Last Movie you Watched?

Comments

• LeonardPineLeonardPine The Bar on the Beach
    To Live And Die In LA

I really enjoy this William Friedkin thriller. It's an unconventional action film with no real hero as such. Special agent Richard Chance (William Peterson) is a difficult character to warm to. He is volatile and reckless in his pursuit of Willem Dafoe's criminal counterfeiter.

Some great set pieces in this including an incredible car chase culminating in our cops driving the wrong way down a busy freeway!

One moment in the film has always puzzled me. Willem Dafoe's girlfriend finishes her dance performance walks over to him and they kiss. It's shot from behind her and it's so obviously a man, then it cuts to other side and the character is female. I'm assuming Friedkin wants the viewer to think he's kissing a man and then realise it's actually a woman. But the cut is so awkward it looks ridiculous, and the first shot from behind definitely isn't Debra Feuer!

That small gripe aside this is a cracking 80's thriller. Great music also from Wang Chung! 😁

Great movie I bought the Arrow presentation of the film on Bluray several years ago taken from a 4K master.

That's the version I've got. Looks amazing!

It was more money than I would usually pay but I had to have it! 😁

Just looking at my Arrow Bluray now, I forgot it was double disk. Arrow really do fantastic sets, great booklets and the extra's are top notch and I like the reversable cover option. I currently have 9 Arrow Bluray...

The Wild Geese
    Who Dares Wins
    Remo
    Donnie Darko
    To Live and Die in L. A.
    Invasion of the Body Snatchers (Donald Sutherland)
    Lifeforce
    The Andromeda Strain
    Sisters

Great collection 👍

Arrow blurays I have..
    To Live And Die In LA
    White of the Eye
    Dressed To Kill
    Thief
    The Funhouse
    Inferno
    Tenebrae
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    To Live And Die In LA

I really enjoy this William Friedkin thriller. It's an unconventional action film with no real hero as such. Special agent Richard Chance (William Peterson) is a difficult character to warm to. He is volatile and reckless in his pursuit of Willem Dafoe's criminal counterfeiter.

Some great set pieces in this including an incredible car chase culminating in our cops driving the wrong way down a busy freeway!

One moment in the film has always puzzled me. Willem Dafoe's girlfriend finishes her dance performance walks over to him and they kiss. It's shot from behind her and it's so obviously a man, then it cuts to other side and the character is female. I'm assuming Friedkin wants the viewer to think he's kissing a man and then realise it's actually a woman. But the cut is so awkward it looks ridiculous, and the first shot from behind definitely isn't Debra Feuer!

That small gripe aside this is a cracking 80's thriller. Great music also from Wang Chung! 😁

Great movie I bought the Arrow presentation of the film on Bluray several years ago taken from a 4K master.

Just looking at my Arrow Bluray now, I forgot it was double disk. Arrow really do fantastic sets, great booklets and the extra's are top notch and I like the reversable cover option. I currently have 9 Arrow Bluray...

The Wild Geese
    Who Dares Wins
    Remo
    Donnie Darko
    To Live and Die in L. A.
    Lifeforce
    The Andromeda Strain
    Sisters

Great collection 👍

Arrow blurays I have..
    To Live And Die In LA
    White of the Eye
    Dressed To Kill
    Thief
    The Funhouse
    Inferno
    Tenebrae

Thief and Dressed to Kill I need to get. Is that Inferno as in the Sequel to Argento's Suspiria I still have yet to watch Inferno.
    To Live And Die In LA

The Wild Geese
    Who Dares Wins
    Remo
    Donnie Darko
    To Live and Die in L. A.
    Lifeforce
    The Andromeda Strain
    Sisters

Great collection 👍

Arrow blurays I have..
    To Live And Die In LA
    White of the Eye
    Dressed To Kill
    Thief
    The Funhouse
    Inferno
    Tenebrae

Thief and Dressed to Kill I need to get. Is that Inferno as in the Sequel to Argento's Suspiria I still have yet to watch Inferno.

Yes. Love Inferno.

Makes not one iota of sense, but what style! One of Argento's best looking films. And Keith Emerson's score is just so good!
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    To Live And Die In LA

The Wild Geese
    Who Dares Wins
    Remo
    Donnie Darko
    To Live and Die in L. A.
    Lifeforce
    The Andromeda Strain
    Sisters

Great collection 👍

Arrow blurays I have..
    To Live And Die In LA
    White of the Eye
    Dressed To Kill
    Thief
    The Funhouse
    Inferno
    Tenebrae

Yes. Love Inferno.

Makes not one iota of sense, but what style! One of Argento's best looking films. And Keith Emerson's score is just so good!

I can't recall if I discussed Inferno with you previously or another member though the film does intrigue me, I have ooked on streaming platforms for it, it was available on Prime Video at one point though not currently.
  • mattjoesmattjoes Kicking: Impossible
    edited December 2020 Posts: 6,718
    That scene, in combination with the preceding one (when Petersen and Pankow rob the guy), is the highlight of the film for me. I love how Pankow is so confused when the gunfire begins; he really can't make sense of what's going on, while Petersen remains focused and in control.

