No Time to Die production thread (MINOR SPOILERS ALLOWED)

1102510261028103010311080

Comments

  • TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports
    Posts: 4,147
    GadgetMan wrote: »
    I wonder if Mendes missed Roger Deakins though. I know Deakins doesn't write scripts. But maybe if Deakins were to be with Mendes again, it might have spurred Mendes on to do something great. I look at 1917 and I can't believe it's the same man who directed SP.

    I seem to remember the following (I am too lazy at the moment to research all of it to be sure LOL):
    • The last draft of SP was delivered to Mendes in late summer in 2014 and he was not happy with it at all.
    • Significant revisions continued through Fall.
    • Jez Butterworth was brought on to continue revisions in early November, just a few weeks ahead of filming.
    • The film went into production in December without the script being done. Mendes wanted to delay filming but EON pushed on (I do believe that the lessons learned here were applied to NTTD, on which filming was delayed signifiantly as the script was still being revised)
    • Certain scenes and shooting locations were already established and couldn't be changed, as writers worked on revisions.
    • For some reason, perhaps contractually, the film's climactic scene had to take place on Westminster Bridge. Therefore, the writers were further limited in the third act.

    All of this, I am sure, really chafed Sam Mendes's arse, as he and the crew were attempting to top what they'd done with SF.
  • MalloryMallory Are you ready to get back to work?
    Posts: 1,200
    @TripAces With regard to Westminster Bridge, they had already fully built the set. So had to use it.

    I believe a similar thing happened with NTTD, when Boyle was working on it, they had either fully or partially built a prison gulag set in Canada. But the whole thing was scrapped.
  • QsCatQsCat London
    Posts: 134
    Mallory wrote: »
    @TripAces With regard to Westminster Bridge, they had already fully built the set. So had to use it.

    I believe a similar thing happened with NTTD, when Boyle was working on it, they had either fully or partially built a prison gulag set in Canada. But the whole thing was scrapped.

    So that was why? Well it was a convincing set! I assumed it was shot on the bridge.
  • MalloryMallory Are you ready to get back to work?
    Posts: 1,200
    QsCat wrote: »
    Mallory wrote: »
    @TripAces With regard to Westminster Bridge, they had already fully built the set. So had to use it.

    I believe a similar thing happened with NTTD, when Boyle was working on it, they had either fully or partially built a prison gulag set in Canada. But the whole thing was scrapped.

    So that was why? Well it was a convincing set! I assumed it was shot on the bridge.

    Yep

    There are some photos of the sets here:

    https://www.andersonandlow.com/gallery.html?gallery=SPECTRE:+Sets&folio=Projects#/8
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited March 24 Posts: 7,054
    It is a terrific set. I'm sure there's lots of mixing between the real location and the set but (other than the obvious like the road being damaged) I can't spot which is which.

    I think the Skyfall skyscrapers scene is sort of similar in a way: it didn't really occur to me that it was one massive set when I watched it.
  • ContrabandContraband Sweden
    Posts: 2,584
    Mallory wrote: »
    QsCat wrote: »
    Mallory wrote: »
    @TripAces With regard to Westminster Bridge, they had already fully built the set. So had to use it.

    I believe a similar thing happened with NTTD, when Boyle was working on it, they had either fully or partially built a prison gulag set in Canada. But the whole thing was scrapped.

    So that was why? Well it was a convincing set! I assumed it was shot on the bridge.

    Yep

    There are some photos of the sets here:

    https://www.andersonandlow.com/gallery.html?gallery=SPECTRE:+Sets&folio=Projects#/8

    I have the Westminster Bridge set stills if the link is dead
  • MalloryMallory Are you ready to get back to work?
    Posts: 1,200
    9-D670-F76-44-E3-4-E92-A4-D0-DDE32-AFD95-BD.jpg
  • ContrabandContraband Sweden
    Posts: 2,584
    mtm wrote: »
    It is a terrific set. I'm sure there's lots of mixing between the real location and the set but (other than the obvious like the road being damaged) I can't spot which is which.

