DC Comics Cinematic Universe (2013 - present)

Comments

• Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    edited March 2021 Posts: 23,327
    Birdleson wrote: »
    I just found out today that Pierce will be playing Dr. Fate, one of my favorite secondary characters going all the way back to reading the second JLA/JSA Team-Up in the '60s when I was very young. This news actually made me giddy, as embarrassing as that may be. Perfect casting. I don't know why I am so happy over this. Dalton already makes and excellent Chief on DOOM PATROL. And I believe that George was Jor-El on SUPERBOY.

I finished watching both seasons of DOOM PATROL recently had some great concepts, Dalton was excellent as always. Its a shame the 2nd season finished abruptly because of the pandemic I believe, though 3rd season is in production thankfully.

I have all the Superboy episodes, the George one is fun.

ECnN2MdVUAAKoAh.jpg
    People will recognise Lara
    They were fake parents of Kal
  • MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”
    edited March 2021 Posts: 8,025
    DarthDimi wrote: »
    As a DC fan, I must admit that I have mixed feelings concerning WB. There's the good:
    • They continue to be in support of good animated output (although I feel like the quality of said output is in decline);
    • They gave Nolan a second Dark Knight film despite BB "underperforming";
    • They allowed a Donner Cut of S2 and a Snyder Cut of JL;
    • They didn't shy away from a ballsy project like Joker (2019);

But there are some pretty bad moves in their track record also:
    • Allowing the Salkinds to throw Donner out after the amazing achievement of Superman: The Movie;
    • Taking their Batman '89 success in strange and then even stranger and campier places with its sequels, giving weird mandates and losing touch with the comic book universe altogether;
    • Discontinuing the planned "Superman Returns" series (which, in a personal note, I might add is a film I truly like, thought very well cast and beautifully shot, and continue to appreciate as a really good Singer film);
    • Running Ayer's SS into the ground (though I doubt there was ever a "great" SS in the first place);
    • Going bonkers with JL in 2017;
    • Never properly finishing Beware The Batman (another very personal thing, this);

I'm not saying others would have done better. And I am quite satisfied with most of the films in the DC Universe. It's just that when WB interferes and goes 'stupid', it goes 'stupid' in a big bad way. The Donner thing is Warner's biggest sin, I think. I know they only distributed the Superman movies, but they could and should have put way more pressure on the Salkinds to keep Donner onboard.

The Donner situation was really nothing WB could have done anything about. To be clear, WB actually sold the movie/TV rights to the Salkinds which gave them full creative authority over the films. The only real involvement WB had was when it came to marketing and distribution. This is why when the opening credits start it always opens with ALEXANDER SALKIND PRESENTS rather than WARNER PICTURES PRESENTS. There’s even that time when the Salkinds decided that they did all they could with the property and sold it to Cannon Films, which is what lead to SUPERMAN IV.

WB would not regain all the rights to Superman until 1992, which is what immediately lead to LOIS & CLARK and the cancellation of the Salkinds’ SUPERBOY TV series.

Ironically, Donner has had a better relationship with WB than he ever had with the Salkinds. Look at his resume and he has a very long history with that studio, providing them major hits as both a producer and director from GOONIES, THE LOST BOYS, LETHAL WEAPON, FREE WILLY, MAVERICK, etc. Perhaps had WB actually been in charge instead of the Salkinds, the studio would have likely shown more loyalty to Donner and let him run the Superman franchise no different than they let him direct all four Lethal Weapon films.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    I stand corrected. 😉
    Given how hated BvS was by critics and fans, I don’t blame WB for being reactionary towards SUICIDE SQUAD and JUSTICE LEAGUE. David Ayer and Zack Snyder were not good fits for the adaptations they were assigned to and were rightfully phased out. WB had to be out of their goddamn minds looking at Leto’s LA gangster Joker with all the tattoos and say “fans will love this!” Then again they approved Eisenberg’s Lex Luthor too, bafflingly.

That said, WB was also stupid to have JL fast tracked for production literally a month after BvS was released, because there was no time to process what happened and everything was locked in.

But that’s all in the past now. WB now has a more promising future (aside from JJ Abrams)

Fans love BVS.Especially the ultimate cut.If they didnt then there wouldnt be such a clamour for the Snyder Cut of JL.Also,the recent Imax releaseof the film on 4k sold out everywhere in the states.
    Snyder’s fans are very passionate, so of course they love his stuff and did a lot to push the Snyder Cut. That doesn’t mean they make up a large enough audience to invest in even more films.

