Coronavirus Discussion

Comments

• CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    The virus does not take a day off, we have had similar bad decision making in the UK.
  • 007InAction007InAction Australia
    The virus does not take a day off, we have had similar bad decision making in the UK.

Have you had your second shot yet ?
  • CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    SaintMark wrote: »

Well, he did first become president of a failing country. oh, wait, he first became president and THEN..... anyway. We're not doing any better. 1 million cases on a population of 17.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!

Not yet, booked in for April for the second injection unless the Government decide to shorten the time frame between doses.

Not yet, booked in for April for the second injection unless the Government decide to shorten the time frame between doses.

They should shorten the time frame between doses.
    Did they say why it takes so long between doses ?
  • edited February 2021 Posts: 3,279

They should shorten the time frame between doses.
    Did they say why it takes so long between doses ?

Its strategic, to maximise vaccinating as many people as possible in the longest possible timeframe between both jabs, to get more people done quickly. 12 weeks has been tested as the optimum time, and which is why the UK is way ahead of most other countries with the rollout.

The idea is, if you had a choice to vaccinate both grand parents with one jab each, which gives them some immunity, and then 12 weeks later they get the second one - that is better than 1 grandparent getting both jabs done quickly, and the other one has none.
    Phizer were very clear at the beginning that their vaccine was meant to be administered first shot, then second shot after no more than three weeks. So the experts that spent millions and worked around the clock to get this out in record time were very clear about how it worked. But oh
    no the British government knows much better and instead decide to leave the second shot til twelve weeks later. It looks to me like our government massaging the figures. Instead of immunizing 5 million people properly they have half protected 10 million. Because 10 million sounds much better than 5. But is this luling people into a false sense of security
  • cooperman2 wrote: »
    Phizer were very clear at the beginning that their vaccine was meant to be administered first shot, then second shot after no more than three weeks. So the experts that spent millions and worked around the clock to get this out in record time were very clear about how it worked. But oh
    no the British government knows much better and instead decide to leave the second shot til twelve weeks later. It looks to me like our government massaging the figures. Instead of immunizing 5 million people properly they have half protected 10 million. Because 10 million sounds much better than 5. But is this luling people into a false sense of security

Bit more than half protected as the efficacy after 12 weeks is well above 50%
    cooperman2 wrote: »

The UK government have got a lot of things wrong during the pandemic, but the one thing they have got right is the vaccine rollout. We are still going to remain in lockdown whether 10 million now have immunity at 50%, or 5 million have immunity at 90%, so it makes no difference. No one is going anywhere until everyone is done.

The one thing it does do is give more people more immunity much quicker, even if it is only at 50 or 60%.
  • cooperman2 wrote: »

The UK government have got a lot of things wrong during the pandemic, but the one thing they have got right is the vaccine rollout. We are still going to remain in lockdown whether 10 million now have immunity at 50%, or 5 million have immunity at 90%, so it makes no difference. No one is going anywhere until everyone is done.

The one thing it does do is give more people more immunity much quicker, even if it is only at 50 or 60%.

It will also bring hospitalisations and deaths down which is the critical factor.
    cooperman2 wrote: »

It will also bring hospitalisations and deaths down which is the critical factor.

Exactly!
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    I hope enough people are going to accept their vaccine. I wish those staunch anti-vaxxers would just shut the bleep up but I'm also perfectly confident that the majority of people are smart enough to dismiss anti-vaccine hysteria as just another side-effect of deliberately spread misinformation.
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    edited February 2021 Posts: 5,975
    Once vaccines have been widely available and disseminated, it's going to force businesses to step up and force employees to get vaccinated, if they want to keep their jobs.

I don't give a damn about people's so-called "religious freedom" (to not choose vaccines) when the health of people globally is at risk.

Measles was all but eradicated but a bunch of religious yahoos have brought it back in the US.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    echo wrote: »
    Once vaccines have been widely available and disseminated, it's going to force businesses to step up and force employees to get vaccinated, if they want to keep their jobs.

Completely unacceptable.

Completely unacceptable.

It could easily become mandatory if governments make it so, but I doubt it'll have to come to that. For the time being, I too prefer not to force it upon people, if only because that would definitely fuel some ugly conspiracy thinking. Let's just say that I hope that enough people get vaccinated; then even many of those who yell they don't want it, will take it, don't worry. People yell in the trenches, but usually follow the rest of us back at base camp.
    I don't give a damn about people's so-called "religious freedom" (to not choose vaccines) when the health of people globally is at risk.

I am in total agreement with the fact that freedom of religion cannot conflict with national security, public health, formal education, politics, the law... Not a single aspect of someone's religious convictions can possibly function as a valid counterargument for getting vaccinated, especially when the health of those around you is at stake.

