https://thehill.com/policy/healthcare/public-global-health/568294-biden-risks-global-backlash-on-covid-booster-shots
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    edited August 2021 Posts: 17,804
    Like the lady who tried to sue McDonald's years ago because she spilled "hot" coffee on herself. Hence that they had to put "caution, contents may be hot" on their cups

We made reference to that case in Tort Law when I was studying for my Masters in Law. Suffice to say you can get away with a lot more in terms of personal injury claims in the US than you can in the UK. One of my essays for that Torts module was on how the "compensation culture" was largely a myth caused by public misperception and the media reporting on US cases as if they were occurring here. The law and the reality are much more complex of course. In fact, our lecturer described understanding Tort Law as being akin to trying to lift mercury at room temperature with a fork. That sounds just about right to me! :)

I'd love to go along with that, but if I recall correctly trying to find the truth on snopes.com etc. a few years ago, it was not just "normally" hot coffee but some stuff that was extremely hot, so much that it burned her pantyhose into her skin on the thighs, because of a malfunction in the coffeemaker.

I don't know what really happened, but there are several scenarios that may be considered.
    edited August 2021 Posts: 2,353
    Melbourne lockdown protest turns violent, Sydney and Brisbane rallies prompt police response

Chief Health Officer Brett Sutton said it was being recommended that all children of primary school age wear masks indoors when not at home.
    Regional Victoria to enter lockdown at 1pm as Victoria records 61 new COVID-19 cases
    https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-08-21/victoria-records-61-new-cases-of-covid/100396036
  • matt_umatt_u better known as Mr. Roark
    Horrific and sickening.

Is this true? If it is, I'm absolutely appalled.