I'd noticed this moment before, but I'd never thought about it outside of the film. Interesting touch, in my opinion.

Great music also from Wang Chung! 😁
    Oh, yeah! Used to great effect in the title sequence (also very good in terms of its concept) and the counterfeit-money-making montage.

ToTheRight wrote: »
    To Live And Die In LA

Nearly 30 years ago I had an uncle who called me from his local bar and asked :

:......and I quote verbatim..........

"Did James Bond EVER make a movie called TO LIVE AND DIE IN L.A.?"

My initial instinct was to correct him that Bond is a fictional spy and not a movie director. But I resisted and replied.

"No, TO LIVE AND DIE IN L.A. is not a Bond movie."

"What is it, then?"

".......a crime thriller with Willem Defoe, directed by William Friedkin who did THE EXORCIST."

"Is it like a Bond movie?"

"...uh....no, not really".

"Are you sure?"

"I'm pretty damned sure."

"Okay, thanks!!!!!"

He hung up and proceeded to win a bet. Someone at the bar bet him this was a Bond film.

To this day I still haven't received my share of the winnings.
    Top notch story.

---

Edit: The ending of To Live and Die in L.A. is kind of curious, with Pankow becoming the "new" Petersen. Feels kind of surreal, a touch of strangeness to make things more distinctive.
    To Live And Die In LA

The Wild Geese
    Who Dares Wins
    Remo
    Donnie Darko
    To Live and Die in L. A.
    Lifeforce
    The Andromeda Strain
    Sisters

Great collection 👍

Arrow blurays I have..
    To Live And Die In LA
    White of the Eye
    Dressed To Kill
    Thief
    The Funhouse
    Inferno
    Tenebrae

'The Funhouse' , is that t he Tobe Hooper horror film? Saw it quite a few years ago, though am not a huge horror fan, it was pretty good, nicely staged finale!
    Mathis1 wrote: »
    To Live And Die In LA

The Wild Geese
    Who Dares Wins
    Remo
    Donnie Darko
    To Live and Die in L. A.
    Lifeforce
    The Andromeda Strain
    Sisters

Great collection 👍

Arrow blurays I have..
    To Live And Die In LA
    White of the Eye
    Dressed To Kill
    Thief
    The Funhouse
    Inferno
    Tenebrae

'The Funhouse' , is that t he Tobe Hooper horror film? Saw it quite a few years ago, though am not a huge horror fan, it was pretty good, nicely staged finale!

Yes mate. One of my favourite horror films. Just love the whole atmosphere of it and the monster is a true original!
    TENET (2020)
    Well, i was about to go see this in the cinema when lockdown happened. Am not sure i could have tolerated the sound!! Man, the audio is LOUD! Completely drowns out dialogue, though maybe that was deliberate on Nolans part as the plot is so complicated! Having said, i must admit to enjoying it. Its spectacular in every sense, with huge set pieces, and it moves like an express train. Spectacular also is Miss Debicki, ( she looks 10 feet tall!), though Kenneth Branagh is poor villain. Washington is adequate, nothing more! The whole backwards/ forwards stuff becomes annoying and its way too long, despite the fast pace. One scene that sticks out is Michael Caines (a Nolan regular!) appearance, poor Michael has to struggle saying dialogue while eating....with apparently new false teeth!!
  • 007InAction007InAction Australia
    TENET (2020)
    Well, i was about to go see this in the cinema when lockdown happened. Am not sure i could have tolerated the sound!! Man, the audio is LOUD! Completely drowns out dialogue, though maybe that was deliberate on Nolans part as the plot is so complicated! Having said, i must admit to enjoying it. Its spectacular in every sense, with huge set pieces, and it moves like an express train. Spectacular also is Miss Debicki, ( she looks 10 feet tall!), though Kenneth Branagh is poor villain. Washington is adequate, nothing more! The whole backwards/ forwards stuff becomes annoying and its way too long, despite the fast pace. One scene that sticks out is Michael Caines (a Nolan regular!) appearance, poor Michael has to struggle saying dialogue while eating....with apparently new false teeth!!

This looks odd ?
    tenor.gif?itemid=18325562
    Star Trek First Contact

One of the best Trek films. Really good story, a witty and riveting script and just perfect casting. James Cromwell as Cochran is both funny and moving. But Alfred Woodward steals the film with her brilliant turn. Her scenes with Picard are just so engaging and inspired.

