No Time to Die production thread

Comments

• MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    edited January 2021 Posts: 13,882
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    I can't wait for the scene where Bond has to call Q because he can't log into his Myspace account.

When NTTD was filmed, Bond carried a Nokia 3210. ;))
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    Billie certainly isn't as pop-culture relevant as she was a few years ago, plus the song is old news by now. Imagine if Skyfall was a song Adele released in 2010 that they used, don't think it would've had the same impact.

I also agree on Malek, he was never a star to begin with, and FREDDIE MERCURY was a perfect role for him. He was lucky to get Bond off the back of it, but all the air has been let out of that ballon also.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    Billie certainly isn't as pop-culture relevant as she was a few years ago, plus the song is old news by now. Imagine if Skyfall was a song Adele released in 2010 that they used, don't think it would've had the same impact.

I also agree on Malek, he was never a star to begin with, and FREDDIE MERCURY was a perfect role for him. He was lucky to get Bond off the back of it, but all the air has been let out of that ballon also.

Was Billie Eilish that popular to begin with? I can't say that I have heard her songs get much airtime. By comparison, I have heard Midnight Sky by Miley Cyrus so much last year and still into 2021, that when I looked up the release date, I was shocked to see that it released as late as August of 2020!

Might NTTD be re-recorded by someone else, while the Eilish version is pushed to the end credits?
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    NicNac wrote: »
    DarthDimi wrote: »

And uh, class action lawsuits? What legal grounds? Enlighten us, please. This should be good.

Why not? Do you remember the lawsuit I took out against you Dimi, for putting out those photos of me and that sea turtle? I got damages, although you won custody of the turtle.

Something comes to mind. You were wearing the Borat swimsuit while "just showing the turtle a good time", weren't you? ;-)

By the way, I don't like the loop whistle in TMWTGG, I just don't. It makes me want to cry in my momma's lap. I feel that's more than enough legal ground for a class action lawsuit, no? I'm going to lawyer up and demand that Barbara be fired for that! Why? Because she is the face of EON these days and so in my narrow-minded views she is the only one making decisions, therefore the only one who I shall target in my "entitled fan" quest for a justice no-one really cares about. She wasn't even old enough to have anything to say about the loop whistle, but that doesn't make a difference. My fanboy anger has driven me insane. I don't care about the world, global warming, COVID-19: no, I demand satisfaction for not getting the Bond films that I want, when I want them and how I want them delivered to me! Hear me roar.
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator

Whilst I appreciate your concerns, I think you're forgetting one thing...Bond!
    I don't recall a Bond film being reliant on the title song artist. I'd say that's the least appealing part of the movie for most. Same with the villain. Sure it's good to have a good actor in the villains role. And the part has to be well written, but that's not a factor that will stop putting bums on seats.
    So regardless whether the film comes out in 2021 or further on, it's unlikely to have a massive effect on the film. The biggest thing about a Bond film, is that it's a Bond film.
    It's an event, it's bigger than the song, the villain even the lead actor. Bond is bigger than Connery, Moore, Brosnan or Craig. It's Bond. James Bond.
  • matt_umatt_u better known as Mr. Roark
    matt_u wrote: »
    I wonder if a potential buyer of MGM would want some sort of contractual agreement re regular production schedules from EoN. EoN have obviously run out of steam/ideas, and pandered too much to their star. On the other hand, we don't want sausage factory Bond movies (akin to Disney Star Wars releases). It's a fine balance. I'd be happy with a film once every three years, and preferably standalone entries.
    As much as I like Craig, he should have left following SPECTRE. The very end felt final.

The sausage factory approach seemed to work fine for 30+ years.

But I agree Craig should have stepped down between SP and Bond 25. Waiting 6 years to wrap up a story that was already pretty well wrapped up doesn't make much sense.

And regarding things seeming dated, I think theres little can be done to avoid it. When I first watched the trailer I was amazed and saddened by how much material seemed like recycled elements that have already been done to death in Craig's first four outings.

Bond is knackered, lost a step
    "The world has moved on, commander Bond"
    Theres a new kid on the block
    Someone has a secret past.
    Interview with a villain.
    Bond in hiding, again

Then you consider that Malek and Billie were both very "of the moment" picks in 2019, but "Bohemian Rhaphosdy" was a long time ago now, And Waltz is more than a bit washed up at this point.

You could be a teenager taking a date to see Bond 25, and your parents could have been to see CR on their first date. I think it's time for a big refresh after B25 finally makes it to screens.

