Coronavirus Discussion

Comments

• RogueAgent wrote: »
    This may not be a popular position? But to me? Their should be no international travel until the planet is totally vaccinated to possibly the negate the ability of this virus to mutate so much?

If its sadly to do with a family berievement? Then allow travel should the the people affected wish to so? But? Obviously they would have to comply with UK quarrantine protocols.

This needs to be a worldwide cooperative response to a global problem.

Just not realistic, @RogueAgent. A good percentage of people refuse the vaccine.
    As long as you are fully vaccinated with 2 doses, you should be free to travel.
    All the people in our hospitals that have Covid are currently unvaccinated.
    RogueAgent wrote: »
    This may not be a popular position? But to me? Their should be no international travel until the planet is totally vaccinated to possibly the negate the ability of this virus to mutate so much?

If its sadly to do with a family berievement? Then allow travel should the the people affected wish to so? But? Obviously they would have to comply with UK quarrantine protocols.

This needs to be a worldwide cooperative response to a global problem.

Just not realistic, @RogueAgent. A good percentage of people refuse the vaccine.
    As long as you are fully vaccinated with 2 doses, you should be free to travel.
    All the people in our hospitals that have Covid are currently unvaccinated.

I agree, so ? Should unvaccinated people be allowed to travel internationally? Should this be a part of travel now as this virus is certainly going nowhere fast now?
  • I would say once all the restrictions are lifted, they could travel.. Each country would have their own rules, no different than now I suppose.
    It is a nightmare scenario for all.
  • matt_umatt_u better known as Mr. Roark
    I’m reading that in the UK new cases are doubling every week. Postponing the second dose it’s not a good idea against the Indian variant. I received my first dose of Pfizer a couple of days ago, here in Italy almost 50% of the population received the first dose. The goal is to fully vaccinate 80% of population by the end of the summer. My second jab is scheduled in a month.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    I'll get my first jab (Pfizer) about two weeks before my marriage. It'll offer me at least some protection, so I'm not complaining.
  • edited June 2021 Posts: 1,469
    I got my second Moderna jab on Monday. By early Tuesday morning I felt sick so I called in sick to work and ended up having to take three days off. Tuesday into Wednesday, I slept 20 hours, almost consecutively--couldn't do anything else. I don't know why I had such a reaction. I wasn't that serious about getting the shot but then thought better of it, since I'll be seeing my elderly parents this summer. Plus I want to see a woman friend later this month without our having to wear masks.
    DarthDimi wrote: »
    I'll get my first jab (Pfizer) about two weeks before my marriage. It'll offer me at least some protection, so I'm not complaining.

You mean protection from your to be wife?
    edited June 2021 Posts: 23,540
    jobo wrote: »

One never knows how the wedding night will go... I may at some point have to cordon myself off from the wild desires my natural charm will inevitably awaken in my wife.
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    Congrats again, Demi, and I'm sure your soon to be wife is already fully enthralled with your natural charm. Glad you two are finally tying the knot! :)

I'm here (after, I think, more than half a year off this forum) to say: FINALLY I have had my first vaccination. Yay! Pfizer, the one I wanted. 2nd dose on July 3rd. And to be able to watch NTTD in my fave luxury lounge chair theatre in October (it IS globally released in Oct, right??) is such a dream come true. I'm very psyched about this film! I am so glad EON held out for a cinema release and did not go HBO etc. I plan on viewing it more than once, too. However long it is in my area. Good to be back; just don't know how often I will pop in now. But yes, great news on NTTD and we all just shall carry on best we can.

One never knows how the wedding night will go... I may at some point have to cordon myself off from the wild desires my natural charm will inevitably awaken in my wife.

Oh, I know all about that problem! Fake acne I have found to be effective in keeping horny women away.
  • Last_Rat_StandingLast_Rat_Standing Long Neck Ice Cold Beer Never Broke My Heart
    Thrasos wrote: »
    I got my second Moderna jab on Monday. By early Tuesday morning I felt sick so I called in sick to work and ended up having to take three days off. Tuesday into Wednesday, I slept 20 hours, almost consecutively--couldn't do anything else. I don't know why I had such a reaction. I wasn't that serious about getting the shot but then thought better of it, since I'll be seeing my elderly parents this summer. Plus I want to see a woman friend later this month without our having to wear masks.

I heard that Moderna had worse side effects, so that's why I opted with Pfizer. Besides some tiredness and weakness the day after my 2nd shot last week, it was good. My employer is starting to make it difficult for those who choose not to vaccinate which pushed up my timetable to actually get it which has become widely available near me. Definitely skeptical at first, especially with it being more on the experimental side.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm

Hot, hot, hot! ;)
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    https://www.openvaers.com/covid-data/mortality

It took less than three months to surpass the number of deaths over the entire last decade.
  • SuperintendentSuperintendent A separate pool. For sharks, no less.
  • j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou. I can still hear my old hound dog barkin'.
    https://www.openvaers.com/covid-data/mortality

It took less than three months to surpass the number of deaths over the entire last decade.

