Who should/could be a Bond actor?

Comments

• ResurrectionResurrection Kolkata, India
    Has anyone ever suggested Edward Holcroft? He is best known for his role as an antagonist and then a villain in the two Kingsman movies. He is 33 and still looks younger, an asset in view of the fact that Bond 26 would probably not go into production before a few years from now. Here are two photos, one from a few years ago where he is dressed in the Bondian way I may say, and another more recent.
    hqdefault.jpg
    816662-800w.jpg

Now that's a suggestion. Great find.
  • @Herr_Stockmann
    Great suggestion!!! Get Babs' number!!
  • cwl007cwl007 England
    Has anyone ever suggested Edward Holcroft? He is best known for his role as an antagonist and then a villain in the two Kingsman movies. He is 33 and still looks younger, an asset in view of the fact that Bond 26 would probably not go into production before a few years from now. Here are two photos, one from a few years ago where he is dressed in the Bondian way I may say, and another more recent.
    hqdefault.jpg
    816662-800w.jpg

Strong suggestion, yep can see him as Bond. Decent actor as well.
    What those 2 photos do demonstrate is what has been suggested on this thread several times. That a younger actor can grow into his looks and become more suitable over time.
  • FatherValentineFatherValentine England
    Holcroft is an ok actor and a decent presence. I would think he is a little too posh for how they have portrayed Bond on screen so far, as someone a little rougher round the edges and with a less posh voice.

Holcroft isn't the foppish posh type -he's certainly masculine, but he really comes across as, or at least has been typecast as, the public school boy who people like to see taken down a peg or two. I can imagine him playing the sort of bully we see in the Young Bond novels rather than Bond himself.

He plays a similar role to this in that Netflix series about the birth of football, The Beautiful Game I think it was called. He actually invested the character with a bit of sympathy, and I thought he was the best thing in it.

He certainly deserves to be on the list, but personally I feel that there are more suitable contenders.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    I'm not too keen on Holcroft personally. He reminds too much of actors like Max Irons and Douglas Booth, who are both actors I wouldn't want to be considered either.
  • FatherValentineFatherValentine England
    Denbigh wrote: »
    I'm not too keen on Holcroft personally. He reminds too much of actors like Max Irons and Douglas Booth, who are both actors I wouldn't want to be considered either.

Agreed. I can see why anyone looking at those images of him would think he looks like a contender, though.
  • NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    Holcroft is an ok actor and a decent presence. I would think he is a little too posh for how they have portrayed Bond on screen so far, as someone a little rougher round the edges and with a less posh voice.

Holcroft isn't the foppish posh type -he's certainly masculine, but he really comes across as, or at least has been typecast as, the public school boy who people like to see taken down a peg or two. I can imagine him playing the sort of bully we see in the Young Bond novels rather than Bond himself.

He plays a similar role to this in that Netflix series about the birth of football, The Beautiful Game I think it was called. He actually invested the character with a bit of sympathy, and I thought he was the best thing in it.

He certainly deserves to be on the list, but personally I feel that there are more suitable contenders.

Agreed.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    Nice to have a new name instead of the usuals, though.
  • suavejmfsuavejmf Harrogate, North Yorkshire, England
    Nice to have a new name instead of the usuals, though.

He looks a reasonable suggestion certainly IMO.
  • DaltonFanDaltonFan California
    I think the late American actor Robert Lansing would have been a good Felix Leiter in Live And Let Die.
  • Denbigh wrote: »
    As much as I agree with you about Booth, I would be more open about Irons. Not that this is my first choice, especially considering that he's 35, which is already almost too old considering how long we'll have to wait before Bond 26 goes into production, but after seeing him in Agatha Christie's Crooked House he struck me as a respectable contender. His performance as Charles Hayward gave a good idea of what he could be in the role and it was all in all convincing.

Max-Irons-Charles-Hayward.jpg
    1352d8700246efff5c4c4e8caa5b4eb5.jpg
  • edited December 2020 Posts: 9,730
    Denbigh wrote: »
    As much as I agree with you about Booth, I would be more open about Irons. Not that this is my first choice, especially considering that he's 35, which is already almost too old considering how long we'll have to wait before Bond 26 goes into production, but after seeing him in Agatha Christie's Crooked House he struck me as a respectable contender. His performance as Charles Hayward gave a good idea of what he could be in the role and it was all in all convincing.