They didn’t wait 6 years. Covid and lockdowns are hardly EoN’s fault, lol.

Covid didn't arrive until 2020.

Spectre was release in 2015.

Without the pandemic NTTD would’ve come out 4.5 years after SP. They “didn’t wait 6 years to wrap up the story”.
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    edited January 2021 Posts: 13,879
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    I can't wait for the scene where Bond has to call Q because he can't log into his Myspace account.

When NTTD was filmed, Bond carried a Nokia 3210. ;))

This is actually close to the truth, as one of Q's phones in NTTD is indeed a Nokia 3210.

See the first pic here for proof:

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/50805829903_68706041d2_p.png
    https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/49629803422_75efe619b7_o.png
  • NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator
    I agree with @Benny . We do seem to be snatching at reasons why this delay may cause the film harm. Bond has overcome bigger crises than this. And will continue to do so.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    Absolutely agree with @Benny and @NicNac ... It seems, though, that some have a real desire, for one reason or another, to see this film fail. That way they can continue to aim their figurative guns at Craig and Broccoli and blame them for the downfall of this franchise.
  • ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    peter wrote: »
    Absolutely agree with @Benny and @NicNac ... It seems, though, that some have a real desire, for one reason or another, to see this film fail. That way they can continue to aim their figurative guns at Craig and Broccoli and blame them for the downfall of this franchise.

Then Christopher Nolan can take control and cast Aidan Tuner as Bond, yes I think we can see right through some peoples vindictive little snipes at this current era.

Yes the previous era did knock them out at a fair rate but they were far from all great films with no issues.

I had Some Kind of Hero for Christmas off my Wife and it is utterly fascinating reading about the inner working of the making of these films and finding out that things were far from harmonious all the time.

Also I'm only as far as the chapter on NSNA.

There is a tendency to wear rose tinted specs when it comes to the previous era and think it was also much better then and Cubby was much more in control but I imagine he'd hit the same kind of road blocks that his Daughter and Step son have.

No BB & MGW aren't Cubby they are their own persons and I think he'd still be very proud of both of them despite the bumps in the road.

Anyone would think they'd run the series into the ground not that they'd relaunched the series with a new Bond and every film had been more than profitable.

The detractors o f this era always seem to forget the legal problems and focus on blaming Barbara and Daniel for this.

Of course Nolan would come along and wave a magic wand like Harry Potter and all would be perfect.

Well not on the evidence of his last car crash they wouldn't
    Whether or not NTTD will seem dated upon release should depend on how many years the film continues to be postponed. Seriously, I'm not too worried about the film seeming dated just yet. Unless of course it gets postponed several more years.
    I am a bit concerned about the series' future post NTTD. I just hope the turmoil of having to keep delaying this film doesn't put a damper on Barbara's enthusiasm for Bond for future outings.
  • MalloryMallory Do mosquitoes have friends?

Was Billie Eilish that popular to begin with? I can't say that I have heard her songs get much airtime. By comparison, I have heard Midnight Sky by Miley Cyrus so much last year and still into 2021, that when I looked up the release date, I was shocked to see that it released as late as August of 2020!

Might NTTD be re-recorded by someone else, while the Eilish version is pushed to the end credits?

I dont think they would want to damage their relationship with Eilish, and the bad publicity that would ensue.
  • 00Heaven00Heaven Home
    edited January 2021 Posts: 573

It's honestly embarrassing at this point.

I can rank my favourite Bond actors and all the movies. I can give pros and cons for each and state why and discuss it as a fan without coming across as a negative party pooper. At no point while doing this do I completely rag on any of them for being worse or better than the other or make other fans feel like complete garbage or be a WUM towards them for their preference. Life is way too short for that nonsense (or to even care if people ARE like that in the first place)

The dynamite comics thread has been pretty good for this. A lot of people disliked The Body (I can imagine some may have felt similar towards Reflections of Death, anyway, I digress). I appreciated the direction it tried to take but it hit way wide of the mark. I kinda like it. Boring in places. But it did something a bit different/experimental. There's no negativity in there, though, just a preference for one or another. No lobbying. No obsessing. No continuous bashing and negativity. No judging other members for their choices (which, by the way, I do believe should go both ways - but the lobbying does get a bit ridiculous when unchecked as it seems to have created a bias).

