DC Comics Cinematic Universe (2013 - present)

Comments

• edited March 2021 Posts: 1,394
    mtm wrote: »
    I was quite enjoying it- I thought Wonder Woman in the terrorist thing in London was rather good- but I'm nearly two hours in now and it's a bit flat. Just lots of portentous talking against greenscreen all pitched at about the same level. And apart from a quick glimpse in the opening credits I haven't seen Batman yet. Nearly two hours and no Batman! I'd also forgotten how miscast the guy who plays the Flash is: he just can't do that whimsy stuff they want him to. There's a lot of it I'm kind of mentally editing out as I watch it: 'don't need that, don't need that'. Like the first scene we meet Aquaman he tells Bruce to go away and flounces off into the sea, and then -even though both people in the scene have left(!)- the scene keeps on going for at least another minute or so as some women sing for ages. Nothing happens, it's just longer.
    I might pick up on it later- it's not a disaster but the rather one-note tone means I need a break I think.

Again.This is a film made for the fans.Not haters like you who is here to endlessly whine about DC fillms you dont like.And its fine if you dont like them,but why waste your time with them as they are obviously not for you?

• mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited March 2021 Posts: 14,928
    AstonLotus wrote: »
    I was quite enjoying it- I thought Wonder Woman in the terrorist thing in London was rather good- but I'm nearly two hours in now and it's a bit flat. Just lots of portentous talking against greenscreen all pitched at about the same level. And apart from a quick glimpse in the opening credits I haven't seen Batman yet. Nearly two hours and no Batman! I'd also forgotten how miscast the guy who plays the Flash is: he just can't do that whimsy stuff they want him to. There's a lot of it I'm kind of mentally editing out as I watch it: 'don't need that, don't need that'. Like the first scene we meet Aquaman he tells Bruce to go away and flounces off into the sea, and then -even though both people in the scene have left(!)- the scene keeps on going for at least another minute or so as some women sing for ages. Nothing happens, it's just longer.
    I might pick up on it later- it's not a disaster but the rather one-note tone means I need a break I think.

Again.This is a film made for the fans.Not haters like you who is here to endlessly whine about DC fillms you dont like.And its fine if you dont like them,but why waste your time with them as they are obviously not for you?

Chill. Films are for everyone, not just a few people. If you read my post back you'll see I'm not as completely down on it as you like to think. Just because someone doesn't think that something is perfect it doesn't mean they 'hate' it: it is possible to be somewhere in between.
    For sure, I put that all on Snyder, and it seems he realized how unpopular that take was given that he featured Eisenberg in the more familiar version of Lex in JL. Though it’s kind of silly to think brief prison time suddenly made him have an affinity for three piece suits.

You do remember that they shaved his head at the end of BVS? ( Thereby completing the traditional luthor look ).And just because we didnt see him wear a three piece suit in BVS doesnt prove he doesnt like them.Like Superman,Snyder is depicting these characters on their journey to becoming the traditional versions of what they end up being.

It’s not just the sudden affinity for three piece suits, it’s also the erasure of his awkward personality tics that were prevalent all the way until his last scene in BvS (DINGDINDINGDINGDINGDING...).
    And i find it hilarious that you think Snyder would alter his vision based on critical reaction.

He actually did. He and Terrio have been on record over the years regarding having to change their original plans for JL after the negative reception BvS received. Luthor’s characterization was one of the many wildly unpopular things about that film.

From the sounds of the JL we are getting, it does sound like Snyder addressed those criticisms and considered them in his work to make a more likable film and it seems to have worked. That makes total sense because when he made BvS he was given the keys to the DCEU, but by JL suddenly he had to work even harder to prove he could deliver after the critical and financial underperformance of BvS. Good on him I say.

If you actually got your facts right,Snyder made a few changes due to being strongly suggested to him by WB who just wanted a kiddie friendly Marvel type film.He made them to compromise with the studio,not critics.

He even went so far as to agree to shoot Cavill in the red and blue suit for JL when they insisted he dont use the black one.But Snyder shot it with a material where he could edit it in post later to make it black.

Chill. Films are for everyone, not just a few people. If you read my post back you'll see I'm not as completely down on it as you like to think. Just because someone doesn't think that something is perfect it doesn't mean they 'hate' it: it is possible to be somewhere in between.

