Who should/could be a Bond actor?

Comments

• ResurrectionResurrection Kolkata, India
    mtm wrote: »
    I'm watching Tenet. Robert Pattinson would have been the perfect choice. He's commanding the screen with his performance. He's really grown into his looks too. What a shame Batman got him.

Is it out to rent?

I wondered about that, too. Here it is still in the cinema.

Not sure about renting but it will be available for Blu-ray on 15th December.
  • QsCatQsCat London
    I'd be very happy with Jack Huston. Talented, handsome, a bit edgy, not too predictable.

Just looked him up. I can't see him being Bond [-X
  • MSL49MSL49 Finland
    I think he is not the best but not the worst either.
  • I'm watching Tenet. Robert Pattinson would have been the perfect choice. He's commanding the screen with his performance. He's really grown into his looks too. What a shame Batman got him.
    My issue with Pattinson, even before he was cast as Batman, is that he's too well known to play Bond. He would have been a great choice, and as you note he proves it in Tenet, his youthful appearance would have allowed him to keep the role over time, but he's too identifiable, too famous, for the part.

As for me, here are two lists, the first one ranks the actors who seem ideal to me if Bond 26 was to go into production in 2021, something impossible in my opinion, the second lists those who are still a little young today but who would be good choices in a few years, for a release between 2024 and 2025:
    1. Jamie Dornan
    2. Aidan Turner
    3. Ben Aldridge
    1. Nicholas Hoult
    2. Tom Bateman
    3. Jack Lowden
  • @Herr_Stockmann
    I've been saying on here for over a year now that it's going to be Jack Lowden. It's not that I necessarily want him, but that there's just a feeling in my bones.
    He's not obvious, he's the right age, he's been in some very well received films, he's suitably handsome for the part and he's clearly very talented.
    Plus, I like the fact he's not from the predictable Clive Owen/James Purefoy (pre Craig era)/Henry Cavill/Aidan Turner (post Craig era) school of unimaginative, paint-by-numbers fan casting.
  • FatherValentineFatherValentine England
    he's not from the predictable Clive Owen/James Purefoy (pre Craig era)/Henry Cavill/Aidan Turner (post Craig era) school of unimaginative, paint-by-numbers fan casting.

In other words, he's nothing like James Bond.
    edited December 2020 Posts: 737
    Jack Lowden looks like ChrisMD - a reference for the youngsters among you.
  • he's not from the predictable Clive Owen/James Purefoy (pre Craig era)/Henry Cavill/Aidan Turner (post Craig era) school of unimaginative, paint-by-numbers fan casting.

In other words, he's nothing like James Bond.

No, he's more progressive and imaginative than what's expected. It worked a treat with Craig. Like I've said before, I wish Jack O'Connell wasn't so short.
  • suavejmfsuavejmf Harrogate, North Yorkshire, England

He looks a bit ginger! A ginger Bond....no way! He’ll be burnt like a crisp abroad! Ha ha.
  • suavejmf wrote: »

He looks a bit ginger! A ginger Bond....no way! He’ll be burnt like a crisp abroad! Ha ha.

Lol. It's going to be him. Mark my words.
  • JeremyBondonJeremyBondon Seeking out odd jobs with Oddjob @Tangier
    Somehow I cannot stand Pattinson's face, nor his voice nor his demeanour.
    edited December 2020 Posts: 5,131

I’m not keen on Pattinson. I’d avoid a film with him in it.

The opposite to say a generic film with Roger Moore or Leo Di Caprio. I’d watch any film with those stars in it.
  • NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    suavejmf wrote: »

I’m not keen on Pattinson. I’d avoid a film with him in it.

The opposite to say a generic film with Roger Moore or Leo Di Caprio. I’d watch any film with those stars in it.

The Lighthouse is seriously good, would be a shame to miss.
    I'm not a big Pattinson fan either. To me, casting him as Batman is like casting Jim Carrey as Bond back in the '90's.
    Still, I'll reserve judgment if I ever see THE BATMAN.
    Maybe I just haven't seen enough of Pattinson's work to judge?
    ToTheRight wrote: »
    I'm not a big Pattinson fan either. To me, casting him as Batman is like casting Jim Carrey as Bond back in the '90's.

+1.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland

What about Pattinson makes him comparable to Jim Carrey?
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    I don't see the liking for Jack Huston. While a good actor, he doesn't come across very Bondish to me and is certainly not as handsome as some might say.

I also don't get the Jim Carrey/Robert Pattinson comparison. Very different actors with a very different career, and Pattinson being Batman just makes sense to me personally.
  • NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada

I think a lot of people only associate Pattinson with Twilight, which is a huge mistake. Easy to make, though, as he hasn't really been in a lot. But he's great in what he is in.
    Jim Carrey was just an exaggerated comparison. He was pretty huge in the '90's getting all sorts of films.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited December 2020 Posts: 14,861
    Denbigh wrote: »

I also don't get the Jim Carrey/Robert Pattinson comparison.

I wouldn't go looking for logic in this thread! :)

This has probably been shared before and seemed somehow relevant to this thread, but look at this video of Film '95 where filmgoers gave their opinions of GoldenEye, the big return of 007 to the screen. But who's that about 30 seconds in... ?
    :)

• Wow!! Great spot!! God, I miss Barry Norman.
  • ResurrectionResurrection Kolkata, India

I don't see the appeal as well. Most of his 'best' performance are mediocre at best, i want someone who looks effortlessly good.
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    Speaking of James Purefoy a page back, a new interview with him on "the job I didn't get"

https://www.radiotimes.com/news/film/2020-12-03/james-purefoy-james-bond-role/
    mtm wrote: »
    Denbigh wrote: »

I also don't get the Jim Carrey/Robert Pattinson comparison.

I wouldn't go looking for logic in this thread! :)

This has probably been shared before and seemed somehow relevant to this thread, but look at this video of Film '95 where filmgoers gave their opinions of GoldenEye, the big return of 007 to the screen. But who's that about 30 seconds in... ?
    :)

Elba would have appeared in Absolutely Fabulous around the same time, where Patsy tells him he looks like Sean Connery. Very funny.
    QBranch wrote: »
    Speaking of James Purefoy a page back, a new interview with him on "the job I didn't get"

https://www.radiotimes.com/news/film/2020-12-03/james-purefoy-james-bond-role/

Before Craig was cast, Purefoy would have been my first choice.
    My perception has alwasy been that EON have tried to introduce a different style of Bond with a differenet style of actor. Based on this, any actor with similar qualities to DC is out.
    I don't think its that black and white. With Lazenby they tried to redo a Connery style casting. Moore's first Bond movies were not very different in style and tone than Connery's last Bond film. Dalton was very different but let's not forget that he was a recast. I think overall and maybe with the exception of Craig, they have a generic portrait of the actor they are looking for, then they play his strengths or at least try to.
    I think casting Craig was the first time Eon consciously went out of their way to break the established Bond mould. Craig's success may mean they will be bold again.
  • ColonelSun wrote: »
    I think casting Craig was the first time Eon consciously went out of their way to break the established Bond mould. Craig's success may mean they will be bold again.

I certainly hope so. It's given the franchise the jolt it needed after the execrable Die Another Day. I'd love another daring and edgy choice, far removed from Aidan Turner or Henry Cavill. Bond was resting on its laurels before Craig. Please don't sleepwalk into irrelevance.
    I remember thinking Purefoy looked like a promising candidate back then. Possibly more so than Clive Owen. Still, hard to say.