No Time to Die production thread

Comments

• talos7talos7 New Orleans
    jake24 wrote: »
    talos7 wrote: »
    The problem with the end of SPECTRE isn’t what occurs on the bridge, it’s what transpires between the demolition of Blofeld’s base and the helicopter crashing.
    Am I the only one who actually likes the Thames/Westminster bridge stuff as it’s own sequence? It’s fairly stripped down for a Bond finale but there is something quite thrilling and climactic about it IMO. If the regrettable backstory of this incarnation of Blofeld had been replaced with something of more merit I can’t help but feel the scene would’ve worked better for audiences.
    Exactly, the bridge sequence was fine.
    I also like the collapsing MI6 building and Bond shooting down the helicopter (as implausible as it may be) but I’m likely in the minority on that one.
    It could at least been done with a flare gun.

• RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.
    The helicopter. Bond shooting down the chopper at that range to me recalls legend and classic storytelling for the knight facing the dragon with the chink in its armor--a missing scale that is its end. The turbine engine simply wasn't designed for an errant piece of metal entering from that angle.

So reverting to the Walther PPK and bringing the villain down rings true to me.
    5381a3957f702bba1db1d65812ac483f_w200.gif
  • It just reminded me of the similarly anti-climactic finale to Die Hard With a Vengeance where John McClane brings down a helicopter with a small caliber handgun as well.
    Bond should have gunned the helicopter down with that badass machine gun he picks up and admires in Q’s lab during the first act of the movie.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    The problem with the end of SPECTRE isn’t what occurs on the bridge, it’s what transpires between the demolition of Blofeld’s base and the helicopter crashing.
    Am I the only one who actually likes the Thames/Westminster bridge stuff as it’s own sequence? It’s fairly stripped down for a Bond finale but there is something quite thrilling and climactic about it IMO. If the regrettable backstory of this incarnation of Blofeld had been replaced with something of more merit I can’t help but feel the scene would’ve worked better for audiences.
    I also like the collapsing MI6 building and Bond shooting down the helicopter (as implausible as it may be) but I’m likely in the minority on that one.

I always think it’s a shame Q hadn’t given him another gadgety PPK for this film, maybe it carries one explosive round or something.
  • M_BaljeM_Balje Amsterdam, Netherlands
    edited March 2021 Posts: 4,416
    But that Q lap not be at that Mi6, but backup Mi6 (Introduced in Skyfall by Tanner). Simpley can have been fixed by that simalar gun founded on the floor at closet where he found Madeline that Oberhouser henchman/teach simpley vergot in a hurry.

Or found in boat by Madeline (next to open box) as left over when Silva take over Mi6 and used as symbol too of weakness Dench M (the reasen why we get Fienes M in first place). Better reference to Silva then that stupid connection earlier in the movie.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Yes that's true, he could have picked it up at HQ. Although I guess it would have been pretty slipshod of MI6 to leave guns lying about in a building they'd left! :)
    There is a scene in Midnight Run where De Nero shoots down a helicopter with a pistol. He aims at the tail rotor which makes much more sense. It is interesting, given the absurdity of the whole Bond thing that fans (including myself) are bugged by that Spectre scene.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited March 2021 Posts: 14,861
    patb wrote: »
    There is a scene in Midnight Run where De Nero shoots down a helicopter with a pistol. He aims at the tail rotor which makes much more sense. It is interesting, given the absurdity of the whole Bond thing that fans (including myself) are bugged by that Spectre scene.

I guess part of the issue is that it draws attention to itself by being fairly realistic at first: his first few shots hit it but do no damage, so the audience kind of thinks "oh yes, of course that's what would happen if you shot a couple of tiny bullets at a moving vehicle like that: they'd tap through the bodywork but that's about it" (Blofeld and the pilot barely notice!), so when suddenly just one of those tiny bullets (shot from an even smaller gun!) brings the whole thing down it jars against what we've just learnt.