You clearly dont like Snyders DC films ( Again which is fine ) but you endlesly whine about them and The Snyder Cut clearly isnt going to change your mind as its a labour of love for the fans who do enjoy his work.I dont like Lord Of The Rings or Harry Potter so i dont waste my time watching them or complaining about them on a message board.

Back on topic,just how awesome was Darkseid? Hed give Thanos nightmares!
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom

You clearly dont like Snyders DC films ( Again which is fine ) but you endlesly whine about them and The Snyder Cut clearly isnt going to change your mind as its a labour of love for the fans who do enjoy his work.I dont like Lord Of The Rings or Harry Potter so i dont waste my time watching them or complaining about them on a message board.

I don't like those films either, so I don't watch them. Superhero films however I can enjoy. Please stop your endless whining about me watching a film which I happen to think is a little flawed.
    I'll watch the rest tomorrow: seems like the second half is likely to be the better half as everything is a bit more lined up now.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    edited March 2021 Posts: 23,265
    Kal is pure Eradicator when he is reborn until his humanity returns, I love it. This film is amazing.
  • matt_umatt_u better known as Mr. Roark

Snyder himself said this: “I don’t care about mainstream, this is for you (the fans)”.

Good thing is that at the end of the day most of the people really enjoyed it and the film ended up being Snyder’s best received film since... Dawn of the Dead.
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    Back on topic,just how awesome was Darkseid? Hed give Thanos nightmares!

I wish I could see how that interpretation could come to light.
    As I said in my review, I saw a guy get his ass handed to him, far from the legitimate threat that won most of his fights in two movies against the Avengers. It's actually quite interesting that Thanos took an axe to the shoulder and still mustered enough strength to kill half the universe, Darkseid took an axe to the shoulder and scampered back home.
  • matt_umatt_u better known as Mr. Roark
    Darkseid in the history lesson was “baby Darkseid” (Uxas in the comics) and he wasn’t yet the ruler of Apokolips.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Kal is pure Eradicator when he is reborn until his humanity returns, I love it. This film is amazing.

I thought that would have been an interesting angle for the Superman Lives scripts to go down: that Superman loses his humanity after he's reborn- it would give Lois a nice role in the film to make him human again, sort of a nice reversal of the Superman 2 plot. But I don't think any of them went that way.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    I meant to mention this earlier, great to see Marc McClure get more screen time in the Snyder Cut Jimmy Olsen Superman The Movie and Dax-Ur in Smallville, great episode by the way.
    I’m glad the Snyder cut exists. I still have problems with the film, but overall it is undoubtedly a much more cohesive film than the original. I don’t really have much interesting things to say.

However, I did find some of the musical choices very odd. I can only assume it was because they didn’t have access to a full orchestra, but at times I found the music taking me out of scenes instead of drawing me in.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    I know what you mean, it did sound very fake in places. And the occasional wailing woman is so incredibly 90s. But using Superman and WW’s themes properly does help it quite a bit. I’m fully onboard with her theme especially now: she’s the only character in the movie (so far!) to have ‘cool’ bits, if you know what I mean? Where you revel in her being awesome. A bit like Bond I guess! :)
  • MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”

This is dumb.

If someone is a fan of DC heroes, they're allowed to be critical of how DC properties are handled whether it's by Zack Snyder, Christopher Nolan, Richard Donner, Bryan Singer, etc. All is fair game. No property is exempt from praise or criticism. Once it's put out for the public, everyone is allowed their opinion to be expressed, no matter how much it bothers YOU.
  • GadgetManGadgetMan Lagos, Nigeria
    Ok, I haven't seen it yet, But I just got the full score and I'm really enjoying track 51-Batman, An Invocation to heal/To be seen. Although, I haven't heard other tracks, I'm still loving this track. It must be the new Batman theme, Junkie XL talked about.
    Now with two different cuts, I think I could actually make my own alternate cut that blends the two versions because there’s additions by Whedon that I actually miss in the Snyder cut, such as Batman calming down a nervous Flash.

Flash: “I don’t know what to do, I’ve never been in battle, I don’t know if I can help these people.”
    Batman: “Save just one.”
    Flash: “Which one?”
    Batman: “Don’t think, just do it. Get in, get out.”
    Flash: “And then what do I do next?”
    Batman: “You’ll know.”

