OCTOBER 29: Antlers
    NOVEMBER 5: Eternals
    NOVEMBER 11: Ghostbusters: Afterlife
    NOVEMBER 19: Mission: Impossible 7
    NOVEMBER 24: Encanto
    DECEMBER 10: West Side Story
    DECEMBER 17: Spider-Man Untitled Sequel
    DECEMBER 22: The Matrix 4
    Without a doubt now, the film will be linked up with the 60th Anniversary of Bond. To good an opportunity marketing wise to miss! Also with these new Covid varients that are appearing? I would not be surprised if it was pushed to 2022?!!!
    2021 Mainstream Film Release Schedule (as of 22/01/21):
    (...)
    OMFG! Almost only sequels, prequels and remakes.
  • Pretty much, that's most of this year's blockbuster film schedule.
    Pretty much, that's most of this year's blockbuster film schedule.

That's most of every years blockbuster schedule since at least 20 years.
    Studios give only money to franchise movies.
    Original screenplays, that do not adapt any other source material you will only see with low budget films.
    So big movies like "Back To The Future" or "Gladiator", that are not based on previously released material, don't get made any more.
  • edited January 2021 Posts: 3,160
    With some exceptions, though. '1917' etc...

If you applied the same Hollywood thinking of taking no chances to the 70's, I guess we would have no Star Wars, Alien or Rocky franchise.
    Zekidk wrote: »
    With some exceptions, though. '1917' etc...

If you applied the same Hollywood thinking of taking no chances to the 70's, I guess we would have no Star Wars, Alien or Rocky franchise.

Or any film made by Christopher Nolan ( Minus his Batman films obviously ).
  • RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.
    Yes @AstonLotus, that's exactly what I was thinking. Also Edge of Tomorrow came to mind.
  • The Sun is The Sun, but nevertheless an obvious issue that is interesting to think about. Not outside the real of possibility either, imo.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/tvandshowbiz/13847637/james-bond-re-shoots-product-placement-deals/amp/
    TheBondFan wrote: »
    The Sun is The Sun, but nevertheless an obvious issue that is interesting to think about. Not outside the real of possibility either, imo.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/tvandshowbiz/13847637/james-bond-re-shoots-product-placement-deals/amp/

We will get the answer when we see the movie.
    If Bond suddenly has a new Nokia mobile phone in his hands, then they re-shot some scenes. If not, then not.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    edited January 2021 Posts: 10,586
    Reshoots are incredibly expensive and probably a nightmare logistically due to covid. I can’t imagine there is much truth to this other than a few CGI replacement shots for Bond or Nomi’s phone.
  • OOWolfOOWolf Savannah
    How does that make any earthly sense? 'NTTD' is from 2019. What does it matter if it's not the newest model? The brand is still being advertised! Bond may not be fully tethered to this reality, but it's still close enough that the reality of the film somewhat matches the period in which it was created.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    OOWolf wrote: »
    How does that make any earthly sense? 'NTTD' is from 2019. What does it matter if it's not the newest model? The brand is still being advertised! Bond may not be fully tethered to this reality, but it's still close enough that the reality of the film somewhat matches the period in which it was created.
    Yeah I’m in the same boat. Everyone knows that the film was made in 2019 and I’m sure the audience will forgive some of the tech aging a year or two. The Sun is exaggerating without a doubt.

Clearly matters to the sponsors - we have seen reports that Nokia had to CGI a new model into the Lashana Lynch ad.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    antovolk wrote: »

Clearly matters to the sponsors - we have seen reports that Nokia had to CGI a new model into the Lashana Lynch ad.

Yeah I can certainly see it being a demand from the sponsors. I don't think the filmmakers will want to burn any bridges so they'll likely do whatever to keep the sponsors happy.
  • ImpertinentGoonImpertinentGoon Everybody needs a hobby.
    edited January 2021 Posts: 1,351

Yeah I can certainly see it being a demand from the sponsors. I don't think the filmmakers will want to burn any bridges so they'll likely do whatever to keep the sponsors happy.