    I think the Skyfall skyscrapers scene is sort of similar in a way: it didn't really occur to me that it was one massive set when I watched it.

    @mtm Ta-daaa...

    k5Ea3VC.jpg
    5zxQQE5.jpg
    U2Z90ty.jpg
    PnB9h8O.jpg
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Posts: 7,054
    Yeah it's great isn't it? You can start to see how these movies cost so much to make! :D
  • God damn. On the one hand it’s amazingly impressive. The sheer scale and authenticity of the sets are pretty much indistinguishable from the real thing. On the other hand, I kinda like it when I can tell what a “set” is when they’re super distinctive ala Ken Adams’ work! These are so real you can hardly tell what’s location and what’s a set (of course it’s all to the benefit of the movie, and NTTD shows they still have it in them to build expressive sets).
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    Posts: 5,890
    The problem with the end of SPECTRE isn’t what occurs on the bridge, it’s what transpires between the demolition of Blofeld’s base and the helicopter crashing.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    edited March 25 Posts: 10,424
    talos7 wrote: »
    The problem with the end of SPECTRE isn’t what occurs on the bridge, it’s what transpires between the demolition of Blofeld’s base and the helicopter crashing.
    Am I the only one who actually likes the Thames/Westminster bridge stuff as it’s own sequence? It’s fairly stripped down for a Bond finale but there is something quite thrilling and climactic about it IMO. If the regrettable backstory of this incarnation of Blofeld had been replaced with something of more merit I can’t help but feel the scene would’ve worked better for audiences.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    Posts: 5,890
    jake24 wrote: »
    talos7 wrote: »
    The problem with the end of SPECTRE isn’t what occurs on the bridge, it’s what transpires between the demolition of Blofeld’s base and the helicopter crashing.
    Am I the only one who actually likes the Thames/Westminster bridge stuff as it’s own sequence? It’s fairly stripped down for a Bond finale but there is something quite thrilling and climactic about it IMO. If the regrettable backstory of this incarnation of Blofeld had been replaced with something of more merit I can’t help but feel the scene would’ve worked better for audiences.
    Exactly, the bridge sequence was fine.

  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    Posts: 10,424
    talos7 wrote: »
    jake24 wrote: »
    talos7 wrote: »
    The problem with the end of SPECTRE isn’t what occurs on the bridge, it’s what transpires between the demolition of Blofeld’s base and the helicopter crashing.
    Am I the only one who actually likes the Thames/Westminster bridge stuff as it’s own sequence? It’s fairly stripped down for a Bond finale but there is something quite thrilling and climactic about it IMO. If the regrettable backstory of this incarnation of Blofeld had been replaced with something of more merit I can’t help but feel the scene would’ve worked better for audiences.
    Exactly, the bridge sequence was fine.
    I also like the collapsing MI6 building and Bond shooting down the helicopter (as implausible as it may be) but I’m likely in the minority on that one.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    edited March 25 Posts: 6,341
    The collapsing MI6 building is damn fine visual effects work, to its credit. If Bond had shot down the helicopter with something other than a PPK, it would have been pretty badass.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    Posts: 5,890
    jake24 wrote: »
    talos7 wrote: »
    jake24 wrote: »
    talos7 wrote: »
    The problem with the end of SPECTRE isn’t what occurs on the bridge, it’s what transpires between the demolition of Blofeld’s base and the helicopter crashing.
    Am I the only one who actually likes the Thames/Westminster bridge stuff as it’s own sequence? It’s fairly stripped down for a Bond finale but there is something quite thrilling and climactic about it IMO. If the regrettable backstory of this incarnation of Blofeld had been replaced with something of more merit I can’t help but feel the scene would’ve worked better for audiences.
    Exactly, the bridge sequence was fine.
    I also like the collapsing MI6 building and Bond shooting down the helicopter (as implausible as it may be) but I’m likely in the minority on that one.
    It could at least been done with a flare gun.

  • RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.
    Posts: 8,658
    The helicopter. Bond shooting down the chopper at that range to me recalls legend and classic storytelling for the knight facing the dragon with the chink in its armor--a missing scale that is its end. The turbine engine simply wasn't designed for an errant piece of metal entering from that angle.

    So reverting to the Walther PPK and bringing the villain down rings true to me.
    5381a3957f702bba1db1d65812ac483f_w200.gif
  • It just reminded me of the similarly anti-climactic finale to Die Hard With a Vengeance where John McClane brings down a helicopter with a small caliber handgun as well.
  • Posts: 1,063
    Bond should have gunned the helicopter down with that badass machine gun he picks up and admires in Q’s lab during the first act of the movie.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Posts: 7,054
    talos7 wrote: »
    jake24 wrote: »
    talos7 wrote: »
    jake24 wrote: »
    talos7 wrote: »
    The problem with the end of SPECTRE isn’t what occurs on the bridge, it’s what transpires between the demolition of Blofeld’s base and the helicopter crashing.
    Am I the only one who actually likes the Thames/Westminster bridge stuff as it’s own sequence? It’s fairly stripped down for a Bond finale but there is something quite thrilling and climactic about it IMO. If the regrettable backstory of this incarnation of Blofeld had been replaced with something of more merit I can’t help but feel the scene would’ve worked better for audiences.
    Exactly, the bridge sequence was fine.
    I also like the collapsing MI6 building and Bond shooting down the helicopter (as implausible as it may be) but I’m likely in the minority on that one.
    It could at least been done with a flare gun.

    I always think it’s a shame Q hadn’t given him another gadgety PPK for this film, maybe it carries one explosive round or something.
  • M_BaljeM_Balje Amsterdam, Netherlands
    edited March 25 Posts: 3,732
    But that Q lap not be at that Mi6, but backup Mi6 (Introduced in Skyfall by Tanner). Simpley can have been fixed by that simalar gun founded on the floor at closet where he found Madeline that Oberhouser henchman/teach simpley vergot in a hurry.

    Or found in boat by Madeline (next to open box) as left over when Silva take over Mi6 and used as symbol too of weakness Dench M (the reasen why we get Fienes M in first place). Better reference to Silva then that stupid connection earlier in the movie.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Posts: 7,054
    Yes that's true, he could have picked it up at HQ. Although I guess it would have been pretty slipshod of MI6 to leave guns lying about in a building they'd left! :)
  • Posts: 4,302
    There is a scene in Midnight Run where De Nero shoots down a helicopter with a pistol. He aims at the tail rotor which makes much more sense. It is interesting, given the absurdity of the whole Bond thing that fans (including myself) are bugged by that Spectre scene.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited March 25 Posts: 7,054
    patb wrote: »
    There is a scene in Midnight Run where De Nero shoots down a helicopter with a pistol. He aims at the tail rotor which makes much more sense. It is interesting, given the absurdity of the whole Bond thing that fans (including myself) are bugged by that Spectre scene.

    I guess part of the issue is that it draws attention to itself by being fairly realistic at first: his first few shots hit it but do no damage, so the audience kind of thinks "oh yes, of course that's what would happen if you shot a couple of tiny bullets at a moving vehicle like that: they'd tap through the bodywork but that's about it" (Blofeld and the pilot barely notice!), so when suddenly just one of those tiny bullets (shot from an even smaller gun!) brings the whole thing down it jars against what we've just learnt.

