Coronavirus Discussion

Comments

• ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    DarthDimi wrote: »
    Rubbish.

What a powerful rhetoric you have discovered there. :))

As if your own is any better.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    Rubbish.

What you dig yourself into a pile of every time you 'discuss' this topic, I'm afraid. But we still love ya. ;)
    Same .
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    chrisisall wrote: »
    Rubbish.

What you dig yourself into a pile of every time you 'discuss' this topic, I'm afraid. But we still love ya. ;)

Indeed, we're certainly getting our entertainment. ;-)
    It is very sad how social media has involved into a medium for conspiracy theorists...
    https://doctors4covidethics.medium.com/

These crazy doctors need to listen more to politicians, journalists and money men.
  • "doctors"
    Austin_Powers_-_Mike_Myers_Dr_Evil_1697x720.jpg
  • j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou. I can still hear my old hound dog barkin'.
    https://doctors4covidethics.medium.com/

These crazy doctors need to listen more to politicians, journalists and money men.

It will probably suffice if they listen to the vast majority of their colleagues and all serious scientists instead of to conspiracy freaks.
    I think we should build a website full of "expert" proof that sparkling water erodes your bones, increases the risks of a heart attack, causes infertility and more. Also, the bubbles are actually an alien gas that contains invisibly small robotic particles that crawl up your brains and form an undetectable network that controls your mind from outer space. Just wondering how many subscribers we'll get within 48 hrs.
  • j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou. I can still hear my old hound dog barkin'.
    I think we should build a website full of "expert" proof that sparkling water erodes your bones, increases the risks of a heart attack, causes infertility and more. Also, the bubbles are actually an alien gas that contains invisibly small robotic particles that crawl up your brains and form an undetectable network that controls your mind from outer space. Just wondering how many subscribers we'll get within 48 hrs.

Can I join you in your business model?

The sad thing is that even though you are writing this in jest, a vast number of people believe things that are just as crazy...
  • https://doctors4covidethics.medium.com/

Oh, NOW I get it. Finally. Everydamnthing that "Thunderfinger" writes is a put-on. It's a joke, son, a JOKE. And to think I'd been taking you seriously all this time...
    j_w_pepper wrote: »

Can I join you in your business model?

By all means. We can get rich, I'm sure. Let us publish books and sell T-shirts.
    jobo wrote: »

The sad thing is that even though you are writing this in jest, a vast number of people believe things that are just as crazy...

That is indeed sad. The Internet happened too soon. General wisdom wasn't ready for it yet. Medieval hocuspocus still rules.
    While in the middle of my corona vaccination, I'm getting jabbed with an entirely different vaccine very soon, namely one that will protect me against Tick-borne encephalitis. This infectious disease poses serious risks to the nervous system and its incidents are rapidly rising in Europe. For someone like me, who spends several hours every Summer day in long grass, amidst bushes and underneath trees, the risks are not exactly small. So a three-jab vaccine, with boosters every two years or so, is on the menu, starting tomorrow. Bring it, nurse. ;-)
    For someone like me, who spends several hours every Summer day in long grass, amidst bushes and underneath trees

Now you've piqued my curiosity! Why do you spend several hours a days lurking in the grass? Do you hunt humans for sport?

• DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    I've heard of encephalitis. It's a terrible illness. It's good that there's a vaccine against contracting it from ticks.
    edited June 2021 Posts: 23,449
    Revelator wrote: »
    For someone like me, who spends several hours every Summer day in long grass, amidst bushes and underneath trees

Now you've piqued my curiosity! Why do you spend several hours a days lurking in the grass? Do you hunt humans for sport?

@Revelator
    My dad owns a small meadow not too far from where I currently live. Since I was a boy I've spent many a good Summer day in the long grass, studying, reading, listening to podcasts or just escaping from the turmoil of every day life. I sometimes take my laptop there to do some writing for my job.
    The future missus has already inveigled me to spend less time there, because of ticks and the likes. Still, it's a thing for me. 😉
    But you are absolutely correct. I should start hunting people, the most dangerous game...
    edited June 2021 Posts: 8,656

@Revelator
    My dad owns a small meadow not too far from where I currently live. Since I was a boy I've spent many a good Summer day in the long grass, studying, reading, listening to podcasts or just escaping from the turmoil of every day life. I sometimes take my laptop there to do some writing for my job.
    The future missus has already inveigled me to spend less time there, because of ticks and the likes. Still, it's a thing for me. 😉
    But you are absolutely correct. I should start hunting people, the most dangerous game...
    My wife and I not only have a partially jungle-like garden/yard to take care of, but also two free-roaming cats that can come into the house (or leave it) when they feel like it *and* are allowed in our beds.