I'm also not sure, however, that all anti-vaxxers operate from a religious bias; many of them have simply been spending way too much time online, reading--and believing!--hilariously unscientific fearmongering such as the so-called link between vaccines and autism, or between vaccines and permanent arthritis, facial disfigurement, infertility or just "bad behaviour". But superstition, ignorance or lack of intelligence should not be allowed to translate as a freedom not to do that which has been demonstrated to be effective in our battle against a global pandemic.
    Measles was all but eradicated but a bunch of religious yahoos have brought it back in the US.

And this is indeed a very sad case of de-volution caused by society's charitable tolerance of the stubborn refusal to do what's in one's own best interest, all because debates about restricting certain freedoms immediately result in accusations of fascist behaviour, in ruined political careers, in endless legal battles, and so on. Yet, the fact that the measles have resurfaced in the Bible Belt should be approached with something stronger than mere criticism. After all, 1 out of 500 people will die from the measles, whereas only 1 out of a million people will suffer minor, temporary side effects from its vaccines!

The poison is in the thinking, not in the vaccine.
    I personally don’t think a vaccination will become a Terms and conditions of work @Thunderfinger Unless say you work with clinically vulnerable people.

I have no issue with vaccination passports either. Sure you can still travel, just not on a private plane filled with other people you might kill. Or go through a private property like an airport.

We already stop people with links to terrorist organisations coming into our borders. Covid kills way more. Simple maths.
  • NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    Matt007 wrote: »
    I personally don’t think a vaccination will become a Terms and conditions of work @Thunderfinger Unless say you work with clinically vulnerable people.

I have no issue with vaccination passports either. Sure you can still travel, just not on a private plane filled with other people you might kill. Or go through a private property like an airport.

We already stop people with links to terrorist organisations coming into our borders. Covid kills way more. Simple maths.

I think it'll end up being like the flu shot. Completely optional, recommended for the vulnerable, not needed for employment or travel.
    Matt007 wrote: »

I think it'll end up being like the flu shot. Completely optional, recommended for the vulnerable, not needed for employment or travel.

Only if sufficient group immunity is obtained, I suppose. Otherwise, they might have to put a little more pressure on people.
    edited February 2021 Posts: 5,975
    Sometimes people need to be forced to do the right thing, like pay taxes and get shots which will help us all and minimize/eradicate the disease.

Before children can start school in the US, they need to show proof of their measles/mumps/rubella vaccination. If not, they have to stay home.

People really need to put their communities first during a global health crisis.
    Dominic Raab hasn t ruled out vaccine passports in order to enter shops. The man is utterly insane and dangerous.
    edited February 2021 Posts: 2,353
    North Korea reportedly tried to hack Pfizer to steal COVID-19 vaccine tech
    https://www.cnet.com/news/north-korea-reportedly-tried-to-hack-pfizer-to-steal-covid-19-vaccine-tech/

Pfizer should be selling the vaccine formula to other companies to speed up distribution because it's a pandemic and it will save many lives ?
    Pfizer and Moderna executives and directors cash in billions from COVID-19 vaccine success

The development of lifesaving coronavirus vaccines has given pharmaceutical executives a huge windfall from selling stocks.
    https://www.news.com.au/finance/money/wealth/pfizer-and-moderna-executives-and-directors-cash-in-billions-from-covid19-vaccine-success/news-story/082139021c321d40a655cff17f6f1a08
  • RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.
    We’ll Have Herd Immunity by April
    Covid cases have dropped 77% in six weeks. Experts should level with the public about the good news.
    https://www.wsj.com/articles/well-have-herd-immunity-by-april-11613669731

Heard this discussed on the radio today. T cells. Science.

We’ll Have Herd Immunity by April
    Covid cases have dropped 77% in six weeks. Experts should level with the public about the good news.
    https://www.wsj.com/articles/well-have-herd-immunity-by-april-11613669731

Heard this discussed on the radio today. T cells. Science.

It's a prediction in an op ed, and not a good one. Herd immunity requires at least 70% immunity. Vaccinations are around 10% right now, and there are many people who are not taking vaccines. Those people will have to catch it eventually, making herd immunity that much further in the future, and putting a greater strain on the health care system.
    The only strain on the health care system here, is that many people are now diagnosticated over the phone for their various ills.

I find it weird that so many countries, my own included, can afford the enormous expenditures of vast test regimes and import of unheard of quantities of vaccines. Yet they cannot afford to build a better health care service that can meet the demands that are there.
    Preventable hospitalizations and deaths put a strain on any health care system.

Politicians find it difficult to look beyond their short-term needs, and overhauling health care is a very challenging one anywhere.
    Angela Merkel says that if there is a single unvaccinated person in the world, the pandemic will still rage.

How dumb does she think we are? Or is she really that dumb herself?