Max-Irons-Charles-Hayward.jpg
    1352d8700246efff5c4c4e8caa5b4eb5.jpg

I would go for him he looks good

Also

https://screenrant.com/henry-cavill-james-bond-too-famous-ian-kinane/
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited December 2020 Posts: 14,861
    Must admit I’ve not heard of the International Journal of James Bond Studies before.
  • MSL49MSL49 Finland
    I think he is on EON's list.
    mtm wrote: »
    Must admit I’ve not heard of the International Journal of James Bond Studies before.

neither have I though I am wondering if i could get a job with it.
  • KOPKOP
    Definitely bookmark-worthy:
    https://jamesbondstudies.ac.uk/
  • ResurrectionResurrection Kolkata, India
    KOP wrote: »
    Definitely bookmark-worthy:
    https://jamesbondstudies.ac.uk/

Thank you for that.
  • DaltonFanDaltonFan California
    I think that Jim Cazivel should be in a Bond movie.
  • DaltonFan wrote: »

Loved him in Count of Monte Cristo. He would've been perfect to replace Brosnan.
    Today is indeed this guy's 25th birthday.

76757fe4d67429ae87f807fabeab55eab2-20-timothee-chalamet.rsquare.w1200.jpg

I still don't seen him as a potential Bond, but felt he deserved at least a HAPPY BIRTHDAY on this particular thread.
    DaltonFan wrote: »

Loved him in Count of Monte Cristo. He would've been perfect to replace Brosnan.

Too old, too American. And The Count of Monte Cristo was terrible.
  • MSL49MSL49 Finland
    I think Cavill was in it too.
  • TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports
    Well, well, well...as soon as I saw him in Bridgerton, I thought: Bond. I know there are those who don't see a person of color being James Bond, but I am not one of them.

From Grazia: "And next? Surely the Regé-Jean Page For James Bond campaign starts now?"

Yes, yes it does.

148259_2301.jpg?resize=1200%2C800&ssl=1

10208791.jpg?format=webp&width=680&height=816&quality=85

Call-Him-Page-Reg%C3%A9-Jean-Page.jpg

• mtmmtm United Kingdom
    I saw the trailer and thought it’s likely people would say he could be a 007 candidate, but also from the trailer alone I thought he seemed to be doing an awful lot of posing and squinting and eyebrow-raising which made him seem rather cheesy. Maybe he’s actually great in it once you get beyond the posing, I don’t know.
  • sandbagger1sandbagger1 Sussex
    I'm not entirely sure where I stand on the subject of Bond changing ethnicity, but like you I've been watching Bridgerton and yes, I too thought "he's totally James Bond" when I saw him. Very good looking and a good height. I'd definitely have him audition if I was in charge of the franchise, he's got a lot going for him.
  • sandbagger1sandbagger1 Sussex
    I saw the trailer and thought it’s likely people would say he could be a 007 candidate, but also from the trailer alone I thought he seemed to be doing an awful lot of posing and squinting and eyebrow-raising which made him seem rather cheesy. Maybe he’s actually great in it once you get beyond the posing, I don’t know.

This is everybody in Bridgerton, though. It's heavily overplayed by everybody. He might not be a great actor but I'd need to see him in a proper dramatic film to tell, for Bridgerton he's hitting the right marks.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom

This is everybody in Bridgerton, though. It's heavily overplayed by everybody.

Ah okay, fair enough.

Well if he's able to play things with a bit of an intentional campy sensibility (which I like in my Bond) and is a strong leading man then he definitely seems worth a look.
    He looks like he could do with putting on a bit of weight/muscle, but that's hardly impossible.
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    Think, if Bond 25 drops in October (assuming a delay) we probably won't see a new actor cast until 2025.

That narrows the choices somewhat. No more Tom Hardy, Elba, Fassbender.

I think anyone being considered has to be under the age of 38 currently.
    Many assume the video games will allow for bond to maintain recognition while EON wait out the Coronoa Virus.