Quick Big Mi6 Community Bond girl Ranking Game

Comments

• MonsieurMerciMonsieurMerci France
    what was the pic you chose for Christmas Jones ?
    I can't see it (403 error in your post) @GoldenGun
  • ProfJoeButcherProfJoeButcher Bless your heart
    Birdleson wrote: »
    I don't care about the nuclear scientist thing at all, I just find her annoying. And I guess I'm alone in finding her fish-eyed. Not attractive to me.

I've never seen a fish with eyebrows like those. Nearly at Connery levels...
  • I gave her fourth place. Who is the other superfan?

It s the weakest film, but she is one of the redeeming features. I don t understand why she couldn t be a nuclear physicist. There are no good arguments against.

I had Christmas at #4. There are few areas where TWINE lets me down, and Christmas and Richards' portrayal of the character are no exception. I've never understood the nuclear physicist criticisms myself. I find Richards entirely believable when talking about plutonium or tritium or whatnot. There have been some actresses in the series I haven't bought in their particular roles on account of their performances, but Richards is not one of them.

That's because of all the mean comments about Christmas. That picture is now verboten! Private! Closed!
  • GoldenGunGoldenGun Per ora e per il momento che verrà

That's because of all the mean comments about Christmas. That picture is now verboten! Private! Closed!

That's right, if you don't like Christmas you're not allowed to look at her :))

Kidding of course, the image went down on the original website I suppose, just uploaded a new one.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    edited May 2021 Posts: 8,009
    The rankings so far have been interesting. I'm glad Jill St. John was ranked so low. An irritating character brought to life with an irritating performance.

As for Richards? Well, I'm glad some slack has been given to her by many here. She's not a good actress, but I don't think Christmas Jones would have been fondly remembered regardless of who played her.

I had her at 23 but slightly regret putting her so low. I think 19 is about right.
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    I gave her fourth place. Who is the other superfan?

It s the weakest film, but she is one of the redeeming features. I don t understand why she couldn t be a nuclear physicist. There are no good arguments against.

Well, as you can see the average age for a nuclear physicist is 40 years old.
    https://www.google.com/search?q=average+age+of+a+nuclear+physicist&biw=1366&bih=657&sxsrf=ALeKk00Sua7Vo8bNaLncwFDGU7f2wV7QUA:1621676724911&ei=tNKoYN2UN6-I4-EP9fKfqAU&oq=average+age+of+a+nuclear+ph&gs_lcp=Cgdnd3Mtd2l6EAEYADIICCEQFhAdEB4yCAghEBYQHRAeMggIIRAWEB0QHjIICCEQFhAdEB4yCAghEBYQHRAeMggIIRAWEB0QHjoHCAAQRxCwAzoECCMQJzoGCAAQFhAeUIfUAVi26wFgvvwBaAFwAngAgAHkAogBkReSAQgwLjEuMTAuMZgBAKABAaoBB2d3cy13aXrIAQjAAQE&sclient=gws-wiz

I guess I just didn't buy into Richards in the role. Possibly from her past performances prior to TWINE. Maybe because she's not a great actress, but as per usual it's not a right or wrong answer. All based on preferences. ;)
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Benny wrote: »
    I gave her fourth place. Who is the other superfan?

Well, as you can see the average age for a nuclear physicist is 40 years old.
    https://www.google.com/search?q=average+age+of+a+nuclear+physicist&biw=1366&bih=657&sxsrf=ALeKk00Sua7Vo8bNaLncwFDGU7f2wV7QUA:1621676724911&ei=tNKoYN2UN6-I4-EP9fKfqAU&oq=average+age+of+a+nuclear+ph&gs_lcp=Cgdnd3Mtd2l6EAEYADIICCEQFhAdEB4yCAghEBYQHRAeMggIIRAWEB0QHjIICCEQFhAdEB4yCAghEBYQHRAeMggIIRAWEB0QHjoHCAAQRxCwAzoECCMQJzoGCAAQFhAeUIfUAVi26wFgvvwBaAFwAngAgAHkAogBkReSAQgwLjEuMTAuMZgBAKABAaoBB2d3cy13aXrIAQjAAQE&sclient=gws-wiz

I guess I just didn't buy into Richards in the role. Possibly from her past performances prior to TWINE. Maybe because she's not a great actress, but as per usual it's not a right or wrong answer. All based on preferences. ;)

I can also see that 16 % are in their twenties. Over 80 % are white, and an impressively growing number are women. She fits right in.
    Each to their own Thundy ;)
    Continuing our voyage with another American addition to the Bond girl pantheon:

TANYA ROBERTS
    as Stacey Sutton
    in A VIEW TO A KILL

VIEWTOAKILLUSLC3.jpg

Unfortunately for her, 3 members ranked her as the worst of the bunch. Six other bottom 5's were noted as well.

However, Stacey has her admirers too. She collected three top 10 finishes, including one 3rd spot. Four more top 15's were awarded to her as well.