Not surprised this came from you. I recommend e.g. https://vice.com/en/article/qjpmp7/anti-vaxxers-misuse-federal-data-to-falsely-claim-covid-vaccines-are-dangerous to put your new disinformation in perspective.
    After a slow start, we're suddenly going pretty fast here in Flanders. But the rest of the country, especially our capital of Brussels, is lagging far behind. The big issue seems to be the difficulty of reaching people who live in isolation as well as people who don't speak our language or live in a culture where superstition, anti-government sentiments and blind faith in dubious figures reign supreme. We do hope that social workers can set get to these people and convince them anyway. The vaccination campaign is a tremendous success; those who got their jabs rarely develop any complaints at all if they contract the virus. The few who still do are an absolute minority.
  • 007InAction007InAction Australia
    Australia's vaccine rollout has undergone a major shake-up.

The federal government has accepted advice from the Australian Technical Advisory Group on Immunisations (ATAGI) that the AstraZeneca vaccine only be administered to people aged 60 and above.
  • Last_Rat_StandingLast_Rat_Standing Long Neck Ice Cold Beer Never Broke My Heart
    Other nations just needs to get our vaccines that aren't being used. We have such an abundance that the Walgreens by my house where I got mine has every 15 minutes available for scheduling. When I see that coupled with Europe and other areas struggling to get some in, we just need to ship ours out so other can get it.
    edited June 2021 Posts: 4,343

The federal government has accepted advice from the Australian Technical Advisory Group on Immunisations (ATAGI) that the AstraZeneca vaccine only be administered to people aged 60 and above.

Same in Italy. It’s a problem, there’s a lot of confusion (some regions are against this decision) and as a result no one trust AZ anymore (90% of 60+ years old are refusing it). We will save those vaccines for migrants.
  • j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou. I can still hear my old hound dog barkin'.
    How shall we call the airline that is going to take back all the foreign fans of the UEFA EURO to their home countries from England?

....Delta Airlines, I'm afraid.
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    j_w_pepper wrote: »
    How shall we call the airline that is going to take back all the foreign fans of the UEFA EURO to their home countries from England?

....Delta Airlines, I'm afraid.

I'd call it stupid. These sorts of mass events shouldn't be prioritised until the vaccination programme is fully rolled out and the pandemic is fully over. People shouldn't be travelling over there either. It's not worth the risk to attend a sporting event, no matter how important people may think it is to be there.
  • 007InAction007InAction Australia
    matt_u wrote: »

Same in Italy. It’s a problem, there’s a lot of confusion (some regions are against this decision) and as a result no one trust AZ anymore (90% of 60+ years old are refusing it). We will save those vaccines for migrants.

Countries might abandon the AstraZeneca vaccine from now ?

That wouldn't be very smart.

So the UE is not very smart.

https://www.google.it/amp/s/www.euronews.com/amp/2021/05/09/european-union-opts-not-to-renew-astrazeneca-vaccines-contract-after-supply-row

https://www.google.it/amp/s/www.euronews.com/amp/2021/05/09/european-union-opts-not-to-renew-astrazeneca-vaccines-contract-after-supply-row

Indeed, the EU isn't smart at all. The risks after contracting Coronavirus are still thousands of times more serious than the risks after getting your AZ jabs. It's like the old seatbelt discussion: a seatbelt could potentially kill you, but without it, you expose yourself to a much higher chance of getting yourself killed.

I guess the many months of unfortunate communication surrounding AZ has besmirched the vaccine and the company to the point where people just don't want it anymore. I think the decision not to continue with AZ has less to do with the vaccine itself than it has with the logistical issues (deliveries etc.) and reputation damage of the vaccine.

Indeed, the EU isn't smart at all. The risks after contracting Coronavirus are still thousands of times more serious than the risks after getting your AZ jabs. It's like the old seatbelt discussion: a seatbelt could potentially kill you, but without it, you expose yourself to a much higher chance of getting yourself killed.

I guess the many months of unfortunate communication surrounding AZ has besmirched the vaccine and the company to the point where people just don't want it anymore. I think the decision not to continue with AZ has less to do with the vaccine itself than it has with the logistical issues (deliveries etc.) and reputation damage of the vaccine.

Indeed, the EU isn't smart at all. The risks after contracting Coronavirus are still thousands of times more serious than the risks after getting your AZ jabs.

You are only making this up.
    edited June 2021 Posts: 23,540

Indeed, the EU isn't smart at all. The risks after contracting Coronavirus are still thousands of times more serious than the risks after getting your AZ jabs.

You are only making this up.

I did for a moment consider replying with "convince me", but then I'd end up with links to dubious websites anyway. You are living in a different world than the rest of us, Thundy. But since I don't speak "anti-vax", I'm afraid I can't help you. I can say this, though. My small country has reached 25 000 Covid-related fatalities versus a mere few possibly vaccine-related ones. But hey, all those dead people? I'm probably just making them up, huh? I'd laugh if I didn't think the comment painfully insulting and obnoxious.
    Rubbish.
    Rubbish.

What a powerful rhetoric you have discovered there. :))

But back on topic.
    Other nations just needs to get our vaccines that aren't being used. We have such an abundance that the Walgreens by my house where I got mine has every 15 minutes available for scheduling. When I see that coupled with Europe and other areas struggling to get some in, we just need to ship ours out so other can get it.

That would be great, @Last_Rat_Standing. Things are going fast where I live. After months of slow starts, we're now going faster than ever. My fiancee got her Pfizer jab within mere hours since subscribing to a reserve list. I'll get mine tomorrow. We'll both have gotten our first injection about two weeks before our marriage. Hopefully, this will offer at least some protection.