Coronavirus Discussion

Comments

• echoecho 007 in New York
    DarthDimi wrote: »
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-56141867

All adults in the UK to be offered vaccination by 31st July.

Wow, that's very fast! :)>-

President Biden is saying much the same thing.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    echo wrote: »

Well, here in the EU it doesn't look like we'll get there anytime soon.
  • matt_umatt_u better known as Mr. Roark

Yeah and it’s really frustrating.
  • j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou. I can still hear my old hound dog barkin'.
    edited February 2021 Posts: 8,689
    matt_u wrote: »

Yeah and it’s really frustrating.

I can see your point (my own vaccination won't happen before June, probably later), but IMO it's another case of people in charge having to do something for the first time. If the EU commission (or for that matter the national governments) had ordered billions of vaccine doses for zillions of euros just to be sure, people and media would criticize them for wasting money. Politicians are between a rock and a hard place, considering they're already spending trillions (literally, for the first time ever) to mitigate the effects of lockdowns etc. I can forgive them for being cautious in making decisions. Especially if and when it actually works, people will think the measures taken were either too expensive or even simply unnecessary.

I don't envy the people in charge, wouldn't want to have their jobs, and think they have overall done a good one in spite of the circumstances. They don't have more foresight than their critics. Nor less.
  • CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    Define mainstream media? Is the website I linked just "mainstream media" because it doesn't say what you want it to say? And RT is not "mainstream media" because it has the "courage" to say that things occurred without any evidence that they occurred at all? @Thunderfinger if you're going to claim that mediabiasfactcheck.com is a "heavily biased propaganda tool", then you're going to have to provide some evidence to back that up. Despite what you may believe, you can't just say things and have them be true. Opinions aren't the same as knowledge, and they certainly are not equally valuable.

https://mediabiasfactcheck.com/about/

It tells you the specifics of the methodology used, as well as the specifics of their funding.

I see a guy and a few friends using subjective criteria in order to rate others credibility, based on how well their output alligns with whatever the official narrative is supposed to look like. I see they endorse a fake fact checker such as Snopes. I see that they work with Google, and that they are used by The Atlantic Counsil, a CIA/NATO organization. Sorry, perhaps these people mean well, but they are hardly a go-to source for finding out the truth about anything. I also see they use Wikipedia as a fact checking tool.

That's why you refer to Russian state media?

No, that isn t even where I read the quote. It was just the first that popped up when I was asked for a link. What does it matter if it is Russian or Western state media? What is it with you and your hatred for Russia?

Where did I say I hate Russia? All I'm saying is that a country that makes it a sport infiltrating or occupying parts of neighbouring countries (Georgia, Ukraine, etc.), where the opposition is murdered (and if that doesn't work, arrested) and any opposing media to the current regime is effectively taken down might not have the most reliable state media. But on the whole I have nothing against Russians, many of them are lovely people. Moreover I have a certain fondness for many Russian dishes and Russian music, allthough their television could do with some more intelligent shows, but hey, that counts for just about any other country as well.

You still want to know the difference between Russian and Western state media? How many invasions have the Norwegian state media been reporting as defence of the motherland?
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    edited February 2021 Posts: 45,489
    Define mainstream media? Is the website I linked just "mainstream media" because it doesn't say what you want it to say? And RT is not "mainstream media" because it has the "courage" to say that things occurred without any evidence that they occurred at all? @Thunderfinger if you're going to claim that mediabiasfactcheck.com is a "heavily biased propaganda tool", then you're going to have to provide some evidence to back that up. Despite what you may believe, you can't just say things and have them be true. Opinions aren't the same as knowledge, and they certainly are not equally valuable.

It tells you the specifics of the methodology used, as well as the specifics of their funding.

I see a guy and a few friends using subjective criteria in order to rate others credibility, based on how well their output alligns with whatever the official narrative is supposed to look like. I see they endorse a fake fact checker such as Snopes. I see that they work with Google, and that they are used by The Atlantic Counsil, a CIA/NATO organization. Sorry, perhaps these people mean well, but they are hardly a go-to source for finding out the truth about anything. I also see they use Wikipedia as a fact checking tool.

No, that isn t even where I read the quote. It was just the first that popped up when I was asked for a link. What does it matter if it is Russian or Western state media? What is it with you and your hatred for Russia?

Where did I say I hate Russia? All I'm saying is that a country that makes it a sport infiltrating or occupying parts of neighbouring countries (Georgia, Ukraine, etc.), where the opposition is murdered (and if that doesn't work, arrested) and any opposing media to the current regime is effectively taken down might not have the most reliable state media. But on the whole I have nothing against Russians, many of them are lovely people. Moreover I have a certain fondness for many Russian dishes and Russian music, allthough their television could do with some more intelligent shows, but hey, that counts for just about any other country as well.

You still want to know the difference between Russian and Western state media? How many invasions have the Norwegian state media been reporting as defence of the motherland?

Libya, Syria, Iraq, Afghanistan, Yugoslavia, to name the ones that spring to mind.