I think it needed to be some kind of gadget or extraordinary gun: like a flare gun as Talos says (although obviously they couldn't do that again). I wonder what the idea of switching to the PPK was? A callback to the Skyfall shooting range bit? Or just a 'this is James Bond and that's James Bond's gun and he's awesome with it' message? Or did it need to be the gun he threw away at the end?
    mtm wrote: »

I always think it’s a shame Q hadn’t given him another gadgety PPK for this film, maybe it carries one explosive round or something.
    Yes, it would have been a great time for something from Q branch.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    edited March 2021 Posts: 8,009
    Also, as Bond produces the PPK after being captured by the Spectre goons and being forced to steal one of their Sig Sauer pistols before entering the MI6 building - either those goons are terrible at their jobs and didn't frisk him or the PPK was using the DAD invisible car technology! ;)

In the case of the Midnight Run scene, it's certainly physically possible (though it would require a bit of luck) that De Niro could take out the tail rotor of a stationary helicopter, while standing still himself, from fifty feet away with a heavier calibre pistol. I can't remember what kind of pistol John McClane uses in the third Die Hard, but he was similarly close and wisely took down the power lines above the helicopter as opposed to shooting the vehicle itself.

Bond has always pushed the limits of what is possible, but taking down a moving helicopter (that is some distance away) while standing on a boat going full speed over choppy Thames waters while using a pistol renowned for its short range stopping power was a bit much. He may as well have been throwing stones at it.

It doesn't exactly ruin the scene or the film as both were already on shakey ground at that point anyway, but it bugs me in probably the same way the Aston Martin DB5 keeping up with the Ferrari in GoldenEye bugs motor enthusiasts.
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    I enjoy the London finale - M meeting Bond at the safe house, exploring the ruins of MI6 covered in orange webs, bringing down the helicopter - to me, the latter is a classic 007 moment, something you'd get points for in a video game. I like @RichardTheBruce's take on it.

I imagine Bond would've used Q's Scubacraft with mounted harpoon seen on his desk, had they still been in the old digs.

Anyway, still adding more NTTD magazines to the stack - the top one is a Hungarian crossword puzzle book with an image of Craig from the NTTD launch at Goldeneye.

51070635646_76f1afa122_o.png
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    QBranch wrote: »
    Anyway, still adding more NTTD magazines to the stack - the top one is a Hungarian crossword puzzle book with an image of Craig from the NTTD launch at Goldeneye.

Your collection must be sizeable by now, @QBranch?

Very novel.

@CraigMooreOHMSS Thank you, my friend. 170+ NTTD items - but who's counting?
  • ImpertinentGoonImpertinentGoon Everybody needs a hobby.
    I enjoy the London finale - M meeting Bond at the safe house, exploring the ruins of MI6 covered in orange webs, bringing down the helicopter - to me, the latter is a classic 007 moment, something you'd get points for in a video game. I like @RichardTheBruce's take on it.

I imagine Bond would've used Q's Scubacraft with mounted harpoon seen on his desk, had they still been in the old digs.

So, um, why is he on a crossword book? Is there a Bond puzzle? And how in the world do you find something like that, if I may ask?

So, um, why is he on a crossword book? Is there a Bond puzzle? And how in the world do you find something like that, if I may ask?
    I find most of this stuff on ebay. It's unusual, that's what I like about it. Couldn't spot any Bond puzzle, however, there is an interview in there in Hungarian - pic below for anyone who can translate:

51001772645_70f23bb1de_o.png
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    edited March 2021 Posts: 10,586
    TR007 wrote: »
    Bond should have gunned the helicopter down with that badass machine gun he picks up and admires in Q’s lab during the first act of the movie.
    If this was the Brosnan era the Q-boat would have done a sufficient job of shooting it down.
    The Q-boat would have shot a harpoon and hit the chopper where it counts...oh, from underwater.
    The issue I have is you have several iconic buildings there, and the climax is on the bridge!

I would have liked to see a scrap on either the London Eye or Big ben clockface
  • Junglist_1985Junglist_1985 Los Angeles
    They should have just ended the film with a proper Bond/Madeline escape from Blofeld’s Morocco base. They could have built that up into something great. Instant improvement. I actually stop watching at that point quite often and fill in the rest of what could have been in my imagination lol.
    They should have just ended the film with a proper Bond/Madeline escape from Blofeld’s Morocco base. They could have built that up into something great. Instant improvement.

Following this, a final confrontation with Mr. Hinx, who was thought to be dead, could have been epic, shades of Bond's encounter with Rosa Klebb in From Russia With Love or Tee Hee in Live and Let Die.

• TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports
    edited March 2021 Posts: 4,548
    QsCat wrote: »
    Mallory wrote: »
    @TripAces With regard to Westminster Bridge, they had already fully built the set. So had to use it.

I believe a similar thing happened with NTTD, when Boyle was working on it, they had either fully or partially built a prison gulag set in Canada. But the whole thing was scrapped.

So that was why? Well it was a convincing set! I assumed it was shot on the bridge.

Ah, yes. Thanks @Mallory and @Contraband and everyone else. I knew it was something along those lines! LOL.

I agree with @talos7 : what leads up to that bridge climax is a mess, but I also think it's partially because the writers were pigeon-holed in getting there. And yes, Bond using the PPK to take down the chopper was underwhelming. I never understood why Bond would let Madeleine walk away, alone at night. It made no sense to have Bond kidnapped and taken to the old MI6 building: the writers should have allowed Bond to get there through his own actions and detective work. It was lazy writing.

I still contend that all the writers needed to do was use the TSWLM as a template. Explosive is a threat and planted by the villain? Check. Bond girl has been kidnapped? Check. Henchman presumed dead is still out there and needs to be dealt with? Well, OK, but it maybe needed to be written in. Thus, Bond needs to fix or disarm the explosives, find the girl, fight the henchman again, and get to the villain (not necessarily in that order). It was really that simple.

As much as I love the helicopter fight in the PTS, Mendes would have been better off moving that to the end, with Hinx, over London. This would have maybe forced the train fight to be a little less climactic, but that would have been fine. Just my two cents.
  • ContrabandContraband Sweden
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited March 2021 Posts: 14,861
    TripAces wrote: »
    @TripAces With regard to Westminster Bridge, they had already fully built the set. So had to use it.

I believe a similar thing happened with NTTD, when Boyle was working on it, they had either fully or partially built a prison gulag set in Canada. But the whole thing was scrapped.

So that was why? Well it was a convincing set! I assumed it was shot on the bridge.

Ah, yes. Thanks @Mallory and @Contraband and everyone else. I knew it was something along those lines! LOL.

I agree with @talos7 : what leads up to that bridge climax is a mess, but I also think it's partially because the writers were pigeon-holed in getting there. And yes, Bond using the PPK to take down the chopper was underwhelming. I never understood why Bond would let Madeleine walk away, alone at night. It made no sense to have Bond kidnapped and taken to the old MI6 building: the writers should have allowed Bond to get there through his own actions and detective work. It was lazy writing.

It also makes Madeline look quite selfish: she's travelled back all this way to London with Bond and this is the moment she picks to say she's going? Bond has his hands pretty full with trying to save the world as she's just heard.
    I don't think it's lazy writing as such, it's just that when they were shooting the film the last act 'fell apart' according to Mendes: I think he just found himself stuck.
    Contraband wrote: »

Ha! How does he see? :D
    mtm wrote: »
    TripAces wrote: »

It also makes Madeline look quite selfish: she's travelled back all this way to London with Bond and this is the moment she picks to say she's going? Bond has his hands pretty full with trying to save the world as she's just heard.
    I don't think it's lazy writing as such, it's just that when they were shooting the film the last act 'fell apart' according to Mendes: I think he just found himself stuck.
    Contraband wrote: »

Ha! How does he see? :D

I have no idea..
    Never had a problem with the PPK vs. the helicopter compared to blowing up SPECTRE HQ with a single shot. Imagine if Bond had done the same in YOLT.
  • RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.
    Todd Rundgren - The Want Of A Nail (Letterman 5-26-89)
  • DonnyDB5DonnyDB5 Buffalo, New York
    Does anyone have access or a link to all those water marked set photos that came out a while back? There were a ton of them. I’d love to take a look at those again.
    edited March 2021 Posts: 3,018
    DonnyDB5 wrote: »
    Does anyone have access or a link to all those water marked set photos that came out a while back? There were a ton of them. I’d love to take a look at those again.

@DonnyDB5 DM me
    First look at Bond's new MI6 ID card for No Time to Die:

51083985417_448ec9efe6_o.png

Light hitting the hologram from different angles:
    https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/51083985847_0e204e3992_o.png
    https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/51014705310_e5ac5c1475_o.png