Rarely puts a foot wrong and Jonathan Frakes assured direction makes this such an enjoyable experience.
    DANCE OF THE VAMPIRES (1967)
    Roman Polanskis marvellous horror spoof gets its annual Xmas viewing from me! Wonderful production design and costumes and a great score from Christopher Komeda. Great cast, the unique Jack MacGowan as the Professor hunting vampires with the aid of his naive assitant, Alfred (played by Polanski himself), the honeyed tones of Ferdy Mayne as the Count, and the luminous beauty of the tragic Sharon Tate.
    Polanski is more at home with the horror elements, than the comedy!...the hunchback pursuing a hound and coming back with blood on his face, the Count descending through a skylight on Tate as she bathes, and the macabre finale, the Dance of the Vampires itself which exposes The Professor and Alfred when their reflections are the only ones to show up on a giant mirror!
    Generally billed as The Fearless Vampire Hunters, but I prefer this title!
    Roman Polanskis marvellous horror spoof gets its annual Xmas viewing from me! Wonderful production design and costumes and a great score from Christopher Komeda. Great cast, the unique Jack MacGowan as the Professor hunting vampires with the aid of his naive assitant, Alfred (played by Polanski himself), the honeyed tones of Ferdy Mayne as the Count, and the luminous beauty of the tragic Sharon Tate.
    Polanski is more at home with the horror elements, than the comedy!...the hunchback pursuing a hound and coming back with blood on his face, the Count descending through a skylight on Tate as she bathes, and the macabre finale, the Dance of the Vampires itself which exposes The Professor and Alfred when their reflections are the only ones to show up on a giant mirror!

Must try and watch this again!

Merry Christmas mate 👍🎄🎅
  • 007InAction007InAction Australia
    edited December 2020 Posts: 2,352
    A Fistful of Dollars (1964)
    One of the best films ever made.
    The music is fantastico, One of the best film music scores ever.
    maxresdefault.jpg

Must try and watch this again!

Merry Christmas mate 👍🎄🎅

Merry Christmas pal!
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Rose_Island_.jpg
    Based on real events in the late 60s.
    The Brain (1969)
    A very silly, but equally enjoyable 60's comedy with a cast that includes Jean-Paul Belmondo, Bourvil, David Niven and Eli Wallach.
    Carry on Girls 1973 what would Christmas be without a Carry on Film. This one has two Bond Girls...
    Valerie Leon
    05acb1c7170cc953527a6791e58fecec.jpg
    Margaret Nolan
    %2Fmethode%2Ftimes%2Fprod%2Fweb%2Fbin%2F852107be-0ca4-11eb-94f0-d7c8706d29dd.jpg?crop=3193%2C2128%2C149%2C67
  • ThunderballThunderball playing Chemin de Fer in a casino, downing Vespers
    Meet Me In St. Louis (1944) A flawless gem and a true classic.

Anyway, I wanted to close out Christmas with my all-time favorite singer singing the original and best version of this chestnut:

Carry on Girls 1973 what would Christmas be without a Carry on Film. This one has two Bond Girls...
    Valerie Leon
    Margaret Nolan
    %2Fmethode%2Ftimes%2Fprod%2Fweb%2Fbin%2F852107be-0ca4-11eb-94f0-d7c8706d29dd.jpg?crop=3193%2C2128%2C149%2C67

Great choice!
    ITV3 ran 'Carry On' movies all through Christmas Day, and more today!
    'Up the Kyber' still remains my favourite!
  • MSL49MSL49 Finland
    Dead silence. James Wan can direct horror and action.
    edited December 2020 Posts: 23,271
    Valerie Leon
    Margaret Nolan

Great choice!
    ITV3 ran 'Carry On' movies all through Christmas Day, and more today!
    'Up the Kyber' still remains my favourite!

I find it difficult to pick the best many of the films blur into each other. I do like the earlier films when there was still a budget.
    ---
    Return of the Jedi my third favourite SW film, ever since I watched it at the cinema in 83 the ending is still one of the greatest in cinema history.

The physical and emotional battles Luke goes through in ROTJ constantly reinforces my utter disdain for TLJ, TLJ offends me.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    Mission Impossible: Fallout
    Cruise may be a nut job with a death wish, but this film still remains my favourite in the series, and a high watermark for the genre. The helicopter chase alone is just unbelievable.
    Cruise may be a nut job with a death wish, but this film still remains my favourite in the series, and a high watermark for the genre. The helicopter chase alone is just unbelievable.

Amazing film the action set pieces are phenomenal.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator

They were. I also think Fallout had the best balance if action, drama, and an ever so light sprinking of hour.

They were. I also think Fallout had the best balance if action, drama, and an ever so light sprinking of hour.

The scene when Tom is on motorcycle and the camera zooms in on him going through Paris and the M:I theme kicks in is brilliant. I often rewind that whole scene.

The scene when Tom is on motorcycle and the camera zooms in on him going through Paris and the M:I theme kicks in is brilliant. I often rewind that whole scene.

Especially the end of the chase, where he drops down into the waterway.
    edited December 2020 Posts: 23,271

Especially the end of the chase, where he drops down into the waterway.

The film is so tightly directed it really does pur at times, I was listening to the score earlier one of my favourites of series.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    @Creasy47

Spoilers

That's about it! Spot on, thanks for sharing that.
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    @Creasy47

Spoilers

That's about it! Spot on, thanks for sharing that.

No worries, Merry Christmas.
  • mattjoesmattjoes Kicking: Impossible
    National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation

Great fun.

gyinly9b2i8z.jpg