Maybe they should have a very long talk with the folks over at MGM and figure out whether their ownership situation will lead to Bond having to use iPhones, iPads and so on exclusively from the next film onwards...
    Or they need Nokias for the villains. I seem to remember that Cupertino doesn't like it when their products are used by the baddies.

Maybe they should have a very long talk with the folks over at MGM and figure out whether their ownership situation will lead to Bond having to use iPhones, iPads and so on exclusively from the next film onwards...
    Or they need Nokias for the villains. I seem to remember that Cupertino doesn't like it when their products are used by the baddies.

They should just use the same method they used in CR.In the film,both Bond and Lechiffre used the same Vaio laptops!
  • NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    AstonLotus wrote: »

They should just use the same method they used in CR.In the film,both Bond and Lechiffre used the same Vaio laptops!

All the electronics were Sony (Ericsson phones as well as Vaio laptops), weren't they?

All the electronics were Sony (Ericsson phones as well as Vaio laptops), weren't they?

Vesper also uses a Sony CyberShot camera semi-prominently in Venice.
    Q to Bond "Here's our latest. It's a prototype, handle with care"
    Kid in audience: "Hey, I got one of those last christmas!" :-)
  • NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    edited January 2021 Posts: 7,518

Vesper also uses a Sony CyberShot camera semi-prominently in Venice.

Exactly. My point was that Sony seemed to have a deal to make all the electronics in the film Sony electronics, so it made sense that Bond and LeChiffre used the same laptop.

I think the phone Bond should have in the modern era is a phone built from the ground up by Q Branch, that looks exactly like an iPhone (to blend in).
  • ResurrectionResurrection Kolkata, India
    IPhone is perfect brand for bond. I hope they make a deal with them in future.
  • edited January 2021 Posts: 121

Brands payed tons of money to get their products advertised in the movie. Of course they want their latest products to appear in the film instead of products they released 2 years ago.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    Mr_Beach wrote: »

Brands payed tons of money to get their products advertised in the movie. Of course they want their latest products to appear in the film instead of products they released 2 years ago.

My first instinct was to agree with @OOWolf. A big "so what?!" rolled off my tongue. But then I realised the same thing as @Mr_Beach. The latest Bond film shows some of the most up-to-date luxury items, like cars, phones and fashion. That's part of the deal and, dare I say, also part of the charm.
    DarthDimi wrote: »

My first instinct was to agree with @OOWolf. A big "so what?!" rolled off my tongue. But then I realised the same thing as @Mr_Beach. The latest Bond film shows some of the most up-to-date luxury items, like cars, phones and fashion. That's part of the deal and, dare I say, also part of the charm.

And again I say: The version of the mid-budget Nokia phone isn't the problem. It's still a mid-budget Nokia phone! I would honestly prefer it if retirement-Bond was rocking an original 3310 (which might be a thing they do, but with the re-release from a few years ago).

Btw, I love that the claim for the Nokia/NTTD-campaign is: "The only gadget you'll ever need." And a year later it turns out you actually need a different one...

Yes I agree totally. The product placements need to be up-to-date, which will force EON's hand to get this released on streaming if cinemas remain shut this year, or they have to reshoot key scenes.
  • echoecho 007 in New York

Yes I agree totally. The product placements need to be up-to-date, which will force EON's hand to get this released on streaming if cinemas remain shut this year, or they have to reshoot key scenes.

I'd be very surprised if the contracts didn't include an "act of God" exemption.
    echo wrote: »

I'd be very surprised if the contracts didn't include an "act of God" exemption.

Me too.

Unforseen circumstances are unforseen circumstances.
    EON will not be forced to re-shoot single shots, not even digital.

And by the way: almost all big movies have product placement deals. We would hear from dozens of films going through this.

I'd be hugely surprised if the contracts weren't model specific. I cannot imagine they would sign a contract that says "The film will feature a phone from the manufacturer" and not "The film will feature the model X in the specification Y with added accessory Z."
  • edited January 2021 Posts: 625

I'd be hugely surprised if the contracts weren't model specific. I cannot imagine they would sign a contract that says "The film will feature a phone from the manufacturer" and not "The film will feature the model X in the specification Y with added accessory Z."

If so, EON has not to change the model of the phone.