NEW 2021 UPDATES ON 'Quick Big Mi6 Bond Ranking Game': JOIN IN, FOLKS!

Comments

• QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    There's a lot of her on google images. A few photos too.
  • Max_The_ParrotMax_The_Parrot ATAC to St Cyril’s
    edited April 2021 Posts: 2,426
    I ranked MR at #22 and this is the highest I ever ranked it.

Now that’s progress! =D>
  • GoldenGunGoldenGun Per ora e per il momento che verrà
    Now that we all know where to look for more Corinne, we can safely dive into our top 15.

STARRING
    Roger Moore as James Bond 007

WITH
    Maud Adams, Louis Jourdan, Kristina Wayborn & Steven Berkoff

OCTOPUSSY

MUSIC BY John Barry
    DIRECTED BY John Glen

Octopussy-IP1983-s-1.jpg

OP's best ranking was 5th on one occasion, other top 10 entries included two 7th, one 9th and two 10th spots. With 12 more top 15 finishes, OP secured a spot in our general top 15 too.

Peculiar though, that it also ended up at the bottom for two members. One more bottom 5 finish was registered as well.

OP nevertheless collected 132 points in total.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    I'm actually quite surprised at that one. I always thought Octopussy was a fan favourite, and a recent re-watch had it go up in my estimations from 15th (funnily enough!) to 11th, which is a considerable jump. I even have it above Spy now!

GenuineMeatyGonolek-max-1mb.gif
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    I had the film at #15 too. :D

OP is a strong Bond film, IMO. It suffers from bad puns and terrible comedy here and there, but there's greatness in the film too. The circus climax, for example, has everything playing against it on paper, yet proves to be tense and very well acted out by Moore, in a clown suit no less. The film is incredibly tongue-in-cheek, but somehow it all congeals. This is a film in which Bond does Tarzan yells, dons a gorilla suit, cartoonishly fights thugs in a crowded Indian market, descends on Khan's palace in a Union Jack hot air balloon piloted by Q ... and yet I'm going with it all! None of this should be working for me! I hate the whistle in TMWTGG, I have issues with Q's field op in LTK and I resent all the goofy stuff in AVTAK. So how come I can be so forgiving of OP? Perhaps it's because I really dig Moore in this one, Barry is once again giving us a great score and Glen is in perfect control over this entire production. I like OP, very much in fact. Of all the "nonsense" Bonds, this one clicks best with me.
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    OP deserves better than this. I was expecting 13th maybe 12th.
    #13 for me. The 13th film. Lots to love here. A bit of naff stuff in the jungle, but otherwise a solid entry.
    Ah, this is disappointing.. I have it in my top 10,
    Moores best Bond movie imo. Has loads of great stuff in it. The pts a cracker, theme song is underrated, one of the best opening scenes, auction set piece, great villains, thrilling action and stuntwork, Moore is really good and has great chemistry with Maud Adams! Deserves to be higher!
    Definitely a favourite of mine as well! Moore is great in it, the Bond girls are top notch, Kamal makes an eloquent baddie, Orlov is hilarious, the score is great, the stunts are excellent, more Desmond is always good and I love the mixture of exotic escapism in India with the Cold War tension around the Inner German Border.

Also that Seiko! And the Alfa! I have a miniature of that Alfa exhibited in my living room actually.

OP is a clear top 10 for me, but in the end two people placed it at the bottom and those votes drag it down in the general rankings. Glad that it at least managed to make it into the top 15.
  • zebrafishzebrafish <°)))< in Octopussy's garden in the shade
    This time around I put OP at #15. The elephant chase, Tarzan yell, and Q sailing in with a Union Jack hot air balloon has always been too much for me. On the other hand it has many highlights more at home in a real spy thriller that are excellent. I think OP does not really know if it was to be a comedy or a thriller, and in the end the comedic aspects ruined it for me - with one exception: Bond disguised as a clown and trying to defuse a nuclear bomb, while the circus audience laughs at him, that's pure class!
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    GoldenGun wrote: »
    Definitely a favourite of mine as well! Moore is great in it, the Bond girls are top notch, Kamal makes an eloquent baddie, Orlov is hilarious, the score is great, the stunts are excellent, more Desmond is always good and I love the mixture of exotic escapism in India with the Cold War tension around the Inner German Border.

Also that Seiko! And the Alfa! I have a miniature of that Alfa exhibited in my living room actually.

OP is a clear top 10 for me, but in the end two people placed it at the bottom and those votes drag it down in the general rankings. Glad that it at least managed to make it into the top 15.

Two people placed OP last!
    Name names GG. ~X(
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Also a middling entry for me. I enjoy it a lot, but it isn t among the creme de la creme. Still, the best of the 80s Bonds.