It is also apparent that you have been brainwashed by your own state media. But aren t you a bit off-topic now?
  • CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea

Libya, Syria, Iraq, Afghanistan, Yugoslavia, to name the ones that spring to mind.

It is also apparent that you have been brainwashed by your own state media. But aren t you a bit off-topic now?

Are you quite sure that's how they reported it? Interesting. How many troops did the Norwegians send to these 'invasions'? Is Norway still 'occupying' these countries? Forcing their natives to speak Norwegian? Handing them Norwegian passports?

I must admit that our state media seem to be on a roll: they already brainwashed me while I never follow them! Hats off to them!

Off topic? well, when it comes to pandemics it's kind of important to get your information from reliable sources. You claim RT was just the first one that popped up, but why use it then? Why not click on a link of a more reliable source with less a political agenda? Why not click the second or third link.
    Well, got my first vaccine dose today! Dont get the second until May!
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    edited February 2021 Posts: 23,334
    Mathis1 wrote: »

The vaccination centre was a bit surreal, I get my second dose early April (first dose was in January). Other than a bit of pain in left arm and slight tiredness no other side effects, think tiredness was from lack of sleep to be honest.

Could be worse. I am lucky if I get my first dose before then... :P
  • j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou. I can still hear my old hound dog barkin'.
    jobo wrote: »

Same here. Or actually it probably won't be before June at the earliest. And I'll be 65 in October this year, barring unforeseen events.

Oh, I'm not complaining. The complaint here in Ireland is that the rollout is slow! And theres a suspicion that the long gap in between doses is down to lack of supply! I like to think though its down to it being more effective this way!
    I work with Adults with Intellectual disabilities, and we never stopped working since the pandemic began, so am just relieved to have got the first dose at least!
  • Can't be slower than our rollout in Canada! Going to be at least September until I will be able to get it.
  • 007InAction007InAction Australia

Oh, I'm not complaining. The complaint here in Ireland is that the rollout is slow! And theres a suspicion that the long gap in between doses is down to lack of supply! I like to think though its down to it being more effective this way!
    I work with Adults with Intellectual disabilities, and we never stopped working since the pandemic began, so am just relieved to have got the first dose at least!

I think lack of supply of the vaccine is the problem and that sadly the richer countries will get it first.

Like i said before the vaccine formula should be given to other pharma manufacturers to stop this pandemic as soon as possible Worldwide not just for the highest bidders as seems to be the case.

I don't know what the United nations, WHO and others are doing to enable this ?
    Can't be slower than our rollout in Canada! Going to be at least September until I will be able to get it.

Not that I want to make this into a competition, but to give you an idea about how it is going I'd like to uote Blackadder:

Yes. Well, it started badly, it tailed off a little in the middle,
    and the less said about the end, the better. But, apart than that,
    excellent.
  • 007InAction007InAction Australia
    Pfizer is testing whether third shot will help tackle COVID-19 variants

A booster shot could be given six to 12 months after the first dose, with Pfizer testing whether it's needed to protect against future possible COVID-19 strains.
    https://www.cnet.com/health/pfizer-is-testing-whether-third-shot-will-help-tackle-covid-19-variants/
    I tried to talk some sense into an anti-vaxxer today. It was water off a duck's back. Terribly frustrating how weak their arguments, how strong their resolve, how profoundly dangerous and irresponsible their stubbornness.
    edited March 2021 Posts: 8,689
    I tried to talk some sense into an anti-vaxxer today. It was water off a duck's back. Terribly frustrating how weak their arguments, how strong their resolve, how profoundly dangerous and irresponsible their stubbornness.

Forget it, @DarthDimi, if we had had the Internet 50 or 150 years ago, the world would still be suffering from smallpox and polio. Idiots don't die out, they are just more vocal than ever.
    I'm sorry, Darth Dimi. I guess we will reach herd immunity one way or another. Me, I prefer the vaccine to catching the virus.

In the US today, they are saying they plan to vaccinate children in the fall, which is another important step.
    I guess both of you are right.
    The frustrating thing is that anti-vaxxers have nothing but the silliest claims to work with. They're not even close to something of any scientific plausibility. It feels like talking about female pregnancy with someone who believes that kids are grown in cabbage plants. The truth is that morons like these are not just people "entitled to their opinion"; they are dangerous idiots, left behind by the 21st Century.
    ... they are dangerous idiots, left behind by the 21st Century.
    Yep. Though not the only ones.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    I got the vaccine primarily to protect others, unfortunately we live in a time when conspiracy theories are out of control. I have been in close proximity to Covid and seen how ill people have got from it. Its a very real threat though I still hear from people that they think it's fake, which is ridiculous.
    I got the vaccine primarily to protect others, unfortunately we live in a time when conspiracy theories are out of control. I have been in close proximity to Covid and seen how ill people have got from it. Its a very real threat though I still hear from people that they think it's fake, which is ridiculous.

Well, what do you expect from morons who prefer to follow a guy dressed up as a shaman, or from flat earthers, bible fanatics and conspiracy theorists? "Entitled to an opinion?" No, this isn't about opinion, this is about endangering others because most people matured beyond the age of five, but some didn't.