Stacey Sutton managed to secure 96 points in total.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    Ow this is so sad. I agree that Stacey isn't the greatest and perhaps I am also somewhat affected by Tanya's recent passing but she is one of the main reasons why I enjoy revisiting AVTAK. I can't help it. I think she looks absolutely gorgeous in the film. But I guess this spot is fine. I clearly prefer blondes. 😉
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Top ten for me.
  • I figured Stacey was bound to pop up soon. As with Christmas, I guess I’m glad she ranked as high as she did. I understand why some might not like the character as Roberts was given an excessive amount of screaming to do, but she also plays Stacey with real warmth and charm. And yes, @DarthDimi, Tanya Roberts’ recent passing has led me to think even more fondly of her part in Bond. I didn’t place her top 10, but very nearly.
    edited May 2021 Posts: 6,758
    I really like Stacey. She was in my top 15. Sure she screams a bit too much, but I kind of fell in love with those eyes when I was a wee lad. Her beauty is very 80's and I really like that, she could have perfectly fitted a Miami Vice episode for instance. I find her extremely likeable as well, so that surely helps too of course.
    Our next reveal crosses the 100-points mark as we have a look at our #19.

LOIS CHILES
    as Holly Goodhead
    in MOONRAKER

59234_8.jpg?v=1616002331

Holly appears to be rather liked, without excelling too much. Ten finishes between the 11th and 15th places illustrate that.

Five bottom 5's were noted, though none of those were last places, making her the lowest ranked Bond girl without a bottom finish.

Three top 10's were also achieved, out of which one 5th place was her highest ranking.

In total Holly Goodhead collected 106 points.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    See, this isn't good. Holly is a very underrated Bond girl, in my opinion.
    I have her at 15th. Certainly deserved a slightly higher spot than this.
    I figured that this game would take an unusual line as far as the outcome.
    #22 for me. One of the dullest Bond girl performances.
  • royale65royale65 Caustic misanthrope reporting for duty.
    #21 for me, I'm afraid. Not really memorable in any sense. Holly just is. Competent and haughty though.
  • DwayneDwayne New York City
    I had “Holly Goodhead” at number 20. While I generally like Lois Childs, I don’t think that she has great chemistry with Roger Moore’s Bond. In a prior post, I commented that I’ve always found her performance in MR to be a bit “distant.” And IIRC, @Some_Kind_of_Hero replied that Ms. Childs was having some off camera issues at the time.

That said, if I could vote on this again, I would probably flip my rankings for Holly Goodhead and Barbara Bach’s Anya Amasova (number 17). Over the years I have come to find both of the characters and the actresses’ related performances to be underwhelming, with Ms. Bach’s slightly worse (but she is in a significantly better movie).

When It comes to MR, I vote for "Manuela (Ms. Emily Bolton)….always!!!

740full-emily-bolton.jpg

The next 5-8 reveals should be very interesting; we’re past the “low hanging fruit”, but not yet at the “Mount Rushmore” of Bond Girls.
  • Dwayne wrote: »
    And IIRC, @Some_Kind_of_Hero replied that Ms. Childs was having some off camera issues at the time.

Her brother passed from lymphoma during filming. She took a 3-year hiatus from acting after Moonraker.
  • royale65royale65 Caustic misanthrope reporting for duty.
    Dwayne wrote: »
    And IIRC, @Some_Kind_of_Hero replied that Ms. Childs was having some off camera issues at the time.

Her brother passed from lymphoma during filming. She took a 3-year hiatus from acting after Moonraker.

No wonder Lois was distant.
  • DwayneDwayne New York City
    Dwayne wrote: »

Thanks for the info.

I recall that the NY Times interviewed her around the time of Skyfall, and she came across as an especially nice person - which was at odds with my teenage impression from MR (I know: "Its' called acting for a reason"). IIRC, at the time, she was teaching in the Houston area.
    I had her at #8. Her looks do it for me; I think she was really "of her time" when MR came out; and I find her figure really filled out her spacesuit well. She gets some fight moves in. And she had good exchanges with Roger--she held her own without overshadowing him.
    Another one that I have always liked. I think she's vastly superior to Bach, but that's just me. Her relationship with Bond is better developed too I'd say, despite not having the superior back story.
    Holly Goodhead is one of my favorites! :(
    Jinx has to be next, right? I’m very surprised she held out this long. I have her at 24. Any other predictions?

Jinx was knocked out at #25 already, sadly.
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    Next: Kissy, Anya or Wai Lin.
    Jinx has to be next, right? I’m very surprised she held out this long. I have her at 24. Any other predictions?
    Jinx was knocked out at #25 already, sadly.

I miss and forget things these days.

That's ok!! I've got Pam next to go out, but I know she's got her fans.. Kissy or Wai Lin I wager.
    I’ll guess Wai-Lin is next. But I’ll take Severine or Camille as well.
    I would be completely stunned if Wai Lin was eliminated so quickly. My perception, nothing to do with my higher placement of her, is that she rates very highly among most Bond fans.