    I think it needed to be some kind of gadget or extraordinary gun: like a flare gun as Talos says (although obviously they couldn't do that again). I wonder what the idea of switching to the PPK was? A callback to the Skyfall shooting range bit? Or just a 'this is James Bond and that's James Bond's gun and he's awesome with it' message? Or did it need to be the gun he threw away at the end?
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    Posts: 5,890
    mtm wrote: »
    talos7 wrote: »
    jake24 wrote: »
    talos7 wrote: »
    jake24 wrote: »
    talos7 wrote: »
    The problem with the end of SPECTRE isn’t what occurs on the bridge, it’s what transpires between the demolition of Blofeld’s base and the helicopter crashing.
    Am I the only one who actually likes the Thames/Westminster bridge stuff as it’s own sequence? It’s fairly stripped down for a Bond finale but there is something quite thrilling and climactic about it IMO. If the regrettable backstory of this incarnation of Blofeld had been replaced with something of more merit I can’t help but feel the scene would’ve worked better for audiences.
    Exactly, the bridge sequence was fine.
    I also like the collapsing MI6 building and Bond shooting down the helicopter (as implausible as it may be) but I’m likely in the minority on that one.
    It could at least been done with a flare gun.

    I always think it’s a shame Q hadn’t given him another gadgety PPK for this film, maybe it carries one explosive round or something.
    Yes, it would have been a great time for something from Q branch.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    edited March 25 Posts: 6,341
    Also, as Bond produces the PPK after being captured by the Spectre goons and being forced to steal one of their Sig Sauer pistols before entering the MI6 building - either those goons are terrible at their jobs and didn't frisk him or the PPK was using the DAD invisible car technology! ;)

    In the case of the Midnight Run scene, it's certainly physically possible (though it would require a bit of luck) that De Niro could take out the tail rotor of a stationary helicopter, while standing still himself, from fifty feet away with a heavier calibre pistol. I can't remember what kind of pistol John McClane uses in the third Die Hard, but he was similarly close and wisely took down the power lines above the helicopter as opposed to shooting the vehicle itself.

    Bond has always pushed the limits of what is possible, but taking down a moving helicopter (that is some distance away) while standing on a boat going full speed over choppy Thames waters while using a pistol renowned for its short range stopping power was a bit much. He may as well have been throwing stones at it.

    It doesn't exactly ruin the scene or the film as both were already on shakey ground at that point anyway, but it bugs me in probably the same way the Aston Martin DB5 keeping up with the Ferrari in GoldenEye bugs motor enthusiasts.
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    Posts: 11,246
    I enjoy the London finale - M meeting Bond at the safe house, exploring the ruins of MI6 covered in orange webs, bringing down the helicopter - to me, the latter is a classic 007 moment, something you'd get points for in a video game. I like @RichardTheBruce's take on it.

    I imagine Bond would've used Q's Scubacraft with mounted harpoon seen on his desk, had they still been in the old digs.

    Anyway, still adding more NTTD magazines to the stack - the top one is a Hungarian crossword puzzle book with an image of Craig from the NTTD launch at Goldeneye.

    51070635646_76f1afa122_o.png
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    Posts: 6,341
    QBranch wrote: »
    Anyway, still adding more NTTD magazines to the stack - the top one is a Hungarian crossword puzzle book with an image of Craig from the NTTD launch at Goldeneye.

    51070635646_76f1afa122_o.png

    Your collection must be sizeable by now, @QBranch?

    Very novel.

  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    Posts: 11,246
    @CraigMooreOHMSS Thank you, my friend. 170+ NTTD items - but who's counting?
  • ImpertinentGoonImpertinentGoon Wattenscheid
    Posts: 461
    QBranch wrote: »
    I enjoy the London finale - M meeting Bond at the safe house, exploring the ruins of MI6 covered in orange webs, bringing down the helicopter - to me, the latter is a classic 007 moment, something you'd get points for in a video game. I like @RichardTheBruce's take on it.

    I imagine Bond would've used Q's Scubacraft with mounted harpoon seen on his desk, had they still been in the old digs.

    Anyway, still adding more NTTD magazines to the stack - the top one is a Hungarian crossword puzzle book with an image of Craig from the NTTD launch at Goldeneye.

    51070635646_76f1afa122_o.png

    So, um, why is he on a crossword book? Is there a Bond puzzle? And how in the world do you find something like that, if I may ask?
Sign In or Register to comment.