I question whether they're fans or trolls at this point. Maybe we should stop feeding them and they will miraculously find something better in their life. Or move onto a Marvel movie forum. Or a DC forum and continue bemoaning there, etc, etc.

As for the film, at this point I don't care. I love Bond. It'll arrive when it arrives. I do think April 2021 looks unlikely but I know that at some point I'll get to see it and that's all I care about. I get people are frustrated and really want to see it. I do, too. It'll get there.

EDIT: Would also like to add, I think we're in a great position where we can say that EVERY Bond actor we've had has knocked it out the park in one way or another. They just chose to accentuate one factor over the other. I'm not quite sure that Marvel or DC fans can say that about their own franchises... Yet... Here we are.
    Mallory wrote: »

I dont think they would want to damage their relationship with Eilish, and the bad publicity that would ensue.

Unless it was mutual.

I can’t honestly see NTTD being released this year , and I think it will take some time for confidence in going to the cinema to grow back.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Shardlake wrote: »

Then Christopher Nolan can take control and cast Aidan Tuner as Bond, yes I think we can see right through some peoples vindictive little snipes at this current era.

Yes the previous era did knock them out at a fair rate but they were far from all great films with no issues.

I had Some Kind of Hero for Christmas off my Wife and it is utterly fascinating reading about the inner working of the making of these films and finding out that things were far from harmonious all the time.

Also I'm only as far as the chapter on NSNA.

There is a tendency to wear rose tinted specs when it comes to the previous era and think it was also much better then and Cubby was much more in control but I imagine he'd hit the same kind of road blocks that his Daughter and Step son have.

No BB & MGW aren't Cubby they are their own persons and I think he'd still be very proud of both of them despite the bumps in the road.

I always think it's quite interesting just how much of a mess FRWL was during production.
    Mallory wrote: »

Unless it was mutual.

I can’t honestly see NTTD being released this year , and I think it will take some time for confidence in going to the cinema to grow back.

I'm with you, @MajorDSmythe. The few who wouldn't mind diving right back into cinema seats, either today or even after months of vaccination, won't suffice for the film to make the money it has to. A film like NTTD needs the widest crowd possible. And it's going to take a long time for the "new normal" (whatever that means) to have permeated all aspects of our lives.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    00Heaven wrote: »

It's honestly embarrassing at this point.

I can rank my favourite Bond actors and all the movies. I can give pros and cons for each and state why and discuss it as a fan without coming across as a negative party pooper. At no point while doing this do I completely rag on any of them for being worse or better than the other or make other fans feel like complete garbage or be a WUM towards them for their preference. Life is way too short for that nonsense (or to even care if people ARE like that in the first place)

The dynamite comics thread has been pretty good for this. A lot of people disliked The Body (I can imagine some may have felt similar towards Reflections of Death, anyway, I digress). I appreciated the direction it tried to take but it hit way wide of the mark. I kinda like it. Boring in places. But it did something a bit different/experimental. There's no negativity in there, though, just a preference for one or another. No lobbying. No obsessing. No continuous bashing and negativity. No judging other members for their choices (which, by the way, I do believe should go both ways - but the lobbying does get a bit ridiculous when unchecked as it seems to have created a bias).

I question whether they're fans or trolls at this point. Maybe we should stop feeding them and they will miraculously find something better in their life. Or move onto a Marvel movie forum. Or a DC forum and continue bemoaning there, etc, etc.

As for the film, at this point I don't care. I love Bond. It'll arrive when it arrives. I do think April 2021 looks unlikely but I know that at some point I'll get to see it and that's all I care about. I get people are frustrated and really want to see it. I do, too. It'll get there.

EDIT: Would also like to add, I think we're in a great position where we can say that EVERY Bond actor we've had has knocked it out the park in one way or another. They just chose to accentuate one factor over the other. I'm not quite sure that Marvel or DC fans can say that about their own franchises... Yet... Here we are.

This was like a breath of fresh air, and lots of common sense— thank you for this @00Heaven !
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    edited January 2021 Posts: 8,009

Was Billie Eilish that popular to begin with? I can't say that I have heard her songs get much airtime.

To be fair, a great chunk of things that are popular musically don't rely on airtime anymore.

That being said, I've heard Billie on the radio plenty.
  • DeerAtTheGatesDeerAtTheGates Belgium

Was Billie Eilish that popular to begin with? I can't say that I have heard her songs get much airtime.

To be fair, a great chunk of things that are popular musically don't rely on airtime anymore.