It’s a good bit because it shows Batman’s experience with having worked with Robin before and that it shows him as a natural team leader, even if he doesn’t see himself like that.

I wouldn’t use all the Whedon material of course. There’s aspects Snyder pulled off better “he’s never faced us, not together”.

It also goes without saying I would trim the crap out of all the excessive fat. I actually want to watch this again, but I don’t want to endure 4 freaking hours. That’s just insane.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    I finished it and the second half is better: I kind of got in the swing enough to enjoy the climax- it's a pretty fun big action thing. But I think it may have made more sense to write it that the League were taken surprise rather than actually tracking down Steppenwolf though, because I was thinking 'why not ask the Amazons and Atlanteans to help?' They did pretty well the last time so it would seem worth a try.
    But then that epilogue absolutely kills it. Like everything else in the film it goes on for ages, but this time I honestly don't know what was happening (and it didn't help I had to turn the subtitles on to actually understand what Batman was saying! :) ) Another dream sequence which I don't know is relevant or just speaks of Bruce's state of mind. It seems to be just a load of references to things from the comics rather than anything that works dramatically, because every scene in it left me unsure what it was there for.
    Anti-life was mentioned in the half I saw last night but weirdly I'd forgotten what it is by the time I saw the end of this one. It's a big crop circle, I remember that, but I don't know what it is or where it comes from or even who found it.

For all of the stuff added in I do think there's still a bit of a hole where the team itself is concerned: suddenly they're all working together but they've barely met. They just automatically accept each others' presence but I don't feel they ever get to know each other- there aren't any relationships there. The closest you get to that is Flash and Cyborg digging the grave. If you compare with the Avengers that's something that movie gets very right. You know exactly what each character thinks of every other one and you get a sense of relationships forming. In this they're just a team and that's that.

Superman and Wonder Woman feel like they're pretty shortchanged (4 hours!) as they don't really get enough to do. I come out of this wanting to see not another Justice League film, but just a Superman one.

I'm afraid I think it has a really bad score as well. That's just not good music. There's an attempt at a big hero theme as Batman's standing on his massive Thundertank, but it's just... not good.

Anyway, over all as a film it certainly passes the time. I don't think it's bad at all and I can definitely understand people who get the references enjoying it more. It's not quite to my taste but it wasn't something I disliked enough to turn off.

Oh one note on the aspect ratio: when the League pop onto the lake to see Batman's big plane landing, is it me or is there an overhead shot which has actually been squeezed from a widescreen ration to fit into 4:3?
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    I had the exact same thought about that shot, @mtm. The one false note in the film for me.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    I was someone who was more forgiving to Leto after Suicide Squad, believing him to be short-changed by a ruthless edit at the time. Not anymore. He's just not very good in the part and that's a big problem with the epilogue considering how prominent he is in it.

Fundamentally though, my main issue with it is that it sort of undermines the triumph of the final act. We've spent three hours watching this crew come together and we get the satisfaction of seeing them work as a team and prevail against all odds, only for us to be immediately greeted with a scene where they have either gone missing, been killed or turned evil. I get why it's there (I'm assuming Snyder added these scenes with the mindset of "why not?", with it being his alleged last hurrah) but it wasn't a highlight for me. Ending it with the Martian Manhunter scene would have been more than sufficient, and made the film ten minutes shorter.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    I've just been googling it a bit: am I right in thinking that future setting actually isn't from a comic at all? It's so tonally odd and throws the ending off so much that I thought it must have been referencing something from the comics (like I assume the round table in Bruce's big hall must be from the Justice League comics)- something to keep the fans happy rather than to make sense as a film, but it seems like that was actually a choice of how to end it? I don't really get why you'd do that. And why would Batman be having premonitions of the future? How does the one where his mum turns into a demon and bursts out of her grave work?

Speaking of the triumph of seeing them come together as a team, the sheer number of slo mo shots of them standing together on top of a cooling tower like they were having their photo taken did make me laugh :) You only need to put one of those shots in, Zack.
    Doesn’t help that Affleck and Leto aren’t even in the same scene together, it became so obvious as I watched it that it distracted me. The epilogue scenes that were shot during COVID could have easily been edited out and the movie would end on the perfect note with the emergence of a new age of heroes montage. Superman revealing the S, Batman looking up at the bat signal, etc.