Ultimately, they got their Snyder Cut and should be grateful WB decided to finish it instead of leaving it collecting dust. It’s more than David Ayer will ever get.
    Snyder’s fans are very passionate, so of course they love his stuff and did a lot to push the Snyder Cut. That doesn’t mean they make up a large enough audience to invest in even more films.

Ultimately, they got their Snyder Cut and should be grateful WB decided to finish it instead of leaving it collecting dust. It’s more than David Ayer will ever get.

[url="[youtube]
    I’m sure they love it.
  • GadgetManGadgetMan Lagos, Nigeria
    I watched Batman v Superman recently and I discovered that even with the film's problems, I enjoyed and was more interested in scenes that had Ben Affleck and Jeremy Irons. I really don't know what the film would have looked like without Batfleck, because I think his presence helps the film. I just find myself caring more about him.
    Iv always loved BVS as well as MOS and now ZSJL.They are a good contrast to the more formulaic and kiddy friendly MCU.Thats why im not at all interested in James Gunns The Suicide Squad as the trailer makes it look like a farce with non stop jokes,slapstick,and garish colours.
    AstonLotus wrote: »
    Iv always loved BVS as well as MOS and now ZSJL.They are a good contrast to the more formulaic and kiddy friendly MCU.Thats why im not at all interested in James Gunns The Suicide Squad as the trailer makes it look like a farce with non stop jokes,slapstick,and garish colours.

That could be a problem with the trailer. Birds Of Prey got a terrible trailer, yet the film was okay.
    AQUAMAN must have been torturous for you.

If you are speaking to me, then no, I'm quite fond of that film, to be honest. :)
  • GadgetManGadgetMan Lagos, Nigeria
    edited March 2021 Posts: 4,247
    Aquaman was quite good. I think its fast pace really helps it.

If you are speaking to me, then no, I'm quite fond of that film, to be honest. :)

Nah, that was at Lotus and his remarks about kiddie friendly and garish colors. ;)
    Some interesting plot holes and continuity errors in JLTSC are listed here. I must admit the article's list makes a lot of sense to me though I am always willing to accept some of those errors, especially when substantial reshoots or the addition of new dialogue were out of the question. I guess an imperfect film, to me, isn't necessarily the same as a bad film.
    I actually binged Man of Steel, BvS:U and ZSJL over the last two days with the wife. Its a blast back-to-back-to-back and all ties in together so nicely.
    Some interesting plot holes and continuity errors in JLTSC are listed here. I must admit the article's list makes a lot of sense to me though I am always willing to accept some of those errors, especially when substantial reshoots or the addition of new dialogue were out of the question. I guess an imperfect film, to me, isn't necessarily the same as a bad film.

I’m willing to let the inconsistencies with later films like Aquaman’s trident or exposition bubbles slide since I think of ZSJL existing in its own bubble.

However, the stuff with Darkseid seemingly “forgetting” that the anti-life equation was on the ONE planet where he was defeated is an oddity, and something I would have hoped Snyder might have fixed with additional shootings in 2017.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    I would have just excised the anti-life equation subplot from the film entirely and kept the Motherboxes as the threat. We wouldn't have lost anything substantial narratively, but would have trimmed the film by another ten minutes.

Get rid of the last half of the epilogue on top of that and that's got us down to nearly three and a half hours.
    One thing I think the theatrical cut did right was to show that it was Steppenwolf that lost Earth and that’s why he’s trying to redeem himself in the eyes of Darkseid.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited March 2021 Posts: 14,948

I’m willing to let the inconsistencies with later films like Aquaman’s trident or exposition bubbles slide since I think of ZSJL existing in its own bubble.

However, the stuff with Darkseid seemingly “forgetting” that the anti-life equation was on the ONE planet where he was defeated is an oddity, and something I would have hoped Snyder might have fixed with additional shootings in 2017.

I must admit I didn't 'get' what the Anti-life thing was. It seemed to be a big crop circle that got mentioned once and then picked up again a couple of hours later (by which time I'd forgotten it), but I had no idea what it was or where it came from and it was a magical macguffin slinged into the plot when they already had one: the Motherboxes. Silly powerful alien things hidden on Earth which would allow the baddie to destroy the world if he finds them. I can swallow one magical macguffin, but adding another 'silly powerful alien thing hidden on Earth which would allow the baddie to destroy the world if he finds it' which somehow you don't have time to explain, use, or even show other than in a dream sequence in four hours of screentime would suggest to me that the plot doesn't need it. It's like Avengers Endgame saying 'oh there's actually ten more infinity stones hidden under the carpet but we'll come to those later' halfway through.

