I've never noticed that before...

Comments

• Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    edited July 2021 Posts: 23,105
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTkyd8stedkwU1O1Gtvt7XozR4-2Letx6C3_Q&usqp=CAU

big-ron1.png?fit=640%2C464&ssl=1
    Big Ron was in the English Soap Eastenders, acting was not his strong point. There were quite a few jokey cringe worthy fights in the John Glen films, thankfully there were some good ones also.

---

TND really was a painful watch this time round, arguably the worst made film in the series. PB and Yeoh and the score the only good things in this one, admittedly the pre title sequence was fun. I was hyped watching TND at the cinema though being starved of Bond pre GE can effect ones mindset.
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    The scene in question with 'Big Ron' in AVTAK is without doubt the worst fight of the series. As far as I'm concerned. As stated previously it's not even clear why he (Big Ron) gets on the conveyor belt. Seemingly he does it of his own accord. Baffling stuff.
    The rock salt fight in Stacey's mansion later isn't much better and kind of falls into the same general category of older, incompetent henchmen. Another problem with AVTAK is Bond never gets to go against May Day as both are swept away by the current just as they are about to and conveniently become allies.

At least in TND, Bond goes directly against Stamper in the finale.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    BT3366 wrote: »
    The rock salt fight in Stacey's mansion later isn't much better and kind of falls into the same general category of older, incompetent henchmen. Another problem with AVTAK is Bond never gets to go against May Day as both are swept away by the current just as they are about to and conveniently become allies.

That's a good point actually. May Day is established as being a bit of a formidable martial arts opponent (although possibly undermined slightly by Max overcoming her?) so it is perhaps a bit surprising that Bond never comes up against her properly. Even a scene where he gets beaten up by her and escapes would have worked. Has 007 met his match? We never find out! :)
  • MalloryMallory Do mosquitoes have friends?
    mtm wrote: »
    BT3366 wrote: »

That's a good point actually. May Day is established as being a bit of a formidable martial arts opponent (although possibly undermined slightly by Max overcoming her?) so it is perhaps a bit surprising that Bond never comes up against her properly. Even a scene where he gets beaten up by her and escapes would have worked. Has 007 met his match? We never find out! :)

He certainly did meet his match... in between the sheets at least 😅
  • RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.
    https://www.mi6community.com/discussion/9128/dramatic-scene-of-qos-reenactment#latest
    OK, so......Spectre does justice for QoS!

The dramatic scene of QoS reenactment and the scene in the original QoS film has Yusef saying "please....make it quick!"

That's almost the same exact line Mr. White tells Bond when they first encounter in Spectre!!!! That's not a coincidence. Loved it!

Didn't think about this until I saw it pointed out by @dramaticscenesofQOS in another discussion some time ago.

I like this connection.

In SF, when Bond and Silva meet, Bond is wearing a dark suit and a white shirt. Silva is wearing a white suit and a dark shirt. Bond has short hair. Silva has long ones. Bond is sitting down. Silva is standing. Bond is manly. Silva is effeminate and flirtatious.

No but seriously, what a good scene.
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    edited July 2021 Posts: 17,728
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTkyd8stedkwU1O1Gtvt7XozR4-2Letx6C3_Q&usqp=CAU

big-ron1.png?fit=640%2C464&ssl=1
    Big Ron was in the English Soap Eastenders, acting was not his strong point. There were quite a few jokey cringe worthy fights in the John Glen films, thankfully there were some good ones also.

Yes, that's true. I was just thinking that myself. Big Ron (played by Ron Tarr) was a minor background character in the soap with few lines though he at least once had a bit of a storyline when he had a heart attack after being mugged I believe. I recognised him from EastEnders when I saw the film for a second time when I taped it off the TV in 1997. I did find that amusing, as well as the face he makes when he sees Bond. I also find it hilarious when the cord on the machine conveyor belt wraps around his head. It's one of those laugh out loud ridiculous Bond moments. Of course as a fight it's one of the worst from the Moore Bond films but I think it was filmed more as a silly short humorous sequence more than anything else.

Talking of EastEnders and Bond films I'm also reminded that when I went to see The World is Not Enough in the cinema in 1999 I recognised one of Renard's men on the submarine in the finale as someone who had appeared in a small role in EastEnders as I used to watch it when I was young and foolish. I think it was the one with blond hair though I haven't seen the film in a good while. So another little EastEnders Bond connection there. There may very well be others. I haven't watched EastEnders since 2000 though or another other soaps for that matter. One soon discovers that they are nothing but a waste of time.
  • ProfJoeButcherProfJoeButcher Bless your heart
    edited August 2021 Posts: 1,664
    I think this is the thread for this....

In the novel Live and Let Die, Ian Fleming infamously called one of the chapters "N----r Heaven". I always found this odd. While Fleming was clearly not any kind of visionary when it comes to race, to put it mildly, the racism of LALD seemed more of the well-meaning patronizing variety, and I didn't get why he'd call a chapter that. (There are passages in Goldfinger and Dr No that are much worse than anything in LALD)

Well, maybe this is already common knowledge, but reading linguist John McWhorter's wonderful book, Nine Nasty Words, I learned that there was a best-selling novel in the 1920s with the same name. It took place in Harlem and sort of served as a guidebook (presumably for white people) to the neighborhood. Fleming's chapter title is obviously a reference, and perhaps the novel was a reference for Fleming. Of course, it's still not a great idea to call a chapter title that, and Fleming is still occasionally problematic, but it's a little mystery solved for me why that chapter has what appears to be a needlessly and deliberately offensive name.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Safin s first name is Lyutsifer, which is clearly referring to Lucifer. But it is also reminiscent of Le Chiffre. Was Fleming also subtly alluding to Lucifer with that name?
    Safin s first name is Lyutsifer, which is clearly referring to Lucifer. But it is also reminiscent of Le Chiffre. Was Fleming also subtly alluding to Lucifer with that name?