If you wanted to keep the with scenes Luthor, Joker, and Martian Manhunter, just relegate them to mid/post credits like Marvel wisely does.
    I'm trying to remember the previous film - was the scene with Luthor and Deathstroke the last scene before the credits or was it a mid-credits scene?

Suicide Squad had a mid-credits scene with Wayne and Waller, if I remember that one correctly too.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Doesn’t help that Affleck and Leto aren’t even in the same scene together, it became so obvious as I watched it that it distracted me. The epilogue scenes that were shot during COVID could have easily been edited out and the movie would end on the perfect note with the emergence of a new age of heroes montage. Superman revealing the S, Batman looking up at the bat signal, etc.

Yes, I must admit even those feel a bit redundant because we know they do all those things- it just feels like more slightly empty imagery played as if it has portentous importance. It just washes over me after a while. Superman had a blue S for a change in that bit though. Nice that he has a few outfits!

Another thing I didn't get: all the time Superman is alive people are moaning and complaining and scared of him, but the second he dies there are statues and flags and banners devoted to him everywhere. I just never felt that love and devotion to him which the response to his death suggested existed. Snyder always wants to go for the sad and melancholic, but unless you show the happiness and joy you can't have the grief.
    If you wanted to keep the with scenes Luthor, Joker, and Martian Manhunter, just relegate them to mid/post credits like Marvel wisely does.

This is me as a total comics newbie, and it's not a complaint with the film at all but just with me, but I must admit I laughed when Martian Manhunter said his name :D

I'm guessing that bit was a new reshoot too? Because Affleck doesn't look in the same shape at all in that conversation to me as he is in the rest of the film.

• Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start

Yes, I must admit even those feel a bit redundant because we know they do all those things- it just feels like more slightly empty imagery played as if it has portentous importance. It just washes over me after a while. Superman had a blue S for a change in that bit though. Nice that he has a few outfits!

Another thing I didn't get: all the time Superman is alive people are moaning and complaining and scared of him, but the second he dies there are statues and flags and banners devoted to him everywhere. I just never felt that love and devotion to him which the response to his death suggested existed. Snyder always wants to go for the sad and melancholic, but unless you show the happiness and joy you can't have the grief.

This is me as a total comics newbie, and it's not a complaint with the film at all but just with me, but I must admit I laughed when Martian Manhunter said his name :D

I'm guessing that bit was a new reshoot too? Because Affleck doesn't look in the same shape at all in that conversation to me as he is in the rest of the film.

All of the Manhunter scenes were done in the pick up shooting, as none of it was filmed during principal photography.
    I'm trying to remember the previous film - was the scene with Luthor and Deathstroke the last scene before the credits or was it a mid-credits scene?

Suicide Squad had a mid-credits scene with Wayne and Waller, if I remember that one correctly too.

In JL the mid-credits are Flash and Superman commencing a race, and then the post-credits is the scene with Luthor and Deathstroke.

Whedon wisely ended the film exactly where it needed with Superman flying up into the sky. I’m actually amazed that ending montage was mostly Snyder’s work, because it SHOUKD be how you end the film and yet they were immediately followed by those scenes that should have been relegated mid/post-credits.

In JL the mid-credits are Flash and Superman commencing a race, and then the post-credits is the scene with Luthor and Deathstroke.

Whedon wisely ended the film exactly where it needed with Superman flying up into the sky. I’m actually amazed that ending montage was mostly Snyder’s work, because it SHOUKD be how you end the film and yet they were immediately followed by those scenes that should have been relegated mid/post-credits.

I'd take a confident guess that Snyder's original intention would have been something similar to Whedon's, in that case - before the idea of adding extra scenes was ever an option for him and it became what we now have. I think I would have preferred the film to end that way, having had a couple of days to think on it now. I really disliked that Joker scene.
    edited March 2021 Posts: 8,021
    I dunno. Snyder was the guy who basically said “real movies don’t do that” when asked why MOS didn’t have a post-credit scene. In fact, Whedon’s cut is the only one out of his DCEU films to even do that. So him ending JL the way he does seems about in line with all his other films. As much as WB wants to chase that Marvel money, Snyder has actively shown disinterest in that.
    so Airplane ! isn't a real movie ?