It managed to just about squeeze into the top ten in the tournament thread, in a joint position.
  • Sorry fellas, I didn’t place OP last but it was #20 for me. I just find it kind of a slog if I’m being honest. The stunt work towards the end is pretty great, but this one is in that awkward sour spot of being too silly to be enjoyed as a grounded Cold War thriller, but too grounded to be enjoyed as something silly. I enjoyed it a little more on my most recent watch, enough to put it ahead of Spectre this time around, but I’d be lying if I said I saw what those who champion this film see in it.
  • I admittedly have OP quite low it my rankings, not that I don't like it; plenty of great moments and Moore is really enjoying himself but less restrained than he was in FYEO.
    Ranking is tough, would have many ties if it was allowed ;)
  • I gave Octopussy a long overdue viewing recently and despite the ridiculous elements mentioned, I think it's the quintessential (but not best) Moore-era outing. Moore is at his most comfortable in what should've been his swansong. The film has the groundwork for a classic caper and the stunt work involving planes, trains, automobiles, rickshaws, hot air balloons, and horses has got to be one of the most diverse collections of action scenes in the series. This would be an upper-half Bond film and Moore's best for me if the plot were a bit tidier and with those 4-5 silly elements removed. Overall, I find 15th spot a fair placement.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    OP is one of the most underrated installments of the series, in my opinion. It can get very cheesy and ridiculous, especially with the blunt, lazy stereotypes, but it all somehow works. It's exotic and ludicrous, exciting and emotionally charged, and that "race to the bomb" finale (I wasn't always that big on the actual finale, though it's definitely grown on me in years past) is one of the most intense sequences of the entire series for me. Don't sleep on this one, it's prime entertainment and so damn good.
  • Max_The_ParrotMax_The_Parrot ATAC to St Cyril’s
    Benny wrote: »
    Name names GG. ~X(

book-em-danno.gif
    Name names GG. ~X(

book-em-danno.gif

Ha ha! Freedom with consequences.
    GoldenGun wrote: »

Name names GG. ~X(

Not sure, I think they're on the economy tour.
  • goldenswissroyalegoldenswissroyale Switzerland
    I ranked OP in the middle, #13. The sillier moments are not a problem for me (apart from that gorilla suit...). So many great scenes in the first hour after the main titles: the dark beginning with a clown in the forest, the presentation of Orlov, the auction at Sotheby's and the Backgammon “it's all in the wrist“: probably my favourite Roger moment. Furthermore, there is some fantastic stunt work in the second half of the movie.
  • Junglist_1985Junglist_1985 Los Angeles
    edited April 2021 Posts: 1,006
    Wow my list is scarily on-target with this one... OP has so much to love, but I think it’s written off by the general public and causal fans due to the silliest moments (bond theme snake charmer, Tarzan yell, tennis match, boob cam, sword swallow, gorilla, clown, etc). I think once you watch it enough times you become immune to the silliness and campiness, thus focusing on the greater picture. That being said, beautifully shot, scored, and produced film — and somehow Roger looks even younger here than in FYEO. He just looks so in his comfort zone. Fantastic villain and Bond girl too of course.
  • I’m afraid I was one of those who placed OP in last place. The clunky comedy, Tarzan yell and Union Jack air balloon are big factors in this. But I also don’t really rate the villains much either - if you compare it to AVTAK in that regard I think it suffers. The racial stereotyping makes it a tough watch for me personally, too.

Saying that, I do like it - I like all Bond films. Agree that the clown sequence is tense and well done.

Does this mean I get run out of town now?
    I’m afraid I was one of those who placed OP in last place. The clunky comedy, Tarzan yell and Union Jack air balloon are big factors in this. But I also don’t really rate the villains much either - if you compare it to AVTAK in that regard I think it suffers. The racial stereotyping makes it a tough watch for me personally, too.

Saying that, I do like it - I like all Bond films. Agree that the clown sequence is tense and well done.

@Benny will pay a visit with his yo-yo saw.
  • Hahahaha. I’ll fend him off with my tennis racket.
  • Junglist_1985Junglist_1985 Los Angeles
    I’m firmly in the “re-cut/re-edit Octopussy” camp. The silly moments that drag the film down literally make up less than 2-3 minutes.
    You have to ride a bicycle through a fight scene and look oblivious doing it.
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    OP is perpetually underrated. It's the best original story that Eon has come up with to date...yes, I know it's kind of inspired by POAL and OP the story gets a brief mention, but really it's all new.
    Next up, another entry that has more fans on here than anywhere else:

STARRING
    Daniel Craig as James Bond 007

WITH
    Olga Kurylenko, Mathieu Amalric, Giancarlo Giannini & Gemma Arterton

QUANTUM OF SOLACE

MUSIC BY David Arnold
    DIRECTED BY Marc Forster

65654.jpeg

QOS is the highest ranked film with bottom finishes, in this case on two occasions. Another five bottom 5 finishes made it fall out of the top half.

It did however grasp a top 15 spot as it managed to secure one 3rd, one 4th and two 5th spots. Six more top 10 placements and another seven top 15's confirm it still fares reasonably well in these parts.

QOS secured 137 points in total.
  • goldenswissroyalegoldenswissroyale Switzerland
    I'm exactly in the average. Number 14 for me.
    Ah damn, more disappointment!
    QOS is securely in my top ten. Always an enjoyable watch. Wonderful scenes and set pieces.
    Craig is superb, Olgas lovely, beautifully shot, thrilling action, love Mathis character! I will always champion it!
    Love that poster you used, GoldenGun!