Who should/could be a Bond actor?

Comments

• NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    Dragonpol wrote: »
    Denbigh wrote: »
    Apologies to those who are opposed but seriously every time I see the guy I can't help but feel he'd be great as our next 007. This is a look at Callum Turner in the upcoming movie, The Last Letter from Your Lover.

EINEHANDVOLLWORTE_002.jpg

Not seen him in anything but he has a bit of a George Lazenby look about him.

Maybe we can cast him in a proper YOLT follow up to OHMSS...

That would be nice, wouldn't it? That novel is crying out for a faithful film version to be made of it. To my kind it's one of Fleming’s best novels. It was long said to be unfilmable as far as the Eon Bonds were concerned but perhaps the Craig era has made people more accepting of a more diverse type of Bond film again? Here's hoping anyway!

There was just so much potential for bringing Draco back too. A scorned crime lord, father-in-law of Bond anti-hero? Two men bent on revenge, perhaps exploring different ways to obtain it? It could have been amazing. If you were to ask me which is my favourite Bond novel, it'd have to be YOLT. I think about it all the time.

I wonder who could be cast as a modern day Marc-Ange?

Yes, well Raymond Benson did that of course in his continuation Bond novel Never Dream of Dying (2001). His making Draco a villain out for revenge there was rather controversial with fans but Benson pointed out that Draco was still the head of a criminal organisation (the Union Corse) and that it would be natural that he would blame Bond for his daughter Tracy's death.

Oh, cool, I’ve not read that. I’ll have to get to it.
  • MSL49MSL49 Finland
    I think we should ask Barbara who she has in mind.
    Go for it.

She’d tell you Daniel Craig.
  • Dragonpol wrote: »
    Apologies to those who are opposed but seriously every time I see the guy I can't help but feel he'd be great as our next 007. This is a look at Callum Turner in the upcoming movie, The Last Letter from Your Lover.

EINEHANDVOLLWORTE_002.jpg

Not seen him in anything but he has a bit of a George Lazenby look about him.

Maybe we can cast him in a proper YOLT follow up to OHMSS...

That would be nice, wouldn't it? That novel is crying out for a faithful film version to be made of it. To my kind it's one of Fleming’s best novels. It was long said to be unfilmable as far as the Eon Bonds were concerned but perhaps the Craig era has made people more accepting of a more diverse type of Bond film again? Here's hoping anyway!

There was just so much potential for bringing Draco back too. A scorned crime lord, father-in-law of Bond anti-hero? Two men bent on revenge, perhaps exploring different ways to obtain it? It could have been amazing. If you were to ask me which is my favourite Bond novel, it'd have to be YOLT. I think about it all the time.

I wonder who could be cast as a modern day Marc-Ange?

Most likely somebody of Italian heritage. I think the real interesting question would be; who would they cast as Blofeld and Bunt?

Might be a fun thread: Who would you cast in these roles in a modern YOLT followup to OHMSS?:
    Bond (Lazenby-esque):
    Tracy (Flashbacks):
    Draco:
    Bunt:
    Blofeld:

Maybe even Screenwriter / Director as well for those who know more about those things than I do.

These are my choices under the circumstances as you mentioned here
    Bond (Lazenby-esque)-Ben Starr
    Tracy (Flashbacks): Eleanor Tomlinson
    Draco:Anotonio Banderas
    Bunt: Kathy Bates
    Blofeld: Anthony Carrigan
    Hah Bates is a good call, brilliant actor
  • DragonpolDragonpol The Crazy World of David Dragonpol
    Go for it.

She’d tell you Daniel Craig.

They need to get a room. :P
    Has anyone ever suggested Edward Holcroft? He is best known for his role as an antagonist and then a villain in the two Kingsman movies. He is 33 and still looks younger, an asset in view of the fact that Bond 26 would probably not go into production before a few years from now. Here are two photos, one from a few years ago where he is dressed in the Bondian way I may say, and another more recent.
    hqdefault.jpg
    816662-800w.jpg
  • JeremyBondonJeremyBondon Seeking out odd jobs with Oddjob @Tangier
    Has anyone ever suggested Edward Holcroft? He is best known for his role as an antagonist and then a villain in the two Kingsman movies. He is 33 and still looks younger, an asset in view of the fact that Bond 26 would probably not go into production before a few years from now. Here are two photos, one from a few years ago where he is dressed in the Bondian way I may say, and another more recent.
    hqdefault.jpg
    816662-800w.jpg

He has a good handsome face, manly. How it should be. Nice.
  • Has anyone ever suggested Edward Holcroft? He is best known for his role as an antagonist and then a villain in the two Kingsman movies. He is 33 and still looks younger, an asset in view of the fact that Bond 26 would probably not go into production before a few years from now. Here are two photos, one from a few years ago where he is dressed in the Bondian way I may say, and another more recent.
    hqdefault.jpg
    816662-800w.jpg

I haven’t seen the Kingsmen films...but I like the look of him. How impressive is he physically speaking?
  • edited December 2020 Posts: 320
    I haven’t seen the Kingsmen films...but I like the look of him. How impressive is he physically speaking?
    It's hard to say. He has his fair share of action scenes in the second Kingsman installment, but most of them rely heavily on CGI. So it is difficult to form an opinion. You can always try with this scene. Nevertheless, I think he deserves a screen test.