I thought that this Snyderverse edit was fun though (thumbnail kind of spoils it completely, but what the hey):

• ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    The one thing I preferred in the theatrical cut of JL was the beginning. The Batman scene there was awesome.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    The one thing I preferred in the theatrical cut of JL was the beginning. The Batman scene there was awesome.

Yes, I enjoyed that (especially the Frank Miller poses) and I thought the Snyder one really suffered by not having Batman show up until two hours into it. Keaton has thrown Jack Nicholson off a church by the time Affleck puts a cape on! :D
    Well, even at four hours, they want to set so much up and provide so much background, they really have to take their time lest things feel rushed. I agree that a little Batman at the start of the film mightn't have hurt, but I'm having fun with everything else I'm seeing so I don't really mind. And when the Bat finally arrives, he leaves quite an impression. Also, I'm really happy with the time spent on Victor, Diana, Arthur and Barry, as well as on Steppenwolf. Batman and Superman had already had one or even two films of their own (and Wonder Woman one as well), so I think it was wise to push them back a little from the opening chapters of this film.

The pace of this film feels a lot like that of the 3.5 hour cut of Watchmen. Snyder takes his time, he's patient, he creates pauses and he allows his film to breathe. He doesn't succumb to the pressure of needing a good action beat every five minutes. Even then, there's so much going on in this movie anyway, lack of action certainly isn't an issue. ;-)

But yeah, Batman comes in rather late.
    I actually barely noticed that Batman doesn't show up til just before halfway through.

I enjoyed the Bruce Wayne out-of-costume scenes and yeah, as @DarthDimi points out, those first couple of hours were needed to set-up the other new characters. No issues on that front at all, for me.

Though of course, if it were my film and I could trim all the above mentioned subplots and weaker moments and use that time to have a nice Batman opening scene instead, I'd definitely do it! Nobody is ever going to say no to more Batman.
    Nobody is ever going to say no to more Batman.

I want that on a T-shirt! :D
    Nobody is ever going to say no to more Batman.

I want that on a T-shirt! :D

I'll put a word in at the printers!

They'll have to be large orders, to avoid suspicion. Say, uh, ten thousand?
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Well, even at four hours, they want to set so much up and provide so much background, they really have to take their time lest things feel rushed. I agree that a little Batman at the start of the film mightn't have hurt, but I'm having fun with everything else I'm seeing so I don't really mind. And when the Bat finally arrives, he leaves quite an impression.

Yes and no, because when he does arrive it's with the rest of the bunch. He doesn't get a solo introduction like WW, Aqua and Superman do. (can't remember when we first see Flash in cossie, might be at the same time?).

The WW in London scene is so strong (obviously you have to ignore the silliness of suicide bombers using a timer, but never mind! :) ) that it's a shame they couldn't do a bit of that for some of the others. She's kind of the only one who feels like a proper heroic superhero for a lot of it.
    mtm wrote: »
    Well, even at four hours, they want to set so much up and provide so much background, they really have to take their time lest things feel rushed. I agree that a little Batman at the start of the film mightn't have hurt, but I'm having fun with everything else I'm seeing so I don't really mind. And when the Bat finally arrives, he leaves quite an impression.

Yes and no, because when he does arrive it's with the rest of the bunch. He doesn't get a solo introduction like WW, Aqua and Superman do. (can't remember when we first see Flash in cossie, might be at the same time?).

True. His 'solo' introduction comes as Bruce Wayne mounting a horse in Iceland. My feeling is that Snyder always focuses more on a "here's Bruce Wayne, y'all!" moment, while the Batman is just there. In BvS, we get a powerful shot of Affleck stepping out of a helicopter; Batman is first seen as a dark figure in the shadows from the POV of a nervous police officer. In JL, Affleck gets a few impressive shots in Iceland, while Batman is suddenly there on the roof of the GCPD headquarters. Snyder does, however, give Batman some impressively framed solo moments later in both films. But you're right, @mtm, there aren't any dramatic DUM DUM DUUUM! introductory shots for Batman like what we got in the Burton film or BB for example.

Then again, this is the case in most JLA product I have consumed so far, both in comics as well as in animated films. Batman is usually "just there". ;-)
    Batman shows up two hours because this film isn’t even properly overly paced or edited, it’s just Snyder meandering in needle drops, slow mo, and unnecessary elongation of scenes.

I think in a proper edit, we don’t see Batman or the heroes suited up until the one hour mark. That allows plenty of time for the heroes to be introduced.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    edited March 2021 Posts: 23,327
    Contains Spoilers...