DC Comics Cinematic Universe (2013 - present)

Comments

• Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    The JL 2021 score did not bother me in fact it has improved with further viewings. Its a fantasy film, and fantasy score's are usually over the top.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    This is rather lovely. Trailer tomorrow I think.

ExXFWxmWQAcooPv?format=jpg&name=large
  • MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”
    The JL 2021 score did not bother me in fact it has improved with further viewings. Its a fantasy film, and fantasy score's are usually over the top.

I found it took me out of the film more than bring me in. The woman wailing in the soundtrack made me burst out laughing because it was so ridiculously overplayed and turned the film into an unintentional parody.

I did not have that issue with MoS or BvS, probably because of Hans Zimmer’s involvement.
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    I admit, outside a couple instances of the operatic Superman theme and that dreadful Wonder Woman theme, I completely missed all the rest of the film's score.
    Superman’s theme even felt less rousing this time. I don’t think Junkie XL knows how to give it the right punch.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Superman’s theme even felt less rousing this time. I don’t think Junkie XL knows how to give it the right punch.

I only noticed it in the more downbeat moments (I think one of the many scenes where Lois Was Sad, and the one where they came with the idea to revive him when they were standing around the box) and I thought it was pretty effective there to be honest. I didn't notice a rousing version, but I do think it's a fairly effective theme. A bit like his Nolan Batman one, it's really economical but it produces a good effect with only a few notes.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    edited March 2021 Posts: 23,327
    https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cbr.com/zack-snyder-justice-league-reference-excalibur/amp/
    This explains a lot, Excalibur is one of my favourite films also. Boorman created a visual Masterpiece with Excalibur.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    mtm wrote: »
    This is rather lovely. Trailer tomorrow I think.

ExXFWxmWQAcooPv?format=jpg&name=large

That is a great poster.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cbr.com/zack-snyder-justice-league-reference-excalibur/amp/
    This explains a lot, Excalibur is one of my favourite films also. Boorman created a visual Masterpiece with Excalibur.

Weren’t the Waynes watching Zorro at the movies?
    They were. The 1940s film. Excalibur was promoted as “coming soon” at the theater entrance.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Ah I didn't spot that.
    The Suicide Squad Red Band Trailer

Anyone else notice a certain actor from QoS?
    General Luiz Medrano
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    That trailer had me at King Shark. I love King Shark. I'm so looking forward to this film.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Heh, that does look very enjoyable.

I like the way they don't feel they can say 'from the director of Guardians of the Galaxy' :D
    DarthDimi wrote: »
    That trailer had me at King Shark. I love King Shark. I'm so looking forward to this film.

I don't think it was the best trailer as in the way it was put together though looking forward to the film.

King Shark and Starro I am in.

I like the way they don't feel they can say 'from the director of Guardians of the Galaxy' :D

They did squeeze a Marvel reference into JLTSC though. 😉 A certain tombstone says Ben Parker.
    This looks SO much better than the crappy original Suicide Squad film.
    I even considered Birds Of Prey a better film than SS.

They did squeeze a Marvel reference into JLTSC though. 😉 A certain tombstone says Ben Parker.

Of course on the memorial when The Flash and Supes are fighting. Apparently it was not intentional, I watched something recently that pointed it out.

Of course on the memorial when The Flash and Supes are fighting. Apparently it was not intentional, I watched something recently that pointed it out.

In a film about absent fathers, I have difficulty believing it was not intentional. But I take your word for it.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    So I haven't followed this at all: this isn't a sequel is it? They're just having another crack. But Margot Robbie is just staying on because she's good casting?

In a film about absent fathers, I have difficulty believing it was not intentional. But I take your word for it.

I will try and remember which video it was I heard it on, the guy claimed Snyder said it was pure coincidence though I think you are right, I don't think its a coincidence personally.

Edited: It may have been Kevin Smith on Fatman Beyond Podcast. I have watched a dozen Spoiler reviews of JL in the last week.

I will try and remember which video it was I heard it on, the guy claimed Snyder said it was pure coincidence though I think you are right, I don't think its a coincidence personally.

Edited: It may have been Kevin Smith on Fatman Beyond Podcast. I have watched a dozen Spoiler reviews of JL in the last week.

Kev Smith, god bless him, is one of those go-to people for honest reviews. :)

Kev Smith, god bless him, is one of those go-to people for honest reviews. :)

Marc Bernardin was surprisingly critical of JL and said he would not watch it again. Kevin Smith loved it, to be honest Kevin Smith loves literally everything he watches lol
    Because Snyder decided to follow his indulgences above all else, I don’t think there’s any point in comparing the two cuts because they both served very different purposes, as in the theatrical was edited to be seen in theaters while Snyder’s is edited with HBO Max in mind where people have the ability to pause, fast forward, rewind, etc.

I really wish he would have tried to deliver a cut that would have most likely reflected what his version would have been in November 2017. Because it would NEVER have been four hours. That would have made the comparison more interesting.

There needs to be a middle ground.
    So I haven't followed this at all: this isn't a sequel is it? They're just having another crack. But Margot Robbie is just staying on because she's good casting?

Think of it as a soft reboot. Not ignoring what came before, but rather going by the drum of its own beat.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    I look forward to The Suicide Squad and I hope that WB/DC continue to shake up and rotate the roster both in front and behind the camera for future sequels, should they happen. Keep it fresh.
    It’s an interesting situation that’s for sure. The original film made a lot of money at the box office which was pretty cool for what was a largely unknown to the public comic title, and yet at the same time it’s the most hated DCEU film aside from the theatrical cut of JL. WB was right to retool this rather than completely abandon it. There is absolutely a good movie to be mined from the concept of the Suicide Squad. Hopefully Gunn found a way to make it work better than the original.

One flaw of the first film is that the end of the world stakes were too insanely high for such a group. I’ll be curious if they lowered it to something reasonable.
  • GadgetManGadgetMan Lagos, Nigeria
    That's a very good trailer. Love Idris Elba in anything. But its very jovial take, makes it look like a Marvel film though.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited March 2021 Posts: 14,947

Think of it as a soft reboot. Not ignoring what came before, but rather going by the drum of its own beat.

Cool thank you, that makes sense. I can’t think of that happening before: a sequel sort of not wanting to be seen as a sequel and distancing itself from the original. Can anyone think of another?
    I guess you could say Superman Returns was a sequel/reboot, but really that was keen to associate itself with the originals.