He could maybe do.
  • I haven’t seen the Kingsmen films...but I like the look of him. How impressive is he physically speaking?
    It's hard to say. He has his fair share of action scenes in the second Kingsman installment, but most of them rely heavily on CGI. So it is difficult to form an opinion. You can always try with this scene. Nevertheless, I think he deserves a screen test.

Well he’s got that wild look in his eyes, can’t say that CGI is impressive though. I actually like this choice, more than my (unoriginal) choice of Aiden Turner. I’m sure he’ll bulk up. If I correctly recall, it’s not like Daniel Craig was the biggest guy before he was cast as Bond, and look what happened when he was cast? He’s big enough to pop someone’s head off in between his biceps.
  • ResurrectionResurrection Kolkata, India
    hqdefault.jpg
    816662-800w.jpg

Now that's a suggestion. Great find.
  • @Herr_Stockmann
    Great suggestion!!! Get Babs' number!!
  • cwl007cwl007 England
    hqdefault.jpg
    816662-800w.jpg

Strong suggestion, yep can see him as Bond. Decent actor as well.
    What those 2 photos do demonstrate is what has been suggested on this thread several times. That a younger actor can grow into his looks and become more suitable over time.
  • FatherValentineFatherValentine England
    Holcroft is an ok actor and a decent presence. I would think he is a little too posh for how they have portrayed Bond on screen so far, as someone a little rougher round the edges and with a less posh voice.

Holcroft isn't the foppish posh type -he's certainly masculine, but he really comes across as, or at least has been typecast as, the public school boy who people like to see taken down a peg or two. I can imagine him playing the sort of bully we see in the Young Bond novels rather than Bond himself.

He plays a similar role to this in that Netflix series about the birth of football, The Beautiful Game I think it was called. He actually invested the character with a bit of sympathy, and I thought he was the best thing in it.

He certainly deserves to be on the list, but personally I feel that there are more suitable contenders.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    I'm not too keen on Holcroft personally. He reminds too much of actors like Max Irons and Douglas Booth, who are both actors I wouldn't want to be considered either.
  • FatherValentineFatherValentine England
    I'm not too keen on Holcroft personally. He reminds too much of actors like Max Irons and Douglas Booth, who are both actors I wouldn't want to be considered either.

Agreed. I can see why anyone looking at those images of him would think he looks like a contender, though.
    Holcroft is an ok actor and a decent presence. I would think he is a little too posh for how they have portrayed Bond on screen so far, as someone a little rougher round the edges and with a less posh voice.

Holcroft isn't the foppish posh type -he's certainly masculine, but he really comes across as, or at least has been typecast as, the public school boy who people like to see taken down a peg or two. I can imagine him playing the sort of bully we see in the Young Bond novels rather than Bond himself.

He plays a similar role to this in that Netflix series about the birth of football, The Beautiful Game I think it was called. He actually invested the character with a bit of sympathy, and I thought he was the best thing in it.

He certainly deserves to be on the list, but personally I feel that there are more suitable contenders.

Agreed.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    Nice to have a new name instead of the usuals, though.
  • suavejmfsuavejmf Harrogate, North Yorkshire, England
    Nice to have a new name instead of the usuals, though.

He looks a reasonable suggestion certainly IMO.
  • DaltonFanDaltonFan California
    I think the late American actor Robert Lansing would have been a good Felix Leiter in Live And Let Die.
    As much as I agree with you about Booth, I would be more open about Irons. Not that this is my first choice, especially considering that he's 35, which is already almost too old considering how long we'll have to wait before Bond 26 goes into production, but after seeing him in Agatha Christie's Crooked House he struck me as a respectable contender. His performance as Charles Hayward gave a good idea of what he could be in the role and it was all in all convincing.

Max-Irons-Charles-Hayward.jpg
    1352d8700246efff5c4c4e8caa5b4eb5.jpg
  • edited December 2020 Posts: 8,379
    As much as I agree with you about Booth, I would be more open about Irons. Not that this is my first choice, especially considering that he's 35, which is already almost too old considering how long we'll have to wait before Bond 26 goes into production, but after seeing him in Agatha Christie's Crooked House he struck me as a respectable contender. His performance as Charles Hayward gave a good idea of what he could be in the role and it was all in all convincing.

Max-Irons-Charles-Hayward.jpg
    1352d8700246efff5c4c4e8caa5b4eb5.jpg

I would go for him he looks good

Also

https://screenrant.com/henry-cavill-james-bond-too-famous-ian-kinane/
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited December 2020 Posts: 6,012
    Must admit I’ve not heard of the International Journal of James Bond Studies before.
  • MSL49MSL49 Finland
    I think he is on EON's list.
    mtm wrote: »
    Must admit I’ve not heard of the International Journal of James Bond Studies before.

neither have I though I am wondering if i could get a job with it.
  • KOPKOP
    Definitely bookmark-worthy:
    https://jamesbondstudies.ac.uk/
  • ResurrectionResurrection Kolkata, India
    KOP wrote: »
    Definitely bookmark-worthy:
    https://jamesbondstudies.ac.uk/

Thank you for that.
  • DaltonFanDaltonFan California
    I think that Jim Cazivel should be in a Bond movie.