Small wonder I have had at least eight or ten ticks trying to get comfy in my skin (THIS year, as regularly), but most of them of the tiny kind that one can scratch out with a fingernail. Also fortunately, in our northern part of Germany the ticks don't carry the encephalitis virus...so far. What I apparently did catch ten years ago was lyme borreliosis, but my sudden erythema migrans caused me to see my doctor the next day, get a prescription for doxycycline and be through with it after a week or so.

I just know if that encephalitis gets closer, I'll get a vaccination too.

@Revelator
    My wife and I not only have a partially jungle-like garden/yard to take care of, but also two free-roaming cats that can come into the house (or leave it) when they feel like it *and* are allowed in our beds.

Small wonder I have had at least eight or ten ticks trying to get comfy in my skin (THIS year, as regularly), but most of them of the tiny kind that one can scratch out with a fingernail. Also fortunately, in our northern part of Germany the ticks don't carry the encephalitis virus...so far. What I apparently did catch ten years ago was lyme borreliosis, but my sudden erythema migrans caused me to see my doctor the next day, get a prescription for doxycycline and be through with it after a week or so.

I just know if that encephalitis gets closer, I'll get a vaccination too.

Lyme disease frightens me. But it's very good you'll get a tick-borne encephalitis vaccine too if that stuff comes too close to home. It's really marching across Europe right now.

And yes, @j_w_pepper, cats and ticks... I know the combination. ;-)
  • edited June 2021 Posts: 2,887
    Spending time in a meadow sounds very relaxing--far more so than hunting humans for sport. It's a pity nature has to mar her beauty for us by throwing in ticks and diseases, but she is ultimately indifferent to everyone, and everything in this world has at least one string attached.
    Spending time in a meadow sounds very relaxing--far more so than hunting humans for sport. It's a pity nature has to mar her beauty for us by throwing in ticks and diseases, but she is ultimately indifferent to everyone, and everything in this world has at least one string attached.

Beautifully phrased, @Revelator. All I can say is that even more so than its diverse animal kingdom and richness in plants, I appreciate the peace and quiet nature has to offer. An introvert like myself needs that time "off"; the world of man is a challenging place for me. I have dipped my toe in other ways of relaxing, but long grass, thick leaves and high trees remain my favorite setting for a little session of "clearing the mind".

But then, of course, some ugly little thingies can bite you in the a--uh, ego. ;-)

Meanwhile, and back on topic, it appears that two shots of Pfizer and Moderna offer ample protection against COVID for many years, indeed. This whole vaccination thing is shaping up nicely to become a historically unprecedented success.
    Meanwhile, and back on topic, it appears that two shots of Pfizer and Moderna offer ample protection against COVID for many years, indeed. This whole vaccination thing is shaping up nicely to become a historically unprecedented success.
    I sure hope that one jab of Covid-19 Vaccine Janssen (aka Johnson & Johnson) will also do the job... but I'll have to rely on that anyway.
    I sure hope that one jab of Covid-19 Vaccine Janssen (aka Johnson & Johnson) will also do the job... but I'll have to rely on that anyway.

You've got J&J? Nice. I certainly hope so too. Though vaccines don't necessarily make us perfectly immune against the virus itself, they seem to be keeping most infected people out of the hospital. In fact, what few complaints are registered, are mild indeed.

I think it's funny that people keep saying, "but what about two or three years from now?" in reference to potential side effects. Look, if a vaccine doesn't give us any trouble now, it's unlikely to ever do so. ;-)
    color-the-who-1971.jpg
    The World Health Organization laying new sinister plans.
    Got my first shot today, in a velodrome nearby. The fact that it got turned into a "vaccinodrome" didn't keep cyclists to train, so I got a shot and a show. Next shot : july 26th. Wish me luck.
  • 007InAction007InAction Australia
    edited July 2021 Posts: 2,341
    Gerard wrote: »
    Got my first shot today, in a velodrome nearby. The fact that it got turned into a "vaccinodrome" didn't keep cyclists to train, so I got a shot and a show. Next shot : july 26th. Wish me luck.

What brand did you get ? Any side effects ?
    Pfizer. None, apart from some pain in the deltoid.
  • Haven't posted in here for some time but thought I'd update: 2 doses of Moderna as of June 29! Only a sore arm and feeling tired the night of, next day was A-ok.
  • matt_umatt_u better known as Mr. Roark
    So now Pfizer works 64% against the Indian variant. Great.