Actually, it would make sense. Wasn't the character freely inspired by a satanist? Also, Le Chiffre could be an obscure reference to 666.
    Ludovico wrote: »

Actually, it would make sense. Wasn't the character freely inspired by a satanist? Also, Le Chiffre could be an obscure reference to 666.

It has been said that he was inspired by Fleming s aquaintance Aleister Crowley. Not sure that he was a satanist, though.
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    edited August 2021 Posts: 13,384
    Aleister Crowley. was a Major leader in the satanic movement, I'm guessing that
    Mocata from the devil rides out was also based on him.
    As far as worst fights in the series go, I believe the laser fight in Die Another Day has to be it. Nothing comes close IMO, AVTAK’s fights included.
  • CrzChris4 wrote: »
    As far as worst fights in the series go, I believe the laser fight in Die Another Day has to be it. Nothing comes close IMO, AVTAK’s fights included.

That one had slipped my mind. But yes, if there's one fight in the series that would top AVTAK's warehouse fight in cringe value, it would be the laser fight. We can throw the two scenes together in a green screen and have them duke it out there.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    I guess even though it’s very silly and quite bland, laser fight at least has a concept to it and a beginning, middle and end, and is vaguely coherently told. It’s not my favourite at all, but I think it’s a better piece of filmmaking than the AVTAK warehouse fight.
    Aleister Crowley. was a Major leader in the satanic movement, I'm guessing that
    Mocata from the devil rides out was also based on him.

Played I'm the movie adaptation by a Bond villain. And the hero is also played by a Bond villain. And on a side note, I love that horror film.
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    Rog is very aggressive with Maud Adams in both of their onscreen encounters.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    edited September 2021 Posts: 23,105
    Mack the Knife
    Bobby Darin

Oh the shark, babe
    Has such teeth, dear
    And he shows them
    Pearly white
    Just a jackknife
    Has old Macheath, babe
    And he keeps it
    Out of sight

You know when that shark bites
    With his teeth, babe
    Scarlet billows
    Start to spread
    Fancy gloves, though
    Wears ol' Macheath, babe
    So there's never, never a trace of red

Now, on the side walk, ooh Sunday morning, uh huh
    Lies a body just oozing life. EEK!
    And someone's sneaking round the corner
    Could that someone be Mack the Knife?

There's a tugboat down by the river, don't you know
    Where a cement bag's just a drooping on down
    Oh that cement is just, it's there for the weight, dear
    Five'll get ya ten, ol' Mackie's back in town

Now did ya hear 'bout Louie Miller?
    He disappeared, babe
    After drawing out all his hard earned cash
    And now Macheath spends, just like a sailor
    Could it be, our boy's done something rash?

Now, Jenny Diver, Suky Tawdry
    Oh, Miss Lotte Lenya, and ol' Lucy Brown
    Oh the line forms on the right, babe
    Now that Mackie's back in town

I said, Jenny Diver, oh Suky Tawdry
    Look out, Miss Lotte Lenya, and ol' Lucy Brown
    Yes, that line forms on the right, babe
    Now that Mackie's back in town
    Look out ol' Mackie is back!

I have never noticed a certain Bond Villains actress (also a singer) name mentioned in the above famous song until a few minutes ago.
    @Fire_and_Ice_Returns, it was Louis Armstrong who switched another character s name for that of Lotte Lenya in the 50s. He also did a duet version with her. Darin just stuck to the Armstrong version.
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    I find the parallels amusing.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    She was a famous singer after all.
    @Fire_and_Ice_Returns, it was Louis Armstrong who switched another character s name for that of Lotte Lenya in the 50s. He also did a duet version with her. Darin just stuck to the Armstrong version.

Cheers I never knew that.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Yes, didn’t the lyrics change… was it when Ella sang it and forgot the words? I can’t remember.
    edited September 2021 Posts: 17,728
    QBranch wrote: »

Yes, it's quite ironic Lotte Lenya featured in the lyrics of "Mack the Knife" given she'd later play an infamous Bond villain with a hidden blade in her shoe. John Barry also revealed in an interview that "Mack the Knife" was the angle they decided to take lyrically for the theme song of Goldfinger.
    Dragonpol wrote: »

Yes, it's quite ironic Lotte Lenya featured in the lyrics of "Mack the Knife" given she'd later play an infamous Bond villain with a hidden blade in her shoe. John Barry also revealed in an interview that "Mack the Knife" was the angle they decided to take lyrically for the theme song of Goldfinger.

And Lotte Lenya had of course performed in the play, and was married to Kurt Weil, the composer.

And Lotte Lenya had of course performed in the play, and was married to Kurt Weil, the composer.

Ah, that makes sense then. I knew she was famous for her stage work and that she was married to Kurt Weill but not much else. I did watch an interview with her once though where FRWL was briefly mentioned.
  • ggl007ggl007 www.archivo007.com Spain, España
    edited September 2021 Posts: 23,105

The knife was the first thing that occured to me, the Bond family is so broad that there are so many little connections within film, TV and music.
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    In DAD, when the air hostess (Deborah Moore) brings Bond his martini, she bends over right in front of the woman in the next seat. The woman looks up to see Deborah's butt in her face, then gives a stern look. I think there is actual contact made between said woman and said butt.

British+airways+first.jpg