That being said, I've heard Billie on the radio plenty.

Yep, me as well. She had two singles released after NTTD, and they've been pretty much on the air constantly. As a younger Bond fan that's perhaps more surrounded by teenage girls (because of social life and family) than any long-term Bond fans, I can assure you she's still pretty popular among the younger age groups.
    If anything, she's proven she doesn't need Bond as she already released new material, and young people who might've bought a ticket to NTTD because of her, might now not do that anymore, because they (like her) have moved on.
    Young people want new things in a quick succession, and Billie Eilish does exactly that.
  • edited January 2021 Posts: 4,599
    I think one of the issues to consider is (it's just human nature) that the longer you wait for something, the greater the anticipation and the bigger the potential let down. This has nothing to do with the movie itself but the perception in the mind of the viewer. Obviously, promo and marketing are essential for all movies but when it's spread over such a long period, it will be very hard for the movie not to be dented by this factor IMHO, however unfair that is to the whole team.
    Can't wait until that crowd funded group of fans buys Bond from Eon for $700 million and we can then start bashing them.
    delfloria wrote: »
    Can't wait until that crowd funded group of fans buys Bond from Eon for $700 million and we can then start bashing them.

Good one, @delfloria! :D Imagina that, a fan-community-made Bond film. Not only would such a film never be made, even hypothetically speaking it wouldn't be worth a thing. We all have completely different expectations, demands, preferences and peeves. The first brainstorm session with 50 fans would end up in a Dr. Strangelove type of food fight. ;-)
    They'll probably hold off until 2022 at this point,
    In my opinion, that is a completely unreasonable, borderline hysterical assessment of the current situation.
    The 60th anniversary is too alluring, and remember the last time they celebrated an anniversary with a new film it was a smash hit.
    99.9% of the viewers don't care about any 60th anniversary.
  • NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    edited January 2021 Posts: 7,518
    Mr_Beach wrote: »
    They'll probably hold off until 2022 at this point,
    In my opinion, that is a completely unreasonable, borderline hysterical assessment of the current situation.
    The 60th anniversary is too alluring, and remember the last time they celebrated an anniversary with a new film it was a smash hit.
    99.9% of the viewers don't care about any 60th anniversary.

The only hysterics in this engagement seem to becoming from you, I’m afraid. I get it, you want to see the movie, we all do; maybe you even feel entitled to it for some god forsaken reason; you will unfortunately have to face reality sooner or later; your probably going to have to wait a little longer for your movie, sport.

It isn’t just coronavirus at this point affecting the release of NTTD; afterwards there’s an entire cinema industry hanging in the balance that could drastically affect how and when we see the film.
  • antovolk wrote: »
    mtm wrote: »
    Are the schedules really so full that they can't be out at different times? Are they still making films at the same rate they were 18 months ago?

no but there's just this backlog of delayed tentpoles....

And it keeps getting bigger...

I'm ambivalent about how this could play out for NTTD. On the one hand, there are a lot of blockbusters waiting in the wings - literally several potential billion-dollar films just sitting in the queue. Maybe competing in that market will be horribly cutthroat and it will hurt the film's chances.

On the other hand, there should be a huge amount of pent-up demand by the time cinemas actually re-open and people can go safely. So perhaps all those people will be going to cinema more often, in larger groups, during week days, and so on - maybe everyone will be able to do great box office for a while.

I don't have a crystal ball - just curious to see how it will work.

The only hysterics in this engagement seem to becoming from you, I’m afraid.

Saying that it will be delayed a bit is one thing. Saying that it will be delayed to 2022 is an entirely different ballgame. Unless WW3 starts, NTTD will come out in 2021.
  • NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    Mr_Beach wrote: »
    The only hysterics in this engagement seem to becoming from you, I’m afraid.

Saying that it will be delayed a bit is one thing. Saying that it will be delayed to 2022 is an entirely different ballgame. Unless WW3 starts, NTTD will come out in 2021.

We certainly hope so.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited January 2021 Posts: 14,861
    I don't remember seeing this nice shot before..?

ErIIlaNXMAAZspw?format=jpg&name=medium

mtm wrote: »
    I don't remember seeing this nice shot before..?

ErIIlaNXMAAZspw?format=jpg&name=medium

Book spot: Postwar: A History of Europe Since 1945, by Tony Judt.
  • GadgetManGadgetMan Lagos, Nigeria
    Very flemingesque pic.