Well, what do you expect from morons who prefer to follow a guy dressed up as a shaman, or from flat earthers, bible fanatics and conspiracy theorists? "Entitled to an opinion?" No, this isn't about opinion, this is about endangering others because most people matured beyond the age of five, but some didn't.

Unfortunately the groups you mention primary motive is often to seek attention and be disruptive.

Me personally I live in the real world and focus on fact when it's available.
    edited March 2021 Posts: 23,544

They can also choose not to administer the J&J vaccine. If that is the only one available, such a decision would be tantamount to euthanasia in the case of the many who will then still die from Corona virus. Quite the moral progress from our Catholic friends.

See, I just don't get it. If the FBI intercepts threatening messages from terrorist suspects, people get arrested and dragged to some max security prison. But the Church can antagonize the very thing we need to save people's lives and get away with it. Another one of those precious freedoms I suppose? Yet COVID has claimed many more victims than 9/11 already... If someone suggested we lower airport security to before 2001, he would be flogged out of the country. But conspiracy thinkers, religious creeps and certain presidents can, either through adverse action or inaction, contribute to the death toll and still have a large crowd worshipping at their althar.
    In the US, we are taught in school that people originally settled here from Europe for "religious freedom."

I have a UK friend who sees it differently: "We banished our religious crazies to the US."

The puritanical streak still runs deep here. And our Supreme Court continues to rule in favor of religious exemptions, allowing people to gather to worship during the pandemic. What could go wrong?!?
    Well, @echo, let's see if we can figure this out.

Catholics don't want us to accept the J&J vaccine because there's a remote connection to abortion. Abortion is wrong, isn't it? I mean, it's about killing people. But then so is refusing vaccines and keeping the pandemic going.

I'm wrong? Okay, I am. Because the good man from the article is fine with us accepting the other vaccines. It's not like we can just pick the one we like, but okay.

Still, I wonder if God really doesn't want us to treat our grandparents with a vaccine that has the potential to save their lives, regardless of where it comes from or how it was tested of whatever. The alternative is to not give them the vaccine and wait for another one, even if that other one may never come. And if they then get ill from Covid and eventually pass away, and I could've prevented this but didn't, how does that reflect on me? I may be one step closer to Heaven for not supporting a vaccine that has something to do with abortion, but ten steps removed from Heaven because I basically performed euthanasia on my grandparents by denying them a life-saving vaccine in the middle of a global pandemic with the highest mortality rates among their age group. Seems like a case of "neglect", which would look bad on my Afterlife resume.

Wrong again, I guess. Because "God has a plan for all of us"; yes he does. If you die from Covid-19, you were marked for death anyway and we should just accept it. No no no, no complaining about "I could have given them a vaccine that could have bloody well saved their lives"--no, my son, God wills it this way, or so Catholics tell us.

But see, I'm also confused. Because if that is indeed so, then God must also enjoy giving AIDS to babies in Africa because that's also part of the plan it seems. Yet I don't see too many Catholics denying God the entrance to their churches, even if that makes him about the biggest and cruellest murderer in our history. Hm. That's furthermore strange because that's like abortion in the extreme. Let the child be born, make it suffer and then take its life anyway and impose the worst misery and grief on its parents for them to endure for as long as they may live. Either way, I'm sure God wouldn't mind us taking a vaccine that a twisted mind could somehow relate to abortions if he himself isn't opposed to making innocent children suffer. Unless, of course, he is like that geezer Donald J., who used to say one thing now and totally deny having said it the next minute. I recall those days; it was fun laughing at his dementia, but they cancelled his show on TV. Something about losing--let's see: 1, 2, 3--every election, but I digress. Surely God is more stable and clear-minded that this clown. Where was I? Oh yes, the part where he likes killing babies.

But no, you're right, not God. He wouldn't. No, you see, AIDS is a filthy thing. God would never give babies AIDS. But hey, maybe all of that is a little, I dunno, beyond his control, that AIDS thing. Maybe God is secretly hoping we can create a cure for AIDS because he can't. (Otherwise, he would have, because God is great and wise and good--or so I've been told.) So with that in mind, God must surely want us to distribute every possible vaccine we have, no matter the science and research behind it, if it is meant to do good, you know, like saving lives and all?

So I guess the Catholic spokesperson has it all wrong, and J&J's vaccine will be most welcome in God's world. Well, I don't know about you, @echo, but I'm feeling a whole lot better now...

;-)
    In the US, we are taught in school that people originally settled here from Europe for "religious freedom."

I have a UK friend who sees it differently: "We banished our religious crazies to the US."

The puritanical streak still runs deep here. And our Supreme Court continues to rule in favor of religious exemptions, allowing people to gather to worship during the pandemic. What could go wrong?!?
    Yep, the ones that couldn't cope with society as they were too much off their rockers.

@DarthDimi tbh by now I think you should let it go. It's called darwinism. They'll die out eventually. Let's get everyone vaccinated who wants it. The rest can dig their own graves.
    Probably. 😉 But yeah, I will happily